New Laptop Batteries

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> New Laptop Batteries Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Laptop Batteries - 19/9/2012 5:24:23 PM   
doubtlesswonder

My laptop has very nicely informed me today that my battery is no longer holding a full charge and that I need to buy a new one. I've never bought a new battery before, so I need some advice.

Where is a good place to buy one, and what should I expect to pay?

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L650.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."
Post #: 1
RE: New Laptop Batteries - 19/9/2012 6:22:08 PM   
elab49

How far down is it? I didn't replace mine till about 30% (I don't travel so it made little difference to me). They were quite expensive as well - I went back to Dell and it was over 100.

I googled yours and while there were some at the price I'd expect there were cheaper ones too - I'm not sure what that means, but I'd guess a lower capacity.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=toshiba+satellite+l650+battery

You could have a look here and see what matches your specifications?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 2
RE: New Laptop Batteries - 19/9/2012 6:50:35 PM   
sanchia

Looking at them the 16.99 one is not too bad and is a 4400mAh which appears to be the standard although less power than the higher capacity official Toshiba 4800mAh which is quite a bit more expensive. Generally you get what you pay for with these batteries and a 16 one will very likely have a shorter lifespan than a more expensive one.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: New Laptop Batteries - 20/9/2012 8:26:38 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I'm not entirely sure how far down it is. When I switched it on (unplugged) I think it was at 87%, but it's going down much faster than it used to. It's so random, it was fine last week. I just don't really have the cash to be forking out 100 for a battery, but I don't want to buy a cheap one and it only last a few months.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 4
RE: New Laptop Batteries - 20/9/2012 8:37:36 PM   
elab49

http://download.cnet.com/BatteryBar/3000-2094_4-10866804.html

I use this. It's just an application that sits on your taskbar.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 5
RE: New Laptop Batteries - 21/9/2012 4:56:32 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Ok, I downloaded that last night- thankyou for the link- and this morning when I turned my laptop on unplugged, it said 92% and the little timer thing was at about an hour.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: New Laptop Batteries - 21/9/2012 5:16:19 PM   
elab49

That's just the normal rundown when you remove the battery from the power - if you click it it will tell you the battery wear at the bottom of the little table that pops up. It must be fairly heavy if 92% is only an hour of time on the battery.

quote:

Post #: 7
RE: New Laptop Batteries - 21/9/2012 8:21:13 PM   
Chief Wiggum

i think my new job might be getting to me - my first thought when i saw the thread title was "contact procurement"

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: New Laptop Batteries - 22/9/2012 1:02:49 AM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

That's just the normal rundown when you remove the battery from the power - if you click it it will tell you the battery wear at the bottom of the little table that pops up. It must be fairly heavy if 92% is only an hour of time on the battery.

Oh right. It says 62.9% of 47,520 mWh

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: New Laptop Batteries - 22/9/2012 1:17:02 AM   
elab49

If you don't travel a lot with it I think you've got a bit to go before you need to replace the battery - although it might be useful to do the legwork just now. 

quote:

Post #: 10
RE: New Laptop Batteries - 22/9/2012 3:28:35 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

If you don't travel a lot with it I think you've got a bit to go before you need to replace the battery - although it might be useful to do the legwork just now. 

I don't take it anywhere so it's probably safe for a bit then. Like you say, though, might be a good idea to try and find a good deal now.

Thanks for your help

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: New Laptop Batteries - 26/9/2012 1:45:45 PM   
great_badir

This is just from my own experience, so caveat emptor an' all that...

With all of my techie replacement batteries, having initially got frustrated with ridculous high street prices, I've had pretty good success with the Chinese/Pakistani/Indian eBay merchants - they have the best prices and most of the factor batteries they sell appear to be pretty much the same as those stamped with a "name" (Sony, Toshiba, Motorola etc etc). Some of those same merchants also sell legitimate name batteries at a reduced price. Just make sure their listings clearly say if it's a factor battery, or a legit one, and also make doubly sure you read any negative or neutral feedback and avoid those which expose the merchant as selling fake or badly made products, and also do be mindful of pricing - I would say any battery being offered by one of these guys on eBay for just a few quid when it would normally cost you 20 on the high street are almost certainly duff. But anything going for half or three quarters of the Real Rip-off Price is probs legit and okay.

Just my own findings, and one of my laptops is currently sporting a 5+ year old factor battery which has had pretty much daily use (average 6 hours a day, more at weekends) and is only now starting to show real signs of wanting to be pensioned off. The equivalent official battery goes for anything between 22 and 40 (depending on availability), whereas this factor one cost me 11.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 12
RE: New Laptop Batteries - 26/9/2012 2:09:56 PM   
elab49

I'm beginning to think I was an idiot for playing safe and going to Dell for my replacement battery 

quote:

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 13
RE: New Laptop Batteries - 22/10/2012 12:17:04 AM   
doubtlesswonder

I found this one: http://www.pcbattery.co.uk/laptop_battery_desc.php?id=133496

25 seems like a decent price.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> New Laptop Batteries Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI