Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Hillsborough panel publishes report.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Hillsborough panel publishes report. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hillsborough panel publishes report. - 13/9/2012 2:47:03 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I'd dearly love the truth to come out about Thatcher's role in exonerating the police at any cost. It's just a shame she's probably too senile to squirm.

To be fair, she probably squirms three times a day when she shits her pants, so it's swings and roundabouts really.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 31
RE: Hillsborough panel publishes report. - 13/9/2012 3:55:50 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Though it's worth remembering I'm talking about people on the internet with the least to say and the loudest voices here, most of whom never went to a game in the '80s and haven't a fucking clue what it was like to be penned in and treated like animals.

To be fair, and I'm not trying starting an argument here, but I stood in Kop ends for most of the 80's, and I'd say there were far more than their fair share of "animals". I've been crushed, trod on, pissed on and elbowed nearly unconscious by 80's "football" hooligans, non-fans who didn't give a shit about the football or the supporters. Even the stewards used to tell us we were taking "our lives in our own hands" queueing up for Leicester's Kop 2 (or 3 depending on the size of the away following)
Multiply that by about 10 and you have the scale of the problem on that tragic day.

There were 'animals' in the Gallowgate end when I was a kid and it's patently obvious that hooliganism was a problem. But penning us into metal cages - which lest we forget, that cunt Thatcher was all for making electric - and giving the police the freedeom to treat all fans (women, children, pensioners) as sub-human troublemakers was just about the worst and most offensive way to deal with the problem. Of course, the government didn't want the problem dealt with, they'd have rather the entire sport was destroyed (even a year after Hillsborough, that little prick Moynihan was dead set on withdrawing England from the World Cup and away internationals altogether) and it took 96 lives for that shameful party to even begin to end it's attack on a section of society it saw as noithing more than lower class scum.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 32
RE: Hillsborough panel publishes report. - 14/9/2012 12:45:49 PM   
sharkboy

I always thought it was Ken Bates who was the main advocate for electrifying the fences?  Though the government's interest would not surprise me in the least.  Certainly, I agree with Jack Straw's comments that Thatcher's government needed, and indeed encouraged, the culture of impunity in the police force as they needed them to be partisan enough to support government actions when necessary.

I spent a lot of time behind the wheel yesterday and the day before as I drove between meetings, and the constant reporting of the findings and stories of the families coming over the airwaves left me in a state of shock, followed by disbelief and anger.  Police response has been disgustingEven this morning, the current South Yorkshire Constabulary ACC in charge of policing football was trying to defend police actions to the father of one of the 96 by claiming that running criminal checks of victims and taking the blood sugar level of children was standard practice, and not an attempt to pervert the course of justice.

There may have been errors before and even during the game, but what has happened since has been at worst criminal and at least grossly negligent.  The sooner the verdicts of accidental death are wiped from the official record, the better.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 33
RE: Hillsborough panel publishes report. - 14/9/2012 2:08:21 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I always thought it was Ken Bates who was the main advocate for electrifying the fences?  Though the government's interest would not surprise me in the least.  Certainly, I agree with Jack Straw's comments that Thatcher's government needed, and indeed encouraged, the culture of impunity in the police force as they needed them to be partisan enough to support government actions when necessary.

Indeed. And no prizes for guessing which local constabulary in particular acted as Thatcher's private army during the miner's strike. Ask anyone who regularly attended away games during the '80s who the most rough-handed, unreasonable set of coppers were and it's a knocking bet the same name wil come up.
I saw that footage of Thatcher visiting the ground the day after it happened earlier and it made me nauseous to think that the main thing on her mind was wondering how best to exonerate her good friends in blue. Presumably a quick chat with the bosses followed by a phonecall to Bernard and Rupert and the creativity of a local MP sorted that one out but as the minutes of that meeting have been lost forever I guess we'll never know...

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 34
RE: Hillsborough panel publishes report. - 14/9/2012 2:23:34 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Oh my dear god. Electrifying the fence? Sounds like something out of a horror story.

Bastards.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 35
RE: Hillsborough panel publishes report. - 14/9/2012 2:59:51 PM   
sharkboy

Hard to believe, but yeah, some people's policy towards footie fans in the 80s was the same as John Hammond's policy towards controlling velociraptors.  And just as equally ill-informed.

The SYC certainly seemed to love their hard-man image in the 80s.  And as horribleives says, they were effectively Thatcher's boot boys during the miners' strike, especially at Orgreave,with mounted police charging the miners (or as Thatcher famously called them, the "enemy within"), fabricating evidence and arresting 95 on trumped-up charges.  This article (clicky) is worth a read, as it shows that the behavior of the SYC at Hillsborough wasn't exactly without precedent.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 36
RE: Hillsborough panel publishes report. - 14/9/2012 3:11:02 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I always thought it was Ken Bates who was the main advocate for electrifying the fences?  Though the government's interest would not surprise me in the least. 

You're right, it was Bates' idea but apparently the Thatcher government gave it serious consideration round about the time of the ID cards controversy.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 37
RE: Hillsborough panel publishes report. - 27/9/2012 9:15:07 AM   
Brundlesflies

Kelvin MacKenzie is now after an apology!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-19727779

Words fail me...oh no, maybe they don't - what a fucking CUNT!

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

Post #: 38
RE: Hillsborough panel publishes report. - 27/9/2012 1:03:12 PM   
elab49

Where's he screwed - apart from being what you say he is - was the reporter who wrote the story (who had the same info) has already described what happened and that Mackenzie went right out to the end of the line of scum all on his ownsome.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 39
RE: Hillsborough panel publishes report. - 27/9/2012 3:52:15 PM   
horribleives

I can't believe he's still trotting out his 'misinformed' line. Anyone with even a passing interest in the case (apart from other nasty tory cunts like Boris Johnson, obviously) has known for decades what The Sun wrote was utter bollocks yet Mackenzie was still banging on about 'the truth' and blaming the fans as recently as 2006 and 2007.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Hillsborough panel publishes report. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI