Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Recommend me a TV Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recommend me a TV - 20/8/2012 9:47:19 PM   
Rinc

Hello everyone

I've changed my mind and don't want a camera anymore. Intead I'm going to spend more on a big TV. My budget is around £180 and I don't really know much about them. I just want one that is good quality to go with my Sky HD and that is as big as possible as it's going in a largish lounge.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Rinc

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]
Post #: 1
RE: Recommend me a TV - 20/8/2012 10:10:23 PM   
elab49

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006MQAVJQ/ref=asc_df_B006MQAVJQ9300049?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=pr-syn9-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B006MQAVJQ&ascsubtag=f0120820f8b6e51fd118d07bd2b35d6e

According to Which this is the cheapest over 30" tv that gets at least 50% in their testing (and it only gets 53%).

For the same price you can get a Samsung 22" that ranks at about 67%.

Scart RGB picture: Freeview picture: HD upscaling: Overall SD picture: Freeview HD picture: Blu-ray picture: Overall HD picture: 3D picture: Sound quality: Overall ease of use: EPG: Smart TV: PVR: Overall energy use: Switched on energy use: Light sensor: Overall versatility:
Is what they test.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 2
RE: Recommend me a TV - 20/8/2012 11:00:55 PM   
Rinc

I suppose I could stretch the budget to over £200

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Recommend me a TV - 21/8/2012 1:16:14 PM   
great_badir

Yeah - you're gonna struggle getting a GOOD and BIG TV for that price.

You could always get a Tesco or Asda no-name special 43+" for £199.99, but having seen them in actual use, I would recommend you steer well clear of them.

I think for a large TV (and, to me, large is 37" plus) you need to be spending at least £250 for something decent, preferably over £300.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 4
RE: Recommend me a TV - 21/8/2012 1:38:23 PM   
Super Hans

We bought one in Argos the other week, a Toshiba (link below) currently £250, reduced from £280 (I think they have a sale on generally). As far as gadgets go, TVs aint the things I'm most clued up on but it seems great so far. From looking at some of the reviews, the only thing people consistently quibble about is the sound quality, but I'm not perninicky enough about such things to have noticed any issues!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5298989/Trail/searchtext%3ETOSHIBA+32+TV.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5
RE: Recommend me a TV - 21/8/2012 1:56:56 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans
We bought one in Argos the other week, a Toshiba (link below) currently £250, reduced from £280 (I think they have a sale on generally). As far as gadgets go, TVs aint the things I'm most clued up on but it seems great so far. From looking at some of the reviews, the only thing people consistently quibble about is the sound quality, but I'm not perninicky enough about such things to have noticed any issues!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5298989/Trail/searchtext%3ETOSHIBA+32+TV.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

To be fair, most modern flat panel TVs have poor on-board sound. Toshibas usually have their speaker(s) underneath the set, with the speaker pointing towards the floor, which makes them sound hollow and echoey. But Samsung are, by far, the worst, but then they make up for it by generally being best bang for your buck with features and punching way above their weight picture quality wise. The only makes that have half decent on-board sound are Sony Bravias (and I understand Sony sets have gone a bit shit in the last couple of years) and Panasonics.

But then TVs these days are really built and sold as monitors, with the whole idea being that you get an amp and seperate speakers or sound bar.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 6
RE: Recommend me a TV - 21/8/2012 2:05:46 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

To be fair, most modern flat panel TVs have poor on-board sound. Toshibas usually have their speaker(s) underneath the set, with the speaker pointing towards the floor, which makes them sound hollow and echoey. But Samsung are, by far, the worst, but then they make up for it by generally being best bang for your buck with features and punching way above their weight picture quality wise. The only makes that have half decent on-board sound are Sony Bravias (and I understand Sony sets have gone a bit shit in the last couple of years) and Panasonics.

But then TVs these days are really built and sold as monitors, with the whole idea being that you get an amp and seperate speakers or sound bar.

Good point - makes perfect sense as having an external speaker set up is pretty commonplace now. I remember they were once more the domain of the serious techie/home cinema buff!

While I still like to keep my hand in with the films, as a married man my TV mainly gets used for watching soap operas and TV talent shows nowdays - I have no desire to hear that any more clearly or loudly than I need to!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 7
RE: Recommend me a TV - 21/8/2012 2:16:02 PM   
Rinc

The current TV we have in the lounge (which my housemate will be taking when they move out) is 32". I actually think this size is fine for our lounge so any recommendations for a 32"?

Sorry I'm a bit clueless about all this and only just measured it!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 8
RE: Recommend me a TV - 21/8/2012 3:15:42 PM   
elab49

To get more for your money you could look for an ex-display model as well?

If you go by Which, 32", £200-250 then the one above

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006MQAVJQ/ref=asc_df_B006MQAVJQ9314737?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=pr-syn9-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B006MQAVJQ&ascsubtag=f01208210d97b92e51674d318342a8c3

is there best test at 53%.

That said the Samsung LE32D450 was only 52% and, unlike the other one, had 4 stars for freeview pic (vs 2) and 4 for Freeview HD (vs none). I think it's the older model though? 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 9
RE: Recommend me a TV - 22/8/2012 5:50:17 PM   
sanchia

I find Samsung and LG both are very good tv's for a relatively low price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-32LK330U-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B004ZC3LIC/ref=sr_1_35?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1345654004&sr=1-35

My sister has this one and it is very good (the sound is not necessarily top notch but the picture is very good.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: Recommend me a TV - 23/8/2012 6:44:08 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

If you want lowest price without hampering quality too much LG are your best bet.

Despite the suggestions in this thread, I'd steer we'll clear of Samsung, cheap components at a not so cheap price (well more expensive than LG) . All three Samsung TVs I've owned (two LCD, one Plasma) have all bit the bullet within two years.

In general though, I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for with electronics in general, and I'd definitely recommend saving up and getting a more expensive set, Panasonic being the manufacturer I'd recommend most.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 23/8/2012 6:45:24 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 11
RE: Recommend me a TV - 23/8/2012 8:06:06 PM   
elab49

Anyone have general views on Toshiba? I noticed in Sainbury's today they've currently got £50 off so there's a Toshiba 32" for a penny under £200.

I'd ditto Panasonic generally. Mind you, the last TV I bought for a bedroom was a Technika and it seems absolutely fine to me. Inbuilt multi-region DVD player as well.

quote:

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 12
RE: Recommend me a TV - 24/8/2012 8:31:28 AM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda
If you want lowest price without hampering quality too much LG are your best bet.

Despite the suggestions in this thread, I'd steer we'll clear of Samsung, cheap components at a not so cheap price (well more expensive than LG) . All three Samsung TVs I've owned (two LCD, one Plasma) have all bit the bullet within two years.

In general though, I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for with electronics in general, and I'd definitely recommend saving up and getting a more expensive set, Panasonic being the manufacturer I'd recommend most.

I think you’ve been VERY unlucky there with your previous Samsungs – although I’ve never owned one myself (I’ve historically been a strict Panasonic and Sony bitch), the sets I am aware of in my world of friends and family have performed very well for years. Besides, LG and Samsung both effectively use the same components (at least they always did). I also have to disagree with the bit in bold – price wise there is little between comparative Samsungs and LGs, and both generally offer excellent value for money.

elab – Toshibas are adequate. I personally think you can get a better picture for the same (or not much more) money (although that Sainsbury’s offer sounds good, depending on what model) and they are totally a shadow of their former CRT selves (Tosh and Hitachi were the super-kings of CRT sets), BUT functionally they offer something that very few sets do, at least that I am aware of – with a firmware upgrade, they will play pretty much any file format thrown at them direct from the USB ports. They’ll even pick up everything on a terabyte hard drive plugged straight into them, when many makes get scared above 100gigs, if they recognise a hard drive at all (I’m looking at you, Sony). By far the worst thing about Toshibas is the sound, especially on the 32” sets, because, as I said above, the speaker is underneath the set and points downwards. If this is not a concern for you (i.e. if you have separate speakers) and it meets your budget, then I would say it’s a safe buy. And, at 32”, the picture quality is going to naturally be lower down on any list of concerns.

The general market at the moment:
Aesthetics aside (they’ll NEVER win a beauty contest, but) Panasonic are the best all round sets – stunning picture quality, excellent functionality, top build quality, just excellent;
The current crop of Philips models, from the last two years onwards, are also brilliant, with one or two of their upper-upper end sets competing strongly against equivalent Panasonics;
The high end Sharp Aquos sets are expensive, but very very good. The mid and low price Sharp sets you have to research to make sure you aren’t buying a dud (easy to forget these days that Sharp were, not so long ago, one of the el cheapo makes like Alba, Bush, Sanyo and Saisho);
Sony seem to be getting worse after moving their assembly from Japan to Eastern Europe a few years ago. Apparently, more recently, they’ve also stopped using their own components, which has affected picture quality greatly (I cannot confirm or deny this as I have not demoed any recent sets). However, you can still get the models from 3-4 years ago, which were brilliant (I CAN vouch for that, cos I’ve got one);
Samsung and LG – I’ve lumped them together because, in my opinion, they are much of a muchness, that is to say that you cannot really go wrong with either. As I’ve said, Samsung sets typically have by far the worst on-board sound of any current make, but everything else is fine.

With JVC now effectively no more, the rest is basically your no-brand cheap Chinese rubbish – the sort that do a 46” TV for less than £200. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE – honestly, some of these sets I’ve seen set up in some homes are a joke and most have a noticeably terrible picture and would, probably, break if you looked at them the wrong way. Having said that, Technika is a brand I know nothing about, other than its existence, and have no experience of.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 13
RE: Recommend me a TV - 24/8/2012 5:35:27 PM   
elab49

http://www.tesco.com/direct/technika-40-270-40-inch-widescreen-hd-ready-1080p-lcd-tv-with-freeview/210-1986.prd?skuId=210-1986&pageLevel=

NOticed this in store today - special price for a 40" Technika. I'm not sure how real experts would view it, but the brand seems to get decent online reviews. Tescos old in-house brand, whose name I forget, used to be quite good for multi-region DVD players too.

quote:

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 14
RE: Recommend me a TV - 28/8/2012 1:13:06 AM   
homersimpson_esq

My recommendation is to buy in January. I got mine in the sale in-store in Curry's, and it was about half the usual price.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Recommend me a TV - 31/8/2012 11:09:03 AM   
Rinc

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. I'll do a bit of searching and get something in a month's time.

Homer, I would love to get one a lot cheaper but I can't wait till then!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 16
RE: Recommend me a TV - 1/9/2012 5:25:19 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

My current TV in the sitting room is a 46" Samsung LCD and its currently three and a half years old and I've never had a problem with it. Even with two toddlers bashing the shit out of it occasionally over that time.

The Samsung 32" LCD we have in the bedroom is the one we replaced with the 46" and that's still going strong at 6/7 years old.....

Samsung have always been good value for money in my book.....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 17
RE: Recommend me a TV - 1/9/2012 5:28:29 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

You could always try winning one in a competition.....

Clicky!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 18
RE: Recommend me a TV - 3/9/2012 10:40:35 AM   
Chief

My 40" Samsung LCD is still going strong after 5 years. I've also got a toddler that has given it it's fair share of beatings and yoghurt hands.

I did notice that a pixel has gone last night though. Only noticeable on a black screen so not too fussed. I'll replace it in the next year and retire this one upstairs I think.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 19
RE: Recommend me a TV - 3/9/2012 10:39:34 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

You could always try winning one in a competition.....

Clicky!

Can't believe I even clicked on that dirty link

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Recommend me a TV Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI