Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DREDD

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: DREDD Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DREDD - 15/10/2012 11:28:56 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: manwihtheplan

quote:

Dredd made $7 million dollars at the UK box office alone (i), and it's been released in most of the major markets already - Box Office Mojo is just slow to update.

$72 million is the total budget, including marketing. The production budget was $45 million, but it came in under that figure.Since you trust Mojo so much, you'll see it lists $50 million as the production budget; a rough rule of thumb is that the marketing budget is usually around the same as the production budget. That $72 million total is the amount Dredd has to earn back, and that's why most sites use that figure. I thought you would have welcomed that kind of bad news, Scott.

You're assuming the Box Office Mojo site is inaccurate. It may not be inaccurate. I'm sure Box Office Mojo would dispute Box Office.com's stats. I've not read any other sites that mention the film having a total budget of 72 million dollars. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying one site has the 72 million dollars number. My own opinion - and I have no concrete evidence to back me up - is the overall budget is considerably less than 72 million dollars. If the total budget were around that figure I'm sure the scope of the film would be a tad bigger. Even the most ardent fan of Dredd 3D would accept its small scale so it's extremely likely the overall budget is less than $72 mill (taking into account some of that amount would be for marketing).

Box Office tends to always be ahead of Mojo with international box office. Mojo eventually catches up.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to manwihtheplan)
Post #: 91
RE: DREDD - 15/10/2012 11:43:20 AM   
Deviation

If 72 million truly is the budget+makreting, than Dredd might have had the most pitiful marketing I've seen recently.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 92
RE: DREDD - 15/10/2012 12:34:23 PM   
Happy Shrapnel

As I've said before........who gives a flying fuck about budget and box office receipts?
blah.....blah.....blah........

As a movie FAN, I go to the movies to be entertained and Dredd did that in abundance !
A damn sight better sci fi movie then that pretentious utter bollox that is Prometheus.

< Message edited by Happy Shrapnel -- 15/10/2012 12:35:07 PM >

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 93
RE: DREDD - 15/10/2012 12:41:20 PM   
Deviation

I was really entertained by both. YAY me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Happy Shrapnel)
Post #: 94
RE: DREDD - 15/10/2012 12:44:53 PM   
Happy Shrapnel

Kudos Dev

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 95
RE: DREDD - 15/10/2012 1:58:56 PM   
manwihtheplan

quote:

If 72 million truly is the budget+makreting, than Dredd might have had the most pitiful marketing I've seen recently.

I'm not sure we'll ever know if that's the right figure. Seems a bit too high and contradicts Alex Garland's 50 million dollars US box office target. I dunno, if the 72 mill figure is accurate, wouldn't the film need to take around 130 - 140 million dollars to make profit?!!!! If the 30 million pre-sales figure is accurate then reduce the 140 to 110 million dollars. That's still a whopping amount of money to make from the box office. 23 - 30 million so far (depending what source you read) and it needs to make at least 100 - 110 million to be profitable? The film will never make profit. Dredd 3D will need to make 70 million from DVD/Blu-ray sales! I don't think that's going to happen.

The Internet Movie Database has the budget at 50 million dollars - the same figure as Box Office Mojo.

It would be interesting to hear or read what the producers think about the box office. Perhaps some brave soul will interview Alex Garland or Allon Reich and get their thoughts on why the film failed to attract a large enough audience. I can't imagine the producers will speak out but you never know.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 15/10/2012 2:16:20 PM >

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 96
RE: DREDD - 15/10/2012 8:59:09 PM   
Cool Breeze

Mods can we PLEASE ban manwithplan from this thread at least? For fucks sake!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 97
RE: DREDD - 17/10/2012 10:59:56 PM   
Vadersville

Let's get this thread back on track!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 98
RE: DREDD - 17/10/2012 11:13:12 PM   
Cool Breeze

My extras wish list for Dredd blu ray.

Two audio commentaries: One by Alex Garland,Pete Travis, and Karl Urban.Second by other cast and crew.

Hour long making of documentary.

Deleted scenes.

Motion prequel comic of Ma Mas backstory.

Screen tests.

Trailers and tv spots.

Photo and art gallery.

Oh and NO 3D VERSION!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 99
RE: DREDD - 19/10/2012 9:17:59 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

My extras wish list for Dredd blu ray.

Two audio commentaries: One by Alex Garland,Pete Travis, and Karl Urban.Second by other cast and crew.

Hour long making of documentary.

Deleted scenes.

Motion prequel comic of Ma Mas backstory.

Screen tests.

Trailers and tv spots.

Photo and art gallery.

Oh and NO 3D VERSION!

I want a special lenticular cover (which might actually happen!) and a collectors comic. The Ma-Ma prologue in the Megazine recently would've been brilliant as an extra for the DVD/ blu-ray methinks.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 100
RE: DREDD - 20/10/2012 10:18:19 AM   
Vadersville

Well this is bullshit! I asked for Dredd on Blu-Ray for Christmas, convinced it would be released in time for then but today I get an email from amazon, announcing the release date as 14th January? what possible reason could they have for releasing it just after the Christmas buying period?

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 101
RE: DREDD - 20/10/2012 10:55:05 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Well this is bullshit! I asked for Dredd on Blu-Ray for Christmas, convinced it would be released in time for then but today I get an email from amazon, announcing the release date as 14th January? what possible reason could they have for releasing it just after the Christmas buying period?

Another dumb marketing move.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 102
RE: DREDD - 20/10/2012 12:04:57 PM   
manwihtheplan

quote:

quote:

Hmm... would suggest the producers don't have much faith in Dredd 3D making much DVD/Bluray money over the Christmas period. Perhaps fascist cops don't appeal during the 'season to be jolly - fa la la la la la la la la.'

If January is a bad month for DVD/Blu-ray sales then it will feel as if the producers/investors have washed their hands of Dredd 3D.

In hindsight Dredd 3D was a release date cock-up. Having said that, many people did say "September doesn't seem the right month to release this film" and it turned out to be the wrong month! I think early spring would have been better. For one thing it would have got the jump on all the other comic book films released this year - Batman, Spider-Man, Avengers, Captain Custard, Sausage-Man.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 20/10/2012 12:13:04 PM >

Post #: 103
RE: DREDD - 20/10/2012 12:11:35 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

Agreed. Jan 14th is at a time when most people will be skint and have plenty to watch anyway. I for one, was actually looking forward to sitting down with the family on Christmas Day and watching some blood and guts fly in HD.

Post #: 104
RE: DREDD - 20/10/2012 5:19:33 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: manwihtheplan

In hindsight Dredd 3D was a release date cock-up. Having said that, many people did say "September doesn't seem the right month to release this film" and it turned out to be the wrong month! I think early spring would have been better.

Aye, Dredd would have fared much better against The Hunger Games, John Carter and Cabin in the Woods.

Post #: 105
RE: DREDD - 21/10/2012 1:36:39 AM   
Mister Coe

I would have loved to have seen this film at the cinema, I've been waiting for a good JUDGE DREDD movie since I read 2000AD as a kid (I am choosing to forget the Stallone picture...)

But no 2D version anywhere close to where I live?:

Fuck it. I'll get it on BR in a couple of months.

FUCK 3D!!!!!!

Say what now?

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 106
RE: DREDD - 21/10/2012 11:41:06 AM   
manwihtheplan

Deleted post. Please see post below. Thanks.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 21/10/2012 11:48:30 AM >

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 107
RE: DREDD - 21/10/2012 11:45:50 AM   
manwihtheplan

quote:

I would have loved to have seen this film at the cinema, I've been waiting for a good JUDGE DREDD movie since I read 2000AD as a kid (I am choosing to forget the Stallone picture...)

But no 2D version anywhere close to where I live?:

I'll get it on BR in a couple of months.

Your comments illustrate one of the reasons why Dredd 3D didn't do well. The core fanbase of 2000AD - the really passionate fans - would have hunted down a 3D or 2D version. However, it's worth noting British comics don't have large readership. For example: The Dandy is down to 8000 readers a week and going all digital. The paper version is being discontinued.

quote:

The publishers have announced that the final printed edition will be issued on 4 December 2012, the comic's 75th anniversary

There aren't enough 'current' 2000AD readers to have guaranteed Dredd 3D being a reasonable size hit so the film depended on former fans and general film goers actively seeking out the 3D version.

In hindsight it's clear a 'majority 3D release' was a terrible decision and severely damaged Dredd 3D's box office chances. The DVD/Bluray release should attract some new viewers? I guess so.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 21/10/2012 11:58:47 AM >

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 108
RE: DREDD - 21/10/2012 12:44:37 PM   
elab49

I think you've made your point Manwihtheplan (in here and in the review thread). If you wish to stick to repeating a discussion on how well the film did then you can discuss it within the general box office thread in Movie Musings or rest on your laurels from the review thread.

I think it's now time, and fair, to leave this thread to people who want to discuss the actual film.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 109
RE: DREDD - 21/10/2012 3:11:24 PM   
giggity

quote:

It's always been the way with Summer releases. Everything released in the cinema up until the middle-end of August gets released on Blu Ray before Christmas. Anything released Late August and September in the cinema gets released on Blu Ray Boxing Day or January depending on where in September it was released. a January 14th release for Dredd is what I expected.

As for if Dredd was released at the right time, I think the September Post-Summer, Pre-Autumn/Winter slot was a good one. Released in either of those it would have been overshadowed by other big releases, September has always been a place for smaller budget action films or weird, interesting cult films which don't quite fit in with the massive blockbusters and don't quite fit it with award season stuff in the winter. September seemed like the prime place for Dredd, it's just the marketing campaign was absolute bollocks, it's the only reason to blame.

< Message edited by giggity -- 21/10/2012 3:12:49 PM >

Post #: 110
RE: DREDD - 21/10/2012 8:37:43 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

Dredd is a fantastic sci fi action film.One of the best iv seen in years.

My own personal opinion why it didnt do well in the u.s is..

1) The hero didnt have an ''emotional redemptive arc ''.

2) It was an action film for adults with hard core violence so kiddies couldnt see it.

3) No romantic subplot to keep teenage girls from getting bored.

4) No ''comic relief '' character to be a sidekick to the hero.

5) No trendy shakeycam to make the action scenes incomprehensible

6) It didnt have vampires in it.

7) It didnt have Transformers in it.

And dreddhead (sorry, manwiththeplan) this is a favourite films thread.You dont like the film thats fair enough but you are just trolling now.

Yes, you got us pegged, we're all just that stupid. Also, I love that you end all those nice prejudices with accusing someone else of trolling. That's just great.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 111
RE: DREDD - 21/10/2012 8:49:18 PM   
Vadersville

Anyone else think the film would have made an awesome Batman: Arkham Asylum style game?

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 112
RE: DREDD - 21/10/2012 9:41:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

quote:

2) It was an action film for adults with hard core violence so kiddies couldnt see it.

And dreddhead (sorry, manwiththeplan) this is a favourite films thread.You dont like the film thats fair enough but you are just trolling now.

Yes, you got us pegged, we're all just that stupid. Also, I love that you end all those nice prejudices with accusing someone else of trolling. That's just great.

Indeed - it is as if all those amazing action movies that CB loves came from some other country that isn't America.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 113
RE: DREDD - 21/10/2012 9:48:36 PM   
MonsterCat

Dredd didn't perform well in the US because not many people wanted to see it. Simple.

The reasons Cool Breeze listed are specious crap - but then again what else do you expect from him?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 114
RE: DREDD - 21/10/2012 9:52:13 PM   
Vadersville

*Sigh* Why does this thread seem to be constantly derailed...?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 115
RE: DREDD - 22/10/2012 6:57:28 AM   
jobloffski

To cut CB a bit of a break, perhaps the intended meaning was the list of reasons the film bombed is being deliberately provocative to express frustration at the way films can tend to be marketed/categorised, a bit polemically expressed maybe...maybe not, but I tried

Given the shit that people do see/buy it does seem that saturation marketing is the deciding factor over content sometimes, and given the content of dredd, you know what Idea has just popped in my head as the way to market it should have been? Take a leaf out of the muppets promotion book and make parodic references to other films...

Trailer music and editing style from Kill Bill... featuring nothing but people readying, and attempting to...Kill Dredd.

Parody the TPM (Every Legend has a beginning) schtick Feauturing moody shots of Dredd walking around, looked at by Anderson, realtively calm, until Not Every Legend Has a...(Dredd ready's gun) Lawgiver...Then quick sequence of the Lawgiver being fired, with different effects of various ammo. Just enough to give a taste of the carnage, enough to create an 'there's something arch about the content of the film' air.

The Darker Knight

Use of Johnny Cash song about death...(When The Man, comes around).

etc

If you're trying to sell something people are going to be largely unfamiliar with, the quickest and easiest way to get it into people's minds is via things they ARE familiar with.

And for small shits and giggles, bring on a pun...a sequence of shots from the film with intertitles Crime...Fear...Dredd (which is groanworthy, but also intended to make a 'Crime. Fear Dredd' statement of intent.

Such a marketing campaign wouldn't have been ruinously expensive, the net would have done the job to a large degree, to cut down on the cost of placing spots in cinemas/papers/mags/TV. The idea of the 'property' as something deliberately outrageous in its presentation of its Judges v Perps world, etc.

And since this all seems 'brought to you by the benefit of hindsight' I'll just say the 'Crime...Fear...Dredd' suggestion was made by me a hella long time ago when the debate about the film mainly centred on the size of Dredd's helmet.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 116
RE: DREDD - 23/10/2012 12:27:28 AM   
manwihtheplan

Dredd 3Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee is my favourite film with 3D at the end. Well, apart from Jaws 3D and Carry On 3D.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 117
RE: DREDD - 23/10/2012 2:46:02 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Anyone else think the film would have made an awesome Batman: Arkham Asylum style game?

Dredds plot would have made for a great console game adaptation.The game could have had the more far out and outlandish elements of the comic that the films relatively low budget would not allow.

Its a pity the film isnt out on Blu until after xmas but i was expecting that really.January is not too long to wait.Heck,release windows are so tight now that those of us who grew up during the VHS days are really spoiled now.I remember you had to wait for about 8 months for a film to come out on rental after its cinema release and even longer for it to be on '' sell thru ''.

Dredd will hopefully find a much bigger audience on the home market just like Blade Runner,and The Shawshank Redemption.

Post #: 118
RE: DREDD - 23/10/2012 3:05:58 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Thing is Battleship had all the above (bar Vampires!) or was all the things that Dredd wasn't and that tanked in the US, so this list doesn't really make any sense.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 119
RE: DREDD - 23/10/2012 3:06:20 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Oh and Dredd was indeed awesome

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: DREDD Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI