Judgment Night (1993)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Judgment Night (1993) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Judgment Night (1993) - 30/8/2012 2:30:09 PM   
Phubbs

Back when Dennis Leary wasn't really well known (to me at least) he made quite the intimidating bad guy in this semi decent thriller. Since then he became much bigger and for me this menacing image faded somewhat. He was no longer some random psycho but a famous face on a comedy sitcom.

Other cast members include the once big time thing Emilio Estevez, Cuba Gooding Jr who seems to fade in and out of the limelight, Stephen Dorff who also tends to have a roller coaster career and Jeremy Piven who is one of these actors I dunno what genre he belongs in, but he can't do any.

The film is simply about a group of regular guys that get lost when they stray off the highway in their RV. They end up witnessing a murder and having the killers on their tales trying to whack them.

Simple yet effective, or it can be, and this just about does the trick. Its a bit weird though frankly, the area they get lost in seems to be an almost deserted ghost town with not a living sole on the streets or any cars what so ever. You'd be forgiven for thinking they have strolled into some kind of alternative dimension and the film is a fantasy of sorts.

The film is tense in spots but not really that worrying, you know nothing will happen to most of these guys and obviously all the bad guys will bite the dust. The film looks pretty good though, very dark, bleak, heavy shadows, empty abandoned looking buildings everywhere and plenty of trash blowing in the wind. Its just really odd that the good guys are completely unable to get themselves out of this nasty area haha all they gotta do is follow a main road surely.

I suppose you could call it artistic license huh the lifeless streets and area. Hopkins certainly does a good job on the visuals and manages to make a reasonable thriller despite casting Gooding in a lead role. A nice sensible turn on 'The Warriors' if you like but its quite tame now and the ending for Leary's character is weak.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 30/8/2012 2:33:38 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Judgment Night (1993) - 30/8/2012 2:42:55 PM   
Void Indigo

Denis Leary was great in JUDGEMENT NIGHT. I used to be a huge fan of his 'No Cure For Cancer' show too.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 2
RE: Judgment Night (1993) - 30/8/2012 3:55:02 PM   
jonson

Yeah, an OK film, but the soundtrack is the best thing about it.
Collaborations between Helmet and House of Pain, Teenage Fanclub and De la Soul, Sonic Youth and Cypress Hill, as well as Dinosaur Jnr, Run DMC, Mudhoney, Slayer etc, as a grunge kid at the time it was the soundtrack of the summer.
In fact, I might go off any buy it again now.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Void Indigo)
Post #: 3
RE: Judgment Night (1993) - 30/8/2012 5:51:18 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Yeah, an OK film, but the soundtrack is the best thing about it.
Collaborations between Helmet and House of Pain, Teenage Fanclub and De la Soul, Sonic Youth and Cypress Hill, as well as Dinosaur Jnr, Run DMC, Mudhoney, Slayer etc, as a grunge kid at the time it was the soundtrack of the summer.
In fact, I might go off any buy it again now.

I've still got it on CD, the sound track is actually a bit of a classic due to the pure number of interesting collaborations on it most of which actually come off to produce a decent track.

I've got vague memories of the film though

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4
RE: Judgment Night (1993) - 30/8/2012 6:31:44 PM   
chris kilby

D'you know, I still haven't seen this. I've had the soundtrack since it came out (1993? Blimey!) but have never managed to catch the film - an urban Deliverance or Southern Comfort perhaps? I was kicking myself just the other week there cos it was on and I hadn't checked the listings.

(There's gotta be a thread to be had out of soundtracks that are more popular than the films themselves/owned by people who haven't seen the film. The Blues Brothers, perhaps...?)

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 5
RE: Judgment Night (1993) - 30/8/2012 6:36:07 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Void Indigo

Denis Leary was great in JUDGEMENT NIGHT. I used to be a huge fan of his 'No Cure For Cancer' show too.

No Cure For Cancer actually had me rolling about on the floor clutching my sides in pain while blinded by tears the first time I saw it, it was so funny: "You don't need a two hour movie about Jim Morrison. I can sum him up for you in 5 seconds. 'I'm drunk, I'm nobody. I'm drunk, I'm famous. I'm drunk, I'm fuckin' dead!'"

(in reply to Void Indigo)
Post #: 6
RE: Judgment Night (1993) - 31/8/2012 7:52:30 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

D'you know, I still haven't seen this. I've had the soundtrack since it came out (1993? Blimey!) but have never managed to catch the film - an urban Deliverance or Southern Comfort perhaps? I was kicking myself just the other week there cos it was on and I hadn't checked the listings.

I must admit to not having seen the film now since it's early video release. It was pretty shit if I remember rightly, way surpassed by the soundtrack.

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby
(There's gotta be a thread to be had out of soundtracks that are more popular than the films themselves/owned by people who haven't seen the film. The Blues Brothers, perhaps...?)

I am a big fan of the Blues Brothers film, as a film/soundtrack collaboration, I'd put it up there at Number 1 personally (just ahead of Grease). I can't think of many films where the s/t is massively superior than the film, perhaps I'll re-watch Judgment Night and that could well be it

Not sure what the biggest selling soundtracks are, maybe those connected to a Number 1 song (Dirty Dancing, Titanic, Robin Hood) which I wouldn't necessarily include in this list (I'm thinking more a soundtrack consists of 10 songs by individual/the same artists rather than "1 pop song and a film score")
Purple Rain? (I love Prince but not a fan of the film) Pulp Fiction? (great film, great soundtrack)

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 7
RE: Judgment Night (1993) - 1/9/2012 12:20:30 AM   
chris kilby

I just burned a CD for the car of my own "redux" version of The Blues Brothers OST featuring all the stuff that wasn't on the album - John Lee Hooker, Sam & Dave (not to be confused with Chas 'n' Dave!) and audio rips off the DVD of the stuff I couldn't find elsewhere, including samples. The 40 minute album is now 80 mins. Sad I know, but I was on a mission from God!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Judgment Night (1993) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI