Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DREDD

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: DREDD Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DREDD - 23/10/2012 4:12:41 PM   
Bad Ash

quote:

ORIGINAL: manwihtheplan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Well this is bullshit! I asked for Dredd on Blu-Ray for Christmas, convinced it would be released in time for then but today I get an email from amazon, announcing the release date as 14th January? what possible reason could they have for releasing it just after the Christmas buying period?

Another dumb marketing move.

Hmm... would suggest the producers don't have much faith in Dredd 3D making much DVD/Bluray money over the Christmas period. Perhaps fascist cops don't appeal during the 'season to be jolly - fa la la la la la la la la.'

If January is a bad month for DVD/Blu-ray sales then it will feel as if the producers/investors have washed their hands of Dredd 3D.

In hindsight Dredd 3D was a release date cock-up. Having said that, many people did say "September doesn't seem the right month to release this film" and it turned out to be the wrong month! I think early spring would have been better. For one thing it would have got the jump on all the other comic book films released this year - Batman, Spider-Man, Avengers, Captain Custard, Sausage-Man.

Screw Dredd 3D, I want to know when these 2 flicks are coming out!! Although I think I may have seen Sausage Man on the internet somewhere......

I know where the bastard sleeps!

(in reply to manwihtheplan)
Post #: 121
RE: DREDD - 23/10/2012 4:25:05 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Dredd is a fantastic sci fi action film.One of the best iv seen in years.

My own personal opinion why it didnt do well in the u.s is..

1) The hero didnt have an ''emotional redemptive arc ''.

2) It was an action film for adults with hard core violence so kiddies couldnt see it.

3) No romantic subplot to keep teenage girls from getting bored.

4) No ''comic relief '' character to be a sidekick to the hero.

5) No trendy shakeycam to make the action scenes incomprehensible

6) It didnt have vampires in it.

7) It didnt have Transformers in it.

And dreddhead (sorry, manwiththeplan) this is a favourite films thread.You dont like the film thats fair enough but you are just trolling now.

Thing is Battleship had all the above (bar Vampires!) or was all the things that Dredd wasn't and that tanked in the US, so this list doesn't really make any sense.

Thing is if Dredd had grossed as much as Battleship did ( over 300 million ), it would have been considered a MAJOR box office success.Battleship is considered a flop because it didn't make a sufficent return on its massive budget of over 200 million.

So my argument still stands!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 122
RE: DREDD - 23/10/2012 5:11:58 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dredd is a fantastic sci fi action film.One of the best iv seen in years.

My own personal opinion why it didnt do well in the u.s is..

1) The hero didnt have an ''emotional redemptive arc ''.

2) It was an action film for adults with hard core violence so kiddies couldnt see it.

3) No romantic subplot to keep teenage girls from getting bored.

4) No ''comic relief '' character to be a sidekick to the hero.

5) No trendy shakeycam to make the action scenes incomprehensible

6) It didnt have vampires in it.

7) It didnt have Transformers in it.

And dreddhead (sorry, manwiththeplan) this is a favourite films thread.You dont like the film thats fair enough but you are just trolling now.

Thing is Battleship had all the above (bar Vampires!) or was all the things that Dredd wasn't and that tanked in the US, so this list doesn't really make any sense.

Thing is if Dredd had grossed as much as Battleship did ( over 300 million ), it would have been considered a MAJOR box office success.Battleship is considered a flop because it didn't make a sufficent return on its massive budget of over 200 million.

Ah fair point mate, it's all relative

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 123
RE: DREDD - 23/10/2012 7:45:52 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

It really doesn't.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 124
RE: DREDD - 24/10/2012 4:21:02 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

It really doesn't.

Especially since Battleship had a bigger budget and with that, a much bigger marketing budget than Dredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 125
RE: DREDD - 24/10/2012 8:21:37 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Sometimes i just don't have the energy to argue with Cool Breeze, winning arguments on this forum is VERY important to him, sometimes it's best to just let it go

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 126
RE: DREDD - 24/10/2012 12:43:41 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Sometimes i just don't have the energy to argue with Cool Breeze, winning arguments on this forum is VERY important to him, sometimes it's best to just let it go

Ha ha ha! No worries mate.Just accept that im always right and life will be easier!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 127
RE: DREDD - 24/10/2012 12:50:30 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Especially since Battleship had a bigger budget and with that, a much bigger marketing budget than Dredd

Also: those reasons listed are, y'know, bullshit and predicated on nothing but conjecture.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 24/10/2012 12:56:02 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 128
RE: DREDD - 24/10/2012 1:41:10 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

Ha ha ha! No worries mate.Just accept that im always right and life will be easier!

I'm trying! You're right about Dredd, so that's something!

Post #: 129
RE: DREDD - 24/10/2012 3:41:12 PM   
Cool Breeze

What an awesome bike this was!

Sure went a lot faster than Stallones version!

Post #: 130
RE: DREDD - 15/12/2012 9:11:50 AM   
cherrycole

Hey Guys, I am Cherry Cole.It's been a brilliant year for movies. I've seen 8 or 9 movies in the cinema this year (I saw maybe 2 the year before). Just saw Skyfall and it was quite good. I've been mulling over which was my fave movie of the year: Dredd or Looper (Skyfall's not far behind). It has to be Dredd. I've not been so thrilled about a movie in years.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 131
RE: DREDD - 17/12/2012 10:37:21 PM   
jermreen

Welcome to the Empire forum Cherry Cole. Have to agree, a very good year for movies and I have been to the cinema more times this year than any other I reckon. After seeing the Hobbit last night and very pleased with it I still think Dredd is film of the year for me, but I am huuuuge Dredd fan anyway. It was the most enjoyable film of the whole lot and used 3D to perfection.

Fav music Genres:
1.Uplifting Trance
2. 80's
3. Soundtrack
4. Hardcore
5. Chillout

(in reply to cherrycole)
Post #: 132
RE: DREDD - 1/1/2013 2:46:22 PM   
Cool Breeze

Only two weeks before Dredd is released on blu ray! Unfortunately, there is no version available without the bloody 3D version, which no doubt ups the price, but at least the regular 2D version is included.Really looking forward to seeing it again !

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 133
RE: DREDD - 1/1/2013 3:17:02 PM   
Scott_

Pretty hyped for the Blu. I was one of those who helped it flop by not catching it at the Cinema, probably the worse decision I made last year.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 134
RE: DREDD - 1/1/2013 3:53:27 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Only two weeks before Dredd is released on blu ray! Unfortunately, there is no version available without the bloody 3D version, which no doubt ups the price, but at least the regular 2D version is included.Really looking forward to seeing it again !

Blame EIV, as this is standard practice for them, also all their stuff is cheap as it gets so no need to whine

Post #: 135
RE: DREDD - 1/1/2013 4:15:45 PM   
rich

In the same boat as others waiting for the BD release, can't wait

quote:

It's 13 quid on Amazon, seems reasonable whether you want 3D or not.

< Message edited by rich -- 1/1/2013 4:17:11 PM >

Meanwhile...

Post #: 136
RE: DREDD - 1/1/2013 4:51:22 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Pretty hyped for the Blu. I was one of those who helped it flop by not catching it at the Cinema, probably the worse decision I made last year.

Im blaming you and Rich for there not being any sequels then !

Of course you may help turn the tide and make Dredd a big home entertainment hit.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 137
RE: DREDD - 6/1/2013 9:03:02 PM   
Cool Breeze

Disappointed to see what is apparently a very meagre selection of extras on the blu if Empires review of it in this months edition of the mag is anything to go by.Youd think there would be a commentary at least by the director.

Post #: 138
RE: DREDD - 13/1/2013 7:38:44 PM   
mackey

Blu-ray winging it's way to me at the moment, really enjoyed it at the cinema; along with Piranha 3D, the best 3D movie I've seen on the big screen - what 3D was made for!

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

Post #: 139
RE: DREDD - 13/1/2013 9:31:50 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Will be picking this up tomorrow lunchtime. Apparently it's 13 instore at tesco, which matches online prices

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 140
RE: DREDD - 14/1/2013 1:30:01 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

Will be picking this up tomorrow lunchtime. Apparently it's 13 instore at tesco, which matches online prices

It is 13 instore at Tesco just got it today before the snow starts. Really looking forward to seeing this missed it at the pictures.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 141
RE: DREDD - 14/1/2013 1:58:51 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

For those who are not watching this in 3D be warned, there are rampant issues with the 2D image on this disc as has been documented elsewhere with quite a large fluctuation in terms of image quality between shots. These problems are barely evident in the 3D version. I haven't had chance to view my copy yet, i will later on, but these are the reports i've seen elsewhere in various reviews

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 142
RE: DREDD - 14/1/2013 7:39:09 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

OK i have now had chance to verify the problems with the PQ on this release myself and the 2D version goes from looking amazing to looking horrendous. Anyone with the blu go to the 24 min mark and check out the scene with mama walking down the corridor. OUCH! (Thanks to Mavrick on bluray.com for pointing out this particularly egregious moment). I am glad to say that the 3D version looks way better

Post #: 143
RE: DREDD - 14/1/2013 8:49:28 PM   
paulyboy

With regards to the 2D issues, I think "rampant" is pushing it a bit far, I watched the Blu-Ray the other day and only really noticed it a few times, with that corridor sequence being the worst offender. It looks like digital noise from what I can see, it's so heavy in certain scenes that it really obscures detail, making those sequences rather murky and soft as a result. It's very similar to Miami Vice in that respect, stunning in well lit shots, a complete mixed bag in others.

It's strange that the 3D version fairs so much better, I'm fairly sure on these discs that include both versions you're essentially watching one of the "eyes" when you choose the 2D version.

Anyway, definitely not a deal breaker for anyone in my opinion, overall it's still quite nice looking.

As for the film, not entirely sure why I bought it in truth, didn't think much of it at the cinema, but had some Amazon vouchers and thought I'd give it a second chance, I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi. Can't say my overall impression has really improved much, it's OK, but that's the only word that springs to mind, nothing really stands out for me and the action sequences in particular really fail to get the pulse racing, they're the very definition of the word average. Still stunned this was received so well critically, I must be missing something.

**Runs and hides!**

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

Post #: 144
RE: DREDD - 14/1/2013 8:55:24 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

With regards to the 2D issues, I think "rampant" is pushing it a bit far, I watched the Blu-Ray the other day and only really noticed it a few times, with that corridor sequence being the worst offender. It looks like digital noise from what I can see, it's so heavy in certain scenes that it really obscures detail, making those sequences rather murky and soft as a result. It's very similar to Miami Vice in that respect, stunning in well lit shots, a complete mixed bag in others.

It's strange that the 3D version fairs so much better, I'm fairly sure on these discs that include both versions you're essentially watching one of the "eyes" when you choose the 2D version.

Anyway, definitely not a deal breaker for anyone in my opinion, overall it's still quite nice looking.

As for the film, not entirely sure why I bought it in truth, didn't think much of it at the cinema, but had some Amazon vouchers and thought I'd give it a second chance, I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi. Can't say my overall impression has really improved much, it's OK, but that's the only word that springs to mind, nothing really stands out for me and the action sequences in particular really fail to get the pulse racing, they're the very definition of the word average. Still stunned this was received so well critically, I must be missing something.

**Runs and hides!**

You're right paulyboy, i think i went a bit overboard when i said rampant. It crops up from time to time though, or shot to shot every now and then.

Just rewatched it in 3D (saw it in 3D at the cinema) and i loved it just as much. I think it's an awesome movie and the 3D is spectacular!

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 145
RE: DREDD - 14/1/2013 9:37:47 PM   
adambatman82

I just watched the 2D version and was surprised by how bad it looks in scenes. It looks like the contrast boosting of the first French Connection Blu-ray coupled with DNR to me. Really odd. I actually thought the film was quite ugly on theatrical release, and remarked so in my original review, but I'm sure it wasn't *this* bad. It's a real shame, but in a roundabout way it does really encourage the whole Carpenter/VHS exploitation vibe, so that's kinda cool.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 14/1/2013 9:38:50 PM >

Post #: 146
RE: DREDD - 14/1/2013 9:42:20 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I just watched the 2D version and was surprised by how bad it looks in scenes. It looks like the contrast boosting of the first French Connection Blu-ray coupled with DNR to me. Really odd. I actually thought the film was quite ugly on theatrical release, and remarked so in my original review, but I'm sure it wasn't *this* bad. It's a real shame, but in a roundabout way it does really encourage the whole Carpenter/VHS exploitation vibe, so that's kinda cool.

I loved, LOVED this film. Watched it tonight. The picture quality on the 2D, however, was easily the worst transfer I've seen for a modern film. Really, really bad. Parts of it were truly truly shit. Not sure about DNR, seems like noise has been added!

Hoping someone else releases this elsewhere on the planet with a better transfer. This sucked.

Top film though.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 147
RE: DREDD - 14/1/2013 10:04:36 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

It is a shame about the 2D picture quality and a little odd. Like i say though, the 3D version looks great and is way better than the 2D.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 148
RE: DREDD - 14/1/2013 10:17:12 PM   
UTB

This is probably one of the only films so far I've actually wanted to see in 3D and could be the one that makes me buy one.

Don't get excited though DK - I know you'll buy anything with 3D on the box

Post #: 149
RE: DREDD - 14/1/2013 10:19:04 PM   
Vadersville

Damn, I've now been put off getting this a bit here with the stories of poor picture quality. Loved this in the cinema, one of the best examples of a film utilising 3D but at home I'd be stuck with the 2D version...

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: DREDD Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI