Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pacific Rim Will Be 3D - 13/9/2012 8:32:34 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Evangelion 3D anyone? - 13/9/2012 8:32:35 AM   
dannismac11

I can't be the only one who thinks this whole movie feels like an adaptation of the anime/ manga Evangelion?

Even with that said hope this 3D retcon works cuz this looks like its gona be a bitchin movie!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
This is bad for 2 reasons!! - 13/9/2012 8:53:45 AM   
vdjfrancis

Firstly: the film was not shot in 3d, and I have yet to see a convincing post conversion done yet (seen maybe 25 3d films now at the flicks) - so this is really is going against the core visual aesthetic devised by GDT and his team.

Secondly: the studio is having doubts over the budget and scope (and maybe quality?!?! please let it not be for this reason) of this film and are worrying that they will not recoup their investment, so they'll post convert it to add $$$.

Well I for one will not be seeing it in in crappy post 3d - as GDT said him self - the size of these machine compared to the humans, to have that in perspective, in 3d, you would have to be quite far from the screen.

BAD IDEA.

Post #: 3
Del Toro shot it 2D for a reason... - 13/9/2012 9:06:38 AM   
jimizero1

"I didn’t want to make the movie 3D," says Del Toro, "because when you have things that big, the thing that happens naturally is you’re looking at two buildings at 300 feet. If you move, the buildings don’t go like this (moves his hands closer together), there’s no parallax."

"They’re so big that you barely notice anything no matter how fast you’re moving, so to force the 3D effect on robots and monsters that are supposed to be that height, you’re making them miniaturised, you’re making them human-scale. I knew that the 3D effect sounded like a great idea, but it was gonna be counter."

Lets face it - this post conversion is going to look shit - esp if the director isn't interested in it.

Post #: 4
- 13/9/2012 10:20:39 AM   
clarkkent

Ugh. Yet another film I might not be able to see because my local cinemas are too fucking greedy to show it in 2D as well as 3D. Looks like it might be joining the list along with Fright Night and Dredd.

Post #: 5
for China - 13/9/2012 10:38:14 AM   
retrorevival

This article doesn't state that the conversion was made so that WB could market the movie in Asia - Chine for example are only showing American movies in 3D and IMAX so they obviously can't miss that crucial asian market.

Post #: 6
RE: for China - 13/9/2012 10:43:31 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: retrorevival

This article doesn't state that the conversion was made so that WB could market the movie in Asia - Chine for example are only showing American movies in 3D and IMAX so they obviously can't miss that crucial asian market.

Doesn't make it any more acceptable or palatable.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to retrorevival)
Post #: 7
I'm a fan of 3D, but ... - 13/9/2012 10:57:57 AM   
Nicky C

... I'm not a fan of the studio doing this after the director has explained with logic why he doesn't want to use it. Remember GDT was directing the Hobbit, and that's 3D, so he's not doing it out of spite, he just doesn't think it will be any good. I can understand why the studio wants it though if it gets into Asia. A Godzilla/Evangelion-type movie could do phenomenally well over there. So, to play Devil's Advocate for a second, I agree with GDT, but I don't disagree with the studio.

Post #: 8
RE: Pacific Rim Will Be 3D - 13/9/2012 1:12:02 PM   
MonsterCat

Oh, goody, I always wanted to see a Guillermo Del Toro movie with 40 per cent light loss.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 9
Doesn't matter what they do... - 13/9/2012 1:20:10 PM   
Revstar

...I shall still be watching in 2D as that is what the director intended. I also like being able to watch movies in full colour, light and without the annoying encumbrance of a pair of oversized Joe 90's strapped to my face. Please let this godawful stillbirth of 3D be put to rest soon and allow us to go back to enjoying movies the way they should be.

Post #: 10
Oh Bugger - 13/9/2012 4:03:34 PM   
ericcoyle

3D is the largest pair of pants in the playground so this comes as very disappointing, not because I wont see the film (although I certainly wont go to see it in 3D). But I am worried when films like Dredd are only shown in 3D at my local, so the option is taken away. The poor light and blurry detail is the ruination of film, just when digital projection is really taking off and images can be so sharp you could cut yourself on them. The sooner this dies a death the better as far as I am concerned.

Post #: 11
2D fo - 15/9/2012 9:45:36 AM   
marcus_fuller

Post #: 12
2D for me - 15/9/2012 9:49:00 AM   
marcus_fuller

When a film is made with 3d in mind, I'm all for watching it in 3d. But if the director of the film has reasons for wanting to release the film in 2d, then I'd rather see it as he or she intended rather than be distracted by bad 3d.

Post #: 13
Wow... - 20/9/2012 2:25:14 PM   
drew42

Mark Kermode is gonna be pissed off...

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Pacific Rim Will Be 3D Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI