Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 9/11/2012 3:50:11 PM   
Brundlesflies

OK - just checked out the footage in question & I must admit, Cameron did handle himself pretty well given the circumstances (much as it pains me to say )
Also further justifies my comments that Schofield was a twonk of the highest order

EDIT: Just realised this is being discussed on the British Politics thread already - oops!

< Message edited by Brundlesflies -- 9/11/2012 3:51:01 PM >

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 301
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 2:16:32 PM   
Hobbitonlass

The Hairy Cornflake is the latest to have been arrested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-20336798

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 302
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 2:28:47 PM   
Sinatra

Who's next Noel Edmunds...? it beggars belief...

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 303
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 2:36:52 PM   
Cruisecontroller

There have been some unpleasent allegations about him recently which he denied like Freddie Starr so this doesn`t surprise me.

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 15/11/2012 2:37:27 PM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 304
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 2:40:37 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Is it wrong that the first thing that went through my head was "quack, quack, oooops"

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

it buggars belief...

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 305
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 3:08:50 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Is it wrong that the first thing that went through my head was "quack, quack, oooops"

What went through my head is- 'I thought he was dead'

Was surprised to see Jon Stewart tackle the Jimmy Savile/BBC story last night. Must have been a slow news day in America.....

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 15/11/2012 3:48:44 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 306
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 3:56:25 PM   
steffols

This is getting horrendously out of hand.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9680645/Lord-McAlpine-threatens-to-sue-Speakers-wife-Sally-Bercow.html

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 307
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 4:04:55 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9680645/Lord-McAlpine-threatens-to-sue-Speakers-wife-Sally-Bercow.html

And so he should do as well. Sally Bercow is a silly cow, she should know better than to "tweet" rubbish like that.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 308
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 4:09:50 PM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

And so he should do as well. Sally Bercow is a silly cow, she should know better than to "tweet" rubbish like that.

She knew fine well what she was doing I have no doubt. The *innocent face* is pretty much an admission as to she knew exactly why he was trending. Its baffling thats shes allowed such free reign like she has. I can't see the tories being quite so understanding if Samantha Cameron was to come away with half the crap Sally Bercow gets away with.

What I'm concerned about is the report seems to suggest that he's going to sue the arse off anyone who even uttered his name during the furore last week including people who have previously deleted tweets.

< Message edited by steffols -- 15/11/2012 4:10:22 PM >

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 309
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 4:14:12 PM   
Rhubarb

Whether she knew what she was doing or not (obviously she did), she didn't say "Lord McAlpine is a peado" (neither am I saying that in case he's reading) so I can't see how that's libel really.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 310
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 4:17:17 PM   
elab49

So he's suing Twitter for saying his name, the BBC for not saying his name and ITV for possibly writing his name?

What's he going to be doing about the issue with the police and Parliament?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 311
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 4:19:01 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Whether she knew what she was doing or not (obviously she did), she didn't say "Lord McAlpine is a peado" (neither am I saying that in case he's reading) so I can't see how that's libel really.

I think we all know whose informed and qualified opinion we need on this.

If only Jim hadn't gone and got himself banned.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 312
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 4:23:00 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Yeah, I can't see how commenting on a story that was all over the news is libellous. She's not repeating the libel, she's mentioning the fact that his name is trending. Nudge and wink aside, I'm not sure what she's done wrong.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 313
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 4:28:17 PM   
matty_b

She is an utter twat, though. Can we sue her for that?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 314
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 4:32:36 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I do like the idea of suing people for being twats. Might get Clarkson off television for good.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 315
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 4:35:38 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I do like the idea of suing people for being twats. Might get Clarkson off television for good.

I like this idea. What an unconscionable dickwad.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 316
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 5:40:02 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Yeah, I can't see how commenting on a story that was all over the news is libellous. She's not repeating the libel, she's mentioning the fact that his name is trending. Nudge and wink aside, I'm not sure what she's done wrong.

Yeah, you're right, but the nudge and wink was enough cause a furore. I'm sure she wasn't the first to mention it, but by tweeting to her thousands (I assume) of followers, she's insinuating what we know she was insinuating, if that makes sense.
For me or you to do it, it probably wouldn't cause much harm (unless you are Piers Morgan ) but for someone in such high regard, with a husband in high office, a lot of people might have thoguth she had proof, being more in-the-know, and pre-empting a story which was about to break.
I'm not sure of Lord Mcalpine's sexual preferences, but for someone in the public eye to insinuate someone else in the public eye is a kiddie-fiddler is pretty nasty, and for Lord McAlpine, something he may never shake off.
Personally, if I were Lord McAlpine, I'd do everything I could to ruin the cow. suing would just be the start.

And as for DLT, anybody with a beard who's named after a boring sandwich deserves it.

< Message edited by jonson -- 15/11/2012 5:41:55 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 317
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 5:45:59 PM   
elab49

I'd generally agree but for context - her 1000s of followers were kind of irrelevant if the name was actually trending. That meant everyone using Twitter saw it, no matter who they followed. Click the trend to see why and bob's your uncle. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 318
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 6:07:25 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'd generally agree but for context - her 1000s of followers were kind of irrelevant if the name was actually trending. That meant everyone using Twitter saw it, no matter who they followed. Click the trend to see why and bob's your uncle. 

HOW DARE YOU! My Uncle Bob never, well, he might have done once or twice, that time at the family barbecue springs to mind, couldn't sit down for days.......etc

Yeah, I don't do twitter, but have a good idea what trending is. I think she was just very stupid and naive to not think her re-tweet, or mention of it, wouldn't be taken a bit more seriously than Mr Average Twitter user. It just gave a bit more, I don't know, truthfullness (is that word?) to the "suggestions" or "allegations".
As I said, I dont use twitter but honestly get fed up with the constant stories surrounding it. I thought facebook was bad enough, but this seems 100 times worse, and the stupidity of people who tweet stuff to gain popularity or controversy just makes me glad I have no interest.
Thsi forum has had it's fair share of spam, unkind commetns, nasty remarks (I might even be guilty myself in the past) which is infuriating enough, I think my head would explode if I was a twitterer.
For someone like Sally Burcow, who I assume is a very smart, hard-working lady, it makes me sad that she can then be so stupid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 319
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 6:09:46 PM   
elab49

Trending topics appear down the left hand side of your twitter feed - or, at least, the top 10 do. Solast night, eg, the England game was trending and you could tell who was scoring from the names that trended.

So every single person on twitter can see the top 10 trending items - and if it was McAlpine, then everyone saw it.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 15/11/2012 6:15:07 PM >

quote:

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 320
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 6:24:53 PM   
jonson

Yeah, I know that, I actuallt have a twitter account but someone does it for me.
I think my point, and you know what I mean, is that for millions of people to be trending the same thing is one thing, but for the wife of the Leader of the House of Commons to come and add her tuppennies worth is just stupid.
If everyone saw McAlpine was trending, why did she insisit on mentioning it herself other than to fan the flames?
She is in a position of responsability and should act accordingly, especially when accusations of child abuse are being thrown about.
Saying that, I don't think anyone here is actualy defending her are they?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 321
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 6:25:31 PM   
sanchia

A further arrest made, and another of those names which has been drifting around in association with this whole thing. If the McAlpine thing is anything to go on it shows how reliable they are.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 322
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 6:33:27 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Yeah, I know that, I actuallt have a twitter account but someone does it for me.
I think my point, and you know what I mean, is that for millions of people to be trending the same thing is one thing, but for the wife of the Leader of the House of Commons to come and add her tuppennies worth is just stupid.
If everyone saw McAlpine was trending, why did she insisit on mentioning it herself other than to fan the flames?
She is in a position of responsability and should act accordingly, especially when accusations of child abuse are being thrown about.
Saying that, I don't think anyone here is actualy defending her are they?

Sorry. It's still quite new to me so I find it easier to believe people don't know about it!

quote:

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 323
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 6:37:32 PM   
UTB

Can I just say I still giggle at the title of this thread. "Allegations of Jimmy Savile" makes me think that these people are being arrested under suspicion of Jimmy Savilling.

Which I guess now is true.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 324
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 6:45:48 PM   
DancingClown

I'm no legal expert but can Mcalpine really sue people for mentioning something they had been led to believe was true via another source? A usually reliable source? While I understand how angry he is this litigious rampage seems a bit over-the-top. Saw his smug lawyer on the news earlier; you could practically hear the "chi-ching" in his voice.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 325
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 6:49:07 PM   
Rgirvan44

Very interesting Private Eye this week.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 326
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 6:50:25 PM   
Rgirvan44

As for twitter - I remember this Social Network quote - The Internet's not written in pencil, it's written in ink.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 327
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 6:51:40 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

I'm no legal expert but can Mcalpine really sue people for mentioning something they had been led to believe was true via another source? A usually reliable source? While I understand how angry he is this litigious rampage seems a bit over-the-top. Saw his smug lawyer on the news earlier; you could practically hear the "chi-ching" in his voice.

Which reliable source gave them a name? Philip Schofield?

quote:

Post #: 328
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 6:58:25 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Which reliable source gave them a name? Philip Schofield?

Well, it was because of the Newsnight thing, wasn't it? Or am I getting muddled up? There's so much horseshit flying around it's hard to keep up.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 329
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 15/11/2012 7:21:15 PM   
elab49

Newsnight didn't give his name. 

quote:

Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI