Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - 4/9/2012 3:26:08 PM   
Rob

Firstly I can't find any posts of this so if there is apologies.

Has anyone read these books? I'm currently nearing the end of Book Three - The Dragon Reborn and really enjoying them but I do have a few questions.

EDIT: Spoilers below

Because I have very little will power I've been reading up about the world / characters on the Wheel of Time wiki. It's more of a skim read so I've avoided massive spoilers but it's also left me a bit confused.

In the first two books Rand fights Ba'alzamon but the wiki says that this is Ishmael (one of the forsaken) and not the Dark One himself. I thought Ishmael was the guy in the prologue who spoke to Lewis Therin. Have I got this totally wrong?

Also by clicking on random links I've ended up on a page about flying cars?!?! Have I missed something. I know the saga is about time, different eras and ages etc but for anyone that's read the books can they let me know if this should make sense yet?

< Message edited by Rob -- 4/9/2012 3:47:16 PM >

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.
Post #: 1
RE: Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - 4/9/2012 5:57:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

There are hints that the world before the breaking was highly advanced. Things like the portals being developed technology, Trollocs were the result of gentically modifcations etc and so on.

As for the Ishmael - he is one and the same. Jordon is pretty awful at constantly changing characters names and bringing them back to life. It is one of the reasons I gave up after book 9.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 2
RE: Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - 4/9/2012 6:38:57 PM   
sanchia

I have to admit I really enjoyed this series up to book five or so then it just got into the minutia too much and too many characters became involved and the whole thing ended up a tangled skein of plot lines and characters. just when you thought the plot was advancing something happened to drag it backwards three steps. A great shame Jordan died before finishing it but at the same time I doubt I was ever going to read the entire thing anyway.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - 12/9/2012 10:10:08 AM   
Rob

Thanks guys. Having now finished book three the Ishmael / Ba'alzamon thing was explained so my confusion was clearly due to my lack of patience!

Already started book four and still enjoying it. I have heard that the series slows down massively from about books 5 and that it stays that way until about book 9 which is slightly concerning but I've also heard that Sanderson's involvement in the project due to Jordan's passing has really reinvigorated the series.

Either way I'm going to press on until this is finished!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 4
RE: Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - 31/1/2013 1:38:08 PM   
Rob

Have just started book 5 and by all accounts this will be the first real test of my perseverance. I have to say it's quite daunting to think I've still got 10 books to get through.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 5
RE: Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - 29/7/2013 7:14:37 PM   
galvatron

I've recently finished them all. I've read them all since December and I loved them. A few of the middle books are a hard slog but it's worth it. There's a hell of a lot of great characters and great moments. Highly recommended.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 6
RE: Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - 2/8/2013 9:58:28 AM   
Drew_231

I remember reading these in school, at that stage it was up to about book 8 (Path Of Daggers??)

My friend and I used to joke about how Robert Jordan may die before finishing, leaving us with these huge cliffhangers, which sadly came true

Although we both gave up after Winters Heart (I think that's the title). The first four books were great, but I gradually lost interest after that.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 7
RE: Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - 2/8/2013 10:02:03 AM   
Rob

I'm actually having a bit of a break from them for a few books. I tend to read two in a row and then move on to something else. I finished book 6 a few months ago and whilst the ending was pretty exciting there was an inordinate amount of build up and scene setting which I think could have been dramatically edited. The finale was good but was over far too quickly and was, dare I say it, a bit muddled.

Anyway there's no turning back now!

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 8
RE: Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - 31/12/2013 5:11:46 AM   
ClarkeBenson

The Wheel of Time series is one of the best work of Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. It was finished by the latter and contains 14 novels. You absolutely have to read it!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 9
RE: Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - 28/2/2014 1:00:36 PM   
doug64

Everywhere you go there is always a Wheel of Time thread, it's a bit like gravity. You can't escape it. Anyway I echo Galvatron, round about book 8 or 9 it begins to be a effort to read them but picks up again about at about book 12.

If you are in to epic fantasy series I recommend Steven Erikson's Malazn Book of the Fallen

(in reply to ClarkeBenson)
Post #: 10
RE: Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - 5/3/2014 1:19:46 PM   
Rob

Finished Crown of Swords - book 7 last night. It took me two months which is a lot longer than it normally takes to finish one of these and I think that's pretty indicative of how I felt about it. It was hard going in places simply due to the fact that not an all lot happens for large chunks of the novel. When Jordan does get to the fun stuff he seems to rush through it as though he's most interested in setting the scene (often in excruciatingly dull detail) than the actual pay off.

(in reply to doug64)
Post #: 11
RE: Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - 6/3/2014 2:07:39 AM   
doug64

Jordan loved a bit of scene setting he did sometimes you new exactly how many braids Nynaeve had but no idea what the bigger picture was.

I had the problem of reading up to book 9 and then having to wait for each further book to be published. So when he starts chucking in characters I had not read about since book 5...

Confused doesn't do my mind set justice!!!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI