Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:48:49 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

Apart from the weather and Ferdinand Marcos wanting his helicopters back, the biggest changes to Apocalypse Now were brought about by Marlon Brando. Literally. When he turned up fat and bald instead of lean and mean, Copolla was forced to scrap John Millius' originally scripted climax - a huge battle in the jungle where Willard asks "Why do we fight?" And Kurtz responds: "Because it feels good." (He ain't got time to bleed!) Wouldn't have stopped Steven Seagal, though.

Also, Michael Herr's masterful narration ("Saigon. Shit.") was only written in post to try and make sense of the mess Coppola had on his hands. It made the film which would have been completely gubbed without it. Kinda like Blade Runner in reverse.

I'm often astonished at how many films that went through a nightmare production (a lot of which seem to involve Ridley Scott!!) seem to end up as absolute classics. Does this mean that adversity is the mother of great cinematic art?!

Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 were all made under huge pressure.

Alien Res was a delightful stress free shoot.

This doesn't always work - but adversity does breed creative thinking.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 31
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:50:04 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

It's funny - for all the press it got, I never really count AN as a troubled production. I think the problems where exactly what the film needed to be as good as it is. I know that likely doesn't make sense - but Coppola did exactly what he wanted, how he wanted, regardless of how much time and effort was spent on it. This to me feels somewhat different to the World War Zs of the world

I think Martin Sheen might take issue with that! And maybe even Harvey Keitel!

Sheen had underlying health problems from what I gather. And as for Keitel...love the guy, but Coppola made the right call.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 32
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:51:27 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's funny - for all the press it got, I never really count AN as a troubled production. I think the problems where exactly what the film needed to be as good as it is. I know that likely doesn't make sense - but Coppola did exactly what he wanted, how he wanted, regardless of how much time and effort was spent on it. This to me feels somewhat different to the World War Zs of the world

I think Martin Sheen might take issue with that! And maybe even Harvey Keitel!

Sheen had underlying health problems from what I gather. And as for Keitel...love the guy, but Coppola made the right call.

Indeed, on both counts - which may just highlight your point, because I think it's those underlying health problems that gives us one of the most memorable opening sequences in cinema. Ah, god bless you heart/drinking problems!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 33
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 10:51:56 AM   
st3veebee

Is Don Quixote not recent enough?

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 34
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 1:29:43 PM   
spark1

of the 4 'alien' movies the 3rd was a real runaway train starting with the multiple scripts written and discared.
sets built at pinewood before they had cast other roles or a script approved and the filming shut down and hauled off to the US half way through.

check out the extras on the dvd/blu ray and empire's article on vicent ward's aborted version for the full story.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 29/8/2012 10:18:22 AM >

Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI