Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow On You?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow On You? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow On You? - 29/8/2012 9:43:30 PM   
chris kilby

Some films are instant favourites, instant classics. Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders, or more recently, Gladiator and The Dark Knight, sometimes I just know in the first five minutes that I'm going to love a movie.

But some films take longer to filter through your taste glands. The Big Lebowski and Zodiac are favourites of mine yet the first time I saw them I thought they were OK and, truth be told, a bit disappointing. I don't know, being a big Coen Brothers and Fincher fan, maybe my expectations were too high and initial disappointment was inevitable. Maybe some films take a bit more time and effort. Cos Lebowski and Zodiac just seem to get better with each successive viewing and only the very best films do that - Performance, A Matter of Life and Death, Blade Runner...

Indeed, The Big Lebowski is that rarest thing of all - a comedy which gets funnier each I watch it. I really can't think of another comedy that does that... Well, maybe This Is Spinal Tap. But I would say that all these films have fresh layers and hidden depths still to be discovered each time I watch them.

So are the very "best" films the ones which grow on you? Is it like that bit in Twelve Monkeys where Bruce Willis remarks that Vertigo is still the same film he saw as a child but he has changed? My favourite movie of all time is Performance. And I HATED it the first time I saw it. Even though I liked, co-director, Nicholas Roeg's other films. Maybe I wasn't tuned in to it. Maybe I wasn't in the mood. Maybe I was just too young to appreciate it fully. I was re-introduced to it years later by friends and loved it. So maybe a combo of peer pressure, booze and spliffs had something to do with it. Bein' ripped oot ma tits certainly made Roadhouse a more pleasurable experience the first time round but it ain't no classic! A camp classic, maybe.

Do you have a favourite film you were maybe a bit lukewarm about the first time you saw it? If so, what happened, do you think? Did the film change? Or did you? Alternately, are there any films you have fallen out of love with? I loved Face/Off at the time and totally agreed with EMPIRE's five star, "Best-Action-Movie-Since-Die Hard" assessment. Yet I bought it again recently on DVD for a few quid and it was all a bit meh. Maybe I'm just getting old...
Post #: 1
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 29/8/2012 9:49:09 PM   
elab49

I'd say no. How it got to your current place in your affections has no impact on whether it's better than a film you liked first time IMO. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 2
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 29/8/2012 10:02:43 PM   
MonsterCat

Some of my favourites are films that didn't necessarily click with me on the first viewing.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is probably my fourth or third fave of all time, but when I first saw it on VHS I really didn't like it, and as a die-hard Peakie I felt it was too dark, violent and lacking in the off-kilter humor that made the show so special. Tonally it is very much the polar opposite of the show.

Basically I was a narrow minded numb nuts when I was 16.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 29/8/2012 10:03:52 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 29/8/2012 10:07:31 PM   
chris kilby

That's interesting. I didn't like Twin Peaks at all. Too self-consciously "quirky" for my liking. Yet I really enjoyed Fire Walk With Me. Probably because it was "darker..."

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 4
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 29/8/2012 10:09:16 PM   
Rgirvan44

The Twin Peaks tv series goes way darker than even the movie. The second season in particular has a moment which is more powerful than anything in FWWE (which I do like a lot)

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 5
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 29/8/2012 10:12:33 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

That's interesting. I didn't like Twin Peaks at all. Too self-consciously "quirky" for my liking. Yet I really enjoyed Fire Walk With Me. Probably because it was "darker..."

Yeah, I think that's a problem most people have with anything that's Lynch related.

To each their own. I get that viewpoint.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 29/8/2012 10:16:13 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 6
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 29/8/2012 10:14:15 PM   
gunstar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

The Twin Peaks tv series goes way darker than even the movie. The second season in particular has a moment which is more powerful than anything in FWWE (which I do like a lot)

Just out of interest, which moment was that?

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 7
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 29/8/2012 10:17:37 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

quote:

When we find out who the killer is.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 8
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 29/8/2012 10:23:24 PM   
MonsterCat

^
This. And that emotional punch at the end of the episode is something that never fails to make me well up. A gracefully done bit of television.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 9
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 29/8/2012 10:24:34 PM   
gunstar

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

quote:

When we find out who the killer is.

Yep, that was pretty powerful stuff right there. Man, I loved that series. And FWWM. Even though both scared the shit out of me.

In fact, (getting back on topic) Many Lynch films are ones that I first watch with initial bemusement, but after repeated viewings I begin to appreciate the ideas and artistry that they often contain.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 10
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 29/8/2012 10:42:46 PM   
adambatman82

A recent Criticwire survey dealt with this question funnily enough, and I really struggled to come up with a response. The closest thing I could think of was The Magnificent Ambersons, which was a film I was hugely disappointed with the first time I saw it in my teens. When I rewatched it years later, full of the knowledge of the context within which the existing cut of the film plays out it placed the film in a completely different light for me, and now I enjoy it very much.

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 11
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 30/8/2012 1:31:37 AM   
chris kilby

With The Final Cut (I hope) of Blade Runner, The Richard Donner Cut of Superman II, the newly restored version of Metropolis (stunning on bluray) and even the workprint of Alien3 and (vastly improved) Director's Cut of Highlander II of all things finally available, me and a mate were earnestly discussing what Holy Grails of the cinema (hopefully) remained to be rediscovered some day. And we both agreed that the Directors' Cuts of The Keep and The Magnificent Ambersons were top of that list.

(Don't laugh, but I'd still like to see Directors' Cuts Judge Dredd and The Avengers - the Ralph Fiennes/Uma Thurman one - both of which were clearly butchered by panicking studios who, fearing they had disasters on their hands, guaranteed that they did.)

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 12
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 30/8/2012 4:13:25 AM   
BigBreakfast

I don't think the movies that have to grow on you are necessarily the best movies. I think just about every movie that I consider to be on my list of best films were movies that I loved the first time I saw them, and would have been willing to watch it again the second it ended. The most recent films I felt that way about were The Dark Knight and Inception.

I do believe that something can be said about a film having the ability to grow on you though. Sometimes a plot can be so intricate that it can take a few viewings to get a true understanding of the movie. Or there can be minor details in films that you didn't catch before that may make you look at the film differently when you re-watch it. There are other times though, when you watch a film and over time you realize that it wasn't as good as you once thought it was. I have experienced both of those scenarios.

Post #: 13
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 1/9/2012 12:53:21 AM   
rich

No the best ones are always good any time

Meanwhile...

(in reply to BigBreakfast)
Post #: 14
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 1/9/2012 2:45:57 AM   
chris kilby

What, you have never changed your mind about a film? Up or down? Surely some films are "acquired tastes"? It's easier to appreciate 2001, say, as an adult than as a child, I'd have thought.

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 1/9/2012 2:47:45 AM >

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 15
RE: Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow O... - 1/9/2012 10:48:07 AM   
Hotlips

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigBreakfast

I think just about every movie that I consider to be on my list of best films were movies that I loved the first time I saw them, and would have been willing to watch it again the second it ended.

That's the case for me too. There are certainly some films I have re-watched and enjoyed more the second time but they wouldn't really go on my best/favourite list as they didn't really wow me to start with. On the other hand, there are films I watched when I was younger, like Titanic, that I thought were great when I went to see them with school friends but would never really consider watching now as I don't think they're that great at all. Valentine was another such film.Terrible really.

Honey Badger don't care, Honey Badger don't give a shit

I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain.

(in reply to BigBreakfast)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Are The "Best" Films The Ones That Grow On You? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI