Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Perks Of Being A Wallflower Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower - 26/9/2012 9:33:54 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
can't wait to see this - 26/9/2012 9:33:54 PM  1 votes
megank13

after I saw the trailer for the first time, & getting addicted to the songs played in the trailer, I decided to buy the book & read the book before the film came out. the book was amazing. life changing, which sounds cliche, but it was one of the best books I've ever read.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Brilliant - 3/10/2012 2:09:04 PM   
labyrinth

I saw this at the UK Gala screening and have to say I was thoroughly impressed. The film is a little more light hearted than the book, which gives the film a feel like classic John Hughes films such as the Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles. Logan Lerman is engaging as the focal character, Charlie but the standouts for me are Emma Watson as Sam who gives an emotional and heartfelt performance (and really pulls off the American accent) along with Ezra Miller who is hilarious and heartbreaking as Patrick. The soundtrack is awesome, and the fact that it's set in the early 90's with no mobile phones, iPod's and laptops in sight just adds to it's charm.

Post #: 3
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower - 3/10/2012 10:01:28 PM   
tomhemingway.com

On first glance, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower could have been an avoidable, awkward teen comedy used as a career platform for Emma Watson (her first major role since the Harry Potter series ended last July). Instead, it emerges as a surprisingly honest, humorous and sincere film exploring the obstacles faced in youth and adolescence.

These obstacles could be finding your place, as Charlie (a subtle but superb Logan Lerman) creates strong relationships with his 2 friends, Patrick and Sam. Ezra Miller (We Need To Talk About Kevin) shines as Patrick, showing the viewers that he can play a smiling but broken character and not just a psychotic teenage murderer. Additionally, Watson has a smaller role than expected as Sam, but is a worthy screen prescence in all her scenes, managing to pull off a decent American accent in the process. It is the chemistry and realism between these 3 characters that captivates the viewers and makes this situation an honest one rather than an 'American Pie'-esque crude comedy. Although it can be pretty funny - look out for scenes with a deadpan Tom Savini.

Furthermore, the craft of the film is at times commendable. The cinematography captures the beautiful moments that one can find in youth, almost like photographs. When seen alongside the glorious soundtrack, both in the original music composed for the film and in the choice of songs from Dexy's Midnight Runners to David Bowie, one cannot help but be transported back to a time when freedom and youth was everything.

However, this isn't a flawless film, with many characters moving in and out of the story at the wrong times and a slight lull in the second act as it slowly edges into cliched high school melodrama. Fortunately, the story provides enough twists, both dramatic and funny to make up for any flaws that may have been present before.

Verdict: The Perks Of Being A Wallflower captures sizzling youth at it's most hilarious at heartbreaking with stand-out performances from

Post #: 4
Twee. Hipster. 'Twister'. But great. - 5/10/2012 11:03:04 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

It's everything the trailer makes you expect it to be, but it's so much more engaging than it lets on. All of the central characters are beautifully portrayed, and the story embraces emotion without relying on schmaltz to gloss things over.

If you've ever felt like you can't quite fit in, this film is for you. I'm not sure how it'll stand up to repeated viewings, but I plan to find out.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 5
RE: The Perks Of Being A Wallflower - 8/10/2012 12:06:25 AM   
endafk

Woah. At least one person here hasn't even seen the movie and has given it four stars. Utter rubbish, deeply irritating characters, tells us nothing new about the human condition. Worse, in its way, than Taken 2.

Post #: 6
Faith Adaptation - 10/10/2012 3:56:07 PM   
charliemouse99

Loved the book and this was a very good adaptation, but wow Emma Watson is awful in it! Poorly cast.

Post #: 7
Very, Very Well Done - 14/2/2013 5:41:38 PM   
Turd Ferguson

I wasn't sure what to expect going into this one but was pleasantly surprised. All 3 leads were superb. Loved Ezra Miller, who was also fantastic in We Need To Talk About Kevin. In turns very touching and funny.

Post #: 8
- 24/2/2013 1:28:48 PM   
danfacey711

Having read the book many years ago, I was fairly excited/interested to see how this would turn out - especially with Chbosky to adapt and direct his own work...
Overall, I liked it. I think most of it stayed true to the story, and the characters turned out right. I think the dialogue was quite corny, which surprised me a little, and some scenes were over dramatised, but nonetheless: enjoyable.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Perks Of Being A Wallflower Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI