Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Anyone Used Geek Squad in the UK?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Anyone Used Geek Squad in the UK? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone Used Geek Squad in the UK? - 11/9/2012 10:10:34 AM   
TwistedAnimator

Hi guys, I've got a serious problem with my PC.
It fires up like a jet engine, then coughs, splutters and dies when trying to boot up.
I think it's because I overclocked it a while back and the cooling gel has turned to concrete.
Either way, I can't afford a new one at the same spec right now.

I had a bad experience with PC World last year and don't want to take it back there.
I've found a Geek Squad in my local Car Phone Warehouse.
But I'm not sure about taking my PC there, because Car Phone Warehouse probably only knows about phones right?

Anyway, I hear that Geek Squad are pretty big in the US, but can someone tell me if they've used them in the UK and if they're any good over here?

Cheers
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone Used Geek Squad in the UK? - 11/9/2012 7:24:06 PM   
Chief Wiggum

not tried them before, but I would expect it to be pretty expensive...

first off, undo the overclocking - if it's entering thermal shutdown being overclocked is not going to help.

I would try a couple of basic fixes to start with - get a can of compressed air, open the box and get as much of the dust out as possible.

see if that resolves things, if not you could try reapplying the thermal paste - you can pick it up from maplins fairly cheaply - pry the heatsink off the cpu and put a small (grain of rice sized) bit on the chip then put the heatsink back on.

mind you if it doesn't boot - does it blue screen or has something else failed - try booting into safemode, should be a verbose method (shows lots of text while starting up) try and record the screen with a camcorder (or mobile) it'll show you the last thing it tried to load before it failed.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to TwistedAnimator)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Anyone Used Geek Squad in the UK? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI