Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 12:28:02 PM   
spark1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/sep/01/best-film-directors-world-2012

only one thing for it- FIGHT!!!!!!
Post #: 1
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:03:14 PM   
vad3r

That is actually one of the worst lists I've ever seen in my life.

For starters, Lynne Ramsay is the second best director in the world having only made We Need to Talk About Kevin??

Fincher at only number 17??

No Aronofsky?? Wes Anderson? Coens? Eastwood? Lynch? Del Toro? Cronenberg? How do they not make the list and Gareth Edwards does?!

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 2
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:09:52 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

For starters, Lynne Ramsay is the second best director in the world having only made We Need to Talk About Kevin??

She's made more than one flick. Her placement in the list is possibly predicated on quality not quantity.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 1/9/2012 1:10:17 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 3
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:14:06 PM   
DancingClown

The article states that the list is based on directors who are currently 'hot' as opposed to the best ever.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 4
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:14:41 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

She's made more than one flick. Her placement in the list is possibly predicated on quality not quantity.

Do you agree that she is the second best director in the world and with the rest of list.

I've also just noticed that according to The Guardian, Gareth Edwards > Martin Scorcese (who doesn't even make the list). And people give The Daily Mail shit...

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 5
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:19:07 PM   
elab49

Before it goes to the obvious criticisms, it's best to note again Dancing Clown's very pertinent point above - it's not best directors ever, it's directors exciting them this year.

Assuming they're in a tiny island in one small circle of the world and ignore everything outside it. American, British, Danish, French - and Herzog. It's not exactly evidence of much of a range really. Just the films they've seen at festivals over the last couple of months or are about to plus a couple to make themselves seem less art-house. Festivals that ignore most of the world, obviously.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 6
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:21:28 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Do you agree that she is the second best director in the world and with the rest of list.

I can't say. Haven't seen any of her films yet.

Also: What Dancing Clown said.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 7
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:26:55 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

I've also just noticed that according to The Guardian, Gareth Edwards > Martin Scorcese (who doesn't even make the list). And people give The Daily Mail shit...

Martin Scorsese is not very exciting anymore, that's why.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 8
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:27:33 PM   
vad3r

Gareth Edwards has made only one film in his entire career and that was Monsters back in 2010. His next film is Godzilla in 2014. How does that make him better qualified to make a list of the hottest/most exciting directors this year?

Wes Anderson - Moonrise Kingdom (2012). One of the very best and most acclaimed films of the year. No inclusion on the list.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 1/9/2012 1:28:05 PM >

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:31:39 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

He made Hugo in 2011. One of the very best and most acclaimed films of that year. Gareth Edwards made Monsters in 2010. Scorcese has two upcoming films next year. Edwards doesn't have one until 2014.

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 10
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:32:00 PM   
elab49

quote:

But who are the auteurs that are exciting us in 2012?

This does not require an actual release this year.

HOWEVER - Evans did turn up at ComicCon with stuff on Godzilla and excited a lot of people.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 11
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:37:02 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

quote:

He made Hugo in 2011. One of the very best and most acclaimed films of that year. Gareth Edwards made Monsters in 2010. Scorcese has two upcoming films next year. Edwards doesn't have one until 2014.

Were you really excited about Hugo? Or Scorsese's next films, really? The whole point of the list is that the directors who are exciting RIGHT NOW. The idea of Godzilla remade by the guy who did Monsters could be quite exciting. Some decent films from an ageing master are nice, but are they exciting?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 12
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:38:48 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Some decent films from an ageing master are nice, but are they exciting?

To a hardcore Scorsese fanatic, sure.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 13
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:39:33 PM   
impqueen

What DC, Elab and Rhubarb said.

Ramsay has made three superb films Ratcatcher (1999), Morvern Callar (2002) and We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) she in my opinion is a brilliant director and I look forward to her apparent next feature which is apparently Moby Dick in Space.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 1/9/2012 1:40:00 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 14
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:47:50 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

I dunno. There are plenty of old film directors I am a fan of - let's say Woody Allen. I'll go and see his newest in the first week and I'm looking forward to it (especially as its supposed to be at least half-decent), but I can see that a new film by Woody Allen in 2012 is not as exciting as a new film by Woody Allen in 1982.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 15
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:49:46 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Were you really excited about Hugo? Or Scorsese's next films, really? The whole point of the list is that the directors who are exciting RIGHT NOW. The idea of Godzilla remade by the guy who did Monsters could be quite exciting. Some decent films from an ageing master are nice, but are they exciting?

I wasn't excited about Hugo when I heard of it (Scorcese+kids film+3D = WTF etc) but it turned out great because he is a/the master.
Does The Wolf of Wall Street sound exciting? Not really. Does Silence? Maybe (Scorcese + 17th century Japan sounds interesting). Will they turn out to be some of the best films of 2013? Most definitely.

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 16
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:54:39 PM   
elab49

They don't sound exciting but I'm still annoyed that even though they don't sound exciting they don't result in the director appearing on a list of currently exciting 

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 17
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 1:58:02 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

quote:

I dunno. There are plenty of old film directors I am a fan of - let's say Woody Allen. I'll go and see his newest in the first week and I'm looking forward to it (especially as its supposed to be at least half-decent), but I can see that a new film by Woody Allen in 2012 is not as exciting as a new film by Woody Allen in 1982.

Midnight in Paris? Came out in 2011 and is easily just as good as anything he made in 1982. Overall his recent work is pretty poor but every now and again he shows the old Woody isn't dead.

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 18
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 2:01:33 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

They don't sound exciting but I'm still annoyed that even though they don't sound exciting they don't result in the director appearing on a list of currently exciting 

Bingo.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 2:04:08 PM   
vad3r

Joss Whedon at number 4. I can live with that, his best work is as a writer and in TV. All is forgiven Guardian.

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 20
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 6:41:17 PM   
Harry Tuttle

That's an alright list actually. It's a bit mental that there's no room for Sarah Polley on it yet there is for JJ Abrams but apart from that there's not much to grumble about outside of the insane omission of Wes Anderson.

So yeah, I'd have Anderson and Polley in it, otherwise it's an interesting list.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 21
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 1/9/2012 7:11:49 PM   
UTB

I think this is supposed to be 23 exciting directors rather than the top 23 in order...

Anyway, its a good list. Also: Andrea Arnold on Number 73? Mind = blown.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 22
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 2/9/2012 1:57:51 AM   
Whistler

It's a good list of directors, but yes, there are several names missing. Anyway I never read The Guardian regarding films, they never like anything.

< Message edited by Whistler -- 2/9/2012 1:58:38 AM >

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 23
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 4/9/2012 12:29:11 PM   
ElephantBoy

Its a good list, the first half I agree with a little more than the second but mostly I think there is a good mix in there and to me it does represent many of the most exciting filmakers right now. Am a bit lost on elab's point, so because they have not included a broad range of countries it means that the list of directors and their films are not deverse? Doesn't quite follow for me.

1. Paul Thomas Anderson - Agree. Boogie Nights and Magnolia are maserpieces, he is yet to make a bad film and has a rare a distective style matched by few.

2. Lynne Ramsay - Agree.
3. Nicolas Winding Refn - Agree. Althrough not all of his films have been to my taste, Drive was one of the best films of last year and the sort of thriller you don't see very often now.

4. Joss Whedon - Agree. The work he has done with Cabin in the Woods and Avengers has made him revelvent again not to mention his past TV work.

5. Lars Von Trier - Disagree. He is one of the most important indie director but I find his work too hit and miss.
6. Jason Reitman - Disagree. At his best (Juno, Young Adult) he relies too much on Diablo Cody's scripts and while I enjoyed both Thank You For Smoking and Up in the Air I just remain unconvinced that he is that good yet.

7. Steve Mcqueen - Agree. Still find Hunger a bit overated but it is good and Shame was one of the films of this year.
8. Leos Carax - Not sure.
9. Edgar Wright - Disagree. Loved his comedy work with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but SPVTW was awful.
10. Andrea Arnold - Agree. Was not so keen on her Wuthering Heights (this was more down to casting mind) however Red Road and Fish Tank were both excellent and she is shapeing up to be the new Mike Leigh.

11. Steven Soderbergh - Disagree. I like his work on the whole but I don't he is as consistant as he was.
12. Quentin Tarantino - Disagree.
13. Lena Dunham - Not sure. Have not seen any of her films.
14. Christopher Nolan - Agree. Should be higher of course.
15. Jacques Audiard - Agree.
16. J.J. Abrams - Not sure. One of the better blockbuster directors but I need to see more of him.
17. David Fincher - Agree. See Nolan.
18. Werner Herzog - Agree.
19. Ben Wheatley - Disagree. Its old news but I was not as blown away with Kill List as others.
20. Mia Hansen-Love - Agree. On the basis of Father of My Children yes.
21. Gaper Noe - Not sure.
22. Terrence Malick - Agree. Even with its flaws The Tree of Life was unlike most cinematic experiences you will have, and we know about the greatness of his early films.

23. Gareth Edwards - Not sure. Not seen Monsters.

Directors I would have included: Nicole Holofcener, Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Celine Sciamma, Jia Zhangke and Alexander Payne.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 24
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 4/9/2012 12:31:44 PM   
elab49

So if you saw an org saying their list was a greatest 100 films ever made and each and every one was American you wouldn't say that was a valid point that could be made? 

quote:

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 25
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 4/9/2012 12:40:56 PM   
ElephantBoy

^Of course I would but that is not the same for so many reasons. Also you seem to be asumming that the Guardian (or whoever came up with the list) has some kind of agenda rather than it is a list based purely on what the believe.

Oh and I forgot Aronfsky would have him too.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 4/9/2012 12:47:23 PM   
elab49

No, I'm not assuming an agenda and nothing I said implied I did. I'm commenting on a limitation, which I believe it essentially the same. 

quote:

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 27
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 4/9/2012 1:17:17 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

What!!,no M.BAY!!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 4/9/2012 1:30:16 PM   
vad3r

I've made my feelings clear on this list, but no Wes Anderson, Darren Aronofsky or Martin Scorcese is laughable.

quote:

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 29
RE: Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World - 4/9/2012 1:45:32 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Personally I'm not really bothered by lists anymore,as at the end of the day its just someone else's opinion,much like here.
But I do like the cries on the comment section of "what!,you get paid for this?!!" blah blah blah,yep very original criticism there

opinions,opinions,opinions.

The M.Bay reply was a joke btw.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 4/9/2012 3:17:57 PM >

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Guardian Top 25 Directors in The World Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI