Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Campaign - 25/9/2012 11:34:31 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
THREE STARS... - 25/9/2012 11:34:31 AM   
chrisdagnall

SAW THIS IN THE STATES. PRETTY DECENT, SOME GAGS ARE MISSES MORE THAN HITS, BUT THE TWO STARS ARE ON FORM......

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
THREE STARS... - 25/9/2012 11:34:33 AM   
chrisdagnall

SAW THIS IN THE STATES. PRETTY DECENT, SOME GAGS ARE MISSES MORE THAN HITS, BUT THE TWO STARS ARE ON FORM......

Post #: 3
What's in there? Only what you take with you... - 28/9/2012 5:37:55 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

As likeable as it is (and Ferrell and Galifianakis ensure that it is), the comedic stokes are so broad you could use them to paint a barn in under half an hour. It's a formulaic, button-pushing, autotuned gag-reel that simultaneously represents the best and worst of its genre.

'The Campaign' is consistently funny, yet has no outstanding features whatsoever.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 4
Barely 3 stars - 12/10/2012 8:39:38 AM   
bretty

Not enough really funny moments and a lazy, fly by wire comedy. The two leads almost rescue it but it lacks any real clever gags and everything is signposted.

Post #: 5
Barely 3 stars - 12/10/2012 8:39:42 AM   
bretty

Not enough really funny moments and a lazy, fly by wire comedy. The two leads almost rescue it but it lacks any real clever gags and everything is signposted.

Post #: 6
RE: The Campaign - 17/10/2012 3:11:53 AM   
Phubbs

The Campaign

Dare I say I pretty accurate representation of US politics and how party members behave?. Well maybe not that far but this sure is a good mocking of what US Congressmen get up to in their daily routines. When I say daily routines I mean all the slimy publicity stunts, ass kissing, grovelling...general PR stunts.

Wasn't sure about this one to be honest, Farrell films tend to have a huge swing meter ranging from great to total crap, this surprised me. First off this film is no kiddie fun flick, its an adult comedy all the way and better for it. I was actually really amazed at the level of vulgar swearing and sexual gags, completely hit me off guard as I was expecting something more tame.

Farrell's character is a winner here, his arrogant, loud mouthed, foul mouthed, clueless congressman who keeps sticking his foot in it and not really caring is genius. Easily one of his best performances for ages as he curses his way through the film whilst generally being corrupt, nasty and utterly unhinged, classic Farrell with no PG restrictions. Love that he is shown as the good all American Christian family man yet really he's completely the opposite, corny but funny.

Never heard of Zach Galifianakis much before this. Again its another winning character who is the perfect foil to Farrell's in your face congressman. Galifi....Zach plays your typical American Christian, both congressmen are supposed good Christians but Zach's character is basically the real deal, the good guy, gentle, timid and ultimately based on 'Ned Flanders' methinks.

Behind the plot are the even more corrupt 'Motch brothers' played by comedy legend Dan Aykroyd and John Lithgow. These guys play characters that are similar in vein to the 'Duke brothers' played Don Ameche and Ralph Bellamy in 'Trading Places' if you ask me. They are behind the scenes, behind the dastardly plot and not seen as much but add class and believability to the film.

Loved the PR stunts set up to gain valuable voters and how they are sabotaged by each congressman. Some are exactly as you would see in reality whilst some are truly hilarious, 'Brady' trying to sleep with 'Huggins' wife then broadcast it for example.

A cracking satire and spoof of good honest red, white and blue American politics. As a Brit the mockery of the typical religion obsessed wholesome Christian American family is very amusing. Its basically funny because its all based on reality, real folk and how US politics can be so childish and petty. Is there nothing more cringeworthy than watching real US politicians go on their greasy cross country voter campaigns.

Its all predictable right to the end but the lunacy and crude, sexist, un-PC toilet humour is outrageous, at times shocking, but down right fantastic I can't deny. Its good to see a proper no holds barred adult comedy, the cast benefit as do we the adult viewers. Its not original and its extremely rude but god dam its funny.

'Because Filipino Tilt-a-Whirl operators are this nationís backbone'

Post #: 7
The Campaign - 13/11/2012 4:46:30 AM   
norgizfox

There's some hilarious moments of this film, but, like most Will Ferrell movies, The Campaign is mostly unlikable in its sense of telling a story, having interesting characters, and holding (its poor and generic) themes.

Post #: 8
RE: The Campaign - 13/7/2013 2:38:35 PM   
Ref

Saw this last night on the tele, and whilst there are some very funny scenes in the film, it is let down by immature humour.

2/5

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

Post #: 9
i laughed so much - 17/7/2013 1:12:59 AM   
tysmuse

no comedy should be more than 90 minutes, and this comes in at a spot-on 85 mins. I thought Ferrell was great, liked that he got to drop quite a few f-bombs. Overall, I laughed an awful lot.

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI