Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Untouchable - 12/9/2012 11:05:13 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Bah Humbug Empire? - 12/9/2012 11:05:13 AM   
squeezyrider

I went to see this at a preview screening last night and I loved it. It was very funny, and touching in places. Since I saw the film I've read a number of quite snide sounding reviews which seem obsessed by the racial dynamic in the film, black man serves white man, and this seems to account for much of the scorn being heaped on the film. However I see the boundaries being drawn much more obviously along class lines, rich man meets poor man and both become happier as a result of that meeting.

The film makers reason for casting a black man when his real-life counterpart is Algerian being that Omar Sy is funny and they wanted to work with him. Seems fair enough to me.

So Driss likes to dance to disco music while Phillippe listens to classical. I'd say that they've used disco music as an obvious counterpoint to classical, again no more than that.

I think that this is a film that audiences will love and critics will hate which is a shame because anyone already put off by subtitles will find further excuse not to go in reviews like this.

Four stars from me (one lost because a sub plot hinting at a once slightly darker approach to the script is very easily resolved).

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
I second that "Bah Humbug" ! - 18/9/2012 8:51:03 AM   
baloobas

Very well said squeezyrider, I couldn't agree more.
Can't believe the snooty reaction this is getting from the critics.
Total Film actually said "no prizes for guessing which man likes to dance to Earth, Wind And Fire" - eh...I'm guessing it's not the quadriplegic.
Wonderful film, see it if you can.

Post #: 3
I second that "Bah Humbug" ! - 18/9/2012 8:51:07 AM   
baloobas

Very well said squeezyrider, I couldn't agree more.
Can't believe the snooty reaction this is getting from the critics.
Total Film actually said "no prizes for guessing which man likes to dance to Earth, Wind And Fire" - eh...I'm guessing it's not the quadriplegic.
Wonderful film, see it if you can.

Post #: 4
What's untouchable? Empire's funny bone! - 22/9/2012 5:30:42 PM   
Dave Sharma

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but as a film critic you can't misrepresent a movie. There's nothing in Empire's review to alert you to this being a laugh-out-loud comedy, as attested to by me, my companion, and the whole cinema audience when I went to see it. In spite of many serious themes, a smile is on your face throughout - punctuated by chuckles and full on laughter. Perhaps it is a bit predictable, but playing for laughs as opposed to the schmaltz usually associated with this kind of movie is refreshing and original. The only distraction is trying not to think of Dustin Hoffman when watching François Cluzet - please don't cast him in the remake Mr Weinstein! If you fancy leaving a show happier than when you went in, go and see Untouchable.

Post #: 5
And THIS is why I've stopped buying Empire - 28/9/2012 11:23:01 PM   
pablo94

I did a quick google search to see if you'd sorted yourself out but now I know why I don't buy Empire any more. From a magazine that gave Titanic 5 stars then downed it to 4 stars because it hit a backlash, then back up to 5 stars, then down to 4 stars for the 3D re-release was bad enough. Your reviews are not reviews, they're just enticements for the mass public. To give Untouchable 2 stars is a joke. You're seriously going to sit there and give Avatar, which has no story, characterisation or depth to it at all, and The Dark Knight Rises 5 stars, and then give Titanic 4 stars and Untouchable 2 stars?!! Untouchables is a finer film than Avatar could ever hope to be. Your reviews are becoming mundane, boring and so biased it's untrue. It was already a goodbye from me Empire, now it's a certain good riddance.

Post #: 6
- 30/9/2012 1:50:05 PM   
Timmyjay

We are all entitled to our opinion. If you dont like a film then you dont like it and nobody should change his opinion, though i respect that people can change there opinion after a second viewing. I am a mild mannered man, not much grates me, and even if it does i just let it slide. But my flabber has been gasted at what I have just read; Untouchable for me was a heartwarming film with great performances coupled with laugh out and tender moments. I appreciate technical films and there craft, but for this film I didnt care; films like art is emotion and obviously David felt as he did when he saw this which I respect. I left the cinema with moistened eyes and my heart lept with joy and thats art is all about..........how it made you feel. Untouchable in my very humble opinion is Unmissable viewing it made me feel good inside and left me feeling smiling on the outside, Untouchable had the same effect on me as The Artist and Shawshank Redemption and I hold that film in the same category as these great films. David Hughes has a right to that opinion, but surely does everyone at Empire agree to that? Surely when this review was submitted was it not questioned and discussed as a team before it was published? Im really dissappointed at this. Ive been a long admirer of Empire, I have been an avid reader for over 25 years and on occasion I do disagree with your comments, Titanic was never a 5 Star film, Pearl Harbour was never a 3 star film but on the whole Ive agreed with your comments and learnt a lot from the way you report on things, but this is the first time Ive been so upset that Ive had to comment. I respect David's opinion but if Empire as a whole agree with David's comments then I have a real issue with this. Can someone advise how these reviews are processed before being published? I hope I get a comment from this but I fear I wont. I loved Untouchable go and watch it.

Post #: 7
Falling Empire... - 8/10/2012 10:32:27 AM   
kevchenko

Empire reviews have been getting more random over the past few years. It seams that they have given in to the films that make the most money must be the best. Example (I may face backlash here but...)

The avengers: Hugely fun (really enjoyed it and love Joss whedon), not bad performances, decently written and made enough money to buy Greece. Empire review as i recall 4 stars meaning excellent..... mmmm i dont think so. An good film can have the last 40mins as a cgi battle, an excellent one cant, a good film can have Samuel L. Jackson looking awsome as Nick Fury but performing the role in his sleep, an excellent film has great supporting characters that enhance the performance of the leads. You see where im going i hope.

So...Untouchable....Empire 2 stars (Fair)...well i think not im afraid.

Lead roles: Chemistry is wonderful between the two leads, especially Omar Sy (the carer).

Supporting roles: The relatively short time Yvonne and Magalie get is used to its full potential.

Writing: Granted, not the most original idea but the script is brilliant. It takes a lot to make me laugh out loud in a cinema but this film provided a lot of comedy. Emotional scenes aren't overplayed or squeezed for every drop you can get out of the audience. (No spoiler here promise) But one line is all that is required in the entire film to get across that although there are laughs and the healthy minded quadriplegic is relatively happy, in an unexpected moment as his young carer shaves off his beard he simply states "One cut and it could all be over". This one line conveys all the anger and depression that is hugely subtle throughout the film.

Music: Ludovico Einaudi...what more needs to be said. If you dont know his music he is well worth a chance, especially the album Eden Roc.

Overview: When we are bombarded with Bourne 8, Bond 90, Generic superhero origin story 12 and paranormal exorcism 27 in recent years at the movies, it was a genuine pleasure making

Post #: 8
RE: Untouchable - 8/10/2012 3:54:45 PM   
jrewing1000

I have been considering abandoning Empire for a while now due to strange and inconsistent reviews. I have wondered if my tastes have wandered too far from Empire's. this film is more or less a confirmation of this.

How the hell can Empire give this film just 2 stars?? Ridiculous. The Empire review is just lazy and unfair.

If they value such over hyped CG nonsense like Avatar more than this genuinely moving, funny and thought provoking film then that's it for me. I'm clearly no longer (after over 10 years) part of your market base.

I just don't trust the reviews anymore.

Any other film mags worth reading?

Post #: 9
RE: Untouchable - 8/10/2012 4:15:50 PM   
squeezyrider

TotalFilm reviewed this film more or less the same way but with shittier writing so to be honest with you, based on your criteria, no. I don't think there are... shame really. 

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 10
"Sadly, it's also predictable" - 9/10/2012 10:36:57 PM   
Winkelman

.. so, how many stars did Titanic get??????

..this also is a true story!!!!!

I went to the cinema expecting an 'awful' sentimental feelgood movie.. what a got was my movie of the year.

Post #: 11
- 11/10/2012 11:53:54 AM   
kevchenko

I wonder if the reviewer new it was in french? Great Film!

Post #: 12
- 9/4/2013 11:59:26 PM   
philshepp

Great film: funny, moving yet unsentimental, great acting... it never crossed my mind to 'predict' what will happen: just enjoy the ride!

Post #: 13
Gawd help us when the US remake comes out - 5/5/2013 11:23:42 PM   
MIKETHEBIKE2006

Unsentimental, not manipulative and based on a true story with a stand out performance from Sy.
Gawd help us when the US remake comes out.
We thought this film was superb and very funny.
Somewhat confused by the review - still each to their own eh?

Post #: 14
can not believe it - 9/8/2013 6:14:16 PM   
rulookn atme

lone ranger 4 stars untouchable 2 !!!!! hope you like your 30 pieces of silver sell outs scared to upset your pals what a joke

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Untouchable Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI