Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Daiyu/Senkaku Territorial Dispute

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> The Daiyu/Senkaku Territorial Dispute Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Daiyu/Senkaku Territorial Dispute - 17/9/2012 3:24:33 PM   
Deviation

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/17/us-china-japan-idUSBRE88F00H20120917

So, with all the bullshit going on involving a terrible anti-Islam film, I am finding this a bit more worrying. The dispute of the Senkaku (name in Japanese) or Daiyu (if you're Chinese) has escalated in anti-Japanese sentiment, leading to violent attacks on Japanese factories on the anniversary of the 1931 Japanese occupation of some parts of mainland China, which could lead to some rather grave economic worries beween two of Asia's, and the planet's, greatest economies.

Here's another link.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/17/business/china-japan-panasonic/index.html

< Message edited by Deviation -- 17/9/2012 3:37:13 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates
Post #: 1
RE: The Daiyu/Senkaku Territorial Dispute - 17/9/2012 3:34:29 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

As usual it looks to be down to resources - why not have a joint Chinese/ Japanese deal to split whatever they find.

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 17/9/2012 3:35:52 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 2
RE: The Daiyu/Senkaku Territorial Dispute - 17/9/2012 3:40:01 PM   
Deviation

It's always going to be about resources, which is why I also think why Japan is also disputing the Kuril Islands agaisnt the Russians.

And the Chinese, or at least a noticeable and very vocal portion of the Chinese citizens, still don't like the Japanese a lot.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 3
RE: The Daiyu/Senkaku Territorial Dispute - 17/9/2012 3:40:05 PM   
AxlReznor

I haven't been really following this, so I could be completely wrong, but I've been under the impression that the disputed islands (as well as other islands that are under dispute with South Korea) were acquired during Japan's invasions during the 30's.
If this is the case, then I believe that they really should have been surrendered in 1945 along with what they'd taken of the mainland in that time. I have Japanese friends who would probably really be pissed off with me if I told them that I think China and Korea are right.

The anti-Japanese sentiment that's being drummed up over there is disgusting, though. I understand that the history of these nations has made things a bit tense between them, but the Chinese are just going completely overboard to show their support of their country. I hope that some resolution comes in the near future.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4
RE: The Daiyu/Senkaku Territorial Dispute - 17/9/2012 3:54:55 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I haven't been really following this, so I could be completely wrong, but I've been under the impression that the disputed islands (as well as other islands that are under dispute with South Korea) were acquired during Japan's invasions during the 30's.
If this is the case, then I believe that they really should have been surrendered in 1945 along with what they'd taken of the mainland in that time. I have Japanese friends who would probably really be pissed off with me if I told them that I think China and Korea are right.

Apparently the Japanese have had control of them since 1895 till them loosing brutally the Second World War. The Chinese claim they controlled them since the 14th Century. I don't know much about this either.

quote:

The anti-Japanese sentiment that's being drummed up over there is disgusting, though. I understand that the history of these nations has made things a bit tense between them, but the Chinese are just going completely overboard to show their support of their country. I hope that some resolution comes in the near future.

Not justifying the grudge some Chinese nationals hold agaisnt Japan, but the Japanese were brutal during the occupation (like most countries during WW2) and there has been some controversial choices (and as disgusting as the Chinese use of the atroicities to feed in anti-Japanese sentiment with their propaganda) on the Japanese side when it comes to the teaching of the atrocities in their own countries, especially when the right-wing Japanese ubernationalists get involved. Long story short, I don't think these tensions will go any day soon and they will take a hell of a long time to go.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 17/9/2012 4:14:31 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 5
RE: The Daiyu/Senkaku Territorial Dispute - 17/9/2012 4:12:34 PM   
AxlReznor

Looks like I got the wrong Sino-Japanese War, then. They acquired them during the First Sino-Japanese War, which was just after Japan gave into the bullying from the UK, US, France and Russia to become more Westernised and then joined those country's in bullying China. That was the era of the unfair treaty... ie: "Sign this treaty, and we won't kill you all", which is incidentally how the UK got the 100 year lease on Hong Kong. I don't agree with a lot of what China does nowadays, but I believe they've got a fair claim to the sovereignty of the islands considering they were taken by force. If people lived there, I'd think differently... I'd say, "if no one on the island can remember a time when they belonged to China then they shouldn't go back to China", but as they're uninhabited and it's entirely a dispute for resources, they should be given back to China.

Interestingly, that will also lead to another dispute, between the People's Republic Of China (the mainland), and the Republic Of China (Taiwan) who also claim sovereignty. That one is a lot less straight-forward...

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6
RE: The Daiyu/Senkaku Territorial Dispute - 18/9/2012 12:27:31 PM   
elab49

I wouldn't underestimate the nationalistic side because of the resource issue. Japan also has another major island dispute ongoing with South Korea, the Dokdo islands. There was a Korean national day recently with visits to the island and it even turned up in comments from Olympic athletes. It's quite bitter as well as SKor see it as Japan trying to keep a hold of the last part of SKor and the memory of the occupation is still pretty raw for the older generations (hence the ongoing controversy over 'comfort women').

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 7
RE: The Daiyu/Senkaku Territorial Dispute - 18/9/2012 12:37:29 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

The Japanese were really vicious in WW2 and I reckon that has something to do with it all as well. Chinese and Koreans apart I remember an interview with British soldiers who said they fought like crazy against the Japanese because they knew that being captured was not an option.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: The Daiyu/Senkaku Territorial Dispute - 18/9/2012 4:30:03 PM   
sharkboy

If the Chinese see their claim as more valid as they have had a longer presence on the islands, I wonder if this means that they'll reconsider their occupation of Tibet?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 9
RE: The Daiyu/Senkaku Territorial Dispute - 18/9/2012 4:48:05 PM   
AxlReznor

Tibet was only independent between 1913 and 1951. Before then it was under the control of the Chinese Emperor. The invasion was merely getting it back. (Not seeing that I agree/disagree with them being there, but it's a misconception that it was always a seperate country until China invaded).

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 10
RE: The Daiyu/Senkaku Territorial Dispute - 18/9/2012 6:17:44 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Tibet was only independent between 1913 and 1951. Before then it was under the control of the Chinese Emperor. The invasion was merely getting it back. (Not seeing that I agree/disagree with them being there, but it's a misconception that it was always a seperate country until China invaded).

What about the Tibetan Empire, the Phagmodrupa Dynasty and self-determination of a people who are not Han Chinese though? I can't see it as being similar to this. In some stages control was even minimal.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> The Daiyu/Senkaku Territorial Dispute Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI