Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Beasts Of The Summer Wild

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Beasts Of The Summer Wild Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beasts Of The Summer Wild - 25/9/2012 4:16:41 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Empire Fix the Title! - 26/9/2012 10:12:54 PM   
moehat

Very much looking forward to this [especially after seeing Anna Karenina tonight...oh dear...]....
Post #: 2
Southern, not Summer! - 15/10/2012 11:32:13 AM   
Pixaroholic

You really ought to fix the title! You are better than this Empire ;-)

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
Strong Contender for Best Picture, Best Director, Best ... - 16/10/2012 8:57:30 AM   
atom_band

From the trailer I was bit worried this was going to be yet another American Indie mumble-core piece.
but Beasts of the Southern Wild is something else entirely. Reminds me of The Band - Music from the Big Pink - its on another level, there's magic realism, bits of Mallick's "Days of Heaven", post apocalyptic fantasy and everything what Spike Jonze's "Where the Wild Things are" should have been. Brilliant

Post #: 4
RE: Strong Contender for Best Picture, Best Director, B... - 22/10/2012 11:38:42 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Just seen this tonight. Still processing it a bit, but I loved it.

Favourite film of the year so far? Quite possibly....

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to atom_band)
Post #: 5
Bespoke dreams and blurred reality: Beasts that go raaa... - 26/10/2012 11:18:19 PM   
HeraldingChaz

Incredible film of honest dream sequencing. Totally just blogged about it-

https://strangeronfilm.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/bespoke-dreams-and-blurred-reality/

Post #: 6
RE: Beasts Of The Summer Wild - 27/10/2012 1:45:22 PM   
R W

There is nothing more powerful than a child’s imagination and when done properly in a cinematic way, it becomes a masterstroke of storytelling, as previously shown in Guillermo del Toro’s dark fantasy Pan’s Labyrinth and Spike Jonze’s more child-friendly Where the Wild Things Are. Taking its cue from Lucy Alibar’s one-act play Juicy and Delicious, Benh Zeitlin’s directorial debut is an arthouse drama that is both ecological and magical.

Set in a bayou community on an island surrounded by rising water which its residents refer to as the “Bathtub”, six-year old Hushpuppy (Quvenzhané Wallis) lives with her hot-tempered father, Wink (Dwight Henry). As the rundown area is flooded by a mighty storm, Hushpuppy sets off on a mission to reclaim their fund.

From its pre-title sequence showing the poster shot of Hushpuppy running in the night with a pair of lit roman candles, we see a gritty and muddy world through the eyes of a little girl, who lets her imagination run wild to escape from the harshness of the reality. Although Hushpuppy is in nearly every frame as she goes off on a perilous journey on her own, from start to finish the story centralises on the relationship between her and Wink, who is practically destroying himself.

Prior to this film, the two leads were never actors and yet with this, they bring out extraordinary performances and are the heart of the piece. Dwight Henry is mostly seen a scary presence as he has a violent behaviour towards her daughter and at times wanting to pick a fight with her. However, given the environment they are both living in and after the flood, he is preparing her for what is to come as a grown-up, while his self-destruction could be an early end for him. As for the young newcomer, Quvenzhané Wallis is a revelation that, despite her age, isn’t afraid and tries to face forces that are beyond her, but when it comes to the tragic climax, hopefully tears will fall.

For his directorial debut, Benh Zeitlin is telling an ecological tale about survival through a post-Katrina environment, whilst presenting a level of magical realism. Despite its low budget, there is great spectacle as there is a recurring nightmare of Hushpuppy’s of giant warthogs escapes from the ice and travels across the globe on a pursuit to her. As most fantasy films require large amounts of CGI to create imaginative imagery, Zeitlin subtly shows Hushpuppy’s thoughts about her missing mother, as is she is this non-facial presence with something spiritual happen to the home.

Subtle but imaginative, dark but beautiful, Beasts of the Southern Wild has been much loved festivals, and hopefully will find its place with the mainstream.

Post #: 7
RE: Beasts Of The Summer Wild - 1/11/2012 12:36:00 PM   
Biggus

And there it is. That one film which justifies it all. That one film which reassures you that cinema isn’t lost to the bloated mess of Battleships and Bayhem. Thank you Benh Zeitling for creating a film of genuine passion and energy. A film so full of life that in the first 15 minutes you start to wonder if your petty grievances with your own day-to-day goings-on will ever bother you again.

Beasts of the Southern Wild arrives after its Cannes/Sundance glory and demonstrates immediately just what all the fuss is about. It concerns the story of 6 year old Hushpuppy, a girl living with her father Wink in a southern island community called The Bathtub. Their existence of foraging to survive and dislocation from the the modern world is startling yet believable and the film centres of the impact of a Katrina-esque disaster on their relatively feral existence.

From the first frame the film is alive with images and scenes dealing with the two of the major themes of the film: Survival and Bravery. But crucially no matter how barren the lives of Hushpuppy and Wink seem, we never feel pity or sorrow. The earthiness and flat-out good will of these people make damn sure of that. The euphoric scenes of their bayou carnival are so primally familiar, you are instantly part of the community and prepared to follow it to whatever end.

At the centre of the film is a performance so stunning you will forego the cynicism at recent too-young-for-an-Oscar headlines and request an Academy voting slip on leaving the cinema. Quvenzhané Wallis plays our 6 year heroine Hushpuppy with the most unbelievable sense of gravitas (if Morgan Freeman ever sees this I bet he’ll be claming some kind of copyright breach). Her amazingly instinctive performance anchors the film perfectly and fills the audience with all the childlike wonder and, in turn, foreboding dread that comes with being new to this hugely intimidating world.

Her father Wink is played with equal parts desperation and conviction by the outstanding Dwight Henry. Their relationship hinges on his efforts to provide Hushpuppy with the tools she needs to survive with or without him and his determination to impart this knowledge leads to some wonderful scenes of tenderness, humour and drama.

Life is the key word here. It oozes from every frame both photographically and figuratively. An urgency of life which thrills and uplifts. Not often does a film come along which awakens so many sense and pushes so many emotional buttons. It’s incredible that a story set in such a barren and hopeless world can be so invigorating and life-affirming. And in a culture where true heart, true bravery and true spirit is so often cheapened and packaged beyond meaning, Beasts of the Southern Wild provides a pure and beautiful blast of storytelling which is sorely needed.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 8
RE: Beasts Of The Summer Wild - 1/12/2012 1:08:42 AM   
Coyleone

Wow. That was something genuinely really, really special. So powerful, so emotional, so sad and uplifting. The movie of the year. This is why I love cinema.
10/10

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 9
RE: Beasts Of The Summer Wild - 3/12/2012 2:40:38 AM   
carleslempner

Sorry for this but I have a different opinion...

I am fairly deaf so missed a lot of the dialog at first. Mainly visuals. Pardon me but I immediately globalized the delta scene. Nigeria? Bangladesh? Indonesia? Surinam? everywhere tribes of people form and gather and live on the utter fringes of the petroleum planet - using scraps and refuse for homes and tools. I disassociated this from any regular old Delta/Cajun style film. I suppose most think of Hurricane Katrina - I think climate change, population dislocation, catastrophic sea level rise, class warfare.

Another film comes to mind - Water World and then crossed with Mad Max.

I love the cinema!

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 10
RE: Beasts Of The Summer Wild - 8/12/2012 1:38:41 AM   
nhassell

Watched this the other day. A truly special film, and not like anything I have seen in quite some time. Such a powerful and emotional film, and only just misses out on my favourite film of the year.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to carleslempner)
Post #: 11
- 30/12/2012 9:18:11 PM   
TheGodfather

Beasts Of The Southern Wild
Right at the end of the year I`ve seen one of the year`s best.
Seen from the point of view of Hushpuppy, a little girl who lives with her father in the muddy area`s of southern Louisiana, first time director Benh Zeitlin gives a look into the lives of her and her father. Lives in wich taking care of yourself without any outside help plays a big role and in wich there is no place for pity.
It is a film in wich existential questions are asked, wich does make you look at the world and the way we live in it and with each other at a different way.

An intoxicatingly beautiful film where Quvenzhané Wallis gives a memorable performance as the little Hushpuppy, one that really justifies multiple viewings. Only then you`ll reall "get" all of it and you`ll be able to take in all of its beauty.

9,5/10

Post #: 12
- 2/1/2013 8:26:09 PM   
danfacey711

Everything about this film down to the story, the acting, the direction and the cinematography is stunning.
Almost perfect

Post #: 13
Lost in the Wild - 15/1/2013 4:53:03 PM   
Dillon the Villain

How a film with no plot, characters who do nothing and with whom it is impossible to empathise, in a style which veers from irritatingly incomprehensible garbage to pretentious self-indulgent triteness can earn itself 5 stars is beyond me. This rates below Shame, which is saying something - at least that looked good at times, this was just a mess.

Post #: 14
Utter Tosh - 15/2/2013 5:06:30 PM   
david hayes

zzzzzzzzzzzz
unlikable characters

Post #: 15
- 23/2/2013 9:27:48 PM   
philshepp

Beautiful film, great acting, super story.

Post #: 16
- 3/3/2013 5:05:36 PM   
poppycack

Truly spectacular and one of the most progressive magic realist films I've seen in a while. Which takes me onto the question - Who would win in a feminist fist-fight: Hushpuppy or Miss Moneypenny? Answers at broadsonfilm.wordpress.com.

Post #: 17
Opinion - 5/3/2013 9:30:27 AM   
guysalisbury

I'm guilty of this as I'm sure most people on the plant are. Getting annoyed with other peoples reviews and opinions. So all the lovers of this film please dont scream, but I thought this film was very average. It seems to me that if you come up with an original idea and make it look good, you have instantly made a classic. This film was beautiful and the acting was good, but Oscar best picture good? Not for me. I found the first hour quite boring. It did get better towards the end but I just thought this was very average and certainly not a classic. I seem to be in the minority so maybe I just didnt get it, but for me, only good.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Beasts Of The Summer Wild Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI