Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Trailers: Out of Ideas?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Trailers: Out of Ideas? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trailers: Out of Ideas? - 6/9/2012 2:40:15 AM   
furrybastard

Is it me or are all trailers essentially the same these days? I went to Lawless yesterday and these two trailers played beforehand and I noticed something a bit odd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iQuhsmtfHw at 2.00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMVfoEegEuw at 1.35

They use the exact same music! In the exact same way! There's also the beat-style editing that's been in almost every trailer of the last year, most notably Prometheus.

In the case of something like Cosmopolis then, they sell the film based on an aesthetic that is completely 100% removed from what the film is actually like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS9jc3BnLRc&feature=fvwrel

Anyone got examples of modern trailers that do things in a more clever way? I liked the Dark Knight Rises trailer just because it starts off unexepectedly, with a really mournful tone.
Post #: 1
RE: Trailers: Out of Ideas? - 6/9/2012 1:10:02 PM   
Whistler

Trailers do tend to copy each other. Remember Inception? Bwaaaam!

I liked the Man of Steel trailer because it didn't give much away about the plot and it was completely different to what we expected from a Zack Snyder film. I don't like trailers that just lay out the entire plot with all it's turns and character arcs. Recent examples are The Blind Side, Contraband and Cloud Atlas (6 minutes!?). They all just went on and on and on. I actually turned the Cloud Atlas trailer off half way through because I just didn't want to see that much. Prometheus's second trailer was great because it gave nothing away, just flashed images of what's to come. That's what trailers should be, teasers.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 2
RE: Trailers: Out of Ideas? - 6/9/2012 1:13:44 PM   
jackcarter

exactly they should do away with the main 2min+ trailers and just have teasers and allow audiences get blown away (or not) seeing the actual film

the main Prometheus trailers seemed to want to give away everything so didnt watch them before seeing the film, and didnt the T2 main trailer spoil the good terminator bad terminator thing (which wouldve been a great suprise in the film)

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 6/9/2012 10:26:30 PM >

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 3
RE: Trailers: Out of Ideas? - 6/9/2012 1:28:19 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Did anyone catch the extended 5 minute trailer for Total Recall recently? It's ridiculous as it actually gives away pretty much the ENTIRE plot.

I say plot....

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 4
RE: Trailers: Out of Ideas? - 6/9/2012 1:31:57 PM   
Whistler

I didn't see the five minute version, but I hated how the 'regular' trailer gave away the whole deal with his wife; not everybody's seen the original and knows what happens!

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 5
RE: Trailers: Out of Ideas? - 6/9/2012 3:00:31 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

exactly they should do away with the main 2min+ trailers and just have teasers and allow audiences get blown away (or not) seeing the actual film

Yep, agreed. I recently caught the Tucker and Dale vs Evil trailer long after I'd actually watched the film and couldn't help thinking that if I'd seen it beforehand, I'd probably not have enjoyed the movie anywhere near as much. All the spectacular, outlandish and mostly brilliant death scenes are included, which just seems daft!

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 6
RE: Trailers: Out of Ideas? - 6/9/2012 3:20:50 PM   
sharkboy

Clint Mansell must be raking in a fortune in royalties from Lux Aeterna - written for Requiem For A Dream, used in pretty much everything else since!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 7
RE: Trailers: Out of Ideas? - 6/9/2012 3:55:52 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I didn't see the five minute version, but I hated how the 'regular' trailer gave away the whole deal with his wife; not everybody's seen the original and knows what happens!

Total Recall is indicative of what I've been banging on about for years, i.e. they just show a speeded up version of the practically the whole movie. It's fucking terrible I avoid them like the plague if I can at all help it, but sat in the cinema there's sadly no getting away from them.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 8
RE: Trailers: Out of Ideas? - 6/9/2012 9:11:03 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Clint Mansell must be raking in a fortune in royalties from Lux Aeterna - written for Requiem For A Dream, used in pretty much everything else since!

Haven't seen Requiem for a Dream but is that the music that was used in the Sunshine trailer? Became one of those pieces used absolutely everywhere? Same with parts of the Inception soundtrack!

Completely agree that trailers are too long. Haven't watched any of these 5 min extended trailers, but even the 2.5 min jobbies can drag on. The two in the original post both drag on something chronic. I wouldn't mind watching Looper but even when that's the case, shorter trailers grab me more effectively. In the case of Alex Cross, it was a right old slog, proper seen-it-all-before stuff.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Trailers: Out of Ideas? - 7/9/2012 10:13:17 AM   
spark1

remember when that track from james horner's 'aliens' soundtrack was in every 90s trailer?

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Trailers: Out of Ideas? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI