Cinema Ticket Prices

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Cinema Ticket Prices Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cinema Ticket Prices - 12/9/2012 6:42:00 PM   
cinemagary

Is it just me or is it every time you go to the cinema ticket prices are getting more and more expensive, what with different ticket prices for different times and days of the week, premier seats, 3D cinema and IMAX too.

However I fear with the recent takeover of AMC Birmingham to ODEON overnight prices went up,we still have an AMC Cinema in Manchester with affordable prices including AM Cinema where ticket prices are 4 and 5.50 for 3D and even after 12 the tickets are still reasonable.

Post #: 1
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 13/9/2012 7:42:15 PM   
cinemagary

....so nobody here has any thoughts on the increase in ticket prices....does anybody go to the cinema....?

(in reply to cinemagary)
Post #: 2
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 13/9/2012 8:04:56 PM   
Filmfan 2

Yeah, they're getting stupid expensive.

A few years back, I used to go to the flicks 3 times a week, but I can't afford to do that now as prices are sooooooooo expensive. I can see a day where ticket prices are going to creep past 10 for early in the day, mid-week shows (and that's outside of London - no idea what they have to pay currently). There's no obvious reason for it, imo, but if anyone wishes to enlighten me as to why cinema prices are steadily creeping up, please do. I can't imagine inflation counts for too much of it, and the only reason I can think of is that studios want a higher cut of takings due to budgets creeping steadily skywards.

On a related note, I actually had a strange experience when seeing Dredd 3D in Edinburgh at the cineworld. Usually, as most of us know, 3D prices are even more stupidly expensive, but the showing I went to cost the same as a regular 2D film. I don't know if it's because thge film is an 18 certificate, or whether or not cineworld have some kind of new policy regarding price and 3D movies, but I wasn't complaining.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to cinemagary)
Post #: 3
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 12:59:07 AM   
Whistler

Try Australia. $18.50 for a regular ticket, and I paid $30 for IMAX. If there's one reason I'm glad to be coming back to the UK, it's that. It is still expensive there, but if you get a Cineworld card you get unlimited films for 15pm.

(Also, an hour's not very long to wait before getting annoyed that no one responded )

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 4
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 1:33:23 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler
(Also, an hour's not very long to wait before getting annoyed that no one responded )

It was an hour......and a day......

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 5
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 1:41:39 AM   
Whistler

Ah so it was. My bad!

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 6
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 9:23:22 AM   
BudBaxter

The prices have increased in the last few years because cinemas have to pay for their nice shiny new Digital & 3D projectors & automated systems.

It is getting expensive, especially with the extra cost for seeing 3D movies.

My local Odeon has recently started Cheap Tuesdays at 5 a seat all day, which is much closer to what I'm willing to pay. Sadly, if you want to see a 3D movie, there's still an extra 2 per seat plus 1 for the glasses (& another 1.10 if you want a 'premier' seat), which pushes it back up to 'Far too expensive for me, I'll wait for the DVD/Blu' levels unless it's a 'Must See' movie.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 7
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 9:28:49 AM   
Hobbitonlass

If I want to see a film at the Vue Xtreme screen in Westfield White City (which is a stonkingly big screen, not far off IMAX size) and 3D then I have to pay around 14 (tend to favour 2D showings over 3D though).  It is by far the comfiest cinema I have ever been to with the most amount of leg room so I don't complain about the price as much tbh (and I can sometimes pay for tickets using Nectar points)

More often than not I will go to Cineworld as I have an unlimited card and get more than my moneys worth, but as a special treat for certain films I will go to Westfield.  

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 8
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 10:07:13 AM   
Alistair81

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter

My local Odeon has recently started Cheap Tuesdays at 5 a seat all day, which is much closer to what I'm willing to pay.

I love the cheap Tuesdays. I think it is fantastic. The extra cost of 3D doesn't bother me because I'd usually choose to see a film in 2D.

Out of interest though where is your local odeon? There are three near me and only one of them has this deal. I happened to be in one of the cinemas that doesn't on (Orange) Wednesday and asked them why they didn't. Apparently it was the first he'd heard of it. It does seem weird that it is not a deal available at all odeon cinemas. Perhaps it is a trial? Seems to be working because when I have been on a Tuesday the cinema has been rammed. I hope it is something that is here to stay.

Better yet I really wish they'd come up with a monthly ticket like Cineworld because sadly there are no Cineworld cinemas near me.

"The kid's like... he's like a... have you ever seen a drunk baby? "

"Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... fuckin'... Shaft. "

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 9
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 10:19:38 AM   
Filmfan 2

I've circumvented any additional fees for glasses for the 3D films that I happen to have seen as I kept a pair.

(in reply to cinemagary)
Post #: 10
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 10:47:21 AM   
SwozTheRevenge

It's not a particularly high price to pay for approx 2hrs entertainment really

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 11
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 10:53:10 AM   
BudBaxter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair81

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter

My local Odeon has recently started Cheap Tuesdays at 5 a seat all day, which is much closer to what I'm willing to pay.

I love the cheap Tuesdays. I think it is fantastic. The extra cost of 3D doesn't bother me because I'd usually choose to see a film in 2D.

Out of interest though where is your local odeon?

Brighton Odeon. They've been doing it for a couple of months now I think. It's renewed my interest in going to the cinema.

Shame they only had Dredd in 3D, but that's a moan for another thread...

(in reply to Alistair81)
Post #: 12
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 11:04:16 AM   
Alistair81

Yeah, its been going on at the Epsom Odeon for a few months too.

I was grumpy about Dredd showing only in 3D but I've been really looking forward to it so I bit the bullet and it on Orange Wednesday. While I resent having to watch it in 3D (and therefore pay the extra) it was pretty good in places, but there were moments when I thought they'd put such emphasis on the it that it'd look terrible in 2D. Really enjoyed the film though - I hope they follow it up.

"The kid's like... he's like a... have you ever seen a drunk baby? "

"Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... fuckin'... Shaft. "

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 13
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 12:01:06 PM   
sharkboy

We've been pretty lucky over in Northern Ireland as far as cinema prices go.  It's only really Odeon that charges ridiculous prices for tickets.  However, that's really the only UK chain with a presence over here now, which has positive and negative implications.  The negative for me is that nobody offers the monthly scheme any more, which means no more multiple trips per week.  The positive is that it is still possible to get 3D screenings for a fiver at weekends, and even the VIP screens in the Odyssey Cinema (with huge luxury leather recliners, free coffee and unlimited popcorn and soft drink refills) are only about 12.  Most of the local chains do cheap deals on certain days, and some even tie in with local eateries to offer dinner and a movie for around 10-15.

So while I'd certainly get value for money from a Cineworld monthly pass, I'm not sure its worth it if it meant losing the locals

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Alistair81)
Post #: 14
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 12:04:41 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

We've been pretty lucky over in Northern Ireland as far as cinema prices go.  It's only really Odeon that charges ridiculous prices for tickets. 

Was going to say just this. 3 a ticket on certain days at Omniplex cinemas. Bargain.

But I would quite like a monthly ticket scheme to be implemented somewhere.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 12:54:16 PM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

On a related note, I actually had a strange experience when seeing Dredd 3D in Edinburgh at the cineworld. Usually, as most of us know, 3D prices are even more stupidly expensive, but the showing I went to cost the same as a regular 2D film. I don't know if it's because thge film is an 18 certificate, or whether or not cineworld have some kind of new policy regarding price and 3D movies, but I wasn't complaining.

I work in a Cineworld and my only guess is that you went on a Tuesday when the prices are lower? 2D films are 5.50 (at my site, could be different elsewhere) and then 3D films go down to the price of what a 2D film would generally be at peak times.

Really annoys me when customers complain about having to pay 80p for 3D glasses. Its 80p. You buy them once and they're yours to bring back again and again, and yet they moan and me for charging them even though they've "got a draw full of these back home!"

Bring them then!!

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 16
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 1:17:16 PM   
ElephantBoy

I am not sure that outside of experisve parts of London and certain big chain cinemas than cinema prices are any worse now than they have been in the last ten years. There are certain deals floating around. To complain about paying extra for VIP or premier type seats is silly because you have the option to sit somewhere else and pay less, it is not as if you are forced to pay it. The 3D issue is different because if you are going to see a film it should be the same weather you see it in 3D or 2D its the same film after all. Cinema prices are bad yes but it has been that way for awhile now and it is no worse than a lot of other entertainment.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 17
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 1:23:19 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

I am not sure that outside of experisve parts of London and certain big chain cinemas than cinema prices are any worse now than they have been in the last ten years. There are certain deals floating around. To complain about paying extra for VIP or premier type seats is silly because you have the option to sit somewhere else and pay less, it is not as if you are forced to pay it. The 3D issue is different because if you are going to see a film it should be the same weather you see it in 3D or 2D its the same film after all. Cinema prices are bad yes but it has been that way for awhile now and it is no worse than a lot of other entertainment.

I live in one of the lowest paid areas in Britain and a peak time ticket at my nearest Cineworld costs 8.40, or 10.40 for a 3D film (granted it's a few pence cheaper if you book online). 10 years ago I would have paid about a fiver for a ticket, 5.20 at the most so I'd say the bit in bold is absolutely incorrect.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 18
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 1:28:40 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

I live in one of the lowest paid areas in Britain and a peak time ticket at my nearest Cineworld costs 8.40, or 10.40 for a 3D film (granted it's a few pence cheaper if you book online). 10 years ago I would have paid about a fiver for a ticket, 5.20 at the most so I'd say the bit in bold is absolutely incorrect.

Fair point but I do consider Cineworld to one of the bigger chains. Don't get me wrong tickets prices are too much nowadays, but I think on avenge most cinemas will change people about 6.50 which is still cheaper than a lot of other entertainment forms.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 19
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 14/9/2012 3:34:24 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

I work in a Cineworld and my only guess is that you went on a Tuesday when the prices are lower? 2D films are 5.50 (at my site, could be different elsewhere) and then 3D films go down to the price of what a 2D film would generally be at peak times.

No, this was a Wednesday and around 6.30pm.

Just done a comparison and there does seem to be a discrepancy in price still between D and 2D films. How odd.

EDIT: Just realised I had mistakenly held the shift key when typing the 3 of 3D, but I think my mistake actually sums up the 3D movement.

< Message edited by Filmfan 2 -- 14/9/2012 3:35:47 PM >

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 20
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 17/9/2012 10:01:02 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I have the Cineworld Unlimited Card and it's certainly great value for money. You can also get 10% off food and drink with it (thought I usually take my own) and if you go on a Wednesday with an Orange Wednesday code, you get a second ticket for free too.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 21
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 17/9/2012 10:17:39 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

My local in Wigan is 2.95 for 2D and 4.95 for 3D on a Tuesday night

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 22
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 18/9/2012 1:31:26 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Rob C: Mark II!

I remember the days when my local was less than 3 on a Tuesday

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 23
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 18/9/2012 8:40:03 PM   
Mojo

quote:

What cinema is that? I'm sure I've seen your mustache at St Helens Cineworld.

Post #: 24
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 19/9/2012 12:37:11 AM   

Really? Feel free to say hi

I've only really been to St. Helen's the once in the past few months, mainly because Premium Rush was only on there... the one that's cheap on Tuesdays is Empire Cinemas in Wigan

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 25
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 19/9/2012 12:21:00 PM   
grucl

Wait till The Hobbit comes out!

I bet some cinemas will charge extra for the 48fps screenings... (new = better = more expensive)

Post #: 26
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 19/9/2012 8:03:48 PM   
Mojo

quote:

Really? Feel free to say hi

I've only really been to St. Helen's the once in the past few months, mainly because Premium Rush was only on there... the one that's cheap on Tuesdays is Empire Cinemas in Wigan

That's where I saw you, I was watching Premium Rush with the Mrs. I could recognize that face a mile off!

Post #: 27
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 20/9/2012 8:00:08 AM   

Great minds think alike then, more people need to see that film tbh

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 28
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 21/9/2012 10:39:50 AM   
wdruck

Fortunately, there is a solution: http://www.cineworld.co.uk/unlimited/intro?cookieLevel=1111&locale=GB&secure=false&embedded=false&fallback=false&gbLocale=true&isMobileAgent=false

(in reply to cinemagary)
Post #: 29
RE: Cinema Ticket Prices - 21/9/2012 10:26:22 PM   

Also AMC in Manchester are 4 before 12pm... only cost 5.50 to see Dredd, mainly due to compulsory 3D

(in reply to wdruck)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Cinema Ticket Prices Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI