Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

A Question About Jeff Smith's Bone

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> A Question About Jeff Smith's Bone Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Question About Jeff Smith's Bone - 10/9/2012 11:29:21 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I'd really like some advice by fellow Comic Shackers on what version of Bone to buy.

Amazon are sellling the 'one volume' edition, in original black and white for 20.00; it collects all the issues/ volumes of the series. However some of the reviews i've read have said that the paper quality is very bad. It's very thin so much so you can see see through the pages! This has made me a bit apprehensive about buying it. The price is very good though;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/188896314X/ref=mp_s_a_1?pi=SL75&qid=1347272777&sr=8-1

There's also the 9 volume, colourized version released by Harper Collins in the UK. I read one of said volumes and the quality of the book is very good. Oh did I mention it's in colour too. Only problem with that it will cost a lot more to collect all of them, and I can't read it in one go as i'd have to buy them a couple of volumes a go.

Bone purists prefer the original black and white, however the quality of the paper has put me off.

There's also a one volume coloured version, again collecting all the series in one paperback in colour, but its a bit pricey, 84 roughly on Amazon - lets say thats way out of my budget!

i'd really love any word by you guys on which version I should buy. Should I get the black and white 'one volume'? Or the individual colour versions? I can't make up my mind and would love to hear some input from you guys (those that have read or own Bone of course).

Cheers.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/
Post #: 1
RE: A Question About Jeff Smith's Bone - 10/9/2012 8:05:46 PM   
furrybastard

I have the one volume black and white version and loved it. The pages are very thin but it really wasn't a bother. I definitely couldn't see through them like those complaints you mention, not sure how that would happen unless you were reading it while holding each individual page separately from the one underneath (!?). It's been a few years since I've read it now but that one volume edition is fantastic value.

Never saw or read the colour versions so I couldn't tell you how they compare.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 2
RE: A Question About Jeff Smith's Bone - 10/9/2012 8:44:12 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

I have the one volume black and white version and loved it. The pages are very thin but it really wasn't a bother. I definitely couldn't see through them like those complaints you mention, not sure how that would happen unless you were reading it while holding each individual page separately from the one underneath (!?). It's been a few years since I've read it now but that one volume edition is fantastic value.

Never saw or read the colour versions so I couldn't tell you how they compare.

Thanks for that piece of info furry! I think i'll go for the 'one volume' edition, and its a very good price too if your on a budget. The colour versions are quite good (the UK versions are published by Harper Collins, I think Scholastic released them in colour in the States).

But I was looking if The Book Depository had all the nine colour volumes for sale, and they sadly didn't. A couple are missing and i've a feeling if I start collecting them i'll be in for a big headache! Same went for Amazon, so the black and white version it shall be!

Cheers!

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 3
RE: A Question About Jeff Smith's Bone - 11/9/2012 7:24:25 AM   
sanchia

I agree the one volume Black and White version is very good (although a hefty thing and you have to be careful with the spine). I tend to get cynical about later released colourised versions. It is much the same with Boneyard which I think is actually better in monochrome.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 4
RE: A Question About Jeff Smith's Bone - 11/9/2012 9:20:46 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I agree the one volume Black and White version is very good (although a hefty thing and you have to be careful with the spine). I tend to get cynical about later released colourised versions. It is much the same with Boneyard which I think is actually better in monochrome.

Yeah, i'll have to be extra careful with it! I treat most of my comics with a lot of love so i'm certain Bone'll get the same treatment! The colour versions are good, but I can see how fans would prefer the original work, how Jeff Smith had envisioned it.

Once again thanks for your input guys! Much appreciated.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> A Question About Jeff Smith's Bone Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI