Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: 80s tv film remakes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: 80s tv film remakes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 6/9/2012 4:08:51 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I laughed at Cagney and Lacey but actually it would probably work if done right. If we're talking 80s cartoons then the following :

BATTLE OF THE PLANETS:

JAYCE AND WHEEL WARRIORS

And probably the one I would most like to see, greek myths in outer space ULYSSES 31

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 31
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 6/9/2012 4:21:52 PM   
Shifty Bench

Cagney and Lacey would totally work, if they cast the right women and make it serious. It'll probably be two stick-thin glamour-kittens that always get into wire-fu fights rather than actually solving crimes though.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 32
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 6/9/2012 4:24:29 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Cagney and Lacey would totally work, if they cast the right women and make it serious. It'll probably be two stick-thin glamour-kittens that always get into wire-fu fights rather than actually solving crimes though.

Ok let me take this one I would cast Sarah Michelle Geller and Christina Ricci think they would be about the right ages too They both can convince as tough inderpendent women but also know how to do comedy.

Post #: 33
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 6/9/2012 4:36:12 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I think Kristen Wiig would be great as Cagney

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 34
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 6/9/2012 4:52:47 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

Ok let me take this one I would cast Sarah Michelle Geller and Christina Ricci think they would be about the right ages too They both can convince as tough inderpendent women but also know how to do comedy.

Hell, with those two why not just reboot the TV show?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Then it'll probably just be a comedy like the Starsky and Hutch movie was

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 35
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 7/9/2012 3:56:37 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yup. And it would be awful - much like that was. I agree that TV is the best platform for a C&L remake - but just can't see it getting beyond a first series. 2 female detectives was a refreshing change in the 80s - it just wouldn't have the appeal now I think.

Still think it had one of the best theme tunes and opening credits montage though!

Post #: 36
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 7/9/2012 8:47:24 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy
Yup. And it would be awful - much like that was. I agree that TV is the best platform for a C&L remake - but just can't see it getting beyond a first series. 2 female detectives was a refreshing change in the 80s - it just wouldn't have the appeal now I think.

Maybe, Charlie's Angels failed as a rebooted TV series but that was a piece of shit. Given the correct leads and good scripts, it may work.

quote:

Still think it had one of the best theme tunes and opening credits montage though!

Oh, I fucking love the C&L theme tune- click (this was the second one, the first one was bad but that season and Meg Foster as Cagney, too)

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 37
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 8/9/2012 2:04:30 AM   
horribleives

I'd love to see a faithful (ie english) film version of Worzel Gummidge.
And, speaking of Charlotte Coleman, an x-rated update of Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit would be fucking mint too.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 38
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 8/9/2012 7:40:49 AM   
Dirk Miggler

I still hold hopes for a Thundercats film.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 39
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 8/9/2012 7:34:43 PM   
chewbacasnapsak

Grange Hill, the Zammo drug story deserves the big screen treatment.
Jonah Hill for Roland
I only want to be your friend RoLand

"who'd pay a million dollars to have me killed"
"jealous husbands, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors...the list is endless"

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 40
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 8/9/2012 9:08:23 PM   
musht

I'd love to see the BBC have another go at a Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy series. The original wasn't great and only lasted one season. Mitchell and Webb as Dent and Prefect and Fry as the book!! MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to chewbacasnapsak)
Post #: 41
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 9/9/2012 11:38:45 AM   
spark1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

there were a lot of laughs in C&L tv eps so it would not be so bad if it was played as a comedy like 'jump street'.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 42
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 9/9/2012 12:12:39 PM   
MonsterCat

Did someone say Kristen Wiig?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 43
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 9/9/2012 6:47:19 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1
there were a lot of laughs in C&L tv eps so it would not be so bad if it was played as a comedy like 'jump street'.

But there is a difference between having comedic moments in a TV cop drama and making it a comedy film. I am well aware there were laughs in C&L but it was still, at times, a gritty show about female cops. It had some tough story lines about rape, child abuse, drugs/alcohol abuse etc just like the Starsky and Hutch show did and look at what they did with that.

I appreciate that looking back at some of those shows, they seem a bit camp by today's standards but why does that have to equate comedy today? Why does 'nostalgia' have to equal 'tongue in cheek'? Especially when there is potential for a serious film about two female cops, one of which is also a family woman. I think that sort of thing is still important today.

I dread to think what would be done with a show like Hill Street Blues in this day and age, I really do.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 44
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 11/9/2012 12:02:56 AM   
horribleives

I'd love to see an Incredible Hulk series that ignored the comics/Avengers films and instead drew its inspiration the '70s/'80s series - ie calling our protagonist David not Bruce and having the big guy played by a bodybuilder painted green.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 45
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 11/9/2012 12:03:40 AM   
horribleives

I'd love to see an Incredible Hulk tv show that ignored the comics/Avengers films and instead drew its inspiration the '70s/'80s series - ie calling our protagonist David not Bruce and having the big guy played by a bodybuilder painted green.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 11/9/2012 12:04:07 AM >

Post #: 46
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 11/9/2012 1:24:57 PM   
spark1

quote:

quote:

But there is a difference between having comedic moments in a TV cop drama and making it a comedy film. I am well aware there were laughs in C&L but it was still, at times, a gritty show about female cops. It had some tough story lines about rape, child abuse, drugs/alcohol abuse etc just like the Starsky and Hutch show did and look at what they did with that.

I appreciate that looking back at some of those shows, they seem a bit camp by today's standards but why does that have to equate comedy today? Why does 'nostalgia' have to equal 'tongue in cheek'? Especially when there is potential for a serious film about two female cops, one of which is also a family woman. I think that sort of thing is still important today.

I dread to think what would be done with a show like Hill Street Blues in this day and age, I really do.

true, C&L deserves same respect as 'star trek' if it makes jump to big screen.
trouble is success of 'jump street' will have an effect on any future tv to movie project.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 12/9/2012 10:14:01 AM >

Post #: 47
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 12/9/2012 12:46:26 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I'd love to see an Incredible Hulk tv show that ignored the comics/Avengers films and instead drew its inspiration the '70s/'80s series - ie calling our protagonist David not Bruce and having the big guy played by a bodybuilder painted green.

Personally, I'd just stick to the original series then - it's great.

A new series, apart from a few nods and winks, would be a totally different beast so to speak. I'm not a fan of doing alternative TV versions to the current cinema continuity - especially with Hulk. That's 3 Banners and 3 different looking Hulks in 9 years - to coin an American phrase... enough already!

Post #: 48
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 12/9/2012 2:44:47 PM   
spark1

if they can try to make a film out of 'battleship' then how about 'the crystal maze' or 'adventure game'?

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 49
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 12/9/2012 2:46:43 PM   
spark1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Personally, I'd just stick to the original series then - it's great.

A new series, apart from a few nods and winks, would be a totally different beast so to speak. I'm not a fan of doing alternative TV versions to the current cinema continuity - especially with Hulk. That's 3 Banners and 3 different looking Hulks in 9 years - to coin an American phrase... enough already!

but the recent norton, ruffalo versions of hulk already owe a lot to the tv show.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 50
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 12/9/2012 2:54:24 PM   
musht

quote:

if they can try to make a film out of 'battleship' then how about 'the crystal maze' or 'adventure game'?

YES!!! Easily my favourite game show as a child, throw in a bit more threat where the contestants are forced to play the game by some crazed meglomaniac (a la saw but without the gore make it a bit more Indiana Jones/James Bond adventure) and you may as well take my money now

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 51
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 14/9/2012 1:40:35 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Personally I really like Wiig and think she could be good in C&L but I am sticking with SMG and Ricci.

If they did Crystal Maze as a modern day Mad Max then it may not be too bad, it can't work of course, but sod it I loved the show and it can't be worse than Battle Ship.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 52
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 18/9/2012 7:58:05 AM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwozTheRevenge

Automan and Manimal please

And as if by magic...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58389

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 53
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 18/9/2012 10:22:26 AM   
spark1

quote:

quote:

Automan and Manimal please

And as if by magic...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58389

you say it here, it comes out there as albert brooks once said.

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 54
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 18/9/2012 1:05:30 PM   
greg 69

It has to be either Thundercats, Airwolf and Dangermouse

Post #: 55
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 18/9/2012 2:06:12 PM   
spark1

was going to say 'alien nation' but 'district 9' already covered that theme.

(in reply to greg 69)
Post #: 56
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 19/9/2012 8:21:08 AM   
jobloffski

Wasn't Alien Nation a film first, then a TV spin-off anyway...briefly Googles...Wikipedia:

"Alien Nation is a 1988 American science fiction film directed by Graham Baker and produced by Gale Anne Hurd, Richard Kobritz and Bill Borden. The storyline was based on a screenplay written by Rockne S. O'Bannon. It stars James Caan, Mandy Patinkin, Terence Stamp, and Kevyn Major Howard. The film depicts the integration of aliens settling in Los Angeles, much to the dismay of the local population. The film's plot is a science fiction variation on the buddy cop genre.

The filmmakers also introduced some sociological ideas, such as the effects of illegal immigration, discrimination and racism as the aliens try to interact and fit in with human society. The aliens have enlarged spotty craniums, two hearts, can consume only raw food and are sensitive to seawater which acts like an acid on their skin. Over the course of the film, their slavery past is alluded to as they are genetically modified for slave labor."

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 57
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 19/9/2012 8:37:38 AM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah, I have a soft spot for the Alien Nation movie, Patinkin is awesome.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 58
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 19/9/2012 9:14:57 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

I'd love to see the BBC have another go at a Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy series. The original wasn't great and only lasted one season.

Nonsense, the original series is excellent.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 59
RE: 80s tv film remakes - 19/9/2012 12:14:54 PM   
grucl

Does anybody remember a series called "Misfits of science"?

It ran only for 6 episodes or so but it was good.

I'm amazed nobody tried to reboot it with all the superhero movies coming out.

< Message edited by grucl -- 19/9/2012 12:16:37 PM >

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: 80s tv film remakes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI