Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: WTF?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: WTF? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WTF? - 10/10/2012 7:39:51 PM   
Hood_Man

Just had a random thought, when they send these victims back in time why not just drop them into a volcano and cut out the middle man entirely?

I love time travel films, even if only for these questions

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 91
RE: WTF? - 10/10/2012 10:36:10 PM   
shool

Or why not kill them first and then just send the body back in time.

Bloody excellent film though. Loved it. 4 stars for me.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 92
RE: Looper - 10/10/2012 10:44:54 PM   
MonsterCat

I have to be honest, I don't see cinemas allowing people to bring in MP3 players so they can listen to a commentary track.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 93
RE: WTF? - 10/10/2012 10:58:21 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

To be honest I assumed that these implanted tracking devices had health monitors in them, like a simple heart monitor for example. Heart stops, tracking device activates, authorities are alerted.

It seems too specific to me for someone to be captured alive and sent back in time for murdering when, as you say, they could just be murdered right there and sent back for disposal. Especially when so much care and attention has been given to other details in the story.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 94
RE: WTF? - 10/10/2012 11:02:27 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

To be honest I assumed that these implanted tracking devices had health monitors in them, like a simple heart monitor for example. Heart stops, tracking device activates, authorities are alerted.

It seems too specific to me for someone to be captured alive and sent back in time for murdering when, as you say, they could just be murdered right there and sent back for disposal. Especially when so much care and attention has been given to other details in the story.

Thats a damn fine explanation. I'm going to roll with that.

Wonder what they did with Joes wife though? Unless the rainmaker was so powerful that he could kill people and not worry about the consequences

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 95
RE: WTF? - 10/10/2012 11:08:30 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

Thats a damn fine explanation. I'm going to roll with that.

Wonder what they did with Joes wife though? Unless the rainmaker was so powerful that he could kill people and not worry about the consequences

I like to think they just got in trouble

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 96
RE: WTF? - 10/10/2012 11:10:35 PM   
shool

Yeah makes you cross-eyed to think about stuff too much.

Bloody great though. Glad I watched this instead of sulking in my hotel room.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 97
RE: WTF? - 15/10/2012 11:34:52 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

SPOILERS ENDING

OK what did not sit well with me was ... how is the rain maker evil?

All we know of him is that in the future he closes the loops. Illegal loops set up by criminals who are sending people back in time to die. The rain maker is basically offing killers. Stopping a criminal process. Sure his goons have caused collateral damage. But alas what else has he done?Taken over all of the organised time and stopped looping. We never find out to what end. He hasnt ruled the world with an iron fist. This isnt judgement day. It isnt the dying world or Kyropton. Hell the future looked better than the present ...

What made Joe think him having a nicer childhood would achieve? Maybe he hasnt closed a loop at all ... well in the sense that he thinks. Maybe his experience as a child of loopers would drive him to get rid of them? Thats just rambling ... but my first point ... anyone?

SPOILERS ... obviously given the question

It was my understanding that he used his super-telekinesis to become the world's biggest crime lord.

We don't see any real affect of this in the film. Though I guess that scene with the earthquake clip or something was him?!

quote:

Closing all the Loops was just one thing he did in the process, and he did it because with his abilities there was no need for them. He's essentially a one of a kind super villain who no one can stop. He's stopping A criminal process because he has his own far more efficient process. I got the impression that he pretty much took over the criminal world out of nowhere and proceeded to control it with an iron fist.

This is my point ... he's offing criminals ... cowardly loopers or whatever. That's one part of the film I actually enjoyed. Bruce Willis kicking the crap out of everyone. Made sense as in the coming years he actually appears to become a real hit man. Compared to the short sighted chumps who murder people tied up in bondage. I just didn't care about the fact that these gangs were being stopped by the rain maker in the future. They were idiots and I just thought good riddance.

If I'd actually seen innocent people actually affected by the rainmaker. A bleak future ravaged by his wars etc I'd have bough into the ending much more.

quote:

Joe saw his future self about to kill the Rainmaker's mother and knew it would set the kid on the path to become the Rainmaker, so he killed himself and prevented her death. We saw how she could calm him and have a positive effect on him so we are led to believe that with her still alive he may not become a criminal overlord.

I got all that but ... yeah as stated this grand revelation just didn't sit well with me.

quote:

The real question is how he became Rainmaker in the original timeline without future Joe to kill his mother, but that's all timey-wimey and confusing so probably best to ignore it

He'd already been freaked out by his aunts death. Anything could have happened after that. Which again is my issue with the film ... him killing himself doesn't guarantee the rainmakers future. Pretty arrogant to think that one act would set him on a righteous path.

I just found the whole thing needlessly ambiguous. So many plot holes the whole premise just seemed lazy after awhile. Your just left with nothing but questions. It started with an interesting premise and the first half was kind of enjoyable. But the climax didn't deliver for me.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 98
RE: WTF? - 16/10/2012 11:05:08 AM   
szoni

I felt important to indicate that I liked this review. Kim Newman didn't just give us background information, but also thought about the whole feature film. Keep thinking and do not stop genuine analysis. Truly, I f***ing don't care how many stars have been given, cause that's not the point. It's simply an indicator not to be taken for granted.

Good film, not perfect or robust - if I can say it in that way -, plot and ground of story are intriguing but at once constrained.
As for me, I didn't like Willis very much here, JGL is OK, but not fully impressive as a rural hitman,
I insist that it is not the sci-fi/time travel side which is strong or dominant, rather it's bad carma approach. In a certain sense it's a classic type.

"Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one"

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 99
RE: WTF? - 17/10/2012 10:37:49 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Really really enjoyed it. Johnson was clearly having a blast in fusing genres and it worked for me. Some downsides, I would have liked a little more from Daniels character (he never leaves his room) and his exit seems a little tame. Some shonky action sequences at times but I thought the Blunderbuss was a lovely touch.

Great soundtrack, brilliant performance from JGL and Emily Blunt. Note: She is chopping down the stump to relieve boredom and tension not because she doesn't have a chainsaw!

The kid was immense, wonderful performance. Willis was in good form but at times he didn't have much to contribute, which I suppose makes sense as it's Joe/JGL's story.

Plus like all the best time travel movies it made my brain hurt a little.

4/5

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to szoni)
Post #: 100
RE: WTF? - 18/10/2012 11:42:56 AM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

Really really enjoyed it. Johnson was clearly having a blast in fusing genres and it worked for me. Some downsides, I would have liked a little more from Daniels character (he never leaves his room) and his exit seems a little tame. Some shonky action sequences at times but I thought the Blunderbuss was a lovely touch.

Great soundtrack, brilliant performance from JGL and Emily Blunt. Note: She is chopping down the stump to relieve boredom and tension not because she doesn't have a chainsaw!

The kid was immense, wonderful performance. Willis was in good form but at times he didn't have much to contribute, which I suppose makes sense as it's Joe/JGL's story.

4/5

I've heard a lot of people giving out about the kid. I thought he was one of the best child actors I've seen in a while.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 101
RE: WTF? - 18/10/2012 11:43:57 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

4/5

I've heard a lot of people giving out about the kid. I thought he was one of the best child actors I've seen in a while.

Agreed. I thought he was great.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 102
RE: WTF? - 18/10/2012 11:45:08 AM   
Happy Shrapnel

He scared the crap out of me......reminded me of Damien !

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 103
RE: WTF? - 19/10/2012 7:05:04 PM   
Deviation

This was far more an emotional film than I expected it to be. I loved it, even if JGL's Bruce Willis face was very, very odd.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Happy Shrapnel)
Post #: 104
RE: WTF? - 20/10/2012 4:40:40 AM   
36degrees

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

SPOILERS ENDING

OK what did not sit well with me was ... how is the rain maker evil?

All we know of him is that in the future he closes the loops. Illegal loops set up by criminals who are sending people back in time to die. The rain maker is basically offing killers. Stopping a criminal process. Sure his goons have caused collateral damage. But alas what else has he done?Taken over all of the organised time and stopped looping. We never find out to what end. He hasnt ruled the world with an iron fist. This isnt judgement day. It isnt the dying world or Kyropton. Hell the future looked better than the present ...

What made Joe think him having a nicer childhood would achieve? Maybe he hasnt closed a loop at all ... well in the sense that he thinks. Maybe his experience as a child of loopers would drive him to get rid of them? Thats just rambling ... but my first point ... anyone?

Closing the loops is one thing, yes, but also - he has ruled with an iron fist- mass killings and whatnot, the news on TV. Remember that when old Joe was sent back, it was still in the beginning of his "reign" - the first 30 years of Joe's post looper life were before the Rainmaker.

< Message edited by 36degrees -- 20/10/2012 6:01:33 AM >

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 105
RE: Looper - 31/10/2012 4:56:54 PM   
chris kilby

Dystopia, dat topia…

Science fiction is always about the present not the future, whether intentionally or not. It can’t help but reflect the times which produced it – all those giant bugs and alien invasions in the 1950s which amplified then-current anxieties about The Bomb and The Red Menace. And look how Star Trek has never failed to reflect the prejudices, preoccupations and fashions of the last 50 years. There’s nothing as dated as yesterday’s future.

So it’s worrying that Looper’s future Kansas (just 30 years hence) is more Grapes of Wrath than Blade Runner. More depressed dustbowl than neon-drenched metropolis. Sure there might be the odd flying motorbike, but at the rate we’re going no-one will be able to afford to put petrol in them. Assuming there’ll be any petrol left, of course.

In a lot of ways Looper is truer to the spirit of Philip K Dick’s Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? than Blade Runner was. The poverty, the homelessness, the boarded-up windows and general state of disrepair (not to mention the sort of yawning chasm between rich and poor you only get in third world countries) smacks of the entropy at the heart of Dick’s novel. Or “Kipplisation” as he called it. Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold, mere anarchy is loosed upon the world…

Looper is the first post-Credit Crunch science fiction movie and it’s sober viewing. America is in terminal decline while China is in the ascendant. One empire falls as another one rises; economic apocalypse replacing the more traditional nuclear or eco variety and all too depressingly plausible as a result. Between this and Dredd, the future isn’t bright any more. It isn’t even artily shot like a commercial any more!

Looper is a bleak, despairing film for our troubled times. A futuristic film with no hope for the future. Still, it could be worse. It could be raining. It also shares the oppressive, brooding atmosphere of some of Bruce Willis’ finest films – Twelve Monkeys, The Sixth Sense, and Unbreakable. The less Willis smirks the better. And he certainly has an eye for a good genre script. Except Surrogates obviously…

Looper’s intriguing premise is ingenious if a bit of a stretch. A “Looper” is a professional killer. But none of yer “cool” movie assassin bullshit. What sort of assassin uses a blunderbuss - “A gun for fuck-up turkeys”? These guys aren’t cool. They’re douchebags. Just like the real thing. Crude mob hitmen hired to whack helpless, trussed-up victims sent back through time to be disposed of. (Um, why go to all that bother anyway? What’s wrong with a good old-fashioned slug in the back of the neck? Or concrete boots? "Tracking devices," my ass!)

They’re not too bright or well-respected either. As Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s Joe himself ruefully acknowledges with the fatalism of the doomed, noir antihero (and moral vacuum) that he is: “This job doesn’t attract the most forward thinking people.” Loopers are well-paid (in silver, as in “thirty pieces of…”) but only have a limited amount of time to spend it before Fate comes a-knocking and they themselves are sent back in time to be whacked by their younger selves! Not only are Loopers fuck-up turkeys who vote for Christmas, they are fuck-up turkeys who stuff themselves. This could just as easily be called Loser. Or Leaper. As in lemmings.

“Looper” also hints at a closed loop or predestination paradox, of course. Which is precisely what happens when Joe fails to “close the loop” on his older self when he arrives in the no-nonsense form of Bruce Willis who, unsurprisingly, has his own agenda. Young Joe fucks up, “letting his loop run.” Old Joe gets away. This is when things start getting weird…

It’s a great set-up. Sure, the central conceit’s hard to swallow and it’s a bit heavy on the exposition at the start. But whadaya expect with this sort of thing? Besides Joe’s hardboiled voiceover kinda adds to the carefully-cultivated noir-y ambience in a “They don’t advertise for killers in a newspaper” sorta way.

Joe’s a great protagonist. He’s a great antagonist too. It’s that kind of movie. He’s not even an antihero. He is an incredibly unsympathetic character. Both of him. Especially for a big-ish budget studio event movie, however “indie” in spirit. Young Joe is “a killer, a junkie with a child’s mentality. Self-absorbed and stupid.” And while Old Joe likes to think otherwise, he hasn’t changed. Not really. It’s a central trope of this film.

Without doing anything as crude or obvious as an impression (aided by an unobtrusive make-up job with, I suspect, some subtle CG-augmentation) the versatile Levitt is so convincing as a young, smirking Moonlighting-era Bruce Willis you want to slap him too! Willis isn’t to be sniffed at either. Few A-listers would be prepared to play such a character considering the atrocities he commits. The older Willis gets the better he gets. Like a fine wine. Or maybe a good bourbon. And we should cherish him for it. Bruce does get to be Bruce at one point, though. Actually, Bruce gets to be Arnie at one point. It’s exciting but curiously out of place. Looper just isn’t that kind of film. It’s like watching Blade Runner turn into Total Recall for five minutes. And that’s before he turns Terminator when the plot takes a detour down Would-You-Kill-Hitler-As-A-Child? Boulevard.

Willis and Levitt’s eerily convincing coffee shop face-off is the most electrifying since Pacino and DeNiro in Heat. Old Joe tries to warn his headstrong, not-too-bright, younger self about his future. About their future. But Young Joe, being headstrong and not-too-bright, doesn’t listen. Of course he doesn’t. Given our time over again would we do things differently or just make exactly the same mistakes? Or bigger mistakes? If I knew then what I know now… it probably wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference. It’s one of the great philosophical imponderables and the thematic heart of the film. It’s also the bleakest message of all.

Old Joe also warns Young Joe (and the audience!) not to think too much about the precise ins-and-outs of time travel or they’ll end up having to resort to diagrams. Like Back to the Future Part II, presumably. This is glib but welcome. Indeed, we are repeatedly warned not to dwell too much on the trans-temporal intricacies of the plot. “Time travel shit fries your brain like an egg.”

You can say that again. Especially when it appears that events never play out exactly the same way twice. That time travel, by its very nature, inevitably changes things as a matter of course. Re-writes history, alters reality (and our memories along with it) and probably creates parallel universes every time it takes place. It’s The Sound of Thunder. It’s the biggest, most brain-frying concept in the movie. And it is never explicitly stated. It’s just there. In the background. Waiting to be earnestly discussed, debated and theorised about. For ever. Not that you have to bone up on quantum mechanics to enjoy Looper. But I bet Rian Johnson did!

So not one for fanboys who like to be spoonfed, who demand that everything is spelled-out for them in mindnumbingly pedantic detail, or who absolutely insist on that every “i” is dotted and “t” is crossed. Although I expect the nitpickers had a field day.

Like Blade Runner’s flying cars, convincingly humanoid robots and colonisation of other worlds, oh, seven years from now, time travel by 2074 seems at best… unlikely. If only the same could be said of Looper’s all-too-plausibly rundown future.

How come time travel is exclusively in the hands of criminals and not the military or corporations? And thuddingly unimaginative, unambitious criminals at that. It’s like a nuke falling into the hands of those mutts in Donnie Brasco. Or chimps getting hold of computers. Er...

Will people Still be smoking in the future? I doubt it. I’m not talking health Nazis or awareness of the risks. The way things are going, fags’ll be 100 quid a packet by then!

Oh, and it wasn’t exactly subtle how the whole 10% “TK” (telekinetic) thing was introduced. Yeah, like that won’t be important later. When Looper does an abrupt volte face and turns into The Fury...

Time travel and telekinesis are just a means to a storytelling end anyway. Looper isn’t about tachyons or ESP. It’s about a lot of things. But it’s mainly about people. It’s about how we are all the products of our upbringing and wider social and historical forces beyond our control. Monsters aren't born, they're made. Nurture not nature. Although it’s nature which ultimately triumphs in the end. Or does it? Looper's ending is ambiguous to say the least. If power corrupts doesn't absolute power corrupt absolutely?

Scars – emotional and physical, are a recurring motif throughout. One poor sod watches helplessly in unimaginable horror as, one-by-one, his digits, limbs and other extremeties just disappear, the terrible wounds having long-since scarred over. The mindbending result of his younger self being tortured – the fate which awaits Old Joe should Young Joe be captured. Consequences is a huge theme here. How the future is haunted and shaped by the past. Bruce’s mutilated ear is like Jack’s slashed nose which makes Looper a time twisting Chinatown.

It’s a disorienting experience is time travel. Hence the recurring visual motif of the cream swirling in a cup of coffee. Like a maelstrom. And the eye of the temporal storm is The Rainmaker; the unseen bogeyman (who sounds suspiciously like Heroes’ Sylar) whose future reign of terror is of course tied to Joe in some way. Let’s just say The Rainmaker doesn’t pussyfoot around when it comes to fucking with causality. He is more than willing to play fast and loose with established history. But precisely why this guy is so hellbent on “closing the loop” on all Loopers and vagrants alike is never explicitly spelled out either although the clues are drip fed throughout and left for attentive audience members to piece together for themselves. And while it isn’t exactly hard to figure out, vital clues to The Rainmaker’s true identity are neatly scattered among the costumes and set decoration.

Great as Willis and Levitt are, Looper isn’t just The Bruce and Joe Show. The supporting cast excel too. Emily Blunt is right. As in no-nonsense. As in take no prisoners. A believably tough yet vulnerable gun-toting mom, this is a real departure for her and the best she’s ever been, I think

With his reedy voice perpetually on the point of cracking and that look on his face like a cross between a neurotic Karen O and a constantly perplexed Tamsin Greig, Paul Dano is Hollywood’s go-to hysteric at the moment.

Jeff Daniels is effectively cast against type as Abe, the seemingly genial Godfather sent from the future to run the loopers and the city - “Any other city that’d be impressive.” While laughs are as thin on the ground as you’d expect, Abe mocks Young Joe’s style: “The movies you’re copying are just copying other movies.” A bit cheeky in the age of endless sequels and pointless remakes, but also self-deprecating coming from the director of the homage-tastic Brick aka: The Maltese Classroom.

If knowledge is power, foreknowledge must be ultimate power. Yet, judging by Abe, it’s more a burden or a curse. Or rather an inescapable trap. His foreknowledge doesn’t bring him any joy or satisfaction. Far from it. And the closest he comes to exploiting it is advising Young Joe to move to China not France. Joe, of course, doesn't listen to him either. (What’s with Joe’s France obsession anyway? Well Looper is almost a French film. More Godard than Cameron, more Alphaville than Terminator.)

Hailing from Joe’s future, I kinda thought there would be more to Dishonest Abe. Some eleventh hour revelation about his younger self. But there wasn’t. Oh well. You can’t have everything. Where would you put it all?

Looper is subtle, multilayered stuff which works on a whole host of emotional, philosophical and temporal levels but in unobtrusive ways which don’t get in the way of the storytelling or draw attention to themselves, screaming and shouting “Look at me! Look at me! Look how deep I am!” like a precocious/obnoxious teenager who, embarrassingly, doesn’t actually understand the philosophical concepts he brandishes like they were his dad’s gun. Yes, The Matrix saga, I’m talking to you!

Much is implied but nothing is spelled out for the slow kids at the back. Johnson respects the audience's intelligence and we're expected to work and pay attention to this one. Which will inevitably lead to accusations of “plot holes” which simply aren’t there. Not if you think about it and consider the big picture. And the really small one.

Besides, Looper plays deliberately fast and loose with the “rules” of time travel the same way The Rainmaker plays havoc with all those loopers and vagrants. It even warns the audience in advance, so there’s really no point complaining about it. This sort of thing always requires that the audience be even more willing to suspend its disbelief than usual. Don’t tell anyone, but it’s all nonsense anyway.

Intelligent, thought-provoking, “proper” SF for grown-ups with real ideas, emotions and everything (as opposed to shooty-bang-bang sci-fi rubbish for children, usually with the word “Star” in the title*), Looper has been getting five star reviews across the board and rightly so. Which probably means the hard-of-thinking have been ripping it to shreds. A badge of honour I hope Rian Johnson wears with pride. When true quality appears in the cinema, you may know it by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against it.

* Don’t get me wrong. I love shooty-bang-bang sci-fi rubbish with the word “Star” in the title. But it ain’t “proper” science fiction.

EDIT: I just read this entire thread and... Jaysus! It was worse than I expected. How the flip can anyone seriously rate or slate something they haven't seen? I just saw Looper again and it stands up remarkably well to a second viewing. Given its own ground rules, it's actually more watertight plotwise than I thought. But only if you look beyond the obvious and consider the quantum implications of what's going on. Clever, clever stuff. There were even more layers and ironies that I didn't pick up on the first time round. And that ambiguous ending is truly chilling - there isn't any guarantee that Joe's actions will make the slightest bit of difference to the future.

Having said that, I did notice that Willis has earlobes while Levitt doesn't. So I take back everything I just said - THIS FILM SUCKS!

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 2/11/2012 6:54:22 PM >

Post #: 106
RE: Nah mate - 2/11/2012 4:20:37 PM   
chris kilby

I see what you did there. Cant wait to read your reviews of Blowmetheus, The Dark Shite Rises and I Am Bellend. Although I shudder to think what you made of The Hunt For Red October...

(You'll fit in here just fine, BTW. )

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 2/11/2012 4:33:11 PM >
Post #: 107
RE: Looper - 2/11/2012 5:47:10 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrewing1000

Loved it. Would have loved it even more if it wasn't for the selfish pricks who:

- used their mobile phone about 5 rows in front of me, constantly checking for messages.
- chatted about plot about 5 seats to the side of me
- took a phone call right outside the door

Anyone who still uses a mobile phone while a film is playing is a complete moron.

Anyone who still uses a mobile phone while a film is playing should be sent back in time then blasted out of their socks. No, their younger self should be slowly tortured, by having bits surgically lopped off. Starting with their tongues.

(I'd start with their brains, but IT WOULDN'T MAKE ANY FUCKING DIFFERENCE!)

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 108
RE: - 3/11/2012 6:15:19 PM   
Captain Corelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: ajm1991

Unlike other prominent time travel movies like Primer, Timecrimes etc, Looper is no confusing stuff - even thought it deals with concept deeper than its fellow mates. Bravo to that original, smooth and less complicated script by Rian Johnson. Yes it bears some pot holes (that cant be avoided) and also it gives you some moments to divulge in internet and unnecessarily to mention about those couple of terminologies that comes along with all time travel stuffs !! The movie pays homage to those cult sci-fic thirllers ranging from 'Blade Runner' to '12 Monkeys'. The cinematography to set the future was a direct take from Blade Runner but in a subtle and decent manner. Not like those chunks that jolts CGI here and there. Another factor I loved about this movie is the loyalty it keeps to the characters. There is no philosophical quasi one liners nor any moral dilemmas for the characters. Its all about a set of baddies that do anything for money. No wonder if you feel a noir gangster there !!

My Detailed Review Here:http://ajmreviews.blogspot.in/2012/10/looper.html

My detailed review here: Looper sucks.
Post #: 109
RE: RE: - 3/11/2012 6:17:17 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Corelli

quote:

Unlike other prominent time travel movies like Primer, Timecrimes etc, Looper is no confusing stuff - even thought it deals with concept deeper than its fellow mates. Bravo to that original, smooth and less complicated script by Rian Johnson. Yes it bears some pot holes (that cant be avoided) and also it gives you some moments to divulge in internet and unnecessarily to mention about those couple of terminologies that comes along with all time travel stuffs !! The movie pays homage to those cult sci-fic thirllers ranging from 'Blade Runner' to '12 Monkeys'. The cinematography to set the future was a direct take from Blade Runner but in a subtle and decent manner. Not like those chunks that jolts CGI here and there. Another factor I loved about this movie is the loyalty it keeps to the characters. There is no philosophical quasi one liners nor any moral dilemmas for the characters. Its all about a set of baddies that do anything for money. No wonder if you feel a noir gangster there !!

Oh, hi, BatSpider.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Captain Corelli)
Post #: 110
RE: RE: - 3/11/2012 9:06:08 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

So you keep saying. You appear to be stuck in a bit of a loop yourself.

Post #: 111
RE: RE: - 4/11/2012 5:44:25 PM   
Captain Corelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

quote:

Oh, hi, BatSpider.

Hello. Who's BatSpider? Sounds like a name some 12 year old would come up with.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 112
RE: RE: - 5/11/2012 1:34:59 PM   
shool

Bye Batspider.

Post #: 113
RE: RE: - 5/11/2012 1:37:36 PM   
matty_b

It's been said before but it's worth saying again -

Shool. Is. Bad. Ass.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 114
Looper - 16/12/2012 10:34:17 AM   
Phubbs

Looper

So so very confusing at first but I think I've worked this out now, I think. Very clever sci-fi and very intriguing but my god time travel is a bitch to follow at times haha. I really had to sit back and think about this at times, take it slow.

I won't go into the plot too much here as it may take time and I may reveal spoilers by mistake. I'm probably wrong about it myself. Even though this film is based on time travel its not a flashy effects time travel action film, its much more character driven with a solid premise requiring some thought.

'Joe' is a 'Looper', someone who kills people for the mob. The mob happens to be based 30yrs in the future. They send their targets back through time (which is highly illegal and only used by bigtime mobsters...somehow) to the Looper who then whacks them. This means the now dead target no longer exists in the future, but I'm unsure about his present day existence to be honest. I think he lives out the next 30yrs (the gap between present and future in the film) until the point where he is caught by the mob and sent back in time to be killed, no way out. Either that or he will just cease to exist at the time and date of death by the Looper.

This leads me to questions, many questions hehe. When someone is killed by a Looper what exactly happens to their present form? does it vanish into nothing or do they indeed continue living until the point of execution back in the past? (where they are sent by the mobsters). If so then surely this cycle would just go on and on wouldn't it?.

It does actually hurt your brain trying to get this nailed down. Other smaller issues don't quite feel right either, though not time related. The Loopers are assassins for the mob yet the job comes across like a government job with their own offices, weapons storage, pay department etc...'Joe' tells us that he cleans up the trash of the future which again makes you think its a proper pensioned government type job, it really doesn't feel like the mob a tall. The mob also seems to be able to pay all their Loopers in silver or gold so they must have easy access to these metals in the future or they are really rich mobsters.

The idea of 'closing the loop' also makes me wonder. Why on earth would anyone take a job where they know they could have their contract cancelled at any point and then be whacked themselves. The bizarre notion being they whack themselves, and they know it will definitely happen at some point when they accepted the job as a Looper in the first place. Then they only have 30yrs with their final payment to enjoy themselves before reaching the future moment where they were sent back to the past be killed (you get that?). Not a job for me thank you.

The prosthetic makeup used on Levitt to give him the looks of Willis is really good I must say, his eye colour was a bit off but overall it really worked well when they could of just left it. The casting of Levitt was inspired for the main role or 'Joe', as for willis' role...well anyone could of done that really, I don't rate the guy to be honest. The other let down was Daniels as the mob boss who has come from the future to look after the past. Not very threatening or intimidating really, not the type of guy you would choose for this role I think, he's too nice.

I also liked other subtle little futuristic touches like the 'Star Wars' style hover bikes, slight tweaks to skyscrapers and building designs plus some nice innovative touch screen technology throughout. Nothing amazing but it helped to give the impression of a slightly advanced future that isn't too unrecognisable or overblown. Overall the film is very minimalistic and extremely grounded with nothing much in the way of big budget effects.

The later half does get rather 'Omen-ish' towards the end with the little brat and his monotone ramblings and evil stares. Hard to believe 'Joe' takes soooo long to realise the little kid he's with all that time is the one he's after geez! pretty obvious. Also why 'Joe' decides to then help the kid! duh!? the kid is telekinetically unstable. Bottom line we don't actually know what this kid will do in the future other than close all Loops and take over organised crime, I guess we are meant to believe he will become a super villain type person?.

The first half of the film set in the city is much better visually and for the story, everything on the farm gets pretty drab frankly. So yes I found myself asking many questions and there are the odd moments of dumb action like when Willis manages to gun down all the bad guys despite the fact they have him pinned down at point blank range but I still liked the film as a very original sci-fi. A tad overly long but the film does exactly what it should and that is to make you think, get you involved deeply.

In the end I felt sorry for older 'Joe' played by Willis, was I suppose to? haha.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 16/12/2012 11:25:47 AM >
Post #: 115
The Future Is Uncertain - 18/12/2012 9:49:56 AM   
movienut707

Rian Johnson's futuristic sci-fi action thriller is intelligent, coherent and thought-provoking. Job bloody well done.

Post #: 116
- 3/1/2013 10:40:32 PM   
danfacey711

Surprised at the amount of criticism this film is receiving...
Refreshing, exciting, very clever and very original.
One of the best films this year

Post #: 117
Nope - 28/1/2013 6:33:10 PM   
Normal Control

Bruce Willis's ad peddling Sky TV had more substance.

Post #: 118
RE: Nope - 29/1/2013 1:46:20 PM   
Vitamin F

** spoilery stuff may follow **

GOD DAMN YOU, 3rd ACT ! !

For the first 2 acts this had me gripped - intelligent time travel theory, violence, Bruce & JGL on top form, more violence, a slimy Paul Dano. Magnificent.
I don't recall a time travel film that pondered the mental changes that might occur as well as the physical ones - the scene between old and young Joe in the diner was very thought provoking.

But as we approached the end and the TK stuff came to the fore, this became just another basic supernatural thriller with too many ropey fx and very little originality. Such a disappointing finale to an outstanding first hour or so.
Worth a viewing but it gets weaker as it progresses, I thought.

(Emily Blunt with a shotgun though....mmmm)

(in reply to Normal Control)
Post #: 119
Lopper - 30/1/2013 9:49:38 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Deleted.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 30/1/2013 10:02:39 PM >

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: WTF? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI