Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 10:09:23 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

With The Girl Who Waited, am I the only one who didn't really care? I just didn't get the dilemma

SPOILERS FOR THE GIRL WHO WAITED

One of them Rory loved and had grown up with. One of them was a much older version he didn't really know. I get that he's a nurse and very caring, but it was an Amy he didn't know against the one he loved.

I didn't see it that way. For one thing, older Amy was still disturbingly close to 'real' Amy - I think it's completely plausible that Rory still saw her as the woman he loved.

But the real dilemma for me was something much simpler - older Amy wanted to live, but had to accept that she couldn't. That's what I found moving about the episode.

Yeah - that was what got me.

And the fact that older Amy still hadn't given up on Rory - she still loved him, despite being stuck in that place for so long.

My problem is that I don't think she's a good enough actress to sell it.

quote:

You should have written the ending.

So often the case.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 31/8/2012 10:10:16 AM >

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 31
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 10:33:07 AM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

PRETTY BIG SPOILERS HERE

2. Never Let Me Go – Tommy’s Outburst.

After trying for so long to defer their ‘donation’ by proving to their former teachers through art and relationships that clones can love and therefore have a soul, Tommy and Kathy discover there is no such thing, and they will still be used for donation and die once they ‘complete.’ Billy has been a fairly subdued chap throughout the film so far so to see him completely lose it in such a devastating fashion is very very affecting. Andrew Garfield sells the pain and anger and frustration so well before the tears come (his, not mine. Mine have already arrived), and the resigned to his fate face he has in the next scene, laying on the hospital bed for what will be his final donation, makes it so much worse.

Yeah this pretty much broke me. I thought at the time it was because of personal things that were going on in my life not that the film was actually good and was doing a good job of getting me emotional. Reading this now, perhaps it was actually the latter.

Either way, I probably won't watch it ever again.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 32
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 10:49:24 AM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

quote:

With The Girl Who Waited, am I the only one who didn't really care? I just didn't get the dilemma

One of them Rory loved and had grown up with. One of them was a much older version he didn't really know. I get that he's a nurse and very caring, but it was an Amy he didn't know against the one he loved.

I didn't see it that way. For one thing, older Amy was still disturbingly close to 'real' Amy - I think it's completely plausible that Rory still saw her as the woman he loved.

Yeah, but with 100 years of aging. Once he knows real Amy is still around then surely it'd be a case of "Piss off, granny"?

Who knows what floats Rory's boat?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 33
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 10:56:21 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, but with 100 years of aging. Once he knows real Amy is still around then surely it'd be a case of "Piss off, granny"?

Stagnant Pond water?

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 34
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 12:15:15 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

quote:

Stagnant Pond water?

Pond scum? (Sorry)

Anyway,

4. A Shared Moment, Chasing Amy

This is a film I love, and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but my favourite moment is this little wordless exchange between Banky (not a tracer) and Holden. A little callback to an earlier conversation; it lets the viewer know that even though they'll probably not ever be friends again after what happened, they're both happy that the other has moved on with their respective lives. And Banky's little 'she's over there' nod is just lovely as well.

5. Do It For Her

Yeah...destroys me. And I don't even have kids. No doubt it'll do even more damage when I do. This one had me holding back the tears (as I was in a room with some ui mates the first time I saw it) until I was alone and then I gurned like a baby.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 35
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 12:19:23 PM   
MonsterCat

I must be made of stone because Never Let Me Go completely failed to engage me on any level.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 36
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 12:19:31 PM   
MovieAddict247

Great choice with that Simpsons episode.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 37
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 12:34:10 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Can the Simpsons ever be a great choice?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 38
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 12:40:29 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

You've not watched a SINGLE episode outside of the FIRST season of The Simpsons and make a comment like that. Wow. Just wow.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 39
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 1:09:15 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

5. Do It For Her

Yeah...destroys me. And I don't even have kids. No doubt it'll do even more damage when I do. This one had me holding back the tears (as I was in a room with some ui mates the first time I saw it) until I was alone and then I gurned like a baby.

Great pick.

Also,

quote:

That's so Gimli!

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 40
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 2:12:58 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, that Simpsons episode is a heartbreaker.

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 41
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 2:46:51 PM   
impqueen

quote:

5. Do It For Her

Yep.

Yes, always.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 42
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 6:53:27 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

quote:

You've not watched a SINGLE episode outside of the FIRST season of The Simpsons and make a comment like that. Wow. Just wow.

It was in jest you know!

And I've seen most of S2. The Raven segment of Treehouse of Horror is brilliant.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 43
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 7:31:47 PM   
directorscut

The Toy Story scene is great but my biggest Pixar tearjerkering moments are Sulley saying goodbye to Boo and Spencer Tracey looking through his wife's scrapbook in Up (that one had at least three good welling up moments. I had a really sore throat after that movie).

The biggest one from The Simpsons is when Homer talks to Bart and Lisa before his heart operation.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 44
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 31/8/2012 7:54:54 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

quote:

It was in jest you know!

And I've seen most of S2. The Raven segment of Treehouse of Horror is brilliant.

Son of Gloin, PLEASE watch S4-5. It is scientifically impossible to dislike S4-5 of The Simpsons.

quote:

Post #: 45
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 2/9/2012 11:04:43 PM   
chambanzi

Great choices thus far.
For me I just have one choice

Don't tell me what I can't do

Post #: 46
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 3/9/2012 1:18:06 AM   
vad3r

^

Great choice.

quote:

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 47
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 3/9/2012 2:03:44 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

4. A Shared Moment, Chasing Amy

This is a film I love, and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but my favourite moment is this little wordless exchange between Banky (not a tracer) and Holden. A little callback to an earlier conversation; it lets the viewer know that even though they'll probably not ever be friends again after what happened, they're both happy that the other has moved on with their respective lives. And Banky's little 'she's over there' nod is just lovely as well.

5. Do It For Her

Double yes. Especially Do It For Her, that even made my Dad choke up a tad when he first saw it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

The Toy Story scene is great but my biggest Pixar tearjerkering moments are Sulley saying goodbye to Boo and Spencer Tracey looking through his wife's scrapbook in Up (that one had at least three good welling up moments. I had a really sore throat after that movie).

The biggest one from The Simpsons is when Homer talks to Bart and Lisa before his heart operation.

And yes to all of this! But I'd say the ending to Mother Simpson would rival it.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 3/9/2012 2:04:47 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 48
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 4/9/2012 12:08:50 PM   
jcthefirst

6. Walter and Astrid

Again, like the Buffy episode earlier, this is not the greatest Fringe episode, but it's the first instance of Walter making me cry. Walter and Astrid had been out in Chinatown investigating something...Fringe-y, but they get seperated and the people who want to continue the Fringey-ness catch Astrid and rough her up a bit. Later on, Walter see Astrid back at the lab, and she got cuts and bruises on her face, and Walter's face crumples, and so does hers.

And so does mine.

It's a great little scene and you can really feel the loving relationship between the two. Even if he never gets her name right.

< Message edited by jcthefirst -- 4/9/2012 12:11:03 PM >

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 49
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 4/9/2012 6:11:26 PM   
MartinBlank76

Great idea for a list and some excellent choices especially never let me go.

I tend to cry on demand at many a tv show and film so too many to choose from so I will mention my most recent which was today during Deep Impact.

SPOILERS FOR DEEP IMPACT

The astronauts saying goodbye to their families near the end. It kinda caught me by surprise that it got me going, think it was blind ron eldard choking up over the fact his kid that he will never see was holding a rocket while saying goodbye to him. He is going to be an astronaut just like his dad was...if they survive armageddon that is.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 50
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 7/9/2012 4:27:28 PM   
jcthefirst

7. The ending of Super

I can't find the picture I want for this, but I'll try to explain it as best I can. After becoming the Crimson Bolt to essentially get his wife back, and following a rather absurd plot to get us to that point, the film ends on a very human note. Despite spending so much time and effort to get Sarah back, she and Frank were only together for a little while after he rescued her, and then she moved on. It's that Frank isn't angry or bitter about this that really makes it stand out. He accepts that it's just the way of life. And the pictures he receives from Sarah's children calling him 'Uncle Frank' just tips me over the edge.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 51
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 7/9/2012 5:38:49 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

That's a good pick.

Much more better!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 52
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 7/9/2012 6:14:11 PM   
jiraffejustin

I think I might be tearing up just going through this thread. Good choices. I really like the SUPER scene too.

Post #: 53
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 11/9/2012 4:09:18 PM   
jcthefirst

8. "Except maybe I wouldn't have named our son Elvis."

"Amid the chaos of that day, when all I could hear was the thunder of gunshots, and all I could smell was the violence in the air, I look back and am amazed that my thoughts were so clear and true, that three words went through my mind endlessly, repeating themselves like a broken record: you're so cool, you're so cool, you're so cool. And sometimes Clarence asks me what I would have done if he had died, if that bullet had been two inches more to the left. To this, I always smile, as if I'm not going to satisfy him with a response. But I always do. I tell him of how I would want to die, but that the anguish and the want of death would fade like the stars at dawn, and that things would be much as they are now. Perhaps. Except maybe I wouldn't have named our son Elvis."

That last line makes me tear up so much. With happiness, I mean. But still, tears. Floods.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to jiraffejustin)
Post #: 54
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 5/11/2012 9:19:11 PM   
matty_b

Lack of updates on this thread makes me cry.

quote:

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 55
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 21/11/2012 5:06:17 PM   
jcthefirst

Flip. I totally forgot about this. I hardly ever come into here on my daily forum jaunts and had forgotten I'd started it. I'll get back to it promptly.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 56
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 21/11/2012 5:18:31 PM   
matty_b

You'd better, otherwise -

quote:

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 57
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 21/12/2012 1:36:52 PM   
jcthefirst

9. Not Penny's Boat, Through the Looking Glass, Lost, 2007 (Fuck, really?)

Ah, Charlie. Your junkie subplot may have been annoying to the point of wishing you dead several times, but your relationship with Claire and her little boy made me love you. This moment may be as manipulative as Lost ever got, but boy does it work. Using the last of his energy to pass on a message to Desmond, Charlie's last act gets him a pass on everything stupid and annoying he did on the island.

See you in another life, brotha.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 58
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 21/12/2012 1:40:21 PM   
jcthefirst

10. The Luck of the Fryish, Futurama, 2001

A cartoon, FFS!

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 59
RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers - 21/12/2012 2:43:04 PM   
matty_b

That is a great moment from Lost. Like you, hated Charlie for much of it, but that ending for him...wow.

quote:

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI