Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Is it time to start inventing new comic book villains or even brand new superheroes?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Is it time to start inventing new comic book villains or even brand new superheroes? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it time to start inventing new comic book villains o... - 5/9/2012 3:19:46 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Looking at Superman and his lack of decent foes anyone think it would be an interesting move to start coming up with completely new villians for various superheros to come up against?

I think Spiderman has used up his top two in Doc Octopus and the Green Goblin, Batman has used a whole bunch, Bane, The Riddler, The Joker, Iceman, The Penguin etc. etc.

Going one step further how about a completely new superhero invented by the studios?

Good ideas or something to set comicbook fans pants on fire

Post #: 1
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 5/9/2012 3:25:21 PM   
vad3r

I'd rather they just keep rebooting the same villains in a cycle but keep it fresh every time. It'd be weird if we saw Batman up against Captain Destruction or The Bricklayer.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 5/9/2012 3:29:58 PM   
AxlReznor

If you're talking about the comics, Grant Morrison managed to do just that extremely well on his run on Batman. Simon Hurt, The Black Glove, The Club Of Villains and The Circus Of Strange are the best new villains to be introduced since Hush. For some reason comics fans are far more open to new villains for Batman than they are for any other character... Scott Snyder's recently added James Gordon Jr. and The Court Of Owls to his ever-growing rogues gallery.

In fact, creating new villains is something of a specialty for Morrison... he did a good job of creating new threats on his run on X-Men, too. Cassandra Nova's a real psychopathic bitch.

I'd love someone to create brand new rogues gallery's for other characters, because it does get boring when it seems that Norman Osborne is behind everything that ever happens to Spider-Man. Iron Man's enemies are practically all just other versions of Iron Man. And Superman? Well, considering he was the first of what would become known as superheroes, his rogues gallery is quite frankly embarrasing.

For movies, studio-created characters in comic movies don't tend to go down too well for some reason. Last couple of times they tried to invent a superhero we got a pissed off Uma Thurman, and Hancock.
Although when it comes to original villains, I always liked Christopher Walken in Batman Returns... surprises me that Max Shreck has never actually turned up in the comics at some point.

Post #: 3
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 5/9/2012 3:45:33 PM   
Chief

I think the problem would be selling it to the public. Comic book movies generate sales because of an already established fanbase and average Joe has at least heard of Superman/Spider Man etc. so there's not as much risk financially.

Creating a totally new IP would increase the risk vs. reward, and that is the like Kryptonite to studios.

Post #: 4
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 5/9/2012 6:54:30 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I think Spiderman has used up his top two in Doc Octopus and the Green Goblin,

Well, there's the Kingpin as well. I'd have have quite liked to see him appear in the new Spidey film series but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 5
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 5/9/2012 9:07:46 PM   
Dirk Miggler

The Incredibles ! It can be done.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 6
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 5/9/2012 9:16:02 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Batman has used a whole bunch, Bane, The Riddler, The Joker, Iceman, The Penguin etc. etc.

*puts on pedant hat*

Iceman is a good guy and part of The X-Men. You must be thinking of Mr. Freeze

*takes off hat and runs*

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 5/9/2012 9:17:08 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 7
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 5/9/2012 9:23:37 PM   
Hood_Man

...a Giant Spider!

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 8
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 5/9/2012 11:05:04 PM   
shool

Hancock?

Incredibles were better though.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 9
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 6/9/2012 12:52:18 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

...a Giant Spider!

Correction - a giant mechanical spider...

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 10
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 6/9/2012 3:57:34 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

Good shout - I've often thought it would have made a killer live action movie as well.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

Batman has used a whole bunch, Bane, The Riddler, The Joker, Iceman, The Penguin etc. etc.

*puts on pedant hat*

Iceman is a good guy and part of The X-Men. You must be thinking of Mr. Freeze

*takes off hat and runs*

Nope your right - schoolboy error from me there

On the note of Hancock I think it's an interesting failure, not a bad movie.

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 6/9/2012 3:59:04 PM >

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 11
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 6/9/2012 5:01:50 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Chronicle ? It's basically a story ripped straight from a comic book. My Super Ex Girlfriend.........

I too thought Incredibles would have been unbelievable as a live action film. Out of all the the Pixar films this was crying out for a sequel.

Post #: 12
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 6/9/2012 6:57:13 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Agreed. The Incredibles proved without doubt that Pixar are capable of making poor films...

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 13
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 6/9/2012 7:15:46 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

...a Giant Spider!

Correction - a giant mechanical spider...

Even at 11 when I first saw that film, I immediately thought to myself "How is that thing working?"

Fuck it, make it a giant Polar Bear!

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 14
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 6/9/2012 7:16:51 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Agreed. The Incredibles proved without doubt that Pixar are capable of making poor films...

Even vad3r is going "too far..."

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 15
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 6/9/2012 7:21:28 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not a fan. Before Cars 2 (BC2) it was by far my least favourite of their films. I'd gladly watch Cars and A Bug's Life back to back every day for a week before I'd watch The Incredibles once.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 16
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 6/9/2012 7:24:51 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not a fan. Before Cars 2 (BC2) it was by far my least favourite of their films. I'd gladly watch Cars and A Bug's Life back to back every day for a week before I'd watch The Incredibles once.

Bizarre, but each to there own.

Post #: 17
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 6/9/2012 7:32:49 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

On repeat viewings it wasn't as good as I first thought but it's still really entertaining and action packed. I'd agree it's lower down the list of Pixar movies though.

Post #: 18
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 6/9/2012 7:35:16 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bizarre, but each to there own.

It's got some good gags in the first 20 minutes or so but after that I just tend to start clock watching. I find it absolutely unengaging, far too long and incredibly dull (these last 2 points tend to go hand in hand ).

Anyway, back on topic and I'd agree with AxlReznor that Max Shreck was a great villain created for film. I'm really not sure why he seems to be such a rare case though. I'd put forward Jared Nomak from Blade 2 as well. He may not have been a brilliant villain but he was servicable enough and provided a viable threat. In this case it probably helps that I was/am unfamiliar with Blade the comic book character.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 19
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 6/9/2012 7:36:16 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

UP is Pixars finest film.

Post #: 20
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 6/9/2012 7:39:38 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Up is certainly top tier Pixar but I'd have it behind Wall-E, Finding Nemo and Toy Story 2 personally (and just ahead of Monsters Inc.).

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 21
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 6/9/2012 7:44:16 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

UP is Pixars finest film.

UP is completely overrated - one of the duller Pixar efforts

Post #: 22
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 6/9/2012 7:44:43 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Up is certainly top tier Pixar but I'd have it behind Wall-E, Finding Nemo and Toy Story 2 personally (and just ahead of Monsters Inc.).

As stand alone films from Pixar go:
1.UP
2.Finding Nemo
3.Monsters Inc
4.Ratatouille
5.A Bugs Life

Edit: And before someone goe's mental at me for not mentioning Toy Story I see that as one big great trilogy.
But if I was to compile a 'top ten' then the Toy Story films will obviously take top billing.

And once again I've gone off topic.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 6/9/2012 7:54:37 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 7/9/2012 2:29:59 AM   
vad3r

Wall-E is Pixar's finest.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

Post #: 24
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 7/9/2012 2:54:57 AM   
Shifty Bench

My favourite Pixar films-

1. Monster's Inc
2. The Incredibles
3. Toy Story 2
4. Wall-E
5. A Bug's Life

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 25
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 7/9/2012 6:01:03 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I like how this has turned into a Pixar thread

1. Monsters, Inc
2. Toy Story
3. Ratatouille
4. Toy Story 3
5. Up

They're all great though. Even Cars 2!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 26
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 7/9/2012 11:01:41 AM   
Chief

My god, it's happened.

I knew eventually that even the most unrelated of threads in Movie Musings would result in a list of favourite Pixar movies.

The end is nigh.

Post #: 27
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 7/9/2012 3:45:24 PM   
fuzzy

Back on topic...

Raimi's reply to not getting a go at Spiderman (probably wrong there)...Darkman. Remember enjoying it quite a bit when it came out, haven't really given it too many watches since but the effects haven't aged well. The sequels with the Mummy dude were probably pants though.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 28
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 16/9/2012 5:51:23 PM   
Locog18

Eventually the studios will invent a new superhero for their next big franchise after the likes of Chronicle doing so well but I can see there being a huge fan backlash to try introduce a new villain to an already established superhero

"I will take what is mine with fire and blood"
Follow me on twitter

Post #: 29
RE: Is it time to start inventing new comic book villai... - 16/10/2012 12:59:52 AM   
Oddward

Would "Unbreakable" count as the studio inventing a brand new super-hero.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Shyamalan was planning to turn it into a superhero trilogy...

"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed."
- Stanley Kubrick

(in reply to Locog18)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Is it time to start inventing new comic book villains or even brand new superheroes? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI