Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

My Top 50 Favourite Westerns

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> My Top 50 Favourite Westerns Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 28/9/2012 12:29:02 AM   
siegfried

As with the other lists I've done, I'll post 10 at a time - mainly because I'm too lazy to sit here for as long as it would take to post them all at once:

50. Garden Of Evil (1954) Dir: Henry Hathaway (Gary Cooper, Susan Hayward, Richard Widmark, Hugh Marlowe)

49. The Paleface (1948) Dir: Norman Z. McLeod (Bob Hope, Jane Russell)

48. The Sheepman (1958) Dir: George Marshall (Glenn Ford, Shirley MacLaine, Leslie Nielsen)

47. Hang 'Em High (1968) Dir: Ted Post (Clint Eastwood, Inger Stevens, Ed Begley, Pat Hingle)

46. Broken Lance (1954) Dir: Edward Dmytryk (Spencer Tracy, Robert Wagner, Richard Widmark, Jean Peters)

45. The Westerner (1940) Dir: William Wyler (Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan, Doris Davenport)

44. Hombre (1967) Dir: Martin Ritt (Paul Newman, Fredric March, Richard Boone, Diane Cilento, Cameron Mitchell)

43. Blazing Saddles (1974) Dir: Mel Brooks (Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Madeleine Kahn, Harvey Korman)

42. The Magnificent Seven (1960) Dir: John Sturges (Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Eli Wallach, James Coburn, Robert Vaughan)

41. The Fastest Gun Alive (1956) Dir: Russell Rouse (Glenn Ford, Jeanne Crain, Broderick Crawford, Russ Tamblin)

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.
Post #: 1
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 28/9/2012 12:32:35 AM   
ElephantBoy

Will be interesting to see how many of these I have seen as Westerns isn't my strong point. Not sure I have seen any of that first butch, althrough Saddles looks a lot of fun.

Hope Wild Bunch gets the top spot.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 2
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 28/9/2012 12:40:59 AM   
siegfried

It's only been in recent years that I've started to get back into Westerns again, and I discovered in making up the list that there are a number that I would not only rate among the greatest Westerns of all time, but among the greatest films of all time.
Surprised you haven't seen Blazing Saddles. I love it - it has something to offend everyone. It comes second to Young Frankenstein among my favourite Mel Brooks' films.

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 3
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 28/9/2012 12:43:33 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

It's only been in recent years that I've started to get back into Westerns again, and I discovered in making up the list that there are a number that I would not only rate among the greatest Westerns of all time, but among the greatest films of all time.
Surprised you haven't seen Blazing Saddles. I love it - it has something to offend everyone. It comes second to Young Frankenstein among my favourite Mel Brooks' films.

Always been a big spaceballs fan myself a film of its time, very cheesy and just so well thought out.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 4
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 28/9/2012 6:37:38 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I have high hope fopr a certain Laurel and Hardy film!

Seen quite a few of those 10. The Paleface and Hang 'Em High are especially good.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 5
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 28/9/2012 6:47:38 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I have high hope for a certain Laurel and Hardy film!

Seen quite a few of those 10. The Paleface and Hang 'Em High are especially good.

Gosh I wonder what that could possibly be!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 6
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 28/9/2012 6:56:27 AM   
rawlinson

El Topo will be number one, right?

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 7
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 28/9/2012 7:02:09 AM   
siegfried

Wrong.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 8
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 28/9/2012 7:26:53 AM   
rawlinson

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 9
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 28/9/2012 7:54:24 AM   
Rebel scum

I love Paleface, though part of that might be due to nostalgia and the fact that I've not seen it for about ten years.
Blazing Saddles is all kinds of amazing.
Magnificent Seven is good, but not a patch on Samurai.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 28/9/2012 10:40:37 PM   
siegfried

40 - 31

40. The Left Handed Gun (1958) Dir: Arthur Penn (Paul Newman, Lita Milan, John Dehner, Hurd Hatfield)

39. The Shootist (1976) Dir: Don Siegel (John Wayne, Lauren Bacall, Ron Howard, James Stewart)

38. Broken Arrow (1950) Dir: Delmer Daves (James Stewart, Jeff Chandler, Debra Paget)

37. A Big Hand For The Little Lady (1966) Dir: Fielder Cook (Henry Fonda, Joanne Woodward, Jason Robards, Paul Ford, Charles Bickford)

36. Rio Grande (1950) Dir: John Ford (John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Ben Johnson, Claude Jarman)

35. Silverado (1985) Dir: Lawrence Kasdan (Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, Kevin Costner, Danny Glover, Jeff Goldblum)

34. 3:10 To Yuma (2007) Dir: James Mangold (Russell Crowe, Christian Bale, Logan Lerman, Ben Foster)

33. Fort Apache (1948) Dir: John Ford (John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Shirley Temple)

32. The Ox-Bow Incident (1943) Dir: William Wellman (Henry Fonda, Dana Andrews, Harry Morgan, Anthony Quinn)

31. She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949) Dir: John Ford (John Wayne, Joanne Dru, John Agar, Ben Johnson)

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 11
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 29/9/2012 12:19:29 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

35. Silverado (1985) Dir: Lawrence Kasdan (Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, Kevin Costner, Danny Glover, Jeff Goldblum)

34. 3:10 To Yuma (2007) Dir: James Mangold (Russell Crowe, Christian Bale, Logan Lerman, Ben Foster)

Yes!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 12
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 29/9/2012 2:05:11 AM   
siegfried

I was also considering including Delmer Daves' 1957 version of 3:10 To Yuma, with Glenn Ford and Van Heflin, and a very different film. It only just missed the cut.

Post #: 13
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 29/9/2012 2:13:10 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I was also considering including Delmer Daves' 1957 version of 3:10 To Yuma, with Glenn Ford and Van Heflin, and a very different film. It only just missed the cut.

I love both versions but I'd agree that the recent one just pips the original.

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 14
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 29/9/2012 8:00:25 AM   
Rebel scum

I've only seen the remake of 3:10 To Yuma, and it's pretty damn good, glad it got a spot.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 15
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 29/9/2012 8:51:21 AM   
siegfried

I'd really recommend the original to you as well. It's also well worth a look.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 16
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 29/9/2012 9:47:24 PM   
siegfried

30 -21

30. The Big Country (1958) Dir: William Wyler (Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, Carroll Baker, Burl Ives, Charlton Heston)

29. Way Out West (1937) Dir: James W. Horne (Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Rosina Lawrence, James Finlayson, Sharon Lynn)

28. Hud (1963) Dir: Martin Ritt (Paul Newman, Patricia Neal, Melvyn Douglas, Brandon DeWilde)

27. Pale Rider (1985) Dir: Clint Eastwood (Clint Eastwood, Michael Moriarty, Carrie Snodgress, Chris Penn)

26. Gunfight At The OK Corral (1957) Dir: John Sturges (Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Rhonda Fleming, Jo Van Fleet)

25. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (1969) Dir: George Roy Hill (Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Katharine Ross)

24. Texas (1941) Dir: George Marshall (Glenn Ford, William Holden, Claire Trevor, George Bancroft, Edgar Buchanan)

23. The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) Dir: Clint Eastwood (Clint Eastwood, Chief Dan George, Sondra Locke)

22. The Naked Spur (1953) Dir: Anthony Mann (James Stewart, Janet Leigh, Robert Ryan, Ralph Meeker, Millard Mitchell)

21. Ride The High Country (1962) Dir: Sam Peckinpah (Randolph Scott, Joel McCrae, Mariette Hartley)

< Message edited by siegfried -- 29/9/2012 9:49:01 PM >

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 17
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 30/9/2012 12:13:52 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Love The Big Country, Pale Rider, Butch Cassidy and Josey Wales. But Way Out West is so low!

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 18
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 30/9/2012 1:41:52 AM   
siegfried

quote:

Love The Big Country, Pale Rider, Butch Cassidy and Josey Wales. But Way Out West is so low!

I've always tended to think of it as a great comedy rather than a great western. When I posted my top fifty comedies list a couple of years ago, Way Out West was at number 5.

Post #: 19
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 30/9/2012 1:50:45 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

A good point.

I remember that comedy list. I was probably very happy that Way Out West was so high

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 20
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 30/9/2012 2:09:37 AM   
siegfried

quote:

A good point.

I remember that comedy list. I was probably very happy that Way Out West was so high

As I recall, you were. So I take it that I'm forgiven, then?

Post #: 21
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 30/9/2012 2:11:18 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I think so, yeah

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 22
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 30/9/2012 8:27:15 AM   
Rebel scum

I really like Butch Cassidy.

Post #: 23
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 30/9/2012 9:09:23 AM   
MovieAddict247

Butch Cassidy is a gorgeous film - I'm a big fan.

Not seen many of the others so far, Hang 'Em High is alright and Blazing Saddles is great.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 24
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 30/9/2012 11:21:53 AM   
ElephantBoy

Have only seen the original of 3:10 to Yuma which I thought was great.

Ride the High Country is a great choice hope for at least a couple more Peckinpah on your list.

Clearly you rate Clint's Westerns more highly than I do.  I don't mind them but can take or leave many, 3 Mules of Sister Sara being a favourite of mine.

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 30/9/2012 11:23:26 AM >

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 25
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 30/9/2012 8:17:40 PM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Have only seen the original of 3:10 to Yuma which I thought was great.

Ride the High Country is a great choice hope for at least a couple more Peckinpah on your list.

Clearly you rate Clint's Westerns more highly than I do.  I don't mind them but can take or leave many, 3 Mules of Sister Sara being a favourite of mine.

Which was, of course, directed by Don Siegel.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 26
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 30/9/2012 10:56:10 PM   
siegfried

20 - 11

20. Bend Of The River (1952) Dir: Anthony Mann (James Stewart, Arthur Kennedy, Julie Adams, Rock Hudson)

19. The Furies (1950) Dir: Anthony Mann (Barbara Stanwyck, Walter Huston, Judith Anderson, Wendell Corey)

18. My Darling Clementine (1946) Dir: John Ford (Henry Fonda, Victor Mature, Linda Darnell, Cathy Downs, Walter Brennan)

17. Shane (1953) Dir: George Stevens (Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur, Van Heflin, Brandon De Wilde, Jack Palance)

16. Red River (1948) Dir: Howard Hawks (John Wayne, Montgomery Clift, Joanne Dru, Walter Brennan)

15. The Far Country (1954) Dir: Anthony Mann (James Stewart, Ruth Roman, Walter Brennan, John McIntire, Corinne Calvet)

14. High Noon (1952) Dir: Fred Zinnemann (Gary Cooper, Thomas Mitchell, Lloyd Bridges, Katy Jurado, Grace Kelly)

13. The Gunfighter (1950) Dir: Henry King (Gregory Peck, Helen Westcott, Millard Mitchell, Karl Malden, Jean Parker)

12. Stagecoach (1939) Dir: John Ford (John Wayne, Claire Trevor, Andy Devine, John Carradine, Thomas Mitchell)

11. The Man From Laramie (1955) Dir: Anthony Mann (James Stewart, Arthur Kennedy, Donald Crisp, Cathy O'Donnell)

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 27
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 1/10/2012 7:56:50 AM   
Rebel scum

Stagecoach

High Noon I didn't really care for - it was good, but not as good as I'd heard.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 28
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 1/10/2012 11:37:31 PM   
siegfried

10 - 1

10. Unforgiven (1992) Dir: Clint Eastwood (Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris)

9. True Grit (2010) Dir: Coen Brothers (Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Hailee Steinfeld, Josh Brolin)

8. Man Of The West (1958) Dir: Anthony Mann (Gary Cooper, Julie London, Lee J. Cobb, Arthur O'Connell, Jack Lord)

7. The Unforgiven (1960) Dir: John Huston (Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audie Murphy, Lillian Gish, John Saxon)

6. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) Dir: John Ford (James Stewart, John Wayne, Vera Miles, Lee Marvin)

5. Destry Rides Again (1939) Dir: George Marshall (James Stewart, Marlene Dietrich, Mischa Auer, Charles Winninger, Brian Donlevy)

4. Duel In The Sun (1946) Dir: King Vidor (Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotten, Gregory Peck, Lionel Barrymore, Lillian Gish, Walter Huston, Charles Bickford)

3. Winchester 73 (1950) Dir: Anthony Mann (James Stewart, Shelley Winters, Stephen McNally, Dan Duryea)

2. Rio Bravo (1959) Dir: Howard Hawks (John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, Angie Dickinson, Walter Brennan, Ward Bond)

1. The Searchers (1956) Dir: John Ford (John Wayne, Jeffrey Hunter, Vera Miles, Ward Bond, Natalie Wood, John Qualen)

Next up:- My top 50 favourite horror films.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 29
RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns - 2/10/2012 4:47:03 AM   
rawlinson

No room for El Topo makes me sad. Glad to see so many Anthony Mann high up though.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> My Top 50 Favourite Westerns Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI