Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

28 Strikes! You're Out!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> 28 Strikes! You're Out! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
28 Strikes! You're Out! - 28/9/2012 6:48:49 PM   
Kazuya

Reading the review of Taken 2 got me thinking, Oliver Megaton, delivered Transporter 3 and Colombiana, both seemingly directed by a 6 year old with a severe case of the shakes, and these two turds apparently impress enough to result in another gig with the aforementioned Liam Neeson starring sequel. Is it that the guy delivers on time and under budget, nobody gives two shits about quality of product, just cheap revenue? Something I'm not getting? Also that douchebag Jonathan Liebesman, the guy's shoddy cv includes the coma-inducingly boring and ridiculous Darkness Falls, the amateurish The Texas Chainsaw Massacre : The Beginning, The clunky, zero-appeal Battle : Los Angeles, and the just-as-boring-and-clumsy-as-the-first Wrath of the Titans. You'd think that'd be enough, right? But no, the guy's doing TMNT now, I mean what the fuck? Anyway, enough ranting, which other directors would you like to give a permanent pink-slip?

"Bleed, bastard."
Post #: 1
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 28/9/2012 6:57:09 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

Reading the review of Taken 2 got me thinking, Oliver Megaton, delivered Transporter 3 and Colombiana, both seemingly directed by a 6 year old with a severe case of the shakes, and these two turds apparently impress enough to result in another gig with the aforementioned Liam Neeson starring sequel. Is it that the guy delivers on time and under budget, nobody gives two shits about quality of product, just cheap revenue? Something I'm not getting?

Oliver Megaton is friends with Luc Besson who co-wrote and produced those three films you mentioned.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 2
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 28/9/2012 7:00:17 PM   
Kazuya

Well then, Besson must really, really like the guy, and not care much about the audience, that's too bad.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 3
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 28/9/2012 7:03:34 PM   
Shifty Bench

He fits Besson's recent style, though and he cranks the films out for the allocated budget. As long as people go and watch the films he and Robert Mark Kamen shit on a script once or twice a year, he doesn't seem to care.

Besson has lost his way, somewhat.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 4
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 28/9/2012 7:06:34 PM   
Kazuya

Yeah absolutely, Besson is a good director and a good writer as far as I'm concerned, but he's become a joke, he's not an artist anymore, he's a factory.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 5
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 28/9/2012 7:35:48 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Good to see you back, Kazuya. Seems like ages!

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 6
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 28/9/2012 7:39:35 PM   
Kazuya

Thanks man, that's nice

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 7
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 28/9/2012 10:16:48 PM   
Coyleone

To reply to the question in the OP, Tim Burton.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 8
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 28/9/2012 10:30:04 PM   
Kazuya

I love Burton's work up to and including Sleepy Hollow, but it's been all down hill since the useless Planet of the Apes for me, he seems to have lost his touch, a certain spark of life seems to be missing, it's still Burton, but an artificial one. Ironically, well at least for me, his influence in Hollywood seems to be at an all time high now.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 9
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 28/9/2012 10:37:19 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

I love Burton's work up to and including Sleepy Hollow,

Me too, I'd say that was his last good film although some would argue for Big Fish, I haven't seen it in a while. (and I haven't seen Sweeny Todd either)

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 10
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 28/9/2012 10:53:02 PM   
Kazuya

Yeah a lot of people certainly love Big Fish, I personally found it nearly impossible to connect to, the same with the soul-less Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which also has a considerable following, the same goes for Sweeney Todd, which was a smash at the box-office, but I found it dreary, an irksome collection of admittedly beautiful scenes that keep the viewer at arms length. Alice in Wonderland was beautifully made and designed as well, but had zero energy, a boring female lead, and most importantly no charm or real sense of wonder. Obviously the general audience disagreed since it was the biggest earner Burton has ever delivered. What the fuck do they know, huh? I saw Dark Shadows at the theatre, went in there with low expectations and they were sadly confirmed.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 11
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 28/9/2012 11:27:59 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Yeah, I'd agree with Burton and Megaton, and add Dennis Dugan (Jack and Jill, Grown Ups, You Don't Mess with the Zohan)

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 12
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 28/9/2012 11:30:08 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Reading the review of Taken 2 got me thinking, Oliver Megaton, delivered Transporter 3 and Colombiana, both seemingly directed by a 6 year old with a severe case of the shakes, and these two turds apparently impress enough to result in another gig with the aforementioned Liam Neeson starring sequel. Is it that the guy delivers on time and under budget, nobody gives two shits about quality of product, just cheap revenue? Something I'm not getting? Also that douchebag Jonathan Liebesman, the guy's shoddy cv includes the coma-inducingly boring and ridiculous Darkness Falls, the amateurish The Texas Chainsaw Massacre : The Beginning, The clunky, zero-appeal Battle : Los Angeles, and the just-as-boring-and-clumsy-as-the-first Wrath of the Titans. You'd think that'd be enough, right? But no, the guy's doing TMNT now, I mean what the fuck? Anyway, enough ranting, which other directors would you like to give a permanent pink-slip?

To represent another perspective, i think Lieberman is pretty awesome. I really like Darkness Falls and TCM The Beginning, i think Battle Los Angeles is a really cool action movie and i loved Wrath of the Titans. Also, these movies make money, that's how he keeps getting work!

It's been a while Kazuya, welcome back, good to see you here again!

I would say the above about the directors of those awful Date Movie, Meet the Spartans crap, they're waaaaay worse than Olivier Megaton or Lieberman, yet they're movies seem to turn around a profit

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 13
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 28/9/2012 11:48:07 PM   
Kazuya

That's cool man, to each his own And yeah, his films make money, but they don't make big money, guess the deal is the package is sealed and delivered on time and has whatever hook to suck people in, the prerequisite amount of action scenes and effects shots to secure a middle-of-the-road box-office return that keeps the boat afloat. Oh, and absolutely, those two jerkoffs Friedberg and Seltzer should be summarily executed for crimes against cinema. And thanks

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 14
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 12:03:03 AM   
Kazuya

Oh, and of course Shyamalan, talk about a downward spiral, he's doing a flick with Will Smith & Son next, count me outta that one.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 15
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 12:47:08 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

That's cool man, to each his own And yeah, his films make money, but they don't make big money, guess the deal is the package is sealed and delivered on time and has whatever hook to suck people in, the prerequisite amount of action scenes and effects shots to secure a middle-of-the-road box-office return that keeps the boat afloat. Oh, and absolutely, those two jerkoffs Friedberg and Seltzer should be summarily executed for crimes against cinema. And thanks

Like you say, Lieberman delivers a tidy package on time and on budget with no hiccups it seems. Indicative of the general approach to mainstream Hollywood filmmaking i guess. He's no auteur obviously, but he's a guy who has proved his worth to studios at least. How about Len Wiseman? He's in a similar camp.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 16
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:00:19 AM   
MonsterCat

Jonathan Lieberman is the guy who directed Texas Chainsaw the Beginning, right?

Yeah, fuck that idiot.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 17
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:10:15 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Like you say, Lieberman delivers a tidy package on time and on budget with no hiccups it seems. Indicative of the general approach to mainstream Hollywood filmmaking i guess. He's no auteur obviously, but he's a guy who has proved his worth to studios at least. How about Len Wiseman? He's in a similar camp.

I haven't completely written off Wiseman yet, I wasn't particularly impressed by his Underworld flicks, but Live Free or Die Hard was pretty good, absurd in the extreme, but good action, a solid directing job. The Total Recall remake is a complete failure as far as I'm concerned, but the guy's still got some potential, a certain flair, could still make good on his cv for real.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 18
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:19:20 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

I haven't completely written off Wiseman yet, I wasn't particularly impressed by his Underworld flicks, but Live Free or Die Hard was pretty good, absurd in the extreme, but good action, a solid directing job. The Total Recall remake is a complete failure as far as I'm concerned, but the guy's still got some potential, a certain flair, could still make good on his cv for real.

Nor have i but he seems to fit the bill in terms of not necessarily delivering a great film yet. He's up for The Mummy reboot next so will have to see how that goes. For the record i like Live Free or Die Hard too, but it's no Die Hard movie. I've yet to see the Total recall remake.

Wolfgang Peterson? I'm a big fan of Troy Directors cut, but other than that, i dont know. Das Boot was a long time ago.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 19
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:19:55 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Jonathan Lieberman is the guy who directed Texas Chainsaw the Beginning, right?

Yeah, fuck that idiot.

Harsh, TCM The Beginning was good, certainly equal to the remake.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 20
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:24:10 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

TCM The Beginning was good

Dude, seriously.....your opinions, sometimes.........

Post #: 21
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:29:37 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

TCM The Beginning was good

Dude, seriously.....your opinions, sometimes.........

What the hell it was good fun dude! I dont see what's so bad about it. It was an effective horror movie! On it's own merits it's enjoyable enough!

Post #: 22
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:31:13 AM   
Shifty Bench

Remember when you used to be able to take a joke, DK?

Post #: 23
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:34:23 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Remember when you used to be able to take a joke, DK?

Remind me again, when was that?

Post #: 24
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:35:00 AM   
Shifty Bench

I don't know, that's why I was asking you

Post #: 25
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:36:49 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nor have i but he seems to fit the bill in terms of not necessarily delivering a great film yet. He's up for The Mummy reboot next so will have to see how that goes. For the record i like Live Free or Die Hard too, but it's no Die Hard movie. I've yet to see the Total recall remake.

Wolfgang Peterson? I'm a big fan of Troy Directors cut, but other than that, i dont know. Das Boot was a long time ago.

Absolutely, he still needs something really solid. As for the Mummy, I commented on that in another thread, I think it's a bad idea. If Wiseman is to do it, it would suggest that they want something loud and shiny, a la Sommers' flicks, keep the machine going, but the property would be much better suited for something more subtle and creepy, at least for me.

As for Petersen, well I got a soft spot for The Neverending Story and Enemy Mine, nostalgia an' all that, Das Boot is obviously a great film, but so is In the Line of Fire, crisp direction by Petersen, the same goes for Outbreak, even though the finished product is somewhat silly. The Perfect Storm was boring and forgettable, Troy is again well directed, but it didn't have that spark for me..the Poseidon remake was just the kind of thing that'd make me at least partially think he's mired in mediocrity for now, but the guy's got talent, no question.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 26
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:37:38 AM   
vad3r

What DK means is that it looked good on blu ray and is therefore a good film. Here's hoping for the 3D conversion blu ray soon to elevate it to masterpiece level.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

Post #: 27
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:37:57 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Harsh, TCM The Beginning was good, certainly equal to the remake.

The remake, the Marcus Nispel film, was certainly a lot better than anyone had any right to expect, but it lacked the suffocating atmosphere of fear and the grimy realism of the utterly awesome Tobe Hooper flick.

The Beginning is basically a stupid splatter film that is devoid of suspense and tension. Leiberman is an idiot because he has no understanding of how a horror film works outside of delivering a few moments of splatter.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 29/9/2012 1:39:05 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 28
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:38:37 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

What DK means is that it looked good on blu ray and is therefore a good film. Here's hoping for the 3D conversion blu ray soon to elevate it to masterpiece level.

what is this, i dont even...

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 29
RE: 28 Strikes! You're Out! - 29/9/2012 1:39:47 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

what is this, i dont even...

Don't bite, sir.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> 28 Strikes! You're Out! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI