Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 8/9/2012 11:19:16 AM   
Edward Nygma

So I recently started a sci-fi spoof blog, wethemindthinkers.wordpress.com (which I'm shamelessly plugging right now), and I got to thinkin':

Any sci-fi novels you would personally recommend? Personally a big Philip K. Dick fan so I'd recommend the likes of Ubik and Time Out Of Joint. Among others.
Post #: 1
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 12/9/2012 6:47:57 PM   
Le Tenia

More Than Human - Theodore Sturgeon
2001 A Space Odyssey - Arthur C Clarke
2010 Odyssey 2 - Arthur C Clarke

" It's the age-old irony of the liberal left, they practice oppression and call it equality. "

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 2
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 13/9/2012 7:52:55 PM   
crimond

Flood and ark by Stephen Baxter

(in reply to Le Tenia)
Post #: 3
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 14/9/2012 10:21:40 PM   
scary_ice

I have only recently started reading more Sci-Fi as theres so many books I still havent got around to.

I have read Dick's The Man In The High Castle which I found a bit of a struggle at times but overall very good.

Also Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination which was a great action packed adventure although not quite as amazing as it was hyped up to be I thought. Then again if I didn't know of its reputation before I read it I may not have had such high expectations for it.

As far as modern authors go I read my first China Mieville novel - The City and The City, which I thoroughly enjoyed and would strongly recommend. Its kind of a cross between a detective novel and a science-fiction novel. Its not "hard" sf ,it just relies on a really clever idea which I thought was brilliantly developed all the way through. I believe its quite different from his usual stuff but I will definitely be checking out some more of his stuff.

(in reply to crimond)
Post #: 4
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 14/9/2012 10:54:13 PM   
sharkboy

You'll find a few good recommendations in this thread: http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=704257&mpage=1&key=sci-fi&NID=0#714638

Or this one: http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=29883&mpage=1&key=sci-fi&NID=0#232656

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 14/9/2012 10:57:32 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 5
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 26/9/2012 1:49:53 AM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=29883&mpage=1&key=sci-fi&NID=0#232656

I know what you mean about The Man In The High Castle. It takes some time to get into it but once you do, it's great.

Thanks for the recommendations guys :)

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 6
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 26/9/2012 12:28:27 PM   
hozay

Asimov's Foundation series and Rendezvous With Rama are wonderful books.
William Gibson's Virtual Light is a great read.
Ursula K. Le Guin's Left Hand Of Darkness and City Of Illusions are both well worth a look.
Short story collections by J.G. Ballard, Harry Harrison or Ray Bradbury are worth tracking down.
M. John Harrison's Light.
Anything by E.E. Doc Smith

One of my most favourite books may be a little obscure and hard to find but I'll add it anyway,
Barnacle Bill The Spacer and Other Stories by Lucius Shepard.

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 7
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 16/10/2012 10:02:29 PM   
Drone

Spares and Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith.

One of the most promising sci-fi authors of our time in my humble opinion... who suddenly decided to write crime novels as Michael Marshall, and never revisit the genre again; despite composing those two stupendously hilarious and conceptually brilliant pieces of fiction.

Apparently Spares was snapped up by Hollywood so the rumour goes, by Spielberg no less.

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 8
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 17/10/2012 10:17:53 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drone

Apparently Spares was snapped up by Hollywood so the rumour goes, by Spielberg no less.

It was.  Spielberg is reported to have loved the concept.  Then along came the travesty that was The Island, and Spares was consigned to the "too many plot similarities, do not film" bin.

Only Forward is a masterpiece, a truly original piece of work.  One Of Us is also worth checking out, and he does a great line in short stories too.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 9
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 17/10/2012 1:21:32 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drone

It was.  Spielberg is reported to have loved the concept.  Then along came the travesty that was The Island, and Spares was consigned to the "too many plot similarities, do not film" bin.

Only Forward is a masterpiece, a truly original piece of work.  One Of Us is also worth checking out, and he does a great line in short stories too.

Just finished Only Forward and started One of Us today. Spares is one of my all time favourite reads.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 17/10/2012 9:21:31 PM   
Drone

One of Us was ok; it didn't quite grab me like Spares or Only Forward. What You Make It was pretty good as well, I don't normally go for short stories but he'd instantly became my favourite author on the back of Spares so I had to check it out.

I bought Spares on a whim one day when I was looking for something decent to read, and I honestly thought I had found an author I would follow for the rest of my life. Then he seemed to develop a passion for (admittedly inventive) crime fiction, which is my opinion is significantly weaker than his earlier work. Seems like such a strange, total shift for him, to completely abandon science fiction after the strength of his first few novels.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 11
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 1/12/2012 7:20:44 PM   
endjinnoil

Iain M Banks "Culture" series of tales are a favourite of mine. He manages to build a truly astounding universe which is based on technology that feels credible, and even probable, yet still fantastical. The Player of Games or Consider Phlebas are good places to start.

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 12
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 3/3/2013 9:54:47 AM   
moontheloon

Anything by Kurt Vonnegut, Cats Cradle and Timequake are probably my two favourites, but I love most of what he writes anyway.

Also JG Ballard has some Sci Fi Elements to what he writes and he is also fantastic.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to endjinnoil)
Post #: 13
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 4/3/2013 5:27:30 PM   
AxlReznor

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 14
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 7/3/2013 1:15:28 PM   
The Hooded Man

1984 by George Orwell

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 15
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 31/3/2013 7:15:50 AM   
chilipenguin

The Forever War - Joe Haldeman. The evolution of war over hundreds of years - it is a cracking read.

Like others have said, Asimov's Foundation series is required reading when it comes to SciFi, and you should also check out the I, Robot, collection.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 16
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 25/7/2013 6:39:45 PM   
oscarthegrouch

just re-read the forever war, definitely a cracking read, thoroughly enjoyed it.

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 17
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 1/8/2013 7:55:13 PM   
AwesomeTrilogies

IMHO The best sci-fi novel is 'DUNE'
I've read it several times and will read it again. LOVE IT!

www.AwesomeTrilogies.com

(in reply to oscarthegrouch)
Post #: 18
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 2/8/2013 9:42:29 PM   
Le Tenia

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury is the best science fiction novel I have read. Going to give that Forever War a go though. Sounds right up my street that does..

" It's the age-old irony of the liberal left, they practice oppression and call it equality. "

(in reply to AwesomeTrilogies)
Post #: 19
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 8/8/2013 9:15:52 PM   
JV

Another vote here for Ursula Le Guin's Left Hand Of Darkness. Absolutely cracking read and I'd recommend just about any of her work if you like scifi with a hefty dose of anthropology.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to Le Tenia)
Post #: 20
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 15/9/2013 2:55:42 PM   
Stillwater

I'll second the Ursula LeGuin votes, The Lathe of Heaven is my favourite. Asimovs Foundation Series and also Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.

Forum Innuendo Champion 2009

"great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love..."

" There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries "

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 21
RE: Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel - 24/10/2013 1:40:30 PM   
StaceyB

quote:

ORIGINAL: crimond

Flood and ark by Stephen Baxter

My other half's read Flood and Ark. I will get round to them next year....

Air (Geoff Ryman) is worth a read :)

(in reply to crimond)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Recommend a Sci-Fi Novel Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI