Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Tears of cheesy joy - TAKE HEED Spoilers for random films abound. Enter at your peril.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Tears of cheesy joy - TAKE HEED Spoilers for random films abound. Enter at your peril. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tears of cheesy joy - TAKE HEED Spoilers for random fil... - 27/8/2012 6:17:18 PM   
mclane1

just watched Armageddon. Cried like a child, chessy as hell but christ i swear that movie was forged in the very bowels of joy.
say what you want about micheal Bay , i normally do, but when it comes to uplifting cheese thats a top movie. as is the end of the Island.

anyhoo I have reached a time in my life when i say lets put aside petty squabbles about whether a film is too mainstream, to sugar coated and too glossy and lets embrace some good old fashioned cheesy upliftingness.

please recommend your cheesyest man cry movies so that I may further cry and smile at the same time.

oh and other ones that do it for me- the presidents speach in independence day! I know! you hate me already! nic cage and the bunny in con air, the end of Overboard, most bits in crimson tide, real steel! i know!

but strangely not return of the king which is an example of when cheese goes too far for too long, which is also a good topic!

< Message edited by elab49 -- 27/8/2012 7:11:25 PM >

If the cash is there, we do not care.
Post #: 1
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 6:28:35 PM   
chris kilby

Och, I cry at the drop of a hat at the movies. The cheesier/more shamelessly manipulative the better. Armageddon, ID4, Titanic, The Dark Knight Rises, even (I am ashamed to sadmit) Rocky. Though not, curiously, The Return of the King. So you are not alone on that score. Misery loves company, as they say...

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 27/8/2012 6:30:56 PM >

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 2
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 6:40:33 PM   
mclane1

oh yes, all rocky, except 5. and for each one its a double man cry for the training montage and the last 2 rounds of the fight! oh and the midlle round where he starts to get hammered.

spoiler: DKR climing out of the prison, sobbed

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 3
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:01:03 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

oh yes, all rocky, except 5. and for each one its a double man cry for the training montage and the last 2 rounds of the fight! oh and the midlle round where he starts to get hammered.

** SPOILERS! ** (Apparently...)

It was Batman's last words to Gordon and Alfred's last line that did it for me. (Gordon's voiceover at the end of TDK always makes me well-up too, as does "It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." "Bruce...?" in Batman Begins. * sniff *)

When I went to see Rocky V, one guy at the back of the cinema (who clearly had cheered through all four previous Rockys) went: "YEA-" at the end and stopped dead when the rest of the cinema spectacularly failed to join in cheering. For a split second there was THE MOST AWKWARD SILENCE EVER IN THE HISTORY OF AWKWARD SILENCES before the entire auditorium erupted in laughter, jeers and shouts of "Ha, ha, ya prick!" Etc. I expect that poor sod was crying too by the end of it. I'm still cringing now at the thought of it and that was 20 years ago!

How the mighty Stallone had fallen since the heady days of Rocky IV. Oh well, that's showbiz...

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 27/8/2012 7:08:41 PM >

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 4
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:01:11 PM   
DancingClown

Can you warn of your spoilers a bit more prominently than that you clueless berk?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 5
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:07:36 PM   
chris kilby

I beg your pardon? What spoilers were those then?

(I tell you what, mate. I'll prefix everything I say with a ** SPOILER ALERT! ** if you similarly append your angry outbursts with an ** OBNOXIOUS TWAT ALERT! ** Deal?)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 27/8/2012 7:10:35 PM >

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 6
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:10:37 PM   
elab49

Dancing Clown, ways of doing things remember? And the same to you Chris - you're responsible for your own posts, irrespective of other's behaviour.

I'll change the original title. The nature of this kind of thread involves discussion of near on any film under the sun - it's a risk you take coming into them. If it is, though, a spoiler for a film currently in the cinema then courtesy would suggest a particular warning would be a kindness.

And it is particularly helpful if someone clicks in from the main page rather than the sub-forum.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 27/8/2012 7:18:06 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 7
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:11:03 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

(I tell you what, mate. I'll prefix everything I say with a ** SPOILER ALERT! ** if you similarly append your angry outbursts with an ** OBNOXIOUS TWAT ALERT! ** Deal?)

Can you warn of your sarcasm a bit more prominently than that you clueless berk?

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 8
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:16:13 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

quote:

Can you warn of your sarcasm a bit more prominently than that you clueless berk?

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 9
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:22:43 PM   
kumar

Ok actually, ill add my suggestion. I just watched Paulie earlier as the Bank Holiday film. The end had me blubbering, especially as the previous ten minutes or so before that were near heart breaking.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 10
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:25:06 PM   
mclane1

Anyhow, now dancing clown has had his obligatory grumpy post..back to the cheesy happiness.

Spoiler.. The entire last game in Major league, just one cheesy human triumph after another, and despite it being jim carrey, the end of liar liar gets me. Ooh ooh and the end of midnight run, althought to be fair that's not that cheesy.

Post #: 11
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:28:07 PM   
mclane1

My last suggestion, one letter, one number. I give you the end of K9. Cheesy gold.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 12
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:29:00 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Dancing Clown, ways of doing things remember? And the same to you Chris - you're responsible for your own posts, irrespective of other's behaviour.

I'll change the original title. The nature of this kind of thread involves discussion of near on any film under the sun - it's a risk you take coming into them. If it is, though, a spoiler for a film currently in the cinema then courtesy would suggest a particular warning would be a kindness.

And it is particularly helpful is someone clicks in from the main page rather than the sub-forum.

Fair enough. Although, in my defence, I would like to point out:

1) Like you say, with a thread like this, all bets are off, spoiler wise.

2) I didn't and wouldn't spoiler a film still in cinemas.

3) While a bit spoilerific, that Batman Begins line IS almost ten years old, and...

4) I actually pride myself on being spoiler free. Go read my recently posted review of the aforesaid Batman Begins and tell me I didn't bend over backwards NOT to reveal who the main villain was and even who Cillian Murphy was playing. There's always someone who hasn't seen even the best-known classics yet. So if I was to belatedly review Psycho, say, I would do so without giving its legendary ending away - it's the only one it's got!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:34:08 PM   
chris kilby

If you don't cry at the end of ET, then you have no soul.

** SPOILER ALERT! **

For me, it's the line: "They're just children!" The power of which was diminished somewhat when St Steven cack-handedly replaced the cops' guns with walkie-talkies. Even the ones who already had a walkie-talkie in their other hand! Who has two walkie-talkies? Now that's a spoiler!

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 27/8/2012 7:35:53 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:37:19 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

SPOILERS! Tsk.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 15
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:39:19 PM   
elab49

SPOILERS TDKR

I assumed the spoiler reference was to the film in TDKR? Which is a bit more info than we'd normally see outwith the review discussion threads.

Review threads are enter at your own risk though - if someone goes in there without seeing the film then hell mend them.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 16
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:50:22 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

ALIEN3

When Ellen Ripley gracefully,with her arms spread out,jumps backwards into the Lava in the final scene of Alien3.

A fitting end in my opinion...,well until Alien Resurrection .

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:55:26 PM   
chris kilby

I started crying about five minutes into Alien: Resurrection. And not in a good way.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 18
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 7:57:20 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

I started crying about five minutes into Alien: Resurrection. And not in a good way.

I got angry watching A:Resurrection.

Post #: 19
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - TAKE HEED Spoilers for random... - 27/8/2012 8:11:22 PM   
chris kilby

The Shawshank Redemption. 'Nuff said.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 20
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 8:17:15 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

My post was in response to McClane. His spoiler alert was largely ineffectual involving a film that is still in the cinema and which I have not seen for many reasons.

quote:

I said "clueless berk" not "obnoxious twat". And please don't have the cheek to lecture me about posting style. Ta.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

quote:

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 27/8/2012 8:23:29 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 21
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 8:23:22 PM   
chris kilby

Blimey. What's it like bein' you? A bit 'ectic?

(I'm starting to well-up here myself...)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 27/8/2012 8:25:55 PM >

Post #: 22
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 8:44:37 PM   
mclane1

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

My post was in response to McClane. His spoiler alert was largely ineffectual involving a film that is still in the cinema and which I have not seen

I will write spoiler in capitals next time. Now settle down, why don't you have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit, watch Armageddon , that will cheer you up

Post #: 23
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 27/8/2012 8:47:33 PM   
Shifty Bench

I have yet to see The Dark Knight Rises but I saw it above and stopped reading. Been spoiled with it on here before in a different thread (closer to release date, I may add) anyway but I don't want to get more spoiled.

Going to see it tomorrow but I can't be doing with this 'Well, I've seen it, so everyone must have seen it' mentality.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 24
RE: Tears of cheesy joy - 28/8/2012 1:16:06 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

My last suggestion, one letter, one number. I give you the end of K9. Cheesy gold.

Yep.
Hospital refuses to treat Dog for Gunshot
"He's not a dog!  He's a cop! and he's not just any cop... he's my partner!"

Blubs all round.

The end of Short Circuit 2.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Tears of cheesy joy - TAKE HEED Spoilers for random films abound. Enter at your peril. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI