LFF 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Awards and Festivals >> LFF 2012 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LFF 2012 - 5/9/2012 1:05:46 PM   
elab49

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/lff/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=47C17A39-8FAE-4C81-9A73-62F521E54F4D

Browsing these at the moment and there are so many I'd like to see. Mid-Oct is just too difficult for me sadly. Oddly the opening Gala - Frankenweenie - will also be broadcast on 30 screens across the UK.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 1
RE: LFF 2012 - 5/9/2012 3:09:28 PM   
MASH4077

I've given up trying to look at it online, I find the BFI website a real pain to use since they redesigned it. I'll wait for the printed programme to turn up... hopefully before booking opens!

The one thing I did spot is the new copy of Lawrence of Arabia, that looks tempting...

The Frankenweenie "gala" will be shown at various Cineworlds - LIST HERE

< Message edited by MASH4077 -- 5/9/2012 3:10:15 PM >

Don't go that way. NEVER go that way.

West End Map: http://goo.gl/maps/NQ0A8

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2
RE: LFF 2012 - 9/9/2012 2:39:51 PM   
Fit Kisto

Reasonable lineup but its not looking like a banner year. No shows for: The Grandmasters, Inside Lewellyn Davies, The Master or To The Wonder.

In the worth seeing column: Amour, Compliance, The Hunt, Beast of the Southern Wild, Rust and Bone.

Also it looks like they've dropped the staggered double screenings this year, I hope that doesn't mean that some people end up missing out.

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 3
ALL - 11/9/2012 3:32:11 AM   
homersimpson_esq

One day, I'll get to this, and it will be amazing.

Not because I'm there, though.

Though that too.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Fit Kisto)
Post #: 4
RE: ALL - 13/9/2012 10:09:44 AM   
MASH4077

Well, I am impressed, members booking opened at 09:30 and the BFI website, although slow, kept working, and I got my booking in

In the end I decided to limit it to one day and 3 films (Wolf Children, Ginger and Rosa, Rust and Bone - all on the first Saturday) - for a total of £49 [ouch].

"Gala" screenings are £25 and the opening/closing night films are £30 a ticket - I want to see Frankenweenie, but not that much!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 5
RE: LFF 2012 - 13/9/2012 11:21:43 AM   
Indio

Going to be in New York for most of the festival, so I'm going to miss out on most of the stuff on the programme that interested me (but I can see The Master and Seven Psychopaths while I'm over there, so swings and roundabouts and all that). I've booked to see End Of Watch and The Hunt, got to agree that the booking this year has been a lot better than previous years and its lottery of sending a cheque and hoping for the best.

< Message edited by Indio -- 13/9/2012 9:47:53 PM >

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 6
RE: LFF 2012 - 13/9/2012 4:36:03 PM   
Fit Kisto

A lot went early. Seven Psychopaths is sold out for all dates.

The secret screening is gone too. Its weird how some years no-one much wants to take a chance on that and then all of a sudden it becomes popular again. Do insiders get advance warning if its a good film or something?

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 7
RE: LFF 2012 - 13/9/2012 8:42:38 PM   
FilmFan123

Got Frankenweenie, Robot And Frank, Beasts Of The Southern Wild, No, Argo, Lawrence Of Arabia and End Of Watch. Couldn't get the surprise film or Seven Psychopaths though. I presume the surprise film went right away cause people are expecting it to be The Master.

(in reply to Fit Kisto)
Post #: 8
RE: LFF 2012 - 13/9/2012 9:47:05 PM   
Indio

Went back and booked for Quartet later in the day, it's probably a load of maudlin old cobblers but the fact I can go and see a gala performance without the aforementioned lottery of applying for tickets swung it for me - although knowing my luck there'll be no sign of Hoffman, Smith, Courtenay, Connelly and Gambon in attendance and the likes of Vanessa Feltz and Dale Winton will be the only 'stars' in attendance.

(in reply to FilmFan123)
Post #: 9
RE: LFF 2012 - 14/9/2012 1:56:22 PM   
Fit Kisto

quote:

ORIGINAL: FilmFan123

I presume the surprise film went right away cause people are expecting it to be The Master.

Seems like a fair bet. Lucky for the rest of us its out a few weeks later on Nov 9th.

(in reply to FilmFan123)
Post #: 10
RE: LFF 2012 - 19/9/2012 5:22:09 PM   
MASH4077

Just had an email from the BFI, they're releasing more tickets but not saying to what! (N.B. it's still members only booking at the moment)

"More tickets released at 12:00, Thursday 20 September

We’re delighted to announce a further release of tickets to a selection of Festival screenings. You're at the front of the queue for a chance to buy tickets to these highly anticipated screenings and gala events. Tickets are limited and we expect them to sell fast so login to My account online or call the Box Office on 020 7928 3232 from 12:00 tomorrow (Thursday)."

(in reply to Fit Kisto)
Post #: 11
RE: LFF 2012 - 19/9/2012 10:42:54 PM   
moontheloon

Just spent the last 90 minutes going through the films and I've only managed two thirds so far. Going to finish looking at them tomorrow and book tickets. Any recommendations? I've booked the week off work so I can hopefully see as much as I can afford (so not that much, but hopefully a good handful)

So far very interested in:

Argo
Room 237
Robot & Frank
Antiviral
No
Rust & Bone
You Aint Seen Nothing Yet
Villegas

Whether or not I'll go to all of them is another matter.

This is my first film festival too. So I don't really know what to expect.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 12
RE: LFF 2012 - 19/9/2012 10:56:11 PM   
adambatman82

I do the LFF every year, but am approaching it in a reduced capacity this year. So far I'm confirmed for Room 237, Laurence Anyways, The Hunt and Shell. Press screenings kick off next week, which is very exciting, even if it does mean that the whole thing lasts a whopping five weeks in total!

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 13
RE: LFF 2012 - 19/9/2012 11:04:18 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

Just spent the last 90 minutes going through the films and I've only managed two thirds so far. Going to finish looking at them tomorrow and book tickets. Any recommendations? I've booked the week off work so I can hopefully see as much as I can afford (so not that much, but hopefully a good handful)

Argo
Room 237
Robot & Frank
Antiviral
No
Rust & Bone
Villegas

If you have time issues then Room 237, Argo and Rust and Bone are all down for cinema releases just after - 26th Oct, 7th Nov, 2nd Nov.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 14
RE: LFF 2012 - 20/9/2012 12:16:23 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

Argo
Room 237
Robot & Frank
Antiviral
No
Rust & Bone
Villegas

If you have time issues then Room 237, Argo and Rust and Bone are all down for cinema releases just after - 26th Oct, 7th Nov, 2nd Nov.

That echoes my own approach. I'm purposefully avoiding anything with a release date prior to the end of November (bar Laurence Anyways).

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: LFF 2012 - 20/9/2012 12:19:50 PM   
MASH4077

As of now (12:19) there are still some seats for the Surprise Film left, if anyone's interested. Look for it on the last page of October 20th results, it's not in the alphabetical list!

EDIT: Not anymore (10 mins later). And Lawrence is sold out :(

< Message edited by MASH4077 -- 20/9/2012 12:29:29 PM >

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 16
RE: LFF 2012 - 20/9/2012 11:19:22 PM   
moontheloon

I've decided to make it a proper holiday for myself as I've got the week off work and all. I've just booked tickets for:

Blood
Beasts of the southern wild
The We & I
Wasteland
Robot & Frank
The Hunt
Antiviral
No
John Dies At The End
The Comedian
Journal De France
Villegas
A Liars Autobiography
The Central Park Five

Looking forward to it now. There's probably loads of amazing films that I am missing out on, but reading about the ones I'm going to they all sound interesting and what reviews there are of them seem to be very good so I have high hopes. Now I just have to hope that My step brothers floor has finished being fitted so I have somewhere to stay for the week.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

Post #: 17
RE: LFF 2012 - 26/9/2012 1:25:21 AM   
adambatman82

Just got back from two days of press screenings. Finished off today with The Hunt, which blew me away. I've been impressed with everything I've seen so far tho. Room 237 was great fun: absolutely bonkers, but great fun nonetheless.

Post #: 18
RE: LFF 2012 - 28/9/2012 10:25:22 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Just got back from two days of press screenings. Finished off today with The Hunt, which blew me away. I've been impressed with everything I've seen so far tho. Room 237 was great fun: absolutely bonkers, but great fun nonetheless.

I am stoked that one of my local cinemas is doing a double feature with Room 237 and the US Cut of The Shining in November. Tickets totally booked for that one! Glad to hear the hunt is good. Watched a few trailers for the others and getting quite excited now.

Post #: 19
RE: LFF 2012 - 15/10/2012 9:05:15 PM   
swordfishtrombone

This is a bit late notice, but if anyone is interested in 2 tickets for 'The perverts guide to ideology' on Sunday 21st I am unable to attend and I'd be happy to let them go for face value.

PM if you are interested.

Post #: 20
RE: LFF 2012 - 16/10/2012 6:56:02 PM   
Indio

Wasn't sure about the first 15 minutes or so of End Of Watch, in particular the found footage angle of it (which was more or less ignored by the end) but I have to say enjoyed it, I thought both Jake Gylenhall and Michael Pena gave great performances and had a great chemistry but it was thankfully not the Training Day clone I feared when reading about it before seeing it (not sure the head villain having the name Big Evil was so great/clever though )

Quartet last night was also enjoyable, not sure exactly why Dustin Hoffman chose to direct a film set in a British retirement home as a first feature but I really liked it, all of the cast performed well, and I thought Tom Courtenay did himself proud, I think he doesn't get enough praise in the press - also good to see Dustin Hoffman, Billy Connolly, Maggies Smith, Tom Courtenay and Pauline Collins in attendance too (I managed to walk by Hoffman, Connolly and Collins on the red carpet on the way in and act not too bothered about things, don't think me interrupting Dustin's interview with a film crew with a shout of 'Get the beers in!' or barging in for a picture/autograph would have impressed anyone

Have to say I felt a bit underwhelmed by The Hunt, it was well acted but I don't know, I just didn't feel that bothered about what happened by the end, yes the last scene (without going into spoilers) shows that the people aren't so keen to forgive and forget, but for a film that Thomas Vinterbueg (who was in attendance for the Q & A afterwards) was keen to say was based on real life evens, when you hear of people planning a lynch mob when they confuse a paediatrician with a paedophile the way things panned out seemed a bit mild mannered.

Post #: 21
RE: LFF 2012 - 20/10/2012 11:25:46 PM   
MASH4077

The surprise film this year was Silver Linings Playbook, and it was damn good

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Awards and Festivals >> LFF 2012 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI