Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 11:11:42 AM   
steffols

After what can only be described as the most amazing Summer of sport that Great Britain has ever witnessed, this award is going to mean so much more this year. In an average year, Andy Murray winning his first Grand Slam would have made him the automatic winner but the sheer amount of personalities that we have met in the world of sport this year means that the competition is going to be hotly contested. Who do you think should get it? Should it be split into categories this year so we can truly celebrate all of the amazing athletes that have enthralled us?

A few names and strong contenders.

Andy Murray - After having everyone on the edge of their seats in that amazing Wimbledon final, the Great British public finally opened their hearts to the normally closed off 25 year old when he broke down in tears in his post-match interview. The public warmed and not even a month later we are witnessing a rematch with Roger Federer on the very same court only with very different results. Andy Murray wins Gold in the mens singles tennis at the Olympics! If that wasn't enough, he has just scored his very first Grand Slam victory at the US Open last night. An incredible year for this young man who in any year would have tied this award up back in July.

Bradley Wiggins - The first British man to win the Tour de France. Enough said. Not only that but he becomes the first man ever to win the TdF and an Olympic Gold in the same year. In personality stakes (and I know a lot of people believe that this is what the award should be based on) - for me, he would win hands down. He perfectly encapsulates the very essence of sportsmanship.

Sir Chris Hoy - Our most decorated Gold medallist. We all had high hopes and I think we all knew that he was never going to disappoint. Hoy along with the entire GB cycling team - both track and road - have made our tiny little country absolutely unbeatable at the sport. An amazing inspirational figure for our younger generations to take up a sport that isn't football. A hero.

I haven't included the Paralympians that should be counted due to being busy, I barely got to watch any of it sadly so hopefully someone can fills us in on their amazing achievements.

Its safe to say that it isn't going to be an easy decision. What do you think? Who should win?

< Message edited by steffols -- 11/9/2012 11:13:53 AM >

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.
Post #: 1
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 11:16:48 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I think it'll be between Mo and Wiggins with Mo Farrah taking it.

I'd like to see Murray win it but I just can't see it happening. I won't be too disappointed if either of the above win it though, especially Mo who provided my 2 best moments of the Olympics.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 11/9/2012 11:19:39 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 2
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 11:25:29 AM   
sharkboy

As well as those mentioned, Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah, Rory McIlroy, David Weir, Sarah Storey, Ellie Simmonds and Sophie Christiansen must all be in the running for a nomination at least.

Personally, I would love to see it going to one of the paralympians - the Weirwolf would be a very worth recipient, and it would be nice to see Sarah Storey's overall medal haul of 11gold, 8 silver and 3 bronze getting some recognition

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 3
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 11:49:19 AM   
Professor Moriarty

As Steffols rightly says, any normal year and Murray takes if for winning a slam.

But, I suspect that most voters will reckon that he could do that again, whereas there will be much less chance of Ennis or Farah winning golds again - even Wiggins may pull off another Tour de France.

So, I'd say its between those two.

And as sharky says there's also still the Ryder Cup to go, which could make things even more interesting.

Usain Bolt for overseas personality must be a shoe-in though.

I think if the BBC were bright they'd do an Olympics / Paralympics special and one for then one for other sports. Too much to cram into one evening.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 11:57:44 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

Personality

Andy Murray

?

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 5
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 12:20:26 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

Personality

Andy Murray

?

That's a bit old hat after his post-Wimbledon interview, isn't it?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 6
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 12:31:53 PM   
Olaf

clearly John Terry is the only reasonable candidate this year.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 7
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 12:45:02 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

clearly John Terry is the only reasonable candidate this year.

Agree.

Wonder if this will be the first time a footballer isn't in the candidates list.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 8
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 12:46:20 PM   
Olaf

Luis Suarez for Overseas Sports Personality of the Year?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 9
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 12:46:23 PM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

Personality

Andy Murray

?

I would say so. I've always liked Murray, I've never understood the apathy surrounding him. He can be a grump, sure, but he has had a lot of pressure to deal with since he was a teenager and I think right now we're seeing the turning point where he uses it to win rather than working against it.

His post-match interview changed things. We seen just how much that final meant to him, much more than I thought it did. I can't watch it without welling up myself, it's just so emotional. Now we know he has emotion and isn't a robot, the public love him, and thats nice to see.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,

Post #: 10
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 12:48:09 PM   
vad3r

Give it all to Michael Phelps. What that man has achieved will never be equalled in Olympic history. It all even took place on our soil.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 11
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 12:52:07 PM   
steffols

quote:

That's going to Usain Bolt, surely?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 12
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 12:53:25 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

but Luis is just so likeable. Like the genetic offspring of Freddie Mercury and one of those bubonic plague rats.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 13
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 12:59:31 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

Sshh, it would break Luis' heart to lose out to a 'negrito'.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 14
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 1:01:31 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

Sshh, it would break Luis' heart to lose out to a 'negrito'.

This is the best post I've read on this forum in about three months. bravo sir.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 15
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 1:32:13 PM   
Harry Lime

I'd venture the following the following eight..

Nicola Adams
Jessica Ennis
Mo Farah
Chris Hoy
Rory McIlroy
Ellie Simmonds
David Wier
Bradley Wiggins

The last two could possibly come from the trio of Kat Grainger, Sarah Storey or Laura Trott - but another one of those may be edged out should Lewis Hamilton snatch the F1 Championship.

< Message edited by Harry Lime -- 11/9/2012 1:33:08 PM >

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 16
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 1:34:38 PM   
Chief

quote:

quote:

quote:

Personality

Andy Murray

?

Nah, years of being a miserable bastard can't be undone by one interview in my eyes. I've never been able to root for him. There's others far more deserving.

Post #: 17
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 1:48:42 PM   
steffols

Ellie Simmonds should have Young Sports Personality Of The Year - I can't think of any other name who deserves it more.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 18
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 2:01:36 PM   
Skiba

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a separate Olympians award. But even then it would be impossible to pick just one. Could a cyclist win it two years in a row? A grandslam, and two Olympic medals, has to have Murray as favourite?

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 19
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 2:06:50 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Personality

Andy Murray

?

Nah, years of being a miserable bastard can't be undone by one interview in my eyes. I've never been able to root for him. There's others far more deserving.

To me I see Andy Murray attitude of someone who just wants to be a Good/Great Tennis player.He doesn't want all this BS of being a great personality or a Marketing Sportsman he just wants to do what he loves.
Now people might think that his attitude rarely resembles someone who 'loves' the Sport he's in,but what we see on the court and in interviews is his own brute aggressive-determination.And even in games he's won I can get a sense of someone who is so intune with perfecting his game that there is a ,somewhat, sense of disappointment in his mind.

But his attitude has changed alittle these past few weeks,what with his positive Wimbledon displays that coincided with a terrific win in the Olympics and now with the brilliant accolade of US Open champion.The monkey-off-his-back of winning a major Open will have lifted his spirits and confidence no-end but when it comes to coming back to the drawing board then I can still see the true Andy Murray coming back,but with more confidence and respect for his ownself,which I think above all else he has been lacking.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 20
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 2:16:38 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I've been a fan of Murray since day one. His refusal to pander to the media makes him even more endearing to me. I wish more sportsmen would have his attitude rather than have to listen to a stream of tv friendly sound bites polished to within an inch of their life by some PR prick in a shiny suit. I like my sportsmen like Chief's mum likes her men, rough and ready. Plus I've always found his dry sense of humour pretty funny anyway. He's never come across as properly miserable to me.

Still, what a year, to win your first Slam and an Olympic gold and still not be favourite for the award (trivial as it is) is pretty mindblowing. With any luck his Olympic medals will tip the award in his favour but I just can't see it happening. I reckon Mo is a shoo-in for it.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 21
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 2:22:37 PM   
jonson

I should think it will be an Olympian, probably Mo Farah but I'm hoping it's Jessica Ennis. She was the poster girl, she had more pressure on her than any other sportsperson, she trounced the opposition and everyone loves her. That and the fact we haven't had a female win it since 2006.
I'd like to see Ben Ainsley on the list though.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 22
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 3:04:48 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Doesn't Ennis have a stand named after her at Bramall Lane.

After that, surely any form of award or recognition pales into insignificance

I bet Bob's been in the Ennis End

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 23
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 3:05:37 PM   
LEEJGM

How about team of the year? Manchester City (Football), England (Football) or Team GB (Olympics/Paralympics). That's a tough one...

This has to be the hardest one to call ever. Has GB ever had a better sporting year? I think Wiggins will win it but I really have no idea who I would choose personally. If they nominated 30 and gave it to 10 people equally I'd still struggle to choose.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 24
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 3:34:51 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: LEEJGM

How about team of the year? Manchester City (Football), England (Football) or Team GB (Olympics/Paralympics). That's a tough one...

This has to be the hardest one to call ever. Has GB ever had a better sporting year? I think Wiggins will win it but I really have no idea who I would choose personally. If they nominated 30 and gave it to 10 people equally I'd still struggle to choose.

Nope,its an easy one

Manchester City: no disrespect but you can pump money into any team in England and you'll be competitive ie you can bring in the best players,best coaches and so fourth.
Now don't get me wrong what they have achieved in the past two seasons has been very good but its not unexpected and you/they are working in a Sport that,generally, favors the financial teams than that of the not-so wealthy clubs.

England (football) : Although I'm really positive about England under Hodgson and the fact we finally look to be heading in the right direction,both on and off the pitch,the standards of which the England squad set in the Euro's (interms of succuss) pales in-comparison to what the Olympic squad achieved.

Olympic/Paralympic Squad: Just out-right front-runners in my opinion.29 in Gold,17 in Silver,19 in Bronze equals to 65 Medals in the Olympic sqaud and in the Paralympic GB squad we had 34 in Gold,43 in Silver and 43 in Bronze equaling in an amazing 120 Medals.
No contest.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 11/9/2012 3:36:05 PM >

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 25
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 3:44:24 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I'm next to positive LEEJGM was being sarcastic

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 26
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 3:47:38 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Wouldn't surprise me as I've missed the boat these past few days.

Post #: 27
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 3:52:20 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Wouldn't surprise me as I've missed the boat these past few days.

I'm surprised by your restraint if you thought he was being serious.

Under the same circumstances I probably would have told him to get to fuck with his nonsense

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 28
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 4:42:05 PM   
Qwerty Norris

In any other year; the likes of Hoy, Wiggins, Ennis, Farah, Weir or Murray would have ran away with it.

But yeah, this hasn't been an average one.

Any of the above 6 would fully deserve it.

quote:

And I completely resent this media savvy bullshit...

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 11/9/2012 4:44:15 PM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 29
RE: Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? - 11/9/2012 6:24:50 PM   
NadaPlissken

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Personality

Andy Murray

?

I appreciate that a sports star needs to connect with the audience, but I do find it a bit sad that to many Murray will be judged on his ability to give interviews rather than play tennis.

Ross Kemp invented Spain.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Sports Personality Of The Year - Who should it be? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI