Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD Page: <<   < prev  18 19 20 21 [22]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 28/8/2014 8:22:58 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Picked this up on Monday:

First heard about it ages ago and I'd been waiting a while to check it out. I really enjoyed it. It's a fun adventure movie with lush visuals. I don't know what all the negative reviews are talking about when they question the quality of the animation as I thought it looked stunning in 3D. The mo cap is superb and the environments look great. The 3D throughout is excellent with a consistent strong 3D presentation. Tons of depth and layers throughout the whole movie. Loads of fluid swooping camera moves too. The story was interesting and there was plenty of exciting actions scenes. I really thought the movie worked. I don't know what critics are talking about sometimes. They seem to find it hard to appreciate a lot of fun adventure movies.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 631
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 28/8/2014 9:25:33 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

Nice steelbook there DK

Here are my 3D pick ups since June.

Those three underwater documentaries are awesome. That was one of the first sets i bought after getting my 3D TV. Really fantastic stuff.

Finally got round to seeing the Lego Movie. Not too bad and i enjoyed it more than i thought i would. The first ten mins or so were especially good. Kind of like Wreck it Ralph where i felt the start was strongest.

I had seen one of them before it's a set that I have been after for a while just never gotten around to picking it up. Glad to hear you watched the Lego Movie loved it my self still the best film of the year for me.

Off topic have you seen Divergent yet and what did you think of it ?.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 632
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 28/8/2014 1:31:02 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I did see Divergent and i must be honest i wasnt crazy about it, although i'm really not the target audience by a long shot. The story and characters held zero interest for me however i did enjoy the visuals, the post apocalyptic setting and there was that one great scene where she ziplines through the ruined city at night, that was amazing. Sadly that is only a brief bit in a fairly long movie. I will say i much preferred it to Hunger Games which i really didn't like at all. I find if these YA adaptations had a bit more action in them, i'd enjoy them more but they all seem to be action lite.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 633
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 29/8/2014 8:48:15 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

I did see Divergent and i must be honest i wasnt crazy about it, although i'm really not the target audience by a long shot. The story and characters held zero interest for me however i did enjoy the visuals, the post apocalyptic setting and there was that one great scene where she ziplines through the ruined city at night, that was amazing. Sadly that is only a brief bit in a fairly long movie. I will say i much preferred it to Hunger Games which i really didn't like at all. I find if these YA adaptations had a bit more action in them, i'd enjoy them more but they all seem to be action lite.

I was not that keen on it myself it wasted Maggie Q badly. I have to say that I much prefferred The fist Hunger Games film was not a fan of the 2nd film. But I know a few people who like it not the worst film of the year (Muppets most wanted I am looking at you there such a waste after the 2011 Muppet film which I loved) However The Grand Budapest Hotel is a close 2nd).

Back on Topic last night I watched Jurassic Park 3D yet again it is now my most watched 3D film. I have watched it 4 times. 2 times this year and can not wait to re-watch it again.

[leaves]

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 634
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 1/9/2014 8:47:16 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

I was not that keen on it myself it wasted Maggie Q badly. I have to say that I much prefferred The fist Hunger Games film was not a fan of the 2nd film. But I know a few people who like it not the worst film of the year (Muppets most wanted I am looking at you there such a waste after the 2011 Muppet film which I loved) However The Grand Budapest Hotel is a close 2nd).

Back on Topic last night I watched Jurassic Park 3D yet again it is now my most watched 3D film. I have watched it 4 times. 2 times this year and can not wait to re-watch it again.

Yeah Maggie Q was hardly in it! A lot of these YA adaptations tend to blend together for me really. Not seen either Muppets of Grand Budapest Hotel, but then i haven't seen the 2011 Muppets movie either, not really my thing to be honest.

Yeah Jurassic Park 3D is wonderful every single time.

Amazing Spiderman 2 out today, wahey! I loved that movie, looking forward to rewatching it later.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 635
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 2/9/2014 8:30:34 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Rewatched last night and the 3D is just as mind blowing as i remember. I know it's a barmy cheese fest but i really love this movie. It's just so daft and entertaining. The set pieces are absolutely terrific too.

Post #: 636
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 3/9/2014 8:33:43 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

It was a pain to wait as i missed this at cinemas (and really wanted to see it) but i'm glad I held out for the 3D release. Fair enough if Darren Aronofsky hates 3D, i'm just delighted that Paramount insisted on a conversion for certain territories at least. We didn't get it in 3D and neither did the US but a fair few other countries did. Noah 3D German Steelbook 3 disc edition:

This had a proper 3D conversion too, not some rush job. It was done by Stereo D, the same team who did Pacific Rim, Godzilla, The Avengers, Jurassic Park and Titanic. Paramount spent $10M on the conversion itself. Haven't had chance to watch the whole movie but i watched the first 12 minutes and it looks amazing.

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 3/9/2014 8:34:03 AM >

Post #: 637
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 4/9/2014 11:38:41 AM   
spark1

specs for 'train your dragon 2'-

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/how-to-train-your-dragon-2.html

Post #: 638
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 4/9/2014 10:50:12 PM   
Stuntgoat

Watched Spidey 2 tonight and I agree with you about the 3D, it's awesome definitely one of the better ones out there.
Didn't even know Noah had a 3D version, apparently The Lone Ranger was also shot in 3D.

We're gonna need a bigger boat!
PSN: Stuntgoat

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 639
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 5/9/2014 8:15:45 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stuntgoat

Watched Spidey 2 tonight and I agree with you about the 3D, it's awesome definitely one of the better ones out there.
Didn't even know Noah had a 3D version, apparently The Lone Ranger was also shot in 3D.

Hey mate, The Lone Ranger definitely was not shot in 3D. It also never recieved a 3D conversion i'm afraid despite early rumours that it was going to be in 3D. It wasn't released in 3D anywhere theatrically in the world and the same goes for blu ray. I think early rumours started because they had July 3rd as the release date which some may have mistaken as 3D. I even swear i saw a trailer that said it was in 3D but i've double checked and no such trailer exists sadly. As one of my favourite movies of last year i would have loved a 3D version.

As for Noah, it was this article: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/darren-aronoskys-noah-will-be-converted-to-3d-just-not-in-north-america that i first saw on 6th February this year saying that the movie would recieve a proper conversion, but that it would NOT be released in 3D in North America, UK, Australia and France. Most other territories got it in 3D. Apparently Darren Aronofsky isn't a fan of the format. However after watching the whole movie now i can honestly say that the 3D is simply stunning. It's consistently strong throughout and even though Aronofsky may not like 3D, he certainly shot the movie in a way that 3D really helps enhance with lots of longer shots and swooping camera moves. The 3D on this is fantastic and i highly recommend importing the 3D disc (that is of course if you're a fan of the movie, if you hate it there's no point lol). If you so desire you can also see the thread i started on Noah 3D over at bluray.com: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=236468

Here are some links for the 3D version at Amazon Germany, where i got my copy from:

http://www.amazon.de/Noah-3D-Blu-ray-Jennifer-Connelly/dp/B00JJUBCJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409901297&sr=8-1&keywords=noah+3d+blu+ray

Steelbook:
http://www.amazon.de/Noah-Steelbook-Blu-ray-Limited-Edition/dp/B00KCQIXTW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409901297&sr=8-2&keywords=noah+3d+blu+ray

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 5/9/2014 8:17:02 AM >

(in reply to Stuntgoat)
Post #: 640
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 8/9/2014 8:51:59 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Wow this movie was... wow. I'm finding it hard to put into words. It's an interesting movie to say the least but i did like it! Although i'm not sure for the right reasons. On one hand this is absolutely horrendous, on the other it's so ridiculous and plays it's craziness so straight and serious i couldn't help but enjoy myself. When it gets the giant Praying Mantis you either have to go with it or reject it, and i went with it. The 3D was fantastic, nice and strong throughout with plenty of good thought put into shot placement etc. This is just a really effective 3D presentation. The movie has absolutely no quick camera moves and very few fast cuts so you can really savour the fantastic dimensionality of the 3D. The best thing about this movie is its 3D. As for the movie itself though, the acting is all over the place and the pacing is a bit off. The movie lacks a certain dramatic punch. The lighting is insane too, and not necessarily in the usual (or old) Dario Argento fashion. Everything is really brightly lit. This has to be one of the brightest movies i've ever seen and certainly one of the brightest horror movies. However once you've adjusted to the intense nature of the lighting you can settle into things a bit more.

Post #: 641
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 10/9/2014 8:27:01 AM   
NCC1701A

Watched Sharks 3D part of the Jean-Michel Cousteau's film trilogy 3D box set the 3D was amazing. Of topic finally watched the first Raid film liked it was did not love it however I will watch the Raid 2.

[leaves]

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 642
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 11/9/2014 1:50:29 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Watched Sharks 3D part of the Jean-Michel Cousteau's film trilogy 3D box set the 3D was amazing. Of topic finally watched the first Raid film liked it was did not love it however I will watch the Raid 2.

Cool mate. Have you watched the Ocean Wonderland one yet? I think that was my favourite as a lot of it is filmed in fairly shallow waters giving a great sense of depth. I think the dolphins and whales one was the weakest due to a lot of the sequences being in very deep water, so the only point of reference was the actual whale itself. The sharks one was great too though. One of them has slightly childish narration, i can't remember whcih one though. One is narrated by Darryl Hannah too if i recall correctly.

You may not like Raid 2 as it's very different and about an hour longer. However you may really appreciate the differences. It's kind of like a crime epic mixed with a fighting movie.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 643
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 12/9/2014 12:56:25 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

quote:

Cool mate. Have you watched the Ocean Wonderland one yet? I think that was my favourite as a lot of it is filmed in fairly shallow waters giving a great sense of depth. I think the dolphins and whales one was the weakest due to a lot of the sequences being in very deep water, so the only point of reference was the actual whale itself. The sharks one was great too though. One of them has slightly childish narration, i can't remember whcih one though. One is narrated by Darryl Hannah too if i recall correctly.

You may not like Raid 2 as it's very different and about an hour longer. However you may really appreciate the differences. It's kind of like a crime epic mixed with a fighting movie.

I have seen that one before it was really good the 3D was great in that one. Not seen the Dolphins and Whales one yet. Raid 2 I will see but might wait a while.

[leaves]

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 644
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 16/9/2014 8:11:44 AM   
NCC1701A

Watched The Amazing Spider-Man 2 last night really enjoyed the film not as amazing as the first one which for me is still the best spider-Man film to date. 3D was good as well.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 16/9/2014 8:12:04 AM >

[leaves]

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 645
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 17/9/2014 8:46:59 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I really love The Amazing Spiderman 2, flaws and all. It's a daft, ridiculous movie and can be slated on so many levels, however i don't care, i enjoy pretty much everything about it, apart from perhaps Giamatti's take on the Rhino which is perhaps a bit much lol. Great 3D agreed.

I'm going to order the US release of Transformers: Age of Extinction as the UK release won't come with the 2D disc.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 646
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 17/9/2014 10:56:24 AM   
UTB

Giamatti's Rhino is totally in keeping with the campy daftness of the entire film, I thought. It's Foxx's dead-serious Electro that sticks out like a sore thumb, I think.

Post #: 647
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 17/9/2014 1:17:28 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I do agree, absolutely. I have no problem with over the top, it's more that i just think he's bad at it, like kind of high school play bad. His accent is terrible, and it's just a bit off. I love the camp tone/ nature of the movie throughout, i just think he could have dialled it back a notch or two. Especially if his character is going be involved in actual dialogue scenes in the Sinister Six movie.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 648
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 20 21 [22]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD Page: <<   < prev  18 19 20 21 [22]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI