Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:41:20 AM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

What DK means is that it looked good on blu ray and is therefore a good film. Here's hoping for the 3D conversion blu ray soon to elevate it to masterpiece level.

what is this, i dont even...

Don't bite, sir.

So I suppose we're back to not being friends again then...

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 31
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:42:39 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

The remake, the Marcus Nispel film, was certainly a lot better than anyone had any right to expect, but it lacked the suffocating atmosphere of fear and the grimy realism of the utterly awesome Tobe Hooper flick.

The Beginning is basically a stupid splatter film that is devoid of suspense and tension. Leiberman is an idiot because he has no understanding of how a horror film works outside of delivering a few moments of splatter.

Yes and yes.

(sorry DK)

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 29/9/2012 1:44:25 AM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 32
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:44:53 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

Harsh, TCM The Beginning was good, certainly equal to the remake.

The remake, the Marcus Nispel film, was certainly a lot better than anyone had any right to expect, but it lacked the suffocating atmosphere of fear and the grimy realism of the utterly awesome Tobe Hooper flick.

The Beginning is basically a stupid splatter film that is devoid of suspense and tension. Leiberman is an idiot because he has no understanding of how a horror film works outside of delivering a few moments of splatter.

I actually kinda like Nispel's remake, good direction, good photography. After I'd seen the flick I was certain he'd go on to great things, how wrong I was, Pathfinder, Friday the 13th and Conan. Crash and burn.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 33
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:47:06 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

quote:

quote:

I actually kinda like Nispel's remake, good direction, good photography. After I'd seen the flick I was certain he'd go on to great things, how wrong I was, Pathfinder, Friday the 13th and Conan. Crash and burn.

I quite liked his Conan movie. Friday the 13th remake was ok, i didn't like Pathfinder though.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 34
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:52:18 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I quite liked his Conan movie. Friday the 13th remake was ok, i didn't like Pathfinder though.

Pathfinder bored me to death, when it didn't give me a headache from all the jump-cutting, I thought Conan was forgettable, easily bested by Solomon Kane, which came in at almost half the budget of Nispel's clunker. Friday the 13th had some good bits, but nothing special.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 35
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:54:12 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Pathfinder bored me to death, when it didn't give me a headache from all the jump-cutting, I thought Conan was forgettable, easily bested by Solomon Kane, which came in at almost half the budget of Nispel's clunker. Friday the 13th had some good bits, but nothing special.

I like Solomon Kane too, and dare i say Season of the Witch, which brings me to Dominic Sena, when did he last have a hit?

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 36
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 2:02:49 AM   
Kazuya

Sena, good shout, Kalifornia is silly, but somewhat entertaining, the same goes for the daffy Swordfish..he recently did Whiteout with Kate Beckinsale, right,what a piece of shit that was, and the Nicholas Cage one you mention, haven't seen it, the universally poor reviews scared me off keep those excellent choices coming man

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 37
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 2:11:11 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Sena, good shout, Kalifornia is silly, but somewhat entertaining, the same goes for the daffy Swordfish..he recently did Whiteout with Kate Beckinsale, right,what a piece of shit that was, and the Nicholas Cage one you mention, haven't seen it, the universally poor reviews scared me off keep those excellent choices coming man

I've never seen Kalifornia, but i enjoy the daft Swordfish a lot for what it is. Whiteout was just a bore, but Season of the Witch is enjoyably ridiculous and has enough stupidity, mixed with some excellent visuals to make it a pass in my book!

How about Lee Tamahori? I think he redeemed himself somewhat recently with The Devils Double which is brilliantly acted and very well directed, no matter what some might think of the liberties it takes with facts. Prior to that though, he's made some pretty lambasted movies which, for many, failed to deliver. Seemed to have coasted by for a while based on the success of his early low budget hit, Once Were Warriors.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 38
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 9:08:21 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

quote:

I've never seen Kalifornia, but i enjoy the daft Swordfish a lot for what it is. Whiteout was just a bore, but Season of the Witch is enjoyably ridiculous and has enough stupidity, mixed with some excellent visuals to make it a pass in my book!

How about Lee Tamahori? I think he redeemed himself somewhat recently with The Devils Double which is brilliantly acted and very well directed, no matter what some might think of the liberties it takes with facts. Prior to that though, he's made some pretty lambasted movies which, for many, failed to deliver. Seemed to have coasted by for a while based on the success of his early low budget hit, Once Were Warriors.

Was I the only one who loved Whitout ?.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 39
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 9:45:46 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

I didn't love it but I did quite enjoy it. I think it's perfectly fine in a "B" movie thriller kind of way, it's just not particularly memorable or original and had the potential to be a lot better than it is.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 40
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 11:32:39 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

The ending is just so flat, i dunno. Plus i dont really buy Beckinsale in the role.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 41
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:05:51 PM   
Cool Breeze

On a related topic,what about actors who dont deliver? Colin Farrell has been in nothing but flop after flop after flop for many years now but still gets hired for high profile gigs.

He should be stuck in DTV hell by now.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 42
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:12:12 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

Tamahori, absolutely, I haven't seen his latest, but Mulholland Falls, The Edge, Die Another Day, XXX 2...what a catalogue of shit.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 43
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:12:17 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

On a related topic,what about actors who dont deliver? Colin Farrell has been in nothing but flop after flop after flop for many years now but still gets hired for high profile gigs.

He's far better in smaller, low key movies like In Bruges.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 44
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:14:26 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wanted to like it, good production team and a hotter-than-hell leading actress, but it was just a massive bore, zero momentum, paper-thin characters.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 45
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:16:48 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

He's far better in smaller, low key movies like In Bruges.

I thought he was good in Fright Night recently, bland and boring in Total Recall though, but that probably also relates to the daffy script.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 46
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:28:07 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

Adam Sandler fits that bill perfectly, unfortunately the clown has enough money and influence to get his moronic projects off the ground time and again. Has he ever been funny, though..

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 47
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 2:34:21 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tamahori, absolutely, I haven't seen his latest, but Mulholland Falls, The Edge, Die Another Day, XXX 2...what a catalogue of shit.

I'd add The Devil's Double in that catalouge of failure. You truly need a special talent to make a film dealing with Iraqi politics and history and make most of it repititive and dull.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 48
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 4:14:22 PM   
Timbzy

quote:

Oh, and of course Shyamalan, talk about a downward spiral, he's doing a flick with Will Smith & Son next, count me outta that one.

Shyamalan should do one about two guys who get trapped in a parking garage stairwell and think they are being stalked by a killer, who turns out to be a security guard instead.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 49
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 4:45:32 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timbzy

quote:

Oh, and of course Shyamalan, talk about a downward spiral, he's doing a flick with Will Smith & Son next, count me outta that one.

Shyamalan should do one about two guys who get trapped in a parking garage stairwell and think they are being stalked by a killer, who turns out to be a security guard instead.

Obviously the guy is not devoid of talent, he does provide flashes of brilliance, bu it's no secret that the only film of his I genuinely appreciate is Unbreakable. Unfortunately, at least for me, his films buckle under pressure, the shallow casing easily broken, currently his self-indulgence has got the better of him, delivering one colossal blunder after the next.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 50
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 4:51:54 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd add The Devil's Double in that catalouge of failure. You truly need a special talent to make a film dealing with Iraqi politics and history and make most of it repititive and dull.

Could be the most garish poster I've ever seen. Guess that's the point, but reviews have not exactly been good. Can't imagine I'll ever watch it.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 51
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 7:59:50 PM   
Deviation

To be fair on it, it is his best work in ages. Cooper gives two excellent performances and the guy who plays Hussien is absolutely incredible (level of Bruno Ganz's Hitler incredible) even if he appears briefly in the thing. There are some good moments and one very funny scene involving a racist, anti-Semitic and xenophobic rant aimed at Persians, Jews and Kuwaitis. The rest though is very poor and the dullness and repititiveness begin to grow heavily after the 45th minute. Which is bad because the thing is like two hours long.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 52
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 30/9/2012 9:02:51 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The ending is just so flat, i dunno. Plus i dont really buy Beckinsale in the role.

I thought Beckinsale was fine,  the ending was a rushed but all in all it was a great  B movie.

How about Uwe Boll only decent film he has made was Bloodrayne 2: Delierance.  

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 53
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 30/9/2012 10:08:07 AM   
Whistler

Uwe Boll has never made a good film. He has no right behind the camera.

quote:

quote:

Adam Sandler fits that bill perfectly, unfortunately the clown has enough money and influence to get his moronic projects off the ground time and again. Has he ever been funny, though..

Farrell was really good in Fright Night, Horrible Bosses and Crazy Heart. Haven't seen Total Recall yet. And I can't write Adam Sandler off completely because he is capable of making good films: Happy Gilmore, Funny People, Punch-Drunk Love, Little Nicky. It's just recently he keeps deciding to make crap.

< Message edited by Whistler -- 30/9/2012 10:09:10 AM >

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 54
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 30/9/2012 12:11:35 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Could be the most garish poster I've ever seen. Guess that's the point, but reviews have not exactly been good. Can't imagine I'll ever watch it.

It's awesome! Really OTT and cartoonish, and a lot of fun. Cooper is amazing in it.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 55
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 1/10/2012 8:34:18 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Uwe Boll has never made a good film. He has no right behind the camera.

quote:

quote:

Farrell was really good in Fright Night, Horrible Bosses and Crazy Heart. Haven't seen Total Recall yet. And I can't write Adam Sandler off completely because he is capable of making good films: Happy Gilmore, Funny People, Punch-Drunk Love, Little Nicky. It's just recently he keeps deciding to make crap.

I agree that Farrell was great in Fright Night, very funny.
As for Sandler, as far as I'm concerned, he's a one-man shit factory, spewing out garbage, be it his own or that of one of his cronies. I enjoyed The Wedding Singer, that's about it. As for his attempts to be a real actor, I haven't been impressed.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 56
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 1/10/2012 8:38:40 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's awesome! Really OTT and cartoonish, and a lot of fun. Cooper is amazing in it.

So it's played for absurd black comedy or? Any character depth?

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 57
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 2/10/2012 3:49:38 PM   
Deviation

The character depth involves Uday loving his mum like a young immature child a lot and his own image. And that's it.

There still is that very funny rant though. Here it is, no reason on why to watch the film now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04mV9XAf-vo

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 58
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 3/10/2012 7:34:50 AM   
Whistler

Also, Rob Zombie

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 59
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 3/10/2012 1:07:08 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

The character depth involves Uday loving his mum like a young immature child a lot and his own image. And that's it.

There still is that very funny rant though. Here it is, no reason on why to watch the film now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04mV9XAf-vo

Yeah that was sort of amusing still can't imagine I'll ever watch the whole thing.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI