Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Do You Remember The First Time...?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 31/8/2012 12:42:03 AM   
great_badir

Disney's Jungle Book at our local fleapit, when it had a re-release in '82. It was my dad's favourite film of all time, and at 3 years of age it's one of my earliest memories full stop, not just of film. My dad was a bit of a film buff too, so it's thanks to him I've become the abhorrent supergeek I am now. A good portion of my growing up was basically sitting down with him to watch films. He didn't always make the best moral choices (I watched Chinatown and The Battle of Algiers with him when I was WAY too young, really), but that trip to see Jungle Book was a defining moment in my film going career.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 61
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 31/8/2012 2:11:45 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir
(I watched Chinatown and The Battle of Algiers with him when I was WAY too young, really)

Did you like them? Did you feel anger at the violence unleashed on the civilians of Algiers?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 62
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 31/8/2012 7:31:44 AM   
great_badir

To be honest, I had no idea what was going on in Chinatown, but I did like all the cool cars and thought that Jack Nicholson (I didn't really know who he was at the time, of course) really got his nose slashed.

True story - I walked in when my dad was watching Battle of Algiers on BBC2 and I honestly thought it was the news or a documentary, it seemed that realistic (obviously my statement above RE Jack's nose shows I was, perhaps, not the best realism yardstick).

< Message edited by great_badir -- 31/8/2012 7:32:25 AM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 63
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 31/8/2012 7:42:00 AM   
jonson

Star Trek the Motion Picture, in 1979.
I was 6, I was bored and it was shit. It still is.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 64
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 31/8/2012 8:03:33 AM   
great_badir

So you're not really as old as we all think jonson?

...unless that was a typo and you were 16. If so, tut - a 16 year old should know better. And for shame opting to see Star Trek when you hadn't even seen Jaws at that point

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 65
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 31/8/2012 8:16:58 AM   
jonson

No, it wasn't a typo I was only 6 in 1979.
I remember my Mum and Dad coming back from seeing Jaws, my Mum was terrified it was one of my earliest memories, I must have been the re-release though as I would have only been 2 and a half.

Post #: 66
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 31/8/2012 8:34:05 AM   
SwozTheRevenge

Temple Of Doom in some fleapit in Isle Of Wight.
Definitely had the heart-rip scene in it too, shit me up no end. I was only 5 :(

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 67
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 31/8/2012 12:40:00 PM   
horribleives

Funnily enough I just had a debate about this with my mam the other day - I really wanted it to be ET but she insists it was a re-release of Bedknobs & Broomsticks a few months earlier. Gutted.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 68
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 31/8/2012 5:37:49 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

I recall vaguely seeing Rescuers Down Under, so it's probably the one

Otherwise most likely Jungle Book or Aladdin

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 69
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 31/8/2012 7:04:30 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Jurassic Park is the first one I can actually remember, but I cant say for certain. I'll go with that.

Actually might have been Hook. Pushing the long term memory a lot here though.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 70
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 31/8/2012 7:06:40 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I have an awful feeling it might have been The Care Bears Movie. Either that or Bambi during it's re-release.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 71
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 31/8/2012 8:07:20 PM   
Hotlips

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I have an awful feeling it might have been The Care Bears Movie. Either that or Bambi during it's re-release.

Nothing wrong with The Care Bears - I have many fond memories of them from when I was a young 'un

Honey Badger don't care, Honey Badger don't give a shit

I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 72
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 1/9/2012 9:20:35 PM   
Dr Lenera

Supeman The Movie, I was seven and enjoyed it but remember vividly thinking that the 'turn back time' climaxc was somehow 'wrong'. A couple of months later mum and dad took me to a re-release of Jaws. They'd seen number two and thought it was pretty harmless, so thought they'd take me to number one. I screamed at the head in the water and was scared for much of the time, but didn't leave though!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Hotlips)
Post #: 73
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 10/9/2012 2:03:27 PM   
denise123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotlips

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Nothing wrong with The Care Bears - I have many fond memories of them from when I was a young 'un

I adored the Care Bears Movie as a kid and for some reason I liked professor Coldheart...... besides it was much better than the My Little Pony films......... trust me!
My first cinematic experience as a kid that I can really remember is Back to the future part 3. We were on holiday in Butlins in Wales and it was showing every night for several days straight and I used to look forward to watching it again, I would always see something new in each scene and had more and more respect for the work that goes into making a movie and a scene.

(in reply to Hotlips)
Post #: 74
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 10/9/2012 2:32:46 PM   
Bloke from Oz

1977 - I was about 4 at the time. I saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Airport '77, The Spy Who Loved Me and Star Wars.

However, I probably didn't become a genuine film buff until Ghostbusters and Back to the Future came along.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to denise123)
Post #: 75
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 10/9/2012 3:17:51 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwozTheRevenge

Definitely had the heart-rip scene in it too, shit me up no end. I was only 5 :(

All versions have the heart-rip scene, it was just trimmed down when it was released over here

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 76
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 10/9/2012 3:35:27 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwozTheRevenge

All versions have the heart-rip scene, it was just trimmed down when it was released over here

I seee

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 77
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 10/9/2012 3:47:58 PM   
Shifty Bench

Our version has the dude touch the victim's chest then cut to something else then back to dude hloding the bloody heart.

The US version has this- click

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 78
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 10/9/2012 4:14:57 PM   
AxlReznor

Went to the cinema to see The Rescuers Down Under only to find that the cinema had stopped showing it. Ended up seeing Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure instead.
Pretty sure I didn't go to the cinema again until the release of Jurassic Park.

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 10/9/2012 4:19:28 PM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 79
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 10/9/2012 4:40:54 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Our version has the dude touch the victim's chest then cut to something else then back to dude hloding the bloody heart.

What a way to go.

Post #: 80
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 10/9/2012 9:44:03 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Time Bandits - John Cleese's Robin Hood and 'the green head' stood out for me! I remember being terrified by him - ''give me the map'' god I love that film....

Star Wars; Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, I wasn't born when Star Wars first came out, so my earliest memories are via watching it on T.V. But thats where my love of Star Wars started! I still remember being awed by the speeder bike chase in Jedi!

I remember watching a lot of Clint Eastwood film's too - I remember vividly Clint climbing a mountain, or some rocky terrain and a hot woman bared her *ahem* assets...i think that was the first time in my life I saw a woman topless!

Other film's which standout in my childhood are the Bond films - and Indian Jones. The melting Nazi face gave me nightmares! As did that decapitated head in Jaws! My mum talks about it even today, how I used to wake up screaming at night - that was some real traumatic shit right there!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 10/9/2012 9:52:05 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 81
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 11/9/2012 8:58:34 PM   
boaby

Transformers.

The proper one. With Hot Rod. It was ace. Still is. So there.

Next ones I can remember after that are Roger Rabbit and Back to the Future III.

I can't ever remember going to the cinema as a child with my parents. Only my aunt doing her Godmother bit and my youngest uncle solidifying his status as "cool". He took me to first away game too. Pity he's all yuppified now. Sigh.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 82
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 11/9/2012 9:15:21 PM   
Charles B. Potatoes

Condorman!!! I was a 4 year old Some Mothers Do 'ave 'em fan so my mum decided to take me to a fleapit ABC cinema in Liverpool (Don't look for it, it's not there any more....)

Can't remember what film had me hooked on films though!

If you ask me Skywalker was bloody lucky to turn off his guidance system.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 83
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 12/9/2012 8:26:35 AM   
jonson

quote:

Thanks Shifty. Despite being first in line in the queue at the cinema, and watching that film about 50 times, I have NEVER seen that clip before. I didn't even know it existed!!

Post #: 84
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 15/9/2012 10:59:07 AM   
chris kilby

You'll finally be able to see Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in all its uncut gory - I mean glory - when it's finally released on bluray later this year, I think. It's been available on R1 DVD for years and it actually is shockingly violent for a summer "kids'" film. It's not just the notorious heart-ripping/immolation scene which was trimmed. A lot of the action was too - I always wondered why the music seemed so choppy during the obligatory Pat Roach punch-up!

Top movie, BTW - you only have to look at underwhelming Matrix and Pirates sequels to see just how satisfying this was at the time. Not the best Indiana Jones film, but it is the funniest. And it was different - I've always loved the delightfully unexpected Busby Berkley dance number at the start (when's Spielberg gonna do a musical?) Even the cute kid isn't all that annoying. And Kate Capshaw is, like, totally underrated. A terrific light-comedienne, how she wasn't Meg Ryan before Meg Ryan has always amazed me. (I think the fans hated her guts- and her screaming - cos deep down they know that's just how they'd have reacted if confronted by giant bugs and the like. I know I would!)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 19/9/2012 11:52:32 PM >

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 85
RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? - 16/9/2012 7:40:07 PM   
paul_lfc

quote:

quote:

Jurassic Park is the first one I can actually remember, but I cant say for certain. I'll go with that.

Actually might have been Hook. Pushing the long term memory a lot here though.

Hook was 2 years before so it was probably that.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 86
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Do You Remember The First Time...? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI