Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

London Screening of The Master in 70mm?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> London Screening of The Master in 70mm? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 14/9/2012 12:54:32 PM   
pmstephens

Howdy, does anyone know where I can see The Master in London on 70mm?

I have searched a number of large-screen cinema listings, I have Googled extensively, I'm coming up blanks.

I would have thought the IMAX would have had it, but no.

Any ideas.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Paul
Post #: 1
RE: London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 14/9/2012 5:54:32 PM   
UTB

I'm sure BFI will show it at some point, but how many prints are there?

(in reply to pmstephens)
Post #: 2
RE: London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 16/9/2012 1:41:21 PM   
adambatman82

The British distributor (Entertainment) have no plans to bring over a 70mm print I'm afraid. Which is very frustrating. I'm involved in a campaign to get a print over in time for next years instalment of a 70mm festival that I attend, with our plans being to tour the print around Europe in a road-show fashion, should we be able to get ahold of one. Every 70mm capable venue in the UK is on board with the plan (although there are only a handful of them), we just need the print now.

(in reply to pmstephens)
Post #: 3
RE: London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 19/9/2012 12:27:39 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

I'm sure BFI will show it at some point, but how many prints are there?

Anderson announced tonight that there are 16 prints. Which is 14 more than I thought there would be!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 4
RE: London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 1/10/2012 7:17:59 PM  1 votes
UTB

Odeon West End are showing it for 2 weeks from 2nd November.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/distribution/odeon-west-end-gets-two-week-exclusive-run-of-the-master-in-70mm/5047230.article

Awesome news. Definitely going.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 5
RE: London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 6/10/2012 10:59:52 PM   
movieevangelist

It's not London (obviously), but this evening the Cambridge Arts Picturehouse announced on Twitter that they'll be showing it in 70mm from 16th November.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 6
RE: London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 8/11/2012 9:43:04 AM   
pmstephens

Big thanks to UTB.

Went to see the screening at ODEON West End last night.

Excellent.

(in reply to movieevangelist)
Post #: 7
RE: London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 8/11/2012 10:55:09 AM   
UTB

Excellent! I went too. Best film I've seen all year.

(in reply to pmstephens)
Post #: 8
RE: London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 8/11/2012 4:31:47 PM   
adambatman82

I too went last Friday! I saw it a few weeks earlier in digital, but the 70mm made it even more impressive (it was already my film of the year based on the digital screening).

I should have updated this thread btw, but I totally forgot about it. The 70mm print is going on tour later this month. It starts, as mentioned in Cambridge for a period, before heading elsewhere. Liverpool FACT definitely have it for one night, while I expect Edinburgh Cameo and Pictureville Bradford will also be screening it, while a pal of mine tells me a screening in Manchester is on the cards.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 9
RE: London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 8/11/2012 7:13:14 PM   
UTB

Did you have to put up with the Les Mis featurette? Has to be the single most 'wanky' thing I've ever seen. If anything it proved that my love of film and utter hatred of actors isn't crazy.

And who'd have thought singing live would ever be classed as 'groundbreaking'?

Urgh. I shall be using it as an argument for more bare bones dvd/blu ray releases. They might as well have been tossing each other off. That would have been infinitely less wanky, ironically.

Post #: 10
RE: London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 8/11/2012 8:33:10 PM   
giggity

I actually thought the Les Mis featurette was pretty good. Actually made me excited for the film and I dislike musicals. I'd like more trailers to take this route and instead of showing everything that happens in the film show some footage and behind the scenes stuff to try and tell the audience what they're doing. It's much more interesting.

btw adambatman as someone who's seen both versions can you tell us if there were any huge differences between the digital and 70mm print? I only saw the 70mm print and it looked beautiful!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 11
RE: London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 8/11/2012 8:33:37 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Did you have to put up with the Les Mis featurette? Has to be the single most 'wanky' thing I've ever seen. If anything it proved that my love of film and utter hatred of actors isn't crazy.

And who'd have thought singing live would ever be classed as 'groundbreaking'?

Yep, got the Les Mis featurette. It was heckled in our screening! I was actually quite looking forward to the film, I'm a fan of the three leads, but that's pretty much killed any anticipation.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 12
RE: London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 8/11/2012 8:42:43 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

btw adambatman as someone who's seen both versions can you tell us if there were any huge differences between the digital and 70mm print? I only saw the 70mm print and it looked beautiful!

I'm a big fan of 70mm, so naturally lean towards the "yes there is a huge difference" side of the argument. However, I did tweet as soon as I sat down in the theatre that it wasn't a particularly big format friendly auditorium (low ceilings, unusual seating etc). I'd never been in Screen 2 of the Odeon West End, so booked third row seats, but had I known just how far set back the screen was from the front row then I'd have gone for the front row. I suspect the average person, sitting towards the back of the screening room would have left muttering things along the lines of "I couldn't tell the difference".

It's a beautifully shot film, so it's going to look great in any format, but from a technical perspective our eyes ought to theoretically be able to see more information and notice more detail on the 70mm print. Were I to recommend one version of The Master, I'd suggest making the effort to see it in 70mm. As is usually the case with the vinyl argument, I certainly think there's a difference in the "feel" of the experience of watching a film *on* film.

Funnily enough I had this exact conversation with Empire's own Kim Newman outside of my first screening of the film. We didn't know if it was going to be digital or 70mm that night see, so there were a number of folk quite worried that they wouldn't be able to actually tell the difference between the two if not told which version we were watching. You'd be surprised by the number of people, and professional film critics at that, that admitted that evening of not being able to tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray!

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 8/11/2012 8:47:51 PM >

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 13
RE: London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 8/11/2012 8:54:09 PM   
giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

I'm a big fan of 70mm, so naturally lean towards the "yes there is a huge difference" side of the argument. However, I did tweet as soon as I sat down in the theatre that it wasn't a particularly big format friendly auditorium (low ceilings, unusual seating etc). I'd never been in Screen 2 of the Odeon West End, so booked third row seats, but had I known just how far set back the screen was from the front row then I'd have gone for the front row. I suspect the average person, sitting towards the back of the screening room would have left muttering things along the lines of "I couldn't tell the difference".

It's a beautifully shot film, so it's going to look great in any format, but from a technical perspective our eyes ought to theoretically be able to see more information and notice more detail on the 70mm print. Were I to recommend one version of The Master, I'd suggest making the effort to see it in 70mm. As is usually the case with the vinyl argument, I certainly think there's a difference in the "feel" of the experience of watching a film *on* film.

Funnily enough I had this exact conversation with Empire's own Kim Newman outside of my first screening of the film. We didn't know if it was going to be digital or 70mm that night see, so there were a number of folk quite worried that they wouldn't be able to actually tell the difference between the two if not told which version we were watching. You'd be surprised by the number of people, and professional film critics at that, that admitted that evening of not being able to tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray!

Really? That is surprising. I remember one of the first blu-ray's I got was The Dark Knight and I remember showing my brother the truck chase scene and then showing him the same scene on his DVD and I was shocked how blurry the picture was on the dvd (although i've since found that the Blu-Ray makes Two Face's burnt face look less convincing while the dvd it looks more believable)

Also I remember putting in Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol Blu Ray and thinking halfway through watching it that it was an extremely poor picture for Blu Ray...only to realise that I had accidentally put in the dvd version of the film!

Post #: 14
RE: London Screening of The Master in 70mm? - 10/11/2012 8:55:20 AM   
Spectre

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Really? That is surprising. I remember one of the first blu-ray's I got was The Dark Knight and I remember showing my brother the truck chase scene and then showing him the same scene on his DVD and I was shocked how blurry the picture was on the dvd (although i've since found that the Blu-Ray makes Two Face's burnt face look less convincing while the dvd it looks more believable)

Also I remember putting in Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol Blu Ray and thinking halfway through watching it that it was an extremely poor picture for Blu Ray...only to realise that I had accidentally put in the dvd version of the film!

Yeah, it's a shame when there's a lack of effort put into the bluray. If you compare the bluray and DVD for a film like Lawrence of Arabia though, the difference is night and day.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> London Screening of The Master in 70mm? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI