Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 29/9/2012 2:57:11 PM   
TheSpleen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timbzy

Empire Records before it was cut down to be just one day in the life of a record store.

Please elaborate! I had no idea... Is this whishful thinking or is there an extended cut?

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 31
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 30/9/2012 1:54:00 AM   
Shifty Bench

It's true, Empire Records was cut down to 80-ish minutes. There was a VHS trailer that involved AJ and Corey next to water. Pretty sure they jump in at one point. The only trailer I could find on Youtube is this one that has a brief waterside clip at 57 seconds-ish- click

Thre is an extended version available on dvd that adds 15 minutes but I don't think those water scenes are in there (I haven't seen it, though)- click

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 32
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 30/9/2012 11:00:30 AM   
TheSpleen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

It's true, Empire Records was cut down to 80-ish minutes. There was a VHS trailer that involved AJ and Corey next to water. Pretty sure they jump in at one point. The only trailer I could find on Youtube is this one that has a brief waterside clip at 57 seconds-ish- click

Thre is an extended version available on dvd that adds 15 minutes but I don't think those water scenes are in there (I haven't seen it, though)- click

Thanks for the help!

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 33
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 30/9/2012 6:03:50 PM   
Shifty Bench

No problem

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 34
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 30/9/2012 8:18:32 PM   
paul.mccluskey

The Director's Cut of The Exorcist III, subtitled Legion. All the cut footage apparently exists as Mark Kermode has been searching for it, but Morgan Creek aren't interested in restoring it.

Also, the full negative of The Wicker Man, which included a lot of outtakes and additional footage. According to legend, Michael Deeley buried it under the M3.

Post #: 35
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 4/10/2012 1:28:47 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey
The Director's Cut of The Exorcist III, subtitled Legion. All the cut footage apparently exists as Mark Kermode has been searching for it, but Morgan Creek aren't interested in restoring it.

VERY good shout - I love the existing version, so I can only imagine Blatty's intended version is amazing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: AngryDude92
The 4hours and 20ish minutes cut of Once upon a time in America. it's out there somewhere.

And it's on the way, isn't it? As in being released on DVD/blu?

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby
quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

The rumoured 5 hour version of Malik's The Thin Red Line.

Is that not like the legendary "Five hour cut" of Apocalypse Now? I don't doubt a much longer cut exists (we all know about the big names who ended upon the cutting room floor - a lot of 'em get namechecked in the credits), but this still sounds more like a rough cut to me. Look at Apocalypse Now - Redux. Size isn't everything!

I personally prefer Redux over the original - it gives the film and the characters a lot more life and purpose in my opinion - with only the confusingly toned extended Playboy bunny sequence being a misfire.

But with Thin Red Line, no, nothing like. The five hour cut of Apocalypse Now (which was available online to download some years ago, taken from a ropey bootlegged video) is full of pointlessly extended scenes, longer alternative takes and lots of nothing.

(Some will argue that both Redux and the existing cut of Thin Red Line are just like that anyway)

Malick's original (intended for release) 5-odd hour cut of Thin Red Line included characters and sub-plots that were completely pertinent to the rest of the film.

Considering he shot 180 hours of USABLE footage (granted, most of that will probably just be wildlife, trees, and people looking at stuff during sunset), a 5 hour cut would still be pretty ruthless in terms of what was left out.

The one I'm waiting for is Friedkin's Sorcerer - he's battling in court for the rights to it so he can give it the home video release it has long deserved, but seems to be floundering a bit cos no one seems to have a clue who actually owns the film at the moment.

I'd also love to see the original version of Smokey and the Bandit 3, which was called Smokey IS the Bandit, where Jackie Gleason plays both Buford T Justice as well as the bandit. The film was completed (confirmed by director Dick Lowry years ago, despite Wiki currently saying that it's not known how much of the original film was shot) and, by all accounts, it's pretty good and a million times better than the existing version (which, I have to say, I have a soft spot for). Unfortunately, the only copy(ies) of Smokey IS the Bandit is/are owned by the Gleason estate, and they have already gone on record (again, years ago) to say that it will never be released.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 36
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 4/10/2012 1:40:40 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir
I'd also love to see the original version of Smokey and the Bandit 3, which was called Smokey IS the Bandit,

Brilliant, thank you. You've just cleared up a quote from Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey that never made sense to me. I always wondered what the fuck Death was on about .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 37
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 4/10/2012 1:50:23 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle
Brilliant, thank you. You've just cleared up a quote from Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey that never made sense to me. I always wondered what the fuck Death was on about .

I don't remember said quote, but you are most welcome.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 38
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 4/10/2012 2:03:05 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I don't remember said quote, but you are most welcome.

It's when they're in Heaven and Station is playing charades, Death blurts out "Smokey and the Bandit 3, Smokey IS the Bandit". I'd never heard of it referred to as that so always wondered what the hell he was on about. Obviously it's been fucking ages since I watched it because otherwise I'd have just Googled it .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 39
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 4/10/2012 5:09:24 PM   
TheSpleen

Finally managed to watch the Halloween 6 producers cut and found it rather enjoyable. The theatrical version hurt my brain.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 40
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 9/10/2012 2:43:10 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Yup, I REALLY want to see this one. I remember reading an in-depth article about it in Cinefantastique at the time before the studio butchered it and not one image in the article ended up in the theatrical version - there was a black Angel of Death if I remember right...

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 41
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 9/10/2012 2:53:02 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSpleen

Finally managed to watch the Halloween 6 producers cut and found it rather enjoyable. The theatrical version hurt my brain.

Is there much of a difference? I haven't seen it.

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 42
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 9/10/2012 7:50:00 PM   
TheSpleen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSpleen

Is there much of a difference? I haven't seen it.

I find it more enjoyable and the story makes a little more sense. Alternate death scenes and plot bits here and there too. It was only released as a bootleg never an official dvd or anything. Here's a list of the changes.

http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1392

Post #: 43
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 9/10/2012 8:23:46 PM   
Shifty Bench

Cheers. I was going to look at movie-censorship before I asked you but decided I'd rather just watch it and see for myself. That way it'll be like watching a new film. Sort of

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 44
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 25/3/2013 12:35:39 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

Superman II - a 'Final Cut' that incorperates the best of each version

Star Trek V - Directors cut with redone FX/new ending like was done for Star Trek TMP (done right it could be like Star Treks Prometheus)

Oh, man. What I'd give for that ultimate Superman II cut.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 45
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 8/4/2013 8:32:29 AM   
fairyprincess

I'd be interested in seeing the directors cut of the avengers. Apprantly, a lot of the blame for that film was the way it was mucked around with by the producers.

Matter of life& death, spirited away, Little mermaid, carry on camping, Amelie, Ed wood, Hairspray(2007), Casablanca, an affair to remember, phantom of the opera (2005)

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 46
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 8/4/2013 10:22:23 AM   
spark1

'the keep' has been shown on film4 recently.

would like to see the original cut of welles' 'magnificent ambersons' and the full version of fiennes/thurman's 'avengers'.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 47
RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? - 8/4/2013 11:56:04 PM   
Mister Coe

For me, it's gotta be 'Savage Nights', a French film I saw once in the early nineties on Channel 4 and loved... never got the chance to see again... no DVD, no subsequent TV showings. I think it was ace, it might have been shit, but I'd love to see it again to make up my mind.

Also, another vote for an extended 'Twin Peaks - Fire Walk With Me'...

Say what now?

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What Are Your Movie "Holy Grails"? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI