Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 12:25:55 PM   
Platter

The thought occurred to me recently that you never hear about bloated over budget productions anymore. Even a "disaster" like John Carter apparently had a smooth production, and appears to have been completed to its budget.

Have Hollywood worked out how to curtails these types of productions? Or do they just realistically budget them right from the start? Or is it that computer generated sets mean anything that starts to wobble immediately gets shut down and put in front of a green screen before the press notice?

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4
Post #: 1
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 12:27:35 PM   
Rgirvan44

Terminator Salvation had a pretty rough shoot. So did MIB3 from some accounts.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 2
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 12:32:16 PM   
chris kilby

World War Z seems to have run into some major problems in post leading to re-writes, re-shoots and the release getting put back six months. Which is a shame cos I really enjoyed watching them film it right in the centre of Glasgow last October. Zombies, cars flipping over, George Square re-dressed from top to bottom to look exactly like downtown Philidelphia. It was awesome!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 12:33:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

GI Joe 2 as well actually. And 47 Ronin

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 4
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 12:34:56 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I think that's what inevitably happens when they go into production without a finished script - D'OH!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 12:36:44 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

I think that's what inevitably happens when they go into production without a finished script - D'OH!

Mind you, Casablanca went into production with an unfinished script and it did ok. So did Gladiator actually. They never figured out the afterlife stuff until the film was nearly done and dusted.

Post #: 6
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 12:37:13 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

GI Joe 2 as well actually. And 47 Ronin

I hear the budget got slashed - it's 23 Ronin now.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 7
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 12:39:52 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mind you, Casablanca went into production with an unfinished script and it did ok. So did Gladiator actually. They never figured out the afterlife stuff until the film was nearly done and dusted.

They're the exceptions rather than the rule, though. And it was really just who Illse would stay with at the end of Casablanca which was unresolved when they went into production.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 8
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 12:56:21 PM   
Rgirvan44

I think there were a few other pieces as well

"This could be the beginning..." wasn't added until post-production for example.

It can work, often it doesn't. Another example of William Goldman's rule.

Post #: 9
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 1:41:37 PM   
Whistler

I'd imagine it must be quite hard to go over-budget these days, with the size of them.

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 10
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 1:47:15 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler
I'd imagine it must be quite hard to go over-budget these days, with the size of them.

Plus, with advances in CGI, you can do a lot more with a lot less.

After all, in today's market Dredd is pretty much a low budget film, but is punching at block buster weight (in terms of release and intention).

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 11
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 2:19:34 PM   
Platter

Also you don't really hear about actors holding up productions with their unreasonable demands anymore. At least not to the extent you used to. I don't think they have the power anymore as everyone is replaceable nowadays. Cause problems on one movie and your future employment chances are under threat. Actors now seem to respect schedules.

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 12
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 9:37:33 PM   
MB2

LXG would probably be the most recent, in terms of a proper disaster of a shoot. Isn't there also an argument that a troubled production ends up doing better with how much free publicity it generates? According to Mark Kermode at any rate.

Roxy: That's who we should kill next.
Frank: A fictitious character?
Roxy: No. Diablo Cody. Fuck her for writing that movie, she's the only stripper who suffers from too much self esteem.

(in reply to Platter)
Post #: 13
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 9:49:12 PM   
Shifty Bench

MB2- I saw the Grampa Simpson pic before that thread was deleted

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to MB2)
Post #: 14
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 10:01:48 PM   
MB2

My plan is working.

Roxy: That's who we should kill next.
Frank: A fictitious character?
Roxy: No. Diablo Cody. Fuck her for writing that movie, she's the only stripper who suffers from too much self esteem.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 15
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 10:04:05 PM   
Shifty Bench

Sorry, who are you again?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to MB2)
Post #: 16
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 21/8/2012 10:12:30 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

"This could be the beginning..." wasn't added until post-production for example.

You do realise you're not allowed to use the term 'rule'

Certainly Apocalypse Now is one of the most famous that went ahead with an unfinished script and spiralled above budget.

More recently of course The Lone Ranger has fallen foul of budget issues. And I seem to recall Battleship having problems. John Carter didn't so much as have budget issues, as setting itself an unachievable target. It had to be one of the most successful films of all time in order to have made the project worthwhile. Which was never going to happen.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 17
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:06:22 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

Certainly Apocalypse Now is one of the most famous that went ahead with an unfinished script and spiralled above budget.

More recently of course The Lone Ranger has fallen foul of budget issues. And I seem to recall Battleship having problems. John Carter didn't so much as have budget issues, as setting itself an unachievable target. It had to be one of the most successful films of all time in order to have made the project worthwhile. Which was never going to happen.

I always thought AN had a finished script, it was just that Coppola kept altering it when he was shooting, and inbetween the two major shoots required to complete the movie.

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 18
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:28:51 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

John Carter didn't so much as have budget issues, as setting itself an unachievable target. It had to be one of the most successful films of all time in order to have made the project worthwhile. Which was never going to happen.

We all said the same about Avatar as well though, and that did okay.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 19
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:30:50 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

Nobody knows anything.

(And he coined that before there was in internet! )

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 20
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:30:54 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

quote:

quote:

I always thought AN had a finished script, it was just that Coppola kept altering it when he was shooting, and inbetween the two major shoots required to complete the movie.

Essentially that's right, but he did change it on a daily basis which must have been hellish to work with ... and, of course, there are various myths of numerous endings. That said, didn't they go ahead with Blade Runner before having decided how Deckard would track down Zhora?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 21
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:34:03 AM   
Rgirvan44

I think in the case of Blade Runner it was about cutting stuff out. There was the extra replicant, and the Zhora dance sequence - not to mention the real Tyrell in cryo-sleep (interesting that this plot thread was re-used by Scott elsewhere).

Post #: 22
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:36:48 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Nobody knows anything.

Actually there was totes an internet back then - I remember reading this amazing article about a forum in 1982 which was discussing what was going to happen in Jedi.

Yes it is me being a pendant - but isn't that really cool?

Post #: 23
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:37:25 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

I think in the case of Blade Runner it was about cutting stuff out. There was the extra replicant, and the Zhora dance sequence - not to mention the real Tyrell in cryo-sleep (interesting that this plot thread was re-used by Scott elsewhere).

I just seem to recall (a while ago,so old age might have affected my memory) Ford complaining ... really, Harrison Ford complaining, never?! ... that he was playing a detective who never actually did any detecting ... and that this resulted in some additional scripting with Deckard finding the scale from the snake which linked to Zhora. But that they'd already begun filming before this plot point had been determined.

There is a good chance that my memory has remembered that incorrectly.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 24
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:41:29 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

I just seem to recall (a while ago,so old age might have affected my memory) Ford complaining ... really, Harrison Ford complaining, never?! ... that he was playing a detective who never actually did any detecting ... and that this resulted in some additional scripting with Deckard finding the scale from the snake which linked to Zhora. But that they'd already begun filming before this plot point had been determined.

There is a good chance that my memory has remembered that incorrectly.

I remember something along those lines now that you mention it. But when he went to the club we were suppose to also see her dance, and that had all been worked out beforehand. So I am not sure how Deckard was suppose to get to the club before the re-write with the scale. I am sure there is an answer in the Sammon book which I don't have to hand at the moment.

Post #: 25
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:42:02 AM   
chris kilby

Apart from the weather and Ferdinand Marcos wanting his helicopters back, the biggest changes to Apocalypse Now were brought about by Marlon Brando. Literally. When he turned up fat and bald instead of lean and mean, Copolla was forced to scrap John Millius' originally scripted climax - a huge battle in the jungle where Willard asks "Why do we fight?" And Kurtz responds: "Because it feels good." (He ain't got time to bleed!) Wouldn't have stopped Steven Seagal, though.

Also, Michael Herr's masterful narration ("Saigon. Shit.") was only written in post to try and make sense of the mess Coppola had on his hands. It made the film which would have been completely gubbed without it. Kinda like Blade Runner in reverse.

Post #: 26
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:45:00 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nobody knows anything.

Actually there was totes an internet back then - I remember reading this amazing article about a forum in 1982 which was discussing what was going to happen in Jedi.

Yes it is me being a pendant - but isn't that really cool?

Yeah, but it was so slow in them days by the time you posted your reply, Revenge of the Sith was out!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:46:09 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

Apart from the weather and Ferdinand Marcos wanting his helicopters back, the biggest changes to Apocalypse Now were brought about by Marlon Brando. Literally. When he turned up fat and bald instead of lean and mean, Copolla was forced to scrap John Millius' originally scripted climax - a huge battle in the jungle where Willard asks "Why do we fight?" And Kurtz responds: "Because it feels good." (He ain't got time to bleed!) Wouldn't have stopped Steven Seagal, though.

Also, Michael Herr's masterful narration ("Saigon. Shit.") was only written in post to try and make sense of the mess Coppola had on his hands. It made the film which would have been completely gubbed without it. Kinda like Blade Runner in reverse.

I'm often astonished at how many films that went through a nightmare production (a lot of which seem to involve Ridley Scott!!) seem to end up as absolute classics. Does this mean that adversity is the mother of great cinematic art?!

Post #: 28
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:46:22 AM   
Rgirvan44

It's funny - for all the press it got, I never really count AN as a troubled production. I think the problems where exactly what the film needed to be as good as it is. I know that likely doesn't make sense - but Coppola did exactly what he wanted, how he wanted, regardless of how much time and effort was spent on it. This to me feels somewhat different to the World War Zs of the world

Post #: 29
RE: Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions - 22/8/2012 12:47:23 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

It's funny - for all the press it got, I never really count AN as a troubled production. I think the problems where exactly what the film needed to be as good as it is. I know that likely doesn't make sense - but Coppola did exactly what he wanted, how he wanted, regardless of how much time and effort was spent on it. This to me feels somewhat different to the World War Zs of the world

I think Martin Sheen might take issue with that! And maybe even Harvey Keitel!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Modern Runaway Hollywood Productions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI