Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 3/10/2012 1:07:52 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Also, Rob Zombie

Yeah, well sort of, for me anyway, his first two movies were trashy and cheap, but at least showed some sense of knowledge of how to do a horror on Zombie's part. His Halloween was okay I thought, even though it has a particular mean streak which should have been toned down a bit, but some of the scenes certainly worked for me, the blurry, nightmarish shots of Michael as a kid with the mask on, the adult Michael's towering, menacing presence, the look of the movie..but his sequel to Halloween has to be one of the most worthless movies I've ever seen, unwatchable in the extreme, pretentious, idiotic and ugly. I've got mixed feelings about the guy though. Can't really decide whether or not to check out his new movie when it gets released.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 61
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 9/10/2012 9:15:18 PM   
bozo

Hi Kazuya, long time no read :)

I don't want to cause a stir, but surely Ridley Scott?

Look at his last 6 films - they've all been massive turkeys, ranging from disappointingly forgettable to vapid, unwatchable trash.

Prometheus (2012)

Robin Hood (2010)

Body of Lies (2008)

American Gangster (2007)

A Good Year (2006)

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

6 strikes should be enough.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 62
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 9/10/2012 10:18:29 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

Look at his last 6 films - they've all been massive turkeys, ranging from disappointingly forgettable to vapid, unwatchable trash.

Prometheus (2012)

Robin Hood (2010)

Body of Lies (2008)

American Gangster (2007)

A Good Year (2006)

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

While most of the movies you have listed there are certainly divisive, Kingdom Of Heaven (directors cut) is a masterpiece.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 63
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 9/10/2012 10:29:22 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Prometheus (2012)

Robin Hood (2010)

Body of Lies (2008)

American Gangster (2007)

A Good Year (2006)

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

Those are range from very good to amazing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 64
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 9/10/2012 11:22:42 PM   
gunstar

I think, in the mind of most cinema goers, Scott's fantastic early output gives him something of a pass for the steady decline in quality over recent years culminating in Prometheus, which, for me, is bordering on Phantom Menace levels of awfulness.

Alien is a still a stone-cold classic though and for giving the world that film I'd put up with any old crap he churns out from here on in.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 65
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 10/10/2012 9:54:19 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

Prometheus (2012)

Robin Hood (2010)

Body of Lies (2008)

American Gangster (2007)

A Good Year (2006)

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

While most of the movies you have listed there are certainly divisive, Kingdom Of Heaven (directors cut) is a masterpiece.

Really? I haven't seen it, but the original film is laughable. I just can't imagine what could have made it even watchable. I suppose it still has the scene in which Orlando teaches the dessert people how to dig wells?

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 66
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 10/10/2012 9:55:32 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Prometheus (2012)

Robin Hood (2010)

Body of Lies (2008)

American Gangster (2007)

A Good Year (2006)

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

Maybe American Gangster isn't that bad. Certainly not as horrible as Prometheus, for example.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 67
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 10/10/2012 10:59:57 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

Prometheus (2012)

Robin Hood (2010)

Body of Lies (2008)

American Gangster (2007)

A Good Year (2006)

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

Maybe American Gangster isn't that bad. Certainly not as horrible as Prometheus, for example.

By your own reckoning (well, according to your signature) Prometheus is a 5/10, which is hardly terrible.

I'm not a fan of Scott, but think that Prometheus is a pretty interesting project.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 68
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 11/10/2012 4:57:58 PM   
snaze1

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

Prometheus (2012)

Robin Hood (2010)

Body of Lies (2008)

American Gangster (2007)

A Good Year (2006)

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

By your own reckoning (well, according to your signature) Prometheus is a 5/10, which is hardly terrible.

I'm not a fan of Scott, but think that Prometheus is a pretty interesting project.

But an interesting project does not necceserily make a good film as is the case with Prometheus

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 69
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 11/10/2012 5:35:06 PM   
Deviation

Prometheus is awesome. I SHALL HEAR NO MOAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 70
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 11/10/2012 7:41:42 PM   
snaze1

quote:

In that case, better put your fingers in your ears because it was as big a dissapointment as The phantom menace AND Kingdom of the crystal skull AND we had to wait even longer for it than those two!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 71
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 11/10/2012 8:13:58 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: snaze1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Prometheus (2012)

Robin Hood (2010)

Body of Lies (2008)

American Gangster (2007)

A Good Year (2006)

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

But an interesting project does not necceserily make a good film as is the case with Prometheus

It's all subjective tho. So what if you didn't like it, that holds no sway whatsoever over how I felt about it.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 72
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 11/10/2012 8:18:03 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: snaze1

quote:

In that case, better put your fingers in your ears because it was as big a dissapointment as The phantom menace AND Kingdom of the crystal skull AND we had to wait even longer for it than those two!

It's all relative. I anticipated nothing with Prometheus and wound up enjoying it a great deal. I quite like(d) The Phantom Menace too, but have strayed quite far from the Star Wars films now anyway, and find them all to be a bit of a struggle. Crystal Skull was a similar thing for Prometheus for me, in that I had no affinity for any of the Indiana Jones films, and actually found it to be a lot of fun. I'd probably put it behind Raiders as the best Indy film actually.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 73
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 12/10/2012 12:33:32 AM   
bozo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Prometheus (2012)

Robin Hood (2010)

Body of Lies (2008)

American Gangster (2007)

A Good Year (2006)

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

See the other ratings in my sig. 5/10 is low. In fact, I think Prometheus is the worst film I've watched this year.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 74
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 12/10/2012 11:47:04 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Prometheus (2012)

Robin Hood (2010)

Body of Lies (2008)

American Gangster (2007)

A Good Year (2006)

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

See the other ratings in my sig. 5/10 is low. In fact, I think Prometheus is the worst film I've watched this year.

If 5/10 is the worst you've seen all year, then you're doing pretty well. I wish I were that lucky!

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 75
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 12/10/2012 4:34:58 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

Prometheus (2012)

Robin Hood (2010)

Body of Lies (2008)

American Gangster (2007)

A Good Year (2006)

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

Hey man, nice to read you again

Well, I see your points, certainly, well sort of..I'm a huge, huge fan of Ridley Scott, as far as I'm concerned the guy is a genius..but like most major league directors, he has his ups and downs. Kingdom of Heaven was a very mixed bag, colossal and tough to commit to, I don't think Bloom had the shoulders to carry such heavy burden, the many story elements should have been meshed more effectively etc., the dc is certainly an improvement, but still a lesser Scott film. It's not a complete failure at all, like most of his films it's extremely gorgeous and well acted by most of the cast, nice photography. A Good Year is probably my least favorite of his (along with Someone to Watch over Me) I can certainly appreciate that he wanted to try something more warm, Scott does cold very well and does it often, but the attempt failed, the film is an indulgent, massive bore fronting a not particularly appealing set of characters. American Gangster was a letdown as well, an overlong, unattractive effort with scummy characters a plenty, but close to zero desire to invest in any of them. Again, Scott directs his actors well, Washington is good as usual, same with Crowe, but the material just isn't there. Almost the exact same thing could be said of Body of Lies, a boring, uninvolving script with vapid characters. I gotta say I enjoyed Robin Hood, much more than I thought I would, fun, good-looking film with lots of charm. Solid performances all around. Prometheus was a mixed bag as well, but like I mentioned earlier, Scott does cold very, very well, and even though the film could not possibly hope to rival the 1979 masterpiece (we all knew that anyway), it's still Ridley Scott Sci-Fi, and I can't get enough of that.. Anyway, I think you're right that the films released in recent years are not all up to his usual standards, then again he has always been a very divisive director..I think when he's behind the camera, not many do it better, he just needs better material, better scripts.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 76
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 12/10/2012 9:08:38 PM   
mclane1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

To reply to the question in the OP, Tim Burton.

definately tim burton- sooooooooo overated yet contantly thrown money at,

If the cash is there, we do not care.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 77
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 12/10/2012 9:10:00 PM   
mclane1

ben afflecks rockin though - gone baby gone, the town, next argo- thats three for three and his first three- top job

If the cash is there, we do not care.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 78
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 13/10/2012 9:20:21 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

quote:

He was good his last real good film was Sleppy Hollow.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 79
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 13/10/2012 9:45:15 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

quote:

He was good his last real good film was Sleppy Hollow.

Absolutely. Used to be good, still is good, but it's hard to see the creative wunderkind he used to be under the mass of sub-par projects he's launched in recent years.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 80
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 13/10/2012 12:14:57 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

quote:

Prometheus (2012)

Robin Hood (2010)

Body of Lies (2008)

American Gangster (2007)

A Good Year (2006)

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

Hey man, nice to read you again

Well, I see your points, certainly, well sort of..I'm a huge, huge fan of Ridley Scott, as far as I'm concerned the guy is a genius..but like most major league directors, he has his ups and downs. Kingdom of Heaven was a very mixed bag, colossal and tough to commit to, I don't think Bloom had the shoulders to carry such heavy burden, the many story elements should have been meshed more effectively etc., the dc is certainly an improvement, but still a lesser Scott film. It's not a complete failure at all, like most of his films it's extremely gorgeous and well acted by most of the cast, nice photography. A Good Year is probably my least favorite of his (along with Someone to Watch over Me) I can certainly appreciate that he wanted to try something more warm, Scott does cold very well and does it often, but the attempt failed, the film is an indulgent, massive bore fronting a not particularly appealing set of characters. American Gangster was a letdown as well, an overlong, unattractive effort with scummy characters a plenty, but close to zero desire to invest in any of them. Again, Scott directs his actors well, Washington is good as usual, same with Crowe, but the material just isn't there. Almost the exact same thing could be said of Body of Lies, a boring, uninvolving script with vapid characters. I gotta say I enjoyed Robin Hood, much more than I thought I would, fun, good-looking film with lots of charm. Solid performances all around. Prometheus was a mixed bag as well, but like I mentioned earlier, Scott does cold very, very well, and even though the film could not possibly hope to rival the 1979 masterpiece (we all knew that anyway), it's still Ridley Scott Sci-Fi, and I can't get enough of that.. Anyway, I think you're right that the films released in recent years are not all up to his usual standards, then again he has always been a very divisive director..I think when he's behind the camera, not many do it better, he just needs better material, better scripts.

Yes, that is certainly the common element in all of his recent efforts. Nothing wrong with the way he directs - I agree. But substance is also important and to tell you the truth I'd rather watch an original and interesting film shot by a hack than an expensive, stylish borefest.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 81
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 13/10/2012 12:54:31 PM   
Rhubarb

To go back to the original post in this thread - I like Transporter 3. For me it was a witty take on the action genre, well aware of the homoerotisism, especially, directed at a good pace, and good fun. But might be on my own.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 82
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI