Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DREDD

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: DREDD Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 8:17:21 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: manwihtheplan

This was posted in 2010 - just after the Playlist reviewed the screenplay. So there you go, Sauchieboy. If people thought the plot was weak there's less incentive for people to want to pay to see it. I'm sure you'll say "there are loads of unoriginal films that make money" and you're right, but how many shamelessly copy the action beats of other films?

Posting internet speculation by people who hadn't seen the film proves ... what? None of the user reviews by people on this forum who have seen the film (or actual published critic reviews) seem of the opinion that it was shamelessly ripping off Die Hard or any other film. The worst reviews I can remember reading here thought the film was just alright, but feel free to quote any that echo your complaints regarding the Hans Gruber-yness of the basic plot.

I can't remember comparing the film to others while I was actually watching it, Scott; but when writing about it and trying to describe it to others, I've made made comparisons with films like Predator, Robocop and Saving Private Ryan. That's essentially what the reviewers you've quoted were doing (the Fox one was A RAVE REVIEW!), since it's incredibly difficult to describe anything without making reference to something else it resembles - try describing a nectarine without using the word 'peach'.

Here's a link (i) to a review of the original Taken by Roger Ebert (one of the most influential and respected critics in the world) that compares it to Bond and Bourne. Most people read comparisons like that and reason that, since they liked the films the new feature is being compared to, they might enjoy that film too - and most people haven't been discussing or reading about the film online in the way you have. It'd be interesting if you could find some discussion of actual people talking about why they didn't go see the film.

(i) http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090128/REVIEWS/901289987

(in reply to manwihtheplan)
Post #: 61
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 8:20:10 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Dredd is a fantastic sci fi action film.One of the best iv seen in years.

My own personal opinion why it didnt do well in the u.s is..

1) The hero didnt have an ''emotional redemptive arc ''.

2) It was an action film for adults with hard core violence so kiddies couldnt see it.

3) No romantic subplot to keep teenage girls from getting bored.

4) No ''comic relief '' character to be a sidekick to the hero.

5) No trendy shakeycam to make the action scenes incomprehensible

6) It didnt have vampires in it.

7) It didnt have Transformers in it.

And dreddhead (sorry, manwiththeplan) this is a favourite films thread.You dont like the film thats fair enough but you are just trolling now.

You forgot the key important and true one, truly terrible marketing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 62
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 8:26:03 PM   
Deviation

Oh and competition as well. Another smaller film that weekend had done very well.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 63
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 8:29:01 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Dredd is a fantastic sci fi action film. One of the best I've seen in years. My own personal opinion why it didnt do well in the u.s is..

1) The hero didnt have an ''emotional redemptive arc ''.

2) It was an action film for adults with hard core violence so kiddies couldnt see it.

3) No romantic subplot to keep teenage girls from getting bored.

4) No ''comic relief '' character to be a sidekick to the hero.

5) No trendy shakeycam to make the action scenes incomprehensible

6) It didnt have vampires in it.

7) It didnt have Transformers in it.

Point number one's certainly one of the ways the industry will eventually post-rationalise Dredd's disappointing returns, but I'm not sure I'd subscribe to that. The amoral bastards at the centre of Mad Max II, John Carpenter's films and Clint Eastwood's films usually exited the same way they came in. Point number two's probably part of the explanation, along with the trailer, the memory of the Stallone film, and being sandwiched between Resident Evil and Looper.

No one thing explains why such an entertaining film which was fairly well reviewed failed to find its audience.

Post #: 64
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 10:00:23 PM   
manwihtheplan

quote:

try describing a nectarine without using the word 'peach'.

Round shaped red fruit - looks similar to a red apple.

The problem with you, dear Sauchieboy, is you live in a world of denial. If someone expresses a perfectly reasonable point of view such as

"Dredd 3D felt totally unoriginal"

you will not consider that point of view. You will say "name a film that is original?" or whatever. If you accept the film is totally unoriginal then you can come to terms with it being totally unoriginal. It's only through acceptance that you er.. accept stuff.

It's clear that you are you-know-who but you do not accept it yourself. You are in denial. We all know who you really are. And my name remains Frederick.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 13/10/2012 10:08:32 PM >

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 65
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 10:53:20 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

you live in a world of denial. If someone expresses a perfectly reasonable point of view such as "Dredd 3D felt totally unoriginal" you will not consider that point of view

If you were expressing a personal opinion nobody could argue with you. You've just spent two pages of an otherwise positive thread explaining that the film's disappointing box office was a direct result of everyone else feeling exactly the same way you do.

Post #: 66
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 4:51:17 AM   
Deviation

Most of Dredd was done before (something that can be on almost any action film recently) and it wasn't the point of Dredd to be the ultimate in originality, but the design of the Mega City One was like nothing I've ever seen on the screen.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 14/10/2012 5:01:37 AM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 67
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 10:56:27 AM   
Vadersville

It really saddens me whenever people think its okay to invade a Favourite Films thread and spot hate. So in the nicest possible way, can anyone who didn't like Dredd (which was, quite frankly, awesome) piss off somewhere else!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 68
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 11:19:24 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

It really saddens me whenever people think its okay to invade a Favourite Films thread and spot hate. So in the nicest possible way, can anyone who didn't like Dredd (which was, quite frankly, awesome) piss off somewhere else!

I wish Empire would rename this subform to "film discussion" or something. Because while it is a Favourite Films forum, I don't think it is fair to restrict chat it only praise. Some of the most interesting arguements have been in here, and it would be a shame to lose that.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 14/10/2012 11:21:47 AM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 69
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 12:36:36 PM   
gunstar

quote:

I wish Empire would rename this subform to "film discussion" or something. Because while it is a Favourite Films forum, I don't think it is fair to restrict chat it only praise. Some of the most interesting arguements have been in here, and it would be a shame to lose that.

Spot on.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 70
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 1:14:15 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

But there's a difference between film discussion and just blatant trolling. And shouldn't that sort of stuff be reserved for the Film Review forum anyway?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 71
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 1:19:42 PM   
manwihtheplan

Due to Dredd 3D's universal lack of popularity - it's actually grossed more in the US than outside the US (!) (which kinda proves Lionsgate's marketing wasn't the sole reason for it tanking) - I'm sure this thread wouldn't take too long to disappear down this forum and never be seen again. Any posts keeping it alive should be welcomed. Plus it gives me a good enough excuse to post the same stuff over and over again.

Alex Garland - wanted for crimes against Judge Dredd. If you see him contact your local Judge.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 14/10/2012 1:27:53 PM >

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 72
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 1:23:53 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Due to Dredd 3D's universal lack of popularity - it's actually grossed more in the US than outside the US (!) - I'm sure this thread wouldn't take too long to disappear down this forum and never be seen again. Any posts keeping it alive should be welcomed. Plus it gives me a good enough excuse to post the same stuff over and over again.

Alex Garland - wanted for crimes against Judge Dredd. If you see him contact your local Judge.

Will someone just BAN this troll already!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 73
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 1:25:03 PM   
manwihtheplan

Sauchieboy likes me.

You do know he's John Wagner. High probability it's him. If it's not him it's someone else with strong links to 2000AD. A former employee. Honest, no wind-up.

The 2000AD Citizens Support Network have demanded John Wagner be reinstated as the main Judge Dredd writer. The Network believe only he can save Judge Dredd from crappy post-Day of Chaos storylines.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 14/10/2012 1:28:08 PM >

Post #: 74
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 2:50:36 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

Dredd 3D's actually grossed more in the US than outside the US (!)

Dredd 3D (R) | Total US Gross: $13,049,696 | Worldwide Gross: $31,937,301 |

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/movies/dredd-2012

Those figures are from last week. The financial news on Dredd is bad enough already, Scott; you don't need to make this shite up.

Post #: 75
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 3:00:13 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

But there's a difference between film discussion and just blatant trolling. And shouldn't that sort of stuff be reserved for the Film Review forum anyway?

Yeah indeed - but the Fav Film thread is in the main for older movies, and to allow folks to talk about movies without all the trolling in the review threads.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 76
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 5:36:03 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Due to Dredd 3D's universal lack of popularity - it's actually grossed more in the US than outside the US (!) (which kinda proves Lionsgate's marketing wasn't the sole reason for it tanking) - I'm sure this thread wouldn't take too long to disappear down this forum and never be seen again. Any posts keeping it alive should be welcomed. Plus it gives me a good enough excuse to post the same stuff over and over again.

Or the marketing was part of the reason for it tanking, because marketing between different nations and knowledge of the source material can differ between countries. Also, it grossed more WW, it wasn't an impressive gross though. Lowest R-rating opening in the UK isn't a big award. Also, there's also competition (a certain Resident Evil film) and the other surprisingly good small film nobody had heard about with a few good names on the cast being released in the same week.

Oh and Dredd is gauranted cult.

quote:

He would be given a place as a judge.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 77
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 8:12:41 PM   
manwihtheplan

quote:

Those figures are from last week. The financial news on Dredd is bad enough already, Scott; you don't need to make this shite up

Not making it up, well, not according to Box Office Mojo!

Total Lifetime GrossesDomestic: $13,220,000 56.7%
+ Foreign: $10,100,000 43.3%

= Worldwide: $23,320,000

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dredd.htm

I've no idea where the other 8 million has come from to make it $31 million. I reckon Box Office Mojo is more accurate.

It's extremely unlikely Dredd 3D's budget was $72 million. I don't know where that site got that figure from, probably just made it up! Prior to its release there was not one source from the film mentioning the budget as $72 million. The figure was $45 million (and that could have been exaggerated).

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 14/10/2012 8:14:03 PM >

Post #: 78
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 8:16:51 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

Rgirvan44, this is the guy you're defending? And Mods, come on, sort this out!

Post #: 79
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 8:36:51 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Rgirvan44, this is the guy you're defending? And Mods, come on, sort this out!

Where was I defending him? I just said that Fav Films should be ok for debate (not trolling). That guy is crazy.

I am John Wagner.

Post #: 80
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 8:48:11 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

Those figures are from last week. The financial news on Dredd is bad enough already, Scott; you don't need to make this shite up

Not making it up, well, not according to Box Office Mojo!

Total Lifetime GrossesDomestic: $13,220,000 56.7%
+ Foreign: $10,100,000 43.3%

= Worldwide: $23,320,000

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dredd.htm

I've no idea where the other 8 million has come from to make it $31 million. I reckon Box Office Mojo is more accurate.

It's extremely unlikely Dredd 3D's budget was $72 million. I don't know where that site got that figure from, probably just made it up! Prior to its release there was not one source from the film mentioning the budget as $72 million. The figure was $45 million (and that could have been exaggerated).

BOM tends to be quite inaccurate with smaller films when it comes to WW box office. Also, quite a few films, those that fail or succeed big time, make less money WW then in the States, no matter how many people see them outside. It's why the States is the big deal. This can be Scott Pilgrim Versus the World or The Hunger Games. And it still shows poor marketing and lack of knowledge of the product worldwide.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 14/10/2012 8:52:19 PM >

quote:

quote:

Post #: 81
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 10:44:43 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

Dredd made $7 million dollars at the UK box office alone (i), and it's been released in most of the major markets already - Box Office Mojo is just slow to update.

$72 million is the total budget, including marketing. The production budget was $45 million, but it came in under that figure.Since you trust Mojo so much, you'll see it lists $50 million as the production budget; a rough rule of thumb is that the marketing budget is usually around the same as the production budget. That $72 million total is the amount Dredd has to earn back, and that's why most sites use that figure. I thought you would have welcomed that kind of bad news, Scott.

(i) http://industry.bfi.org.uk/article/18174/UK-Box-Office-5---7-October-2012

Post #: 82
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 10:52:26 PM   
Rgirvan44

I doubt got that big a marketing push to be honest. It depends on how much of this film was sold pre-production - it may have made its money back from selling to distributors around the world as a lot of independent films do.

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 83
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 11:08:13 PM   
giggity

I've seen some critics of the film complain about the lack of satire in Dredd. Did this bother anyone?

Post #: 84
RE: DREDD - 14/10/2012 11:27:21 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

I've seen some critics of the film complain about the lack of satire in Dredd. Did this bother anyone?

Nope - it made up for it in other ways, in particular the world building which felt very smart and had a certain logic to its design.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 85
RE: DREDD - 15/10/2012 12:35:34 AM   
giggity

quote:

quote:

Nope - it made up for it in other ways, in particular the world building which felt very smart and had a certain logic to its design.

Ah okay, Yeah I did like the world of Dredd, So did you not think by not having satire, it goes against the reason Dredd works as a character and In a sense goes against and betrays what the character was created for?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 86
RE: DREDD - 15/10/2012 7:05:22 AM   
sauchieboy

quote:

I doubt got that big a marketing push to be honest. It depends on how much of this film was sold pre-production - it may have made its money back from selling to distributors around the world as a lot of independent films do.

Aye, Dredd made 30 million in presales: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118024155?refCatId=13

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 87
RE: DREDD - 15/10/2012 7:31:26 AM   
sauchieboy

quote:

So did you not think by not having satire, it goes against the reason Dredd works as a character and In a sense goes against and betrays what the character was created for?

The comics are a lot of things, and satire's just one of the many story modes John Wagner's employed in 35 years of weekly publishing. If you read Dredd classics such as The Pit and Total War, you'll struggle to find much satire beyond that which is implicit in the premise of a fascist who thinks he can solve problems with violence.

That's pretty much the level on which the film operates too, I'd say the most subtly satirical moment was in the aftermath of Dredd's hotshot kill, which resolves the hostage situation; a resyk droid comes out to mop up the liquefied remains of the perp, and an announcement plays over the tannoy of the mall "due to circumstances beyond our control, the food court will be closed for thirty minutes". That's the nature of life in MC1 and the philosophy of the judges summed up fairly pithily.

The film's not overtly satirical though, and it doesn't wear its deconstruction of fascism like a clown nose.

It still manages to rip the pish out of action film cliches (the Stallone film, specifically) in the scene where Dredd manages to keep his opponent talking long enough for Anderson to sneak up behind him and shoot him - leading to the same cheesy shot of his body falling away to reveal her standing behind him, gun in hand - exactly the way Diane Lane takes out Joan Chen in the 1995 film.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 88
RE: DREDD - 15/10/2012 7:38:59 AM   
sauchieboy

If satire's your thing, how about a drug that appears to have absolutely no harmful side effects, yet is still illegal?

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 89
RE: DREDD - 15/10/2012 10:49:50 AM   
manwihtheplan

quote:

Dredd made $7 million dollars at the UK box office alone (i), and it's been released in most of the major markets already - Box Office Mojo is just slow to update.

$72 million is the total budget, including marketing. The production budget was $45 million, but it came in under that figure.Since you trust Mojo so much, you'll see it lists $50 million as the production budget; a rough rule of thumb is that the marketing budget is usually around the same as the production budget. That $72 million total is the amount Dredd has to earn back, and that's why most sites use that figure. I thought you would have welcomed that kind of bad news, Scott.

You're assuming the Box Office Mojo site is inaccurate. It may not be inaccurate. I'm sure Box Office Mojo would dispute Box Office.com's stats. I've not read any other sites that mention the film having a total budget of 72 million dollars. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying one site has the 72 million dollars number. My own opinion - and I have no concrete evidence to back me up - is the overall budget is considerably less than 72 million dollars. If the total budget were around that figure I'm sure the scope of the film would be a tad bigger. Even the most ardent fan of Dredd 3D would accept its small scale so it's extremely likely the overall budget is less than $72 mill (taking into account some of that amount would be for marketing).

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: DREDD Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI