Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DREDD

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: DREDD Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DREDD - 20/9/2012 4:02:02 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

As for Dredd, I really hope we get a sequel. The Dredd universe is so rich that the possibilties are endless - Judge Dredd kicking ass on Cursed Earth? Now there's a film I would gladly go pay to see.

Amen to that bro!   Wonder if they'd include any product placement from certain fast food franchises?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 31
RE: DREDD - 20/9/2012 4:05:37 PM   
Happy Shrapnel

I just hope that if they get a bigger budget, they don't get above themselves and fill the movie with overblown crap!
Just stick to the same gritty formula that we loved in this one ! And never ever tone down the violence !
It has to be an 18.

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 32
RE: DREDD - 20/9/2012 6:09:09 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

As for Dredd, I really hope we get a sequel. The Dredd universe is so rich that the possibilties are endless - Judge Dredd kicking ass on Cursed Earth? Now there's a film I would gladly go pay to see.

Amen to that bro!   Wonder if they'd include any product placement from certain fast food franchises?

Lol! I wouldn't bank on it!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 20/9/2012 6:12:24 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 33
RE: DREDD - 24/9/2012 11:28:17 AM   
Cool Breeze

Well it looks like we wont be getting a sequel based on how badly its done in the states so far.Really gutted about this as Dredd is my favourite film of the year and would have loved to see more films set in this universe.

Saw it again last night and enjoyed it even more.Its truly bad ass and a welcome antitode to all the 12 rated fodder we get every year.Even The Expendables 2 chickened out a bit with the lack of f bombs and the liberal use of digital blood ( was still great fun though).

Hope Dredd does better internationally and maybe the dvd/blu will be a huge hit.It deserves to be bigger than 12 rated shite like the Total Recall remake.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 34
RE: DREDD - 24/9/2012 12:02:03 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Drive Angry 3D lost the 3D off the title when it was released on DVD...

And Piranha 3DD is just called Piranha DD......

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 35
RE: DREDD - 24/9/2012 2:27:12 PM   
Sutty

Stallones Judge Dredd was on TV last night. It's a pretty good film. Been a while since I've seen it but I thought it was fun.

Not able to compare it myself yet to the new incarnation because I haven't seen it.

I don't doubt that they are two different animals, and some will be-moan Slys for the simple fact that he takes his helmet off.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 36
RE: DREDD - 24/9/2012 3:53:22 PM   
Deviation

Dredd is awesome. That is all.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 37
RE: DREDD - 24/9/2012 4:57:39 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

Stallones Judge Dredd was on TV last night. It's a pretty good film. Been a while since I've seen it but I thought it was fun.

Not able to compare it myself yet to the new incarnation because I haven't seen it.

I don't doubt that they are two different animals, and some will be-moan Slys for the simple fact that he takes his helmet off.

AND because Rob fucking Schneider is in it.

AND because Stallones performance is awful.

AND because the film is heavily edited to shreds.

AND because the script stinks.

AND because Hershey kisses Dredd.

AND because Dredd 3D is so fucking awesome that it makes Slys version all the more rubbish.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 24/9/2012 4:58:14 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 38
RE: DREDD - 29/9/2012 11:42:19 AM   
ky

Finally got around to watching this on Thursday. What a film! Was even better than I'd expected.

As I'd read a lot about the 'extreme' violence the film apparently featured, I was a little bit anxious even as it started that it might detract from my enjoyment. But I've gotta say, it was much, much tamer than I expected; I actually chuckled (in a good way) at the early "I said, 'hotshot'" scene. Right from the start though, I was absolutely loving it, and I couldn't believe how quickly it went by. I kept checking my watch and feeling a twinge of sadness that it was coming to an end. When it finished, I was very tempted to buy a ticket for the next showing.

Urban's performance was an absolute knockout - he manages to convey so much about the character, and make you understand him, with so little. Thirlby was fantastic, smart, and hot! Great dialogue, great action, brilliant score, and some genuinely beautiful moments (the bath scene and Ma-Ma's fall).

Loved it. More please, Garland/Travis/Urban et al!

"You forgot to say please."

Check out my blog, and feel free to post comments:

http://cinemaguts.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 39
RE: DREDD - 29/9/2012 12:51:18 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: ky

Finally got around to watching this on Thursday. What a film! Was even better than I'd expected.

As I'd read a lot about the 'extreme' violence the film apparently featured, I was a little bit anxious even as it started that it might detract from my enjoyment. But I've gotta say, it was much, much tamer than I expected; I actually chuckled (in a good way) at the early "I said, 'hotshot'" scene. Right from the start though, I was absolutely loving it, and I couldn't believe how quickly it went by. I kept checking my watch and feeling a twinge of sadness that it was coming to an end. When it finished, I was very tempted to buy a ticket for the next showing.

Urban's performance was an absolute knockout - he manages to convey so much about the character, and make you understand him, with so little. Thirlby was fantastic, smart, and hot! Great dialogue, great action, brilliant score, and some genuinely beautiful moments (the bath scene and Ma-Ma's fall).

Loved it. More please, Garland/Travis/Urban et al!

Glad you enjoyed it so much ky.What you wrote there pretty much sums up my feelings on the movie as well.

Doesnt look like wel be getting a sequel unfortunately, but at least we can take solace in the fact that Judge Dredd finally got a proper faithful adaptation that kicked ass!

(in reply to ky)
Post #: 40
RE: DREDD - 29/9/2012 8:09:06 PM   
ky

quote:

Glad you enjoyed it so much ky.What you wrote there pretty much sums up my feelings on the movie as well.

Doesnt look like wel be getting a sequel unfortunately, but at least we can take solace in the fact that Judge Dredd finally got a proper faithful adaptation that kicked ass!

Thanks, mate! I'm glad I did too.

That sucks about not getting a sequel, but yeah - at least us fans have a great film to enjoy.

I still think an animated series would be ideal for Dredd, and the entire 2000AD cast itself. Obviously, each character would need very different styles of animation, but I can't think of a better medium to suit it. An animated Dredd would be able to get around all kinds of budget/casting/tonal issues, and would have much more freedom in terms of the stories it could tell.

I suppose the only real obstacle would be getting people beyond the existing fanbase to watch it.

"You forgot to say please."

Check out my blog, and feel free to post comments:

http://cinemaguts.blogspot.com/

Post #: 41
RE: DREDD - 1/10/2012 11:01:16 PM   
jcthefirst

Yeah, this was pretty awesome.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 42
RE: DREDD - 2/10/2012 9:59:49 AM   
Kazuya

So I saw this a couple of days ago and it was pretty good. I wasn't as impressed as a lot of people seem to be here, but it was solid entertainment. Comparisons to The Raid are obvious, and for me, the Indonesian movie certainly is the better one. Anyway, Dredd has got a lot going for it, percussive sound design, no holds barred on the ultra-violence, a strong performance from Urban beneath helmet and riot gear, fairly good flow and a couple of nice gory shocks. The Slo-Mo effect looks great, but not as great as the makers of the film seem to think it does, at least not to me, but all in all it works. As for the villain, Ma-Ma, I was unconvinced, a dreary, hardly menacing performace from Headey, her character unmemorable. The henchmen of Ma-Ma dragged around by Dredd and Anderson is tiresome as well, although it's satisfying when he handles the Lawgiver. A lot of reviews have commented on the claustrophobic nature of the movie, how it's a shame that it doesn't show more of the Cursed Earth and the Mega-City, and I've gotta agree with that to a certain extent. I like the fact that they made it down and dirty, I admire the approach of taking the gloves off, too bad that that also means a limited budget, and the one-location nature of the thing certainly also has merits. I'd like a sequel, preferably one on a slightly larger scale.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 43
RE: DREDD - 2/10/2012 9:17:18 PM   
Cool Breeze

Of the few criticisms of the film that iv read is the films lack of scope.I find this unfair as the film was low budget for a comic based flick and the single block location was indicative of that.The low budget is the only way this character could be reintroduced properly as it needs to be R rated.

Regardless of the films financial failure at the us box office, Dredd is a welcome hard edged action movie that is becoming all to rare nowadays and kudos to the filmakers for sticking to their guns and not kiddiefying it.

Cant wait for the blu ray!

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 44
RE: DREDD - 3/10/2012 1:03:35 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Regardless of the films financial failure at the us box office, Dredd is a welcome hard edged action movie that is becoming all to rare nowadays and kudos to the filmakers for sticking to their guns and not kiddiefying it.

Yeah I was very, very pleased with that as well. In a perfect world it would have had the budget of Avatar

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 45
RE: DREDD - 10/10/2012 1:01:36 PM   
The Hooded Man

On a whole I thought it was a solid if not quite brilliant action film that harked back to the days of John Carpenter and when action films weren't aimed at kids to make sure advertising opportunities were maximised. if I had a criticism it would be the humour and satire that is prevalent in 2000AD was largely absent as the focus was on making it grim and unrelenting. It did have a feel of a pilot episode, that's not a criticism, in that it was an introduction to this world and in that you have to say well done to the makers. But the scope could have been a little bigger I felt, the budget is similar to District 9 and that looked far better in terms of the world it inhabitated.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 46
RE: DREDD - 12/10/2012 12:16:00 PM   
manwihtheplan

As this thread is in the favourite films section it would be churlish of me to mention I thought this film had a pretty ropey storyline devoid of any real Judge Dredd world imagination (but I'll mention it anyway!). As an action film it was perfectly serviceable but with 35 years of 2000AD Judge backstory to plunder/be inspired by, I expected a bit more than Dredd and Anderson walking through slummy corridors in an attempt to arrest/kill a hooker.

I did enjoy parts of the film but overall - lower budget accepted - it felt like Alex Garland and the rest of the producers had little understanding of the source material. It seemed very obvious their greatest influence was Die Hard and not John Wagner's work. The final act of both films (please hold mouse button and drag cursor over text) has a bomb set to blow up the block, and the main villains die in the same way - this doesn't seem a coincidence. Much of Dredd 3D felt very derivative of other action films and didn't feature enough material from the actual 2000AD Judge Dredd comic strip. The constant real words swearing didn't help make it feel like a true adaptation of the comic strip.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 12/10/2012 12:29:38 PM >

Post #: 47
RE: DREDD - 12/10/2012 7:33:08 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: manwihtheplan
As an action film it was perfectly serviceable but with 35 years of 2000AD Judge backstory to plunder/be inspired by ...

The vast majority of the cinema-going public have never read or are interested in reading a Judge Dredd comic, so the fact that the film doesn't try to cram in everything ever featured in the comics won't bother them (i). The film featured a character called Dredd in a city called MC1, riding a bike, shooting a gun with six different types of ammo, and never ever taking off his helmet; whatever the film's flaws, being unfaithful to the source material isn't one of them. Urban's performance is absolutely spot on, and demonstrates that he and the people who made this film really understand the character and the source material at a fundamental level.

For those unfamiliar with that source material, Dredd was a decent action film that reminded them of other films they'd enjoyed in the past, like Robocop and Die Hard, but which didn't short change them on the severity of the violence or the ensuing gore - like Taken 2 and Ex2 did.

That scene where the clan unleashes a five minute gattling gun barrage, which destroys an entire side of the building (and from which Dredd emerges unbowed and still defiantly bad ass) is the most impressive display of sustained gunfire since the bit in Predator where they clear-cut a section of the Guatemalan jungle using bullets. I only ever saw Predator on video, so the effect of experiencing something like that classic scene on such a scale and at such deafening volume was a visceral, punishing, cathartic physical experience and a complete adrenalin rush - which felt like a long-delayed treat for the version of me that was too young to experience films like that and Dirty Harry at the pictures.

(i) ... and that was one of the things the 1995 film got wrong.

< Message edited by sauchieboy -- 12/10/2012 9:43:03 PM >

(in reply to manwihtheplan)
Post #: 48
RE: DREDD - 12/10/2012 10:46:26 PM   
manwihtheplan

quote:

Urban's performance is absolutely spot on, and demonstrates that he and the people who made this film really understand the character and the source material at a fundamental level.

A film is not merely one guy's performance, a film needs a decent plot or in Dredd 3D's case a plot that distinguishes it from other films. You even compared an action scene to Predator (!) thus proving my point!

quote:

That scene where the clan unleashes a five minute gattling gun barrage, which destroys an entire side of the building (and from which Dredd emerges unbowed and still defiantly bad ass) is the most impressive display of sustained gunfire since the bit in Predator where they clear-cut a section of the Guatemalan jungle using bullets.

The plot of Dredd 3D is Die Hard set in Dredd's world, it's not a 2000AD Judge Dredd strip set in Dredd's world. There is the distinction and IMHO it's one of the reasons why the film failed. There is not one jot of originality, 'Dredd world' specific originality in Garland's screenplay. Everything is taken from other action films and a video game - Max Payne. The first action scene in Dredd 3D - the van chase - copy of the van chase at the start of Robocop. Garland couldn't even come up with a different vehicle!!!!! What about the fact the main villain wants to blow the top levels of the Peach Trees block? Isn't that the same as in Die Hard? Yes. What about the way the villain dies. Isn't that the same death as Hans Gruber? Yes. What about the plot being the hero trapped in block hunted down by gang members. Isn't that the same as Die Hard? Yes. What about slo-mo just being a variation on the slow-motion 'bullet time' from Max Payne video games.

This film is hollow, devoid of originality, has no satire or real wit or even anything clever to say about Judge Dredd's world. It's a one dimensional take on the world with very little to distinguish it from other action films, save Karl Urban's superlative performance as Judge Dredd. But he deserved a better storyline.

Instead of 2000AD fans praising this film as one of the best sci-fi films of the year, can't you see how hollow it is? Perhaps people - people with zero interest in Judge Dredd - might have responded better had the plot been something a bit DIFFERENT? Ya know, a bit unusual, something that required some real imagination and intelligence to write! How does a Judge Dredd film distinguish itself if people think it's like Die Hard or The Raid? It ruins Dredd's unique selling point - the fact this is about a cop patrolling a future city with insane crimes and perps. That is not what Garland gave us. He gave us Dredd Hard.

Dredd 3D was doomed as soon as Rebellion agreed to let DNA hire Garland as the writer. He brought zero originality to Judge Dredd and no-one but a few 2000AD and sci-fi fans were interested enough to see it. No amount of praise from anyone on this site, on IMDB, on 2000AD online will alter the fact - this film is totally devoid of Dredd world imagination/originality. And thank God the film has flopped because there is no way Garland would deliver a decent sequel. He admitted it took him 16 ABORTED attempts to do a Judge Death screenplay.

quote:

"We’ll see a sequel if the gross is above $50 million in the US. It’s a simple financial equation. We’re an independent movie… In terms of Dark Judges, I wrote Death into this script, but it didn’t feel right for the first film. I thought it felt right but after about 16 drafts and it really didn’t work out."

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/08/the-judge-dredd-movie-trilogy-as-loosely-planned-by-writer-alex-garland/

16!!!! There's the proof the guy has no talent for a property like Judge Dredd. You want some no-talent writer like Garland to do a Judge Death sequel when he's admitted he took 16 attempts and still couldn't get it right! No way.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 12/10/2012 11:16:40 PM >

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 49
RE: DREDD - 12/10/2012 11:34:47 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

A film is not merely one guy's performance, a film needs a decent plot,or in Dredd's case a plot that distinguishes it from other films. You even compared an action scene to Predator (!) thus proving my point!

The plot of Dredd 3D is Die Hard set in Dredd's world, it's not a 2000AD Judge Dredd strip set in Dredd's world. There is the distinction and IMHO it's one of the reasons why the film failed. There is not one jot of originality, Dredd world specific originality in Garland's screenplay. Everything is taken from other action films and a video game - Max Payne. The first action scene in Dredd 3D - the van chase - copy of the van chase at the start of Robocop. Garland couldn't even come up with a different vehicle!!!!!

You're right, Scott; no film had ever featured a van chase before Robocop. You have seen films before haven't you, Scott? You've noticed that Dirty Harry and Lethal Weapon both feature scenes where a cop negotiates with a suicidal leaper ... as does the classic Dredd story The Graveyard Shift. Neither John Wagner's Dredd strip nor Lethal Weapon are ripping off Don Siegels film, since they take a superficially similar premise and do very different things with it. And copying a load of story elements from the comics would hardly have made the film original, would it?

Post #: 50
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 1:38:28 AM   
manwihtheplan

Sauchie, slightly off-topic, do you have any idea when John Wagner is returning to write Judge Dredd for 2000AD. I'm having major withdrawal symptoms. The other writers just don't do Dredd properly and it's not feeling right what with Day of Chaos over and all that. Let's face it, without Wagner at the helm Judge Dredd has lost its way. Last week we had the clone son of Kazan back in Judge Dredd. Meh.

As for Dredd 3D, I stand by my comments about the film being unoriginal and derivative. And that van has to go! I hope it's been digitally erased from the Blu-ray/DVD versions!!!!

By the way, have no idea who this Scott chap is. My name is Frederick.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 13/10/2012 1:42:15 AM >

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 51
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 9:40:40 AM   
sauchieboy

quote:

can't you see how hollow it is? Perhaps people - people with zero interest in Judge Dredd - might have responded better had the plot been something a bit DIFFERENT? Ya know, a bit unusual, something that required some real imagination and intelligence to write! How does a Judge Dredd film distinguish itself if people think it's like Die Hard or The Raid? It ruins Dredd's unique selling point

The financial success of Resident Evil and Taken illustrate that unoriginality and stupidity are no impediment to box office success. That's not it; try again.

< Message edited by sauchieboy -- 14/10/2012 12:52:24 PM >

Post #: 52
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 11:59:41 AM   
manwihtheplan

With respect I don't think you're seeing the bigger picture. The two films you mention had successful original films. Taken and Resident Evil 1 were hits so they established a fanbase. If a film establishes a decent size fanbase there's a reasonable chance a sequel can be a success. As we know, the first Judge Dredd film underperformed at the US box office. Front forward 17 years to the reboot - Dredd 3D - and the film makers use elements of Die Hard to create the storyline. This was the kiss of death for the film because:

A) people were reluctant to see a new Judge Dredd film because the original film didn't establish much or any fanbase,

B) the trailer sold the film as Die Hard/The Raid - a generic 'video game type plot' sci-fi film with a hero wearing a helmet.

I've looked at comments from people about why Dredd 3D flopped and some people have written stuff like:

"I went to see Dredd 3D and mentioned it to my friends but they weren't interested. They went to see Looper."

It's very clear Dredd 3D did not interest enough regular film-goers. Why? Well, perhaps there are several reasons, perhaps it's just the cruel hand of fate decreeing Judge Dredd is a doomed film property, however, the plot - Dredd goes up a block - was not individual enough, not distinct enough, not 'wow' enough to make enough people want to see the film. When internet forums and video upload sites are full of comments like "is this film like The Raid, the premise seems like Die Hard" you know this film is in trouble because it's not carving out its own niche within the sci-fi/action genre.

Every successful film needs something to distinguish it from other films in its genre. It can be anything no matter how superficial. Perhaps Resident Evil fans love seeing Milla Jovovich kicking action butt, perhaps Saw fans love seeing people killed in gruesome ways, perhaps Taken fans love seeing Liam Neeson doing his hard man routine, who knows, but there is no doubt any successful film has something distinctive - even if people argue over what that actually is (!) - to make people interested enough to want to pay to see it. I don't believe Dredd 3D does. Sure, the actual character of Judge Dredd is wonderfully distinctive but the trailers didn't manage to convince that to enough people and I don't believe the Die Hard plot made the overall film distinctive. As I've said before - the plot of Dredd 3D is Die Hard set in Dredd's world, it's not a 2000AD Judge Dredd strip set in Dredd's world. In my opinion that was an epic mistake because people will look at the trailer and think "nah, looks a bit like stuff I've seen before, I'll wait till it's on rental."

If the film feels too much like other films there is no incentive for people to pay the more expensive 3D ticket prices to see it. Why should people pay 'more' to see something that feels so unoriginal? DNA Films set out to make a film that had a very similar plot to a 1980s action film, that turned out to have a plot very similar to a modern martial arts film. This was giving Dredd 3D no unique identity and pretty much killed off its box office chances or severely dented its box office chances.

The likes of Sauchieboy can praise Dredd 3D till the end of time, fair enough, but they can never admit one painful truth...

Had Alex Garland adapted a proper Judge Dredd story from 2000AD, not one person on the planet would be comparing Dredd 3D to The Raid/Die Hard/Escape From New York. Can't you see how reviews like this made the film seem totally unoriginal:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/09/19/dredd-3d-is-gritty-love-child-robocop-anddie-hard/

All that review is saying is "this film is totally unoriginal!" The exact quote:

quote:

What ensues is a hyper-violent, completely bad-ass chase film, a gritty love child of “Robocop” and “Die Hard.”

So what makes Dredd 3D unique, individual?

NOTHING. The review praises the film but there's nothing about the film that's fresh. It's just Robocop meets Die Hard. And? Is that it? No Dredd world imagination, satire, invention? Nope. Just Robocop and Die Hard. There you go, that review tells everyone why people had no great desire to see the film. It's just a pastiche of other films. What makes Dredd 3D stand out? Nothing.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 13/10/2012 12:17:57 PM >

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 53
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 12:22:41 PM   
lincoln72

Wouldnt it be cool to do Slaine 2000AD?

hey

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 54
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 2:50:38 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

The two films you mention had successful original films ... there is no doubt any successful film has something distinctive - even if people argue over what that actually is (!) The likes of Sauchieboy can praise Dredd 3D till the end of time, fair enough, but can't you see how reviews like this made the film seem totally unoriginal:

quote:

What ensues is a hyper-violent, completely bad-ass chase film, a gritty love child of “Robocop” and “Die Hard.”

that review tells everyone why people had no great desire to see the film. It's just a pastiche of other films. What makes Dredd 3D stand out? Nothing.

I can't remember praising the film unconditionally, Scott. The aggregate scores vary from around 7 or 8 out of 10, and I'd say that's about right. It does some absolutely extraordinary things particularly well and it manages to do some very basic things less well.

I'm aware that sequels attract viewers who enjoyed their predecessors, Scott; but the original Taken and Resident Evil films weren't original, nor were they particularly satirical or humorous. The Resident Evil franchise deviates greatly from the source material too. The kind of audiences they attracted - and which Dredd needed to attract - don't appear to mind films being assembled from parts of previous films, they don't seem to mind if they're not very funny, not very clever and not making some kind of larger point. Those films did well financially, Dredd didn't.

You mention other well acknowledged possible reasons why Dredd struggled to attract a larger crowd - the Stallone film, the disappointing trailer - and I'd add the R-rating, the promotion of the film in general, and the lack of a big name star - so why do you imagine that throwing in a few fatties with their belly-wheels and cheesy punchlines would have had crowds besieging theatres demanding to be let in, when the film already had so much going against it? Dredd was a niche proposition and a risky venture from the start.

Post #: 55
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 2:53:35 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: lincoln72

Wouldnt it be cool to do Slaine 2000AD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRIPAsbhZpM

(in reply to lincoln72)
Post #: 56
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 3:22:50 PM   
lincoln72

Thanks Sauchie for the clip,i did not know Slaine was made into film.The imagery is amazing ill give it that,just the subtitles would drive me loopy!I wonder if its ebay gettable?

hey

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 57
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 3:31:07 PM   
manwihtheplan

Sauchieboy, I don't think Taken and Resident Evil were promoted/hyped as other action films. Dredd 3D had the Die Hard tag attached early on. People go on about The Raid being like Dredd 3D and vice versa but Judge Dredd 2 was promoted as a sci-fi Die Hard film. I remember the very first internet items about Dredd 3D - and it wasn't called that at the time - referring to it as Blade Runner meets Die Hard. Here is the evidence:

Posted on 7/19/2010

quote:

Firstly, the script -- for better or worse -- earned some comparisons to a couple of fairly big, benchmark action and sci-fi films:
Imagine DIE HARD taking place within the world of BLADE RUNNER; that’s the JUDGE DREDD script offered by Alex Garland. Clocking in at 110 pages, this is not the most complex or plot heavy story. What is offered is a high-octaine, action filled screenplay, that is both hardcore and gritty.
But if the film earns parallels to some big films, the plot sounds fairly generic and video-game level simplistic. It basically sounds like a vertical, amped up version of "16 Blocks"

http://theplaylist.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/details-alex-garlands-judge-dredd.html

I think Dredd 3D was sort of doomed from the start because journalists were eager to compare it to other films.

Alex Garland was more than keen to use action films as his inspiration rather than using a classic John Wagner/Alan Grant Judge Dredd story. As I've said, had he adapted a classic Judge Dredd story - for example: The Hunters Club/Mega Rackets/Graveyard Shift/The Stupid Gun/Sunday Night Fever etc - no-one would be mentioning Die Hard or The Raid. It doesn't matter if Taken or Evil Resident are not that original, I doubt anyone was eager to compare them to other action films but Dredd 3D started out with the plot synopsis - Dredd is trapped in a block - and everyone knew it was a variation of Die Hard. The film never had a chance to have its own unique identity. For over two years Dredd 3D had been compared to Die Hard, to video games, the plot was described as

quote:

fairly generic and video-game level simplistic. It basically sounds like a vertical, amped up version of "16 Blocks":

...so how did that help to make it feel fresh? It didn't.

It's no great surprise the film is unoriginal, lacking any imagination. People were told that back in August 2010! And it was correct. Most 2000AD fans and fans of sci-fi decided to ignore this but it was clear the film had major storyline problems - the main one being the storyline was far too unoriginal.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 13/10/2012 3:38:12 PM >

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 58
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 3:46:19 PM   
manwihtheplan

Sauchie, click this link and scroll down to the post by The Watcher.

http://cgcforum.gpanalysis.com/cgcforum_thread.asp?pagenumber=2&ThreadID=4180171&forumID=4&threadName=It%27s+Blade+Runner+meets+Die+Hard+meets+The+Matrix+meets+16+Blocks%2E%2E+

This is what he wrote:

quote:

Originally Posted By: TheWatcher
A 45M dollar budget for an action driven film? Guess there won't be much CGI in the movie
That's the point of having the movie take place in a building instead of the city. With such a week plot I see the critics ravaging this movie as unimaginative (which is right) and the public at large not giving a flying 'Drokk' about this movie.

This was posted in 2010 - just after the Playlist reviewed the screenplay. So there you go, Sauchieboy. If people thought the plot was weak there's less incentive for people to want to pay to see it. If you start out with a storyline that feels like another action film or feels too unoriginal or uninspired there's no great reason to expect people to come out and watch it. I'm sure you'll say "there are loads of unoriginal films that make money" and you're right, but how many shamelessly copy the action beats of other films? Not many, I reckon. Some might borrow bits here and there but to copy the whole plot structure of another action film, to have the same ending - bomb set to go off on top levels, villain dies falling from great height - seems to highlight how desperately unimaginative Alex Garland is.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 13/10/2012 3:51:03 PM >

Post #: 59
RE: DREDD - 13/10/2012 5:17:30 PM   
Cool Breeze

Dredd is a fantastic sci fi action film.One of the best iv seen in years.

My own personal opinion why it didnt do well in the u.s is..

1) The hero didnt have an ''emotional redemptive arc ''.

2) It was an action film for adults with hard core violence so kiddies couldnt see it.

3) No romantic subplot to keep teenage girls from getting bored.

4) No ''comic relief '' character to be a sidekick to the hero.

5) No trendy shakeycam to make the action scenes incomprehensible

6) It didnt have vampires in it.

7) It didnt have Transformers in it.

And dreddhead (sorry, manwiththeplan) this is a favourite films thread.You dont like the film thats fair enough but you are just trolling now.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: DREDD Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI