Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The best place to sit in the cinema

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 21/8/2012 6:32:59 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I don't mind really, I'll sit anywhere but I really don't like the front. The first 3 or 4 rows is way too close for me, impossible to see everything that's going and I usually go away with a headache. I was two rows from the front for Inception at a mini-IMAX, I'm certain I only ever saw abut 1/3 of the screen.

Somewhere in the middle will do me usually, and I don't mind if it's centre or way off to the side (have a kip resting my head against the wall during adverts!). Right at the back's good too, especially with a massive screen.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 21/8/2012 6:33:05 PM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 31
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 21/8/2012 6:51:46 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Row J, penultimate seat on the right hand side

There's a person with a regular cinema

I've only got a specific seat for one screen - GFT CInema 1 is pretty uncomfortable so I know exactly where I need to sit for the NT Lives. For films I wait for the move to GFT2!

In general about half way down on the aisle.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 32
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 21/8/2012 6:55:40 PM   
impqueen

Three rows down from the back, left side, aisle seatÖmy bag sits in the seat next to me so no one else can.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 33
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 21/8/2012 7:02:41 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

my bag sits in the seat next to me so no one else can.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 34
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 21/8/2012 7:05:22 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

The good Doctor Kermode always sits on the aisle seat on the right, or so he says, with a free seat behind, in front and beside him.

Personally I prefer being as middle as possible as the sound is usually best and you have a direct line of sight at the main screen. I do hate being people being directly behind me though, especially when there are many free seats elsewhere.

Yeah. Inconsiderate bastards. How dare they? (although it is annoying when they kick the back of your seat). I do like to sit as close to the centre of the cinema as possible. Usually the middle 3/4 rows , assuming they're not set aside as "premier" seats. That's when it's quiet. If it's a busy screening I tend to go for an aisle seat in one of those rows.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 35
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 21/8/2012 7:09:22 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

my bag sits in the seat next to me so no one else can.

I'm so used to going to the cinema on my own that I now panic when I agree to take my parents or sibling or go with friends. I have my own rules of cinema etiquette and I know how stupid they are so canít enforce them on unsuspecting others. I get irritated when others donít adhere to said unspoken rules that my enjoyment of the cinematic experience fades quickly. Iím aware I am a sad person.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 36
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 21/8/2012 7:14:37 PM   
Rhubarb

I think I've only been to the cinema once on my own (I think the film was 1408, I took advantage of this by lying across about five seats) it feels like an inherently social thing to do to me. Which considering its silently sitting in a dark room for two hours probably says more about me than anything else.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 37
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 21/8/2012 7:20:33 PM   
Hood_Man

I love going to the cinema by myself, I can concentrate on the film more easily. I also don't have to wait for others to get ready and I can go whenever I want.

Unless it's a big anticipated blockbuster where I relish the social experience. This year's Dark Knight Rises at the BFI Imax for instance was a brilliant experience, every time I turned to my left to look at my mate he had the biggest grin ever. He just looked so happy

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 38
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 22/8/2012 1:41:42 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Row J, penultimate seat on the right hand side

There's a person with a regular cinema

I've only got a specific seat for one screen - GFT CInema 1 is pretty uncomfortable so I know exactly where I need to sit for the NT Lives. For films I wait for the move to GFT2!

In general about half way down on the aisle.

The GFT has the most uncomfortable seats in the world. I've been to fetish clubs which are comfier.

(Ye don't huv tae be Scottish tae post here. But it helps...)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 25/8/2012 10:23:36 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 39
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 22/8/2012 10:44:03 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I love going to the cinema by myself, I can concentrate on the film more easily. I also don't have to wait for others to get ready and I can go whenever I want.

Unless it's a big anticipated blockbuster where I relish the social experience. This year's Dark Knight Rises at the BFI Imax for instance was a brilliant experience, every time I turned to my left to look at my mate he had the biggest grin ever. He just looked so happy

Spot on. Only this year I have started relaly going to the cinema on my own for either repeat viewing or smaller films my friends aren't bothered with.

I just take more in on my own and I find myself quite happy to be overwhelmed by the film.

Blockbusters I prefer to go with a group though, for the banter before/afterwards.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 40
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 24/8/2012 3:20:36 PM   
SQUATCH

Yeah i usualy opt for a seat myself

< Message edited by SQUATCH -- 24/8/2012 3:21:06 PM >

"Marge my friend, I havent learnt a thing"

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 41
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 24/8/2012 8:07:01 PM   
homersimpson_esq

My old cinema, used to be H17.

Now ideally I go for a seat with the railings in front to put my seat on when I go on my own...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to SQUATCH)
Post #: 42
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 24/8/2012 9:40:23 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Spot on. Only this year I have started relaly going to the cinema on my own for either repeat viewing or smaller films my friends aren't bothered with.

I just take more in on my own and I find myself quite happy to be overwhelmed by the film.

Blockbusters I prefer to go with a group though, for the banter before/afterwards.

I tend to go it alone too. I only really associate film festivals with sociable cinema-going, as there tends to be plenty of likeminded folk about. I always fall in to a lonely slump when I come off of one and have to go back to going it alone.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 43
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 24/8/2012 10:10:45 PM   
Hotlips

Usually when I cinema alone it's lovely and quiet (apart from once when I went to see Beyond the Pole and some lady was laughing so much at times I couldn't hear what was going on) but the first time I went solo the film was sold out - even though it was full it was only a small screen and the fact there were quite a few of us 'loners' who were excited to see it made it a really enjoyable experience. If that makes sense!

Back to where to sit in the cinema, I like to sit at the side just behind the drop so there's a shelf for my ice cream and my feet I always feel a bit put out if I don't get my way. Luckily my usual cinema buddy feels the same

Honey Badger don't care, Honey Badger don't give a shit

I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 44
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 25/8/2012 1:49:53 AM   
Whistler

Some people seem to find it strange that I go to the cinema alone, that is somehow makes me a "loner". But I can't for the life of me figure out why. It's not a bar or club, is it? The cinema is a place to sit down, be quiet and take in a film. Not socialize. Of course, blockbusters are fun when you're with a group (providing none of that group talks), and I'll often ring up one of my close friends to ask them if they want to join me, but if not I'm perfectly happy to go on my own

(in reply to Hotlips)
Post #: 45
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 25/8/2012 10:31:33 AM   
chris kilby

I'd like to open a cinema where the seats are wired to the mains. And if you raise your voice above a certain level... ZZZAP!

(That goes for anyone's phone going off during a film as well. And while I'm on the subject, why do people have to keep checking their phones during a film? Are they expecting urgent texts from Obama or Ban Ki Moon or something? Oh what I'd give for one of those Bat-signal jammer gizmos from TDKR. Or, you know, a claw hammer...)

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 46
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 25/8/2012 10:45:41 AM   
Hotlips

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

I'd like to open a cinema where the seats are wired to the mains. And if you raise your voice above a certain level... ZZZAP!

Claw hammer may be a little extreme but understandable

I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 47
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 25/8/2012 10:45:46 AM   
jonson

Always on my own. I'd be embarassed to masturbate in front of friends.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 48
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 25/8/2012 11:34:49 AM   
chris kilby

The more the merrier!

(God, you're so repressed.)*

* That's what Pee-Wee Herman said!

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 25/8/2012 11:35:57 AM >

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 49
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 26/8/2012 2:02:49 AM   
paul_lfc

Middle row(s) going back or nothing

Me and my mate walked out of the Bourne Ultimatum(that's the 3rd one?) because we could only get seats on the first few rows, we sat down but decided it was shit and went outside and played Ghost Squad instead, it's because we fucked around in that Chiquito mexican place for too long before going in, left it too late

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 50
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 26/8/2012 12:17:49 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

Good question. I used to always sit "middle to back," but now always sit in the front row, middle seat.

This started when we had no choice and had to sit in the front row at a packed screening of Titanic years ago. It took a bit of getting used to - like being at a tennis match - but by the time the stern of the ship rose out of the water then came crashing down again like the Fist of God it felt like we were getting splashed by the water. Talk about an immersive experience!

I just love having my field of vision filled by what I'm watching, there's no-one in front of you and/or climbing over you during the film, you can stretch out and/or leave if it's shite and ma wee boy loves to breakdance down at the front while his daddy reads the end credits. Sorted. (Yeah. The wee guy at the Glasgow Cineworld, Renfrew Street. He's mine. He's like Gene Gene The Dancing Machine in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind!)

I have friends who simply will not sit in the front row, but one of me mates is disabled and has to. And when we went to see Apocalypse Now - Redux, it felt like the rotor blades of the helicopters at the start were giving us a haircut!

Same here. I love being in the front row and being totally overwhelmed by what I'm seeing. unless I'm with mates...in which case it's a few rows back unless I want to be on my own again ,but I usually try to influence people to sit fairly near the front, like three or four rows back, and it's still good.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 51
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 30/8/2012 4:30:05 AM   
BigBreakfast

I think the best place to sit is as close to the center as possible. At least somewhere near the middle row, even if it is on the end of the row. I have sat in the front row before when going to see a new film and the theater had filled up. The very front row is definitely too close. It makes you feel like you have to look up to see the whole screen.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 52
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 30/8/2012 5:22:56 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Central, but most importantly an aisle seat. The legs frequently need a good stretch (old knee injury) and I hate clambering over people if I need the loo.

(in reply to BigBreakfast)
Post #: 53
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 30/8/2012 5:28:00 PM   
vad3r

Right at the back where no one can see what I'm doing.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 54
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 1/9/2012 10:49:31 AM   
Hotlips

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

Right at the back where no one can see what I'm doing.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 55
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 21/9/2012 7:58:13 AM   
johnnyfirday

Always in the corner and at the top seats ..... perfect way to watch movies in theaters ...

Bollywood Movies Review
Upcoming Movies

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 56
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 21/9/2012 1:42:05 PM   
shool

middle of the middle... if that makes sense.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to johnnyfirday)
Post #: 57
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 21/9/2012 3:23:30 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

Very rarely go to the cinema now (due to the morons that attend cinemas these days) but when we do we now sit on the row behind the disable section as we have never seen anyone use that disabled area and we can stretch our legs out over the metal railings. Its also very central to the screen and far enough from the back 1/3 of the cinema where all the numpties sit.

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 58
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 2/10/2012 8:55:02 PM   
jrewing1000

As far from anyone as possible. I've completely lost faith in people's ability to behave themselves in the cinema.

So: Back row middle.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 59
RE: The best place to sit in the cinema - 3/10/2012 6:32:27 PM   
boaby

Leg room.

Lanky 6' 5" . Gimme leg room. I usually try to slouch a bit to help out those behind when I'm with others which increases the need for leg room. On my own I like the back row at the top of an aisle. Sprawl-tastic. Look intimidating with "get the phuck away from my row" stare.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI