Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 6:43:07 PM   
Scruffybobby

There's so many to choose from Wiggins, Hoy, Farah, Ennis...

Murray's certainly in with a shout. I'm with those who have always liked the guy. He can be a grumpy bastard sure but so what?

In terms of sheer bloody awesomeness though my vote would go to David Weir.  In the space of 10 days he won three track gold medals and then went on to win a bloody marathon! Just an astonishing achievement.

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to NadaPlissken)
Post #: 31
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 7:11:48 PM   
Peter Griffin

Phil Jones should win it.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 32
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 7:17:46 PM   
boaby

Murray.

Or that Weir mannie. Canna see Usain Bolt winning a marathon.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 33
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 7:19:53 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Luis Suarez for Overseas Sports Personality of the Year?

Lmao. Iniesta may be in with a shout of that actually?

Edit: Scratch that I forgot about Bolt!

< Message edited by Saltire -- 11/9/2012 7:22:42 PM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 34
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 7:31:20 PM   
MovieAddict247

For Lifetime Achievement, I'm thinking there's a chance it could go to Sebastian Coe (for both his personal sporting achievements, and for the 2012 Olympics).

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 35
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 7:39:54 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

For Lifetime Achievement, I'm thinking there's a chance it could go to Sebastian Coe (for both his personal sporting achievements, and for the 2012 Olympics).

Interesting call. How about Ben Ainslie? 4games & 4 golds sounds a lifetime to me

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 36
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 7:43:42 PM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

Interesting call. How about Ben Ainslie? 4games & 4 golds sounds a lifetime to me

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines. This is probably why there should be an Olympic special, Olympians are going to dominate!

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 37
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 7:45:11 PM   
directorscut

Sean St. LEGEND.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 38
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 8:12:01 PM   
BigBadWolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

I'd like that to go to Alex Zanardi

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 39
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 12/9/2012 12:03:27 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigBadWolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

I'd like that to go to Alex Zanardi

For spirit I would definitely back you up on that. I always liked Zanardi, it just shows you what determination can do.

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 40
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 12/9/2012 2:34:26 PM   
Alistair81

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I've been a fan of Murray since day one. His refusal to pander to the media makes him even more endearing to me. I wish more sportsmen would have his attitude rather than have to listen to a stream of tv friendly sound bites polished to within an inch of their life by some PR prick in a shiny suit. I like my sportsmen like Chief's mum likes her men, rough and ready. Plus I've always found his dry sense of humour pretty funny anyway. He's never come across as properly miserable to me.

Still, what a year, to win your first Slam and an Olympic gold and still not be favourite for the award (trivial as it is) is pretty mindblowing. With any luck his Olympic medals will tip the award in his favour but I just can't see it happening.

This. Couldn't agree more. I'm still in a daze after my late night on Monday! The reality is that it will probably go to one of the other Olympians (or Paralympians) and Heaven knows all of the names people have mentioned so far could win it and deservedly so. Whilst I would love for Murray to win it I wouldn't feel it was a travesty if he was beaten by any of the other people being name-dropped so far unlike in previous years *cough* Giggs *cough*

"The kid's like... he's like a... have you ever seen a drunk baby? "

"Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... fuckin'... Shaft. "

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 41
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 13/9/2012 11:48:36 PM   
LEEJGM

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

I'm next to positive LEEJGM was being sarcastic

Wouldn't surprise me as I've missed the boat these past few days.

I'm surprised by your restraint if you thought he was being serious.

Under the same circumstances I probably would have told him to get to fuck with his nonsense

Yes, I was of course being sarcastic.

Post #: 42
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 27/11/2012 9:29:31 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Shortlist

quote:

NICOLA ADAMS
There are few more unforgettable images from the London 2012 Olympics than Adams' golden smile.

The Leeds boxer had battled for years for the right to be recognised and when women's boxing was finally included in the Games she jumped at the chance, flooring Chinese world number one Ren Cancan - who had beaten her in two previous world finals - en route to a hugely popular gold medal win.

BEN AINSLIE
After winning consecutive Olympic golds in Sydney, Athens and Beijing, Ainslie was determined not to disappoint on home water.

His experience paid off as he held off the improving Dane Jonas Hogh-Christensen to win gold again. To cap a stellar year for Ainslie, he also won his sixth Finn World Championships title, pipping compatriot Edward Wright in Falmouth.

JESSICA ENNIS
Ennis shrugged off the huge weight of expectation to charge to heptathlon gold in London, setting the standard with two personal bests on the opening day and ultimately having little trouble holding off silver medallist Lilli Schwarzkopf to take gold.

Ennis wrapped up her victory in style on 'Super Saturday' as she was first to cross the line in the discipline's final event, the 800 metres.

MO FARAH
The 'Mo-Bot' became the celebration dance de rigueur in honour of the extraordinary Farah, who shattered the traditional African dominance of the men's long-distance events by winning Olympic gold in the men's 10,000m.

Despite fears over his energy levels, Farah repeated the feat seven days later when he held off the fast-finishing Dejen Gebremeskel of Ethiopia to win his second gold.

KATHERINE GRAINGER
Few London gold medals were greeted quite so enthusiastically as the rowing one won by Grainger and partner Anna Watkins in the women's double sculls.

Despite six world gold medals in her career, Grainger seemed destined to become the nearly-woman of Olympic sport after consecutive silvers in Sydney, Athens and Beijing. Grainger emphatically put an end to that on home water.

SIR CHRIS HOY
Hoy's two gold medals at the London Olympics lifted him above Sir Steve Redgrave and made him Great Britain's greatest Olympian in terms of gold medals won with a grand total of six.

Hoy, who carried the flag at the opening ceremony, set a new world record in the team sprint then won the Keirin to rewrite the history books.

RORY McILROY
McIlroy firmly established himself as the best golfer in the world in 2012, claiming his second major title when he won the USPGA Championship by a record eight strokes, and playing a crucial role in Europe's extraordinary Ryder Cup victory.

McIlroy finished top of both the European and US money lists, and wrapped up his season by claiming victory in the World Tour Championship in Dubai.

ANDY MURRAY
Murray went from tears to triumph in 2012 as he picked himself up from a heartbreaking Wimbledon final loss to Roger Federer to finally claim Britain's first men's grand slam singles title in 76 years with a thrilling five-set win over Novak Djokovic in the US Open.

In doing so Murray showed a human side which finally won over huge swathes of the population and paved the way for a popular and lucrative future.

For good measure, he won Olympic gold with a revenge victory over Federer at SW19.

ELLIE SIMMONDS
One of Britain's most recognisable Paralympians on account of her heroics in Beijing at the age of just 13, Simmonds did the business again in the pool in London with gold medal wins in the S6 disciplines of the 400m freestyle and 200m individual medley, as well as picking up a plucky silver in the 100m freestyle and a bronze in the 50m freestyle to wrap up another superb show from the teenager.

SARAH STOREY
Storey set the tone for Great Britain's golden Paralympics when she claimed the host nation's first gold medal with victory in cycling's C5 pursuit.

Storey, also a double gold medallist from Beijing, would prove simply unstoppable in London as she went on to claim three more golds in the C4-5 time trial, the C5 road time trial, and the C4-5 road race respectively.

DAVID WEIR
Despite boasting six London Marathon titles and two gold medals from Beijing, Weir went into the London Paralympics still with a relatively low profile.

But he emerged as arguably its brightest star, bursting down the back straight to claim three gold medals on the track in the 5000m, 1500m and 800m before completing an irresistible sweep by winning his fourth and final 2012 title in the men's marathon.

BRADLEY WIGGINS
Wiggins' remarkable year did not stop with the small matter of becoming the first British rider in history to win the Tour de France - and being feted worldwide as one of its most popular victors in the process.

He got back on his bike to play a starring role in the London 2012 opening ceremony, before drawing on his remaining reserves of energy to win gold in the men's time trial.

Decisions, decisions.....

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 43
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 27/11/2012 9:41:38 AM   
matty_b

Murray for me. Getting that monkey off his back is an incredible story.

But you couldn't disagree with any of them to be honest.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 44
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 27/11/2012 10:14:43 AM   
elab49

Is this the first year ever when you've really not got any argument with any of them?

I think a Brit winning a Tennis major is above the Tour de France, so I'd probably say the same. It's just a bummer it happened in the Olympic/Paralympic year so games abogey!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 45
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 27/11/2012 10:22:33 AM   
Rebel scum

That's an outstanding set of nominees. I think Wiggins might just edge it for me. He's the first Brit ever to win a Tour de France, got an Olympic gold as well, and he's a really nice guy to boot. That and his speech at the end of the Tour closed with "Don't get too drunk" which might be the best close to an acceptance speech ever.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 46
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 27/11/2012 10:37:03 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

That's an outstanding set of nominees. I think Wiggins might just edge it for me. He's the first Brit ever to win a Tour de France, got an Olympic gold as well, and he's a really nice guy to boot. That and his speech at the end of the Tour closed with "Don't get too drunk" which might be the best close to an acceptance speech ever.

Got to agree with that although it's a tough tie between Farah and Wiggins. Even Ennis would be close.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 47
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 27/11/2012 11:39:08 AM   
sharkboy

Personally I'd like to see it going to either Ellie Simmonds or David Weir.  In a year that stands out for me as being the one in which the paralympians finally seemed to get equal public recognition and status as their able-bodied colleagues, the symbolism of one of these multiple medal-winning athletes being awarded the SPOTY accolade would be hard to top.  And just look at their achievements - Weir's gold medals ranged from the 800m to the marathon ferchrissakes!  Plus, they've both got an abundance of personality - who could forget Ellie's delight on winning her first medal, or the image of Weir flying towards the finish line having already put in enough effort to burst open his top?

Having said that, it'll probably be Wiggy!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 48
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 27/11/2012 11:42:35 AM   
Russ Whitfield

Ennis, Wiggo or Weir - it's too tough to call!

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 49
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 27/11/2012 11:50:09 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah it's a tough choice this year, there are loads of worthy contenders. Personally I'd find it hard to choose between Ennis, Murray, Farah, Simmonds, Weir, Hoy and Wiggins.

Given how tight it is I'd like Murray to win, he's the winner that would piss most people off and that's good enough reason for me .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 50
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 27/11/2012 11:57:05 AM   
Russ Whitfield

If he had won Wimbledon, he'd be in with a proper shout. If this hadn't been an Olympic year, he'd have for being the first Brit to win a major in twenty million years or whatever it was. But that can't really compete with the Olympians.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

Post #: 51
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 27/11/2012 6:11:14 PM   
Rinc

For doing something that hasn't been done before/or for a long time by a Brit I'd give it to Wiggins, Murray or Farah.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 52
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 9/12/2012 12:46:10 PM   
carleslempner

+1 for Wiggins here!

I love the cinema!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 53
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 18/11/2013 9:50:08 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Quiet year this year for the Sports Personality then

Here are the runners and riders as I see them.
- Andy Murray - won some tennis event in South West London, so could be a dark horse for this
- AP McCoy - 4 000 winners
- Ben Ainslie - alright, it was for the American's but that was one of the best sporting comebacks ever and he'd have my vote
- Chris Froome - another British winner of the Tour de France
- Mo Farah - a track double double

And a few outsiders
- Alastair Cook for the Ashes win
- "Rocket" Ronnie O'Sullivan for his 5th World Title
- Roy Hodson for getting England to the WC in Brazil

(in reply to carleslempner)
Post #: 54
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 18/11/2013 10:53:17 PM   
ElephantBoy

Couldn't give less of a shit about SPOTY if I tried, rather watch the Mecury Music Prize on a constent loop!

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 55
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 19/11/2013 8:02:10 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I think the BBC should just throw it up in the air and see's who catches first.Then,and only then,will we get the true champion.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI