Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

New Downey Jr. Avengers Doc Clip Arrives

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> New Downey Jr. Avengers Doc Clip Arrives Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Downey Jr. Avengers Doc Clip Arrives - 28/8/2012 4:01:07 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 28/8/2012 4:30:27 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kmadden2004

Is anybody else here a little pissed off that the UK DVD and blu-ray release isn't getting Joss Whedon's director's commentary? Seriously, I'm surprised nobody at Empire has brought this up, given the army of Whedonites that it employs (Helen, our champion, are you there?)...

The UK releases for Avengers are a total mess. There's a thread over in DVD discussion if you want to know more. However, if you want the Whedon commentary, buy your DVD or BD at Tesco, because their versions have it while nobody else's does. However, Sainsburys BD has a 90min documentary that nobody else has either. Go figure!
Post #: 2
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 28/8/2012 5:20:50 PM   
Kmadden2004

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

quote:

Is anybody else here a little pissed off that the UK DVD and blu-ray release isn't getting Joss Whedon's director's commentary? Seriously, I'm surprised nobody at Empire has brought this up, given the army of Whedonites that it employs (Helen, our champion, are you there?)...

The UK releases for Avengers are a total mess. There's a thread over in DVD discussion if you want to know more. However, if you want the Whedon commentary, buy your DVD or BD at Tesco, because their versions have it while nobody else's does. However, Sainsburys BD has a 90min documentary that nobody else has either. Go figure!

Call em a cynic, but I get the feeling Tesco has just mislabelled their product description. In order for a DVD or blu-ray to be sold in the UK, all the special features need to be assessed by the BBFC (since the certificate on the front cover is representative of the disc's content, not just the film), and the BBFC has made no mention of Joss's commentary.

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 3
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 28/8/2012 7:19:50 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Call em a cynic, but I get the feeling Tesco has just mislabelled their product description. In order for a DVD or blu-ray to be sold in the UK, all the special features need to be assessed by the BBFC (since the certificate on the front cover is representative of the disc's content, not just the film), and the BBFC has made no mention of Joss's commentary.

You know, that's a very good point! Checked BBFC (and I'm sure you did too) and there's no mention of a JW commentary for Avengers. The plot thickens...

EDIT: Did some more digging online. It seems that if you want the commentary, you need to get your hands on a US version, because apparently nowhere in Europe is getting it. General consensus is that the Target version is the most comprehensive in terms of special features, but they don't ship outside the US. However, other online retailers can get that version and ship it here.

< Message edited by BelfastBoy -- 28/8/2012 7:51:17 PM >

(in reply to Kmadden2004)
Post #: 4
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 28/8/2012 7:48:23 PM   
UTB

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You know, that's a very good point! Checked BBFC (and I'm sure you did too) and there's no mention of a JW commentary for Avengers. The plot thickens...

There's also no mention of the Sainsbury's exclusive doc either on the bbfc site... that I can find.

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 5
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 28/8/2012 7:57:50 PM   
BelfastBoy

UTB, this is the link on BBFC to the 90min doc:

www.bbfc.co.uk/AVV291961/

For what it's worth, I've seen it and it's entertaining enough, but not particularly in-depth for any of the films. Each of the Marvel films gets roughly 10-15min each, so it's a collection of featurettes rather than a unified whole. (It's easily found online in 'the usual sorts of places'.) Avengers is crying out for a feature-length 'making of' but it doesn't get one here. Expect a double-dip at some point in the near future...

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 6
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 28/8/2012 8:00:41 PM   
UTB

Aha! I take it back then!

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 7
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 28/8/2012 8:22:22 PM   
Kmadden2004

I just wonder why nobody's really making a big fuss out of this? I mean, if we - the fans who spend our money on these products - complain, we just come off as entitled little kids and get ignored. Why haven't any of the big publications, like Empire or Total Film actually called Disney out for selling what are essentially inferior products over here?

Gah, sorry, I'm going into rant territory now. It just pisses me off that crap like this only seems to happen to us, and we're never actually told why...

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 8
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 29/8/2012 12:21:21 AM   
xzynomorpher

You guys do know you can just order it from the US, right?

Sure its a slight extra shipping charge but still...

Post #: 9
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 29/8/2012 1:46:45 AM   
Kmadden2004

quote:

ORIGINAL: xzynomorpher

Apparently the US blu-ray is going to be region locked, so that might not be an option...

(in reply to xzynomorpher)
Post #: 10
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 29/8/2012 11:12:17 AM   
elab49

Empire have tweeted that Disney said the commentary was recorded too late for the UK release. Which sounds slightly bollocks timewise tbh.

Maybe people that interested in commentaries are also the type to have multi-region Blu Ray players?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 11
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 29/8/2012 12:53:53 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: xzynomorpher

Point is surely that nobody should ever have to, or feel obliged to, order from a territory other than where they live. Therefore, the likes of Disney should get their act together and actually give everyone the same special features, whether or DVD or BD, rather than faffing about with retailer exclusives, steelbooks etc. If nothing else, there'd be a lot less piracy. The studios have got to be deluded if they think that people are going to buy multiple versions of the same film just for special features. In the case of Avengers, the bulk of the extras are already online, in HD quality. I'm sure someone will rip the commentary and make it available as an audio file at some point as well.

(in reply to xzynomorpher)
Post #: 12
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 29/8/2012 1:02:47 PM   
elab49

I'm not sure piracy is driven by extra features - is it?

Anyway, it sucks but it won't change. 'no plans' for a further release will change as soon as they get the upfront cash for this release. Then the all-spangles release will be issued forcing those who care about this stuff to double-dip. Capitalist scum is capitalist scum.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 13
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 29/8/2012 1:08:07 PM   
Cool Breeze

Im not bothered about extra features anymore really.I just want the film.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 29/8/2012 1:47:44 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'm not sure piracy is driven by extra features - is it?

Put it this way, I don't like admitting this, but I did download all the BluRay Avengers special features via a torrenting site. In my defence, I fully intend to buy the film when it comes out, but since I can't afford to upgrade to Bluray, I'll be buying on DVD. Therefore, my only means of seeing the vast majority of these special features is to download them.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 29/8/2012 1:56:22 PM   
elab49

I mean generally though. Most DL or torrent sites are just the films not extras. I doubt this helps, but I'm not sure you'd see many people like yourself who DL just DL extras and nothing else.?

quote:

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 16
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 29/8/2012 3:10:31 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I mean generally though. Most DL or torrent sites are just the films not extras. I doubt this helps, but I'm not sure you'd see many people like yourself who DL just DL extras and nothing else.?

On the general point, you're entirely correct. I'm not convinced that the vast majority of film-buyers are that interested in special features, and so are likely to pick up whatever version of a film happens to be on sale in Asda, Tesco etc when they're doing their shopping. It's also unusual to find special features online on the download sites. (In any case, for Avengers, Disney / Paramount seem to be releasing most of them to Youtube anyway!)

Personally, I'm loathe even to double dip, let alone buy multiple versions of the same film. It's for the same reason I'd never fall into the trap of being a completist / collector who would buy multiple copies of Empire to get all the covers for special editions that are occasionally produced! The content of the magazine is the same, and the film will be the same. Since most people just want the film, that's what they'll buy. As a finance-constrained DVD loyalist, I've grown to accept reduced / no special features on my releases, but it's nice to see something like Hunger Games that doesn't seem to differentiate between the formats.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17
RE: Still on the fence about buying it... - 29/8/2012 3:16:53 PM   
elab49

It's a pity really that it isn't something you can show loyalty to those who do it well really since it's down to individual films you buy not a company thing. 

quote:

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> New Downey Jr. Avengers Doc Clip Arrives Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI