Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to th... - 9/9/2012 10:43:14 AM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Rob C: Mark II!

I'm confused, I thought this was a thread talking about the Nolan Batman films

Funnily enough that's exactly what I thought. I'm still amazed at the money made by The Dark Knight. Don't get me wrong I personally think it's a great film but I didn't think it would have the mass appeal with cinema audiences that it did.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 31
RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to th... - 9/9/2012 7:06:02 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

I think it's fab, agreed... as with Inception, it's high proof you can make a big blockbuster that doesn't play dumb with the audience and treats them intelligently and does it's own thing and still make big money

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 32
RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to th... - 9/9/2012 7:34:02 PM   
Biggus

quote:

I think it's fab, agreed... as with Inception, it's high proof you can make a big blockbuster that doesn't play dumb with the audience and treats them intelligently and does it's own thing and still make big money

It's kinda reassuring.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

Post #: 33
RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to th... - 9/9/2012 8:24:28 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

I'm pretty much chomping at the bit now to see what Nolan does next (Man of Steel of course, looks interesting)

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 34
RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to th... - 9/9/2012 8:34:59 PM   
Biggus

quote:

I'm pretty much chomping at the bit now to see what Nolan does next (Man of Steel of course, looks interesting)

Champing. Excuse my pedantry.

Post #: 35
RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to th... - 10/9/2012 10:15:41 AM   
sharkboy

Never mind The Crow, just look to either Ghost World or Road to Perdition to see comic book movies that managed to touch base with both their readers and the uninitiated.  Both faithful adaptations and both critically acclaimed.

I'd love to see a Transmetropolitan movie that stayed true to Warren Ellis's vision, but I'd imagine that any version that saw the light would be so heavily influenced by the studio that we'd never see the real Spider Jerusalem or what his bowel disruptor gun can do to a Republican presidential candidate when it is set to "prolapse"

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 36
RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to th... - 10/9/2012 11:00:47 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

What comic book movie/ story would you like to see made which caters for comic book reading fans and does not focus on the studio bottom line and need to suck in the uninitiated?

Didn't The Crow already manage this?

I thought Blade done pretty well as well?

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 37
RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to th... - 10/9/2012 11:07:16 AM   
MonsterCat

And A History of Violence.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 38
RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to th... - 10/9/2012 12:05:39 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

The Harvey Pekar story: American Splendor
One of my favorite films and easily one of my favorite Illustrators and writers.

I would love to see more Indie-pendant comics get a more wider audience and if that is through the other medium of Film then its always an option.
We've had Scott Pilgrim,Kick-Ass,Road To Perdition and History Of Violence to name but a few bring great succes in both the comic-book world and film-world.

Deep down I would love to see a Robert Crumb film,and maybe some others including works by Tim Barela,Junji Ito,Jeff Smith,Seth and some more works adapted from Hellboy writer/artist Mike Mignolla.

But there is certainly alot of originality in the Comic-Book medium and,clearly,the studio's know this.

EDIT: Brian Azzarello's 100 Bullets would make a great potential tv series.

EDIT: But there is the other side of the coin and that is: Why should Comic books be made into Films?
The main reason comic-books are created is because they are worked into that medium AND because they wanted to be worked into them,and by the case of Alan Moores Watchmen,From Hell it is obvious to see that they are Un-filmable and in my opinion that's a good thing.

Theres some comic books that can get into other mediums such as the ones noted above.And they're comic books with the sole intention of being made into films,which I think is a sad indictment personally to the medium they were originally created in ie it feels as-if they're cheating it.

So there is certainly some case's for for and against.

Me,well I'm open to them being made into Films but I do love the writers/artists saying "no,my book is made for the comic-book medium and comic book medium only!".

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 13/9/2012 2:40:37 PM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI