Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 24/7/2014 1:49:00 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

specs for 'days of future past'-

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/x-men-days-of-future-past.html

So does this mean the extended version will be a double dip? I hope not!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 601
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 27/7/2014 8:49:39 AM   
Stuntgoat

Just ordered Wizard Of Oz 3D from the US was a special offer price on Amazon.com, region free as well! Worked out cheaper than pre-ordering it from UK amazon. Supposed to be really good conversion as well.

We're gonna need a bigger boat!
PSN: Stuntgoat

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 602
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 27/7/2014 2:04:20 PM   
Stuntgoat

You were right about Need For Speed, just watched it and the 3D is great, there were a couple of scenes where it went a bit wobbly but thought overall it really added to the film.

(in reply to Stuntgoat)
Post #: 603
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 27/7/2014 3:12:00 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stuntgoat

Just ordered Wizard Of Oz 3D from the US was a special offer price on Amazon.com, region free as well! Worked out cheaper than pre-ordering it from UK amazon. Supposed to be really good conversion as well.

Nice one, let us know your thoughts, I've also heard that the 3D conversion is great. I think the UK has to wait till November so I'm going to try and wait till then, very keen to check it out though.

(in reply to Stuntgoat)
Post #: 604
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 27/7/2014 3:13:18 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

You were right about Need For Speed, just watched it and the 3D is great, there were a couple of scenes where it went a bit wobbly but thought overall it really added to the film.

Yeah those shots inside the car really gave the sensation that you were actually sat there in the seat. Those really wide angles that took in the whole windscreen etc were just amazing in 3D. Just to think this was a fairly last minute conversion and results are unbelievably good. Just goes to show how good conversions have come in a few years.

(in reply to Stuntgoat)
Post #: 605
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 30/7/2014 8:30:47 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

A bit of my 3D display:

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 30/7/2014 1:41:43 PM >

Post #: 606
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 1/8/2014 8:20:37 AM   
NCC1701A

Cool looking set there DK.

I was watching Twister the other night and I was think how good would this look in 3D so I was thinking what other films would look good with a 3D conversion like Jurassic Park which looked amazing in 3D.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 607
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 1/8/2014 8:45:58 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

I was watching Twister the other night and I was think how good would this look in 3D so I was thinking what other films would look good with a 3D conversion like Jurassic Park which looked amazing in 3D.

Wow great point. I would seriously love Twister to recieve a 3D conversion. If we look at the really good catalogue conversions though, i guess we only have Jurassic Park and Titanic (Wizard of Oz too i guess). The cheaper ones are servicable (I, Robot, Jumper and Predator) but fall short of Jurassic Park and Titanic. Twister could really benefit from a proper decent conversion as you say. It's one of my favourite movies from the 90's period.

I wish James Cameron would convert some more of his back catalogue. Give us True Lies and The Abyss 3D!

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 608
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 1/8/2014 8:55:06 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Wow great point. I would seriously love Twister to recieve a 3D conversion. If we look at the really good catalogue conversions though, i guess we only have Jurassic Park and Titanic (Wizard of Oz too i guess). The cheaper ones are servicable (I, Robot, Jumper and Predator) but fall short of Jurassic Park and Titanic. Twister could really benefit from a proper decent conversion as you say. It's one of my favourite movies from the 90's period.

I wish James Cameron would convert some more of his back catalogue. Give us True Lies and The Abyss 3D!

Twister is a classic however I would love both True Lies and The Abyss (The Abyss is my favourite James Cameron film) in 3D. I would also love to see Some of the classic Star Trek films, Batman 1989 (which does look good in 3D thanks to the 2D to 3D thing on my Tv) and Gremlins 1 or 2 in 3D.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 1/8/2014 8:56:00 AM >

[leaves]

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 609
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 2/8/2014 11:31:36 AM   
spark1

specs for 'maleficent'-

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/maleficent.html

Post #: 610
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 2/8/2014 6:49:53 PM   
Stuntgoat

would be just happy to have True Lies and The Abyss in hi def, nevermind 3D, come on Cameron take a break from the Naavi and give us those 2 classics.
By the way Guardians Of The Galaxy in 3d was excellent!

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 611
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 4/8/2014 8:33:29 AM   
NCC1701A

Watched Need for Speed last night and I was surprised by how much that I enjoyed it. The 3D was great as well.

[leaves]

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Stuntgoat)
Post #: 612
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 4/8/2014 9:01:11 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Agreed with Stuntgoat on GOTG. Absolutely wonderful movie, with superb strong 3D throughout. I thinm i enjoyed GOTG more than Star Trek into Darkness which it shares some similarities with. Just a great, crowd pleasing blockbuster with great humour and characters.

Yeah Need for Speed is awesome in 3D. Can't see myself ever watching it in 2D really.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 613
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 5/8/2014 8:26:38 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So last night I watched The Legend of Hercules 3D. Now just to explain I have been waiting to see this for quite some time, since i read the announcement in February 2013. It is directed by Renny Harlin who i am a huge fan of and has done some of my favourite action movies such as Die Hard 2, Cliffhanger, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Cutthroat island and Deep Blue Sea to name a few. Not many people realise that 2014 has had two competing Hercules movies as this one completely sunk without trace earlier in the year sadly. It stars Kellan Lutz as Hercules and Scott Adkins as the villain. This is the artwork, which seems to emphasize the 'Hercules' bit at the expense of the 'The Legend of' bit.

Now onto the movie. It got completely savaged by critics and sank at the box office which is a real shame as it's a fun, old fashioned swords and sandals action movie. It has had some decent money put behind it (the budget is reported at 70Mil, although that seems a little high based on the end results) but the script and some of the performances are what really lets it down. A better script could have made a huge difference here and whilst i thought Kellan Lutz was very good and stood out during his brief role in Expendables 3, his Hercules is not so good and a little bland. Although i will place part of the blame on the script. He definitely has the physique for the action. On the other hand Scott Adkins is very good as the evil King and by far gives the best performance in the movie, and one of his best period. However the main draw for me was having Renny Harlin back in the directors chair for a large scale action movie and i'm glad to say he delivers the goods completely. The action sequences are really well choreographed and shot with fantastic use of slow mo. The action is kind of like a cross between 300 and Gladiator with lots of slow downs in the middle of an action shot etc. The movie looks really good too with great cinematography from Sam McCurdy (Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Doomsday) and mostly successful visual FX. I say mostly successful as every now and then a very phony looking background will show up. Many have complained about a lion that shows up early on but i honestly thought that looked fine for the most part.

Anyway I've saved the best till last. Now i don't say this lightly but The Legend of Hercules has pretty much the best live action 3D i have EVER seen. I had heard from many posters on Bluray.com that the 3D in this was spectacular but honestly it was even better than i had hoped. The movie is a native 3D production and more recently that has often led to less than stellar results, with a lot of the conversions actually providing stronger 3D, however that is not the case here. The whole movie has been designed with 3D in mind and the 3D is very strong throughout, with some shots having some of the strongest and most impressive 3D I've ever seen. Seriously even if the movie is a bit cheesy, it is absolutely worth getting just for the 3D as it is amazing and blows many of the larger budgeted productions out of the water. The movie is full of great pop outs and tons of really great depth and layers with loads of nicely composed shots. I have heard that the current Hercules movie with Dwayne Johnson has really great, strong 3D too, so that's two Hercules movies with strong 3D in the same year which is pretty cool. I picked my copy up for 12.99 in HMV and i;m sure it'll drop in price soon as it was such a flop. Definitely worth picking up and for fans of fun swords and sandals action movies, it's definitely worth a go. I'd rate the movie probably around a 6/10 and the 3D a definite 10/10. If only all movies had 3D this strong.

I'd rate this above Jurassic Park, Titanic and Pacific Rim in terms of the 3D. It really is pretty much the best live action 3D going.

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 5/8/2014 8:29:55 AM >

Post #: 614
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 5/8/2014 3:05:49 PM   
spark1

quote:

would be just happy to have True Lies and The Abyss in hi def, nevermind 3D, come on Cameron take a break from the Naavi and give us those 2 classics.
By the way Guardians Of The Galaxy in 3d was excellent!

why do I feel that cameron has disowned these films-not even a UE when 'true lies' came out on dvd.
maybe its a matter of taste for him in a post 9/11 world.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 7/8/2014 11:38:55 AM >

(in reply to Stuntgoat)
Post #: 615
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 8/8/2014 8:25:51 AM   
NCC1701A

went in to my local cash Converters yesterday and picked up Saw: The Final Chapter 3D, The nightmare Before Christmas 3D, Finding Nemo 3D and My Bloody Valentine 3D for 8 each.

[leaves]

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 616
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 15/8/2014 11:42:25 AM   
spark1

specs-and title change-for 'edge of tomorrow'-

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/edge-of-tomorrow.html

and atmos to go with it-

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/15/dolby-home-cinema-audio-gravity-alfonso-cuaron-atmost

Post #: 617
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 15/8/2014 11:43:50 AM   
spark1

quote:

went in to my local cash Converters yesterday and picked up Saw: The Final Chapter 3D, The nightmare Before Christmas 3D, Finding Nemo 3D and My Bloody Valentine 3D for 8 each.

yeah, have been to a couple of CEX shops that have a 3d blu shelf.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 618
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 16/8/2014 8:47:51 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

quote:

yeah, have been to a couple of CEX shops that have a 3d blu shelf.

We have a CEX near us and I have gotten quite a few 3D blu Rays from them at good prices.

Last 3D picks up were Final Destination 5 3D (Not my favourite of the series) and finally picked up the Jean-Michel Cousteau's film trilogy 3D box set.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 16/8/2014 8:48:11 AM >

[leaves]

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 619
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 18/8/2014 8:38:34 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is out today in 3D.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 620
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 18/8/2014 5:29:42 PM   
Stuntgoat

My CEX are useless and keep giving the 3D discs to people buying the 2D version so when I go to buy the 3D disc they try and give me the 2D ones and then say, it came to us like that!
My copy of Cap 2 arrived today and shall be watching it tonight, my favourite film of the year so far.

Post #: 621
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 19/8/2014 8:15:02 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I have two Cex stores i frequent on a regular basis, one in the city i live in and one in the city i work in. In fact i go in pretty much every lunchtime for a mooch. I have managed to get a lot of 3D blus from there but of course the new releases i tend to pick up on day one.

Cap 2 is indeed great fun although there were a few too many things that niggled me about it for me to truly love it. I admired its attempts to tell a more adult story and make a slightly different kind of Marvel movie, but in their attempt it still felt kind of like kids trying to play grown up in terms of the writing and story twists etc. Great action and set pieces though.

(in reply to Stuntgoat)
Post #: 622
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 20/8/2014 8:17:13 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I have two Cex stores i frequent on a regular basis, one in the city i live in and one in the city i work in. In fact i go in pretty much every lunchtime for a mooch. I have managed to get a lot of 3D blus from there but of course the new releases i tend to pick up on day one.

Cap 2 is indeed great fun although there were a few too many things that niggled me about it for me to truly love it. I admired its attempts to tell a more adult story and make a slightly different kind of Marvel movie, but in their attempt it still felt kind of like kids trying to play grown up in terms of the writing and story twists etc. Great action and set pieces though.

I watched cap 2 yesterday one word awesome really enjoyed it way better then both Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark world. The action set -pieces were great and the acting was great two. Marvel's best since the Avengers. Here's hoping that Guardians of the Galaxy is just as good. It's my 2nd best film of the film behind The Lego Movie.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 20/8/2014 8:18:36 AM >

[leaves]

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 623
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 20/8/2014 8:48:30 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Well i preferred GOTG to Cap 2 personally. Don't get me wrong, Cap 2 is great entertainment there's just too many silly bits that don't make much sense. I think the big one for me is after the (awesome) Nick Fury chase sequence early on and the Winter Soldier flips Fury's car and goes over to take him out. So in a matter of seconds Fury manages to tunnel a hole straight down THROUGH the solid earth (through tarmac etc) and escape. What the hell? It's like did he manage to tunnel all the way to Rogers apartment? It just makes no sense as is so face palmingly stupid. Also stuff like Black Widow just walking out of the middle of her court hearing before its even finished, without any repurcussions. Stuff like that just completely denounces any of the 'realism' they're trying to inject into the more serious tone of the movie. Also the device that allows her to look like Jenny Agutter that seems to come from nowhere. Not to mention the fact that Agutter, a woman in her 60's will have a completely different body to Scarlett Johanssen and of course no one will notice. It just seems so daft for want of a better word.

I'll say again though, a great action movie with wonderful set pieces and it's well made and well acted.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 624
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 21/8/2014 11:54:41 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Slight delay on the delivery but it arrived in perfect nick.

Post #: 625
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 22/8/2014 12:27:35 PM   
NCC1701A

Nice steelbook there DK

Here are my 3D pick ups since June.

[leaves]

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 626
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 25/8/2014 2:41:39 PM   
Stuntgoat

Finally got round to watching The Wizard Of Oz 3D, was worth the wait. They have done an amazing job, some of it is as good as the conversion of Jurassic Park. It's a bit odd at first as the film is in pillarbox format with the black bars up the side, but once you get used to it you appreciate how good the transfer is. For a 75 year old film it looks great, obviously its shot in soft focus but the picture still looks amazing and very colourful! The one nice touch is with the wicked witch, everytime she is on screen and looking toward the camera she really pops out the screen obviously done to make her more scary. Overall a great conversion.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 627
RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD - 27/8/2014 2:18:36 PM   
spark1

specs for 'age of extinction'-

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/transformers-age-of-extinction.html

(in reply to Stuntgoat)
Post #: 628
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: THE 3D BLU RAY THREAD Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI