Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

10 Films To See Before Pacific Rim

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> 10 Films To See Before Pacific Rim Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10 Films To See Before Pacific Rim - 30/8/2012 1:31:06 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
No Gamera? - 30/8/2012 1:31:07 PM   
Toxin

Really thought you would mention Gamera: Guardian of the Universe. Pure classic

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
What about the Anime influence, Empire? - 30/8/2012 2:26:03 PM   
Nicky C

Surely, Pacific Rim also has a flavour of animes such as Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rah Xephon, Gun Buster and the like? There's a whole genre of robots vs. monsters. Also, Weta did some preliminary artwork for a Neon Genesis film about 5-7 years ago, didn't they?

Obviously, GDT's story will be his own (because he's unique and awesome and tekkers) but there have been people that have wanted to do something like this for a while.

So glad Guillermo's the one to finally do it!

Post #: 3
- 31/8/2012 11:05:43 AM   
DanTDavies

no mention of Robot Jocks? Classic 80's featuring giant robots punching each other in a cold war stylee?

Post #: 4
And anime? - 1/9/2012 12:02:23 AM   
HighwayJoe

Del Toro is Mexican. He's just a tad bit older than me. So my educated guess is that he very likely grew up with the likes of Mazinger Z, Kotetsu Jeeg, Gaiking, and other anime mecha series that aired as part of 'El Festival de los Robots' ('Robot Festival') throughout the late 70s and 80s. I think these shows must have been an inspiration for this movie, alongside other anime mentioned here in the comments (such as Evangelion), and--of course--the Gundam franchise.

Post #: 5
Forgot the 80s - 3/9/2012 11:10:04 AM   
antsdavies

I echo DanTDavies (11.05)

Robot-Jox was a film I watched when I was a pre-teen, and it was the first film that sprang to mind when I heard the meagre plot details of del Toro's Pacific Rim.

I think an Empire article should be forthcoming on this, um, "classic" (it's available on Netflix).

Post #: 6
Not Entirely Without Merit - 4/9/2012 6:32:35 PM   
Litshttam

Think what you will of the Emmerich re-make, Patrick Tatopoulos' re-design of Gojira is fantastic - and that's Shere Khan's mandible, don't you know.

Post #: 7
Not the correct list - 6/3/2013 3:49:30 PM   
guusebumps

Oh, this is not even the correct list of movies to see before Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim. This is an entirely another list, more suitable for introduction of movies like Rolland Emmerich's Godzilla. For Pacific Rim, you should do a list of animes like Mazinger Z, Voltus V, God Sigma, Gundam, Patlabor, and especially Neon Genesis Evangelion. You may even add Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Those ARE the correct list of introduction to Pacific Rim. The one who wrote this article clearly didn't know what he/she was talking about and clearly not an anime mecha vs monster fan.

< Message edited by guusebumps -- 6/3/2013 3:54:33 PM >

Post #: 8
Not the correct list - 6/3/2013 3:55:31 PM   
guusebumps

Oh, this is not even the correct list of movies to see before Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim. This is an entirely another list, more suitable for introduction of movies like Rolland Emmerich's Godzilla. For Pacific Rim, you should do a list of animes like Mazinger Z, Voltus V, God Sigma, Gundam, Patlabor, and especially Neon Genesis Evangelion. You may even add Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Those ARE the correct list of introduction to Pacific Rim.

Post #: 9
Robot Jox - 22/5/2013 3:58:33 PM   
robmanley78

Totally agree! Robotjox & Crash & Burn must be huge influences for Del Toro!
I'm there is even sequences in the Pacific Rim trailer straight out of RobotJox!!
Fist Palm Clench!

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> 10 Films To See Before Pacific Rim Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI