Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Tony Scott dies.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Tony Scott dies. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 12:49:08 PM   
Deviation

I didn't expect this to sadden me as much as it did as I wasn't his biggest fan, but that is a really sad way to go and the man himself did occasionally some very fun and all round great films. Top Gun, Man on Fire and True Romance are excellent in their own ways, and Beat the Devil is the most fun 7 minutes out there.

My condolences with his family.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 31
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 12:54:51 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Very sad. Always had a soft spot for Scott's movies. Always watchable, hell I even like Days of Thunder.

RIP

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 32
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 1:03:14 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Utterly gobsmacked to find this out. Never the thing you expect to hear first on a Monday morning.

Wasn't a massive fan of all his work but he certainly never made a boring film in his time. Crimson Tide is probably still my favourite of his.

The fact that it appears to be suicide makes it worse, gutted.

Rest in peace Tony....

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 20/8/2012 1:09:08 PM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 33
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 2:26:26 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

I was talking to a colleague earlier about it and, like many others no doubt, we were both of the opinion that his films were generally pretty rubbish. But if you look at the list on IMDB, actually the good and watchable films far outweigh the bad ones (and please note I am including Top Gun in the bad I personally find it excruciating to watch, and not just cos of Tom Cruise).

Crimson Tide and True Romance are both great and certified classics (despite the VERY obvious and out of place Tarantino schtick shoe-horned in to both scripts), but my favourite Tony film has to be Spy Game Ive always thought that that was an under rated gem, and still do.

Yeah, it's possibly easy to scoff at his output in comparisson to Ridley's say, but I think they've each made their share of great and not so great films.

Looking at Tony's list, it surprised me that I haven't seen as many as I thought, but he made some real genre classics and as far as the high concept, Simpson/Bruckheimer stuff goes, many a lesser action director could learn a lot from him. Outside of that kind of thing, as has already been mentioned, True Romance and Man on Fire are great too.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 34
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 2:35:36 PM   
homersimpson_esq

What is interesting is that everyone has a different Tony Scott film they say, "I have a soft spot for...". It shows that, actually, people really liked his films, even if it was uncool to like them.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 35
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 3:17:34 PM   
princessa

Just wanted to say that i was totally shocked when i heard the news.

This is so sad.

RIP Tony. My condolences to his family and friends.

Post #: 36
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 3:30:34 PM   
Hood_Man

This is awful, and it's brought home even more because he's the same age as my colleague's husband

I loved Crimson Tide, it's one of my favourite thrillers (probably IS my favourite actually), and IMHO Enemy of the State is still the best all round Will Smith vehicle so far.

A tragic loss

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 37
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 3:32:01 PM   
Harry Lime

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

What is interesting is that everyone has a different Tony Scott film they say, "I have a soft spot for...". It shows that, actually, people really liked his films, even if it was uncool to like them.

Or, alternatively, it could also show just how generic his movies actually were and that his filmography is littered with the occasional mediocre yet affable genre piece that people think "aren't too bad" or are "a bit of harmless fun".

I'm not saying which is right but let us be careful of not falling into the usual trap of re-writing a legacy in an overly positive fashion just because somebody has died young or in tragic circumstances.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 38
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 3:36:55 PM   
Harry Lime

For the record, I like The Last Boy Scout and Crimson Tide. Neither are anything approaching classics (as I believe I heard Chris Hewitt suggest on the radio this morning) but the former is goofy action fun and the latter is a polished and satisfying thriller.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 39
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 3:38:42 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

quote:

Or, alternatively, it could also show just how generic his movies actually were and that his filmography is littered with the occasional mediocre yet affable genre piece that people think "aren't too bad" or are "a bit of harmless fun".

I'm not saying which is right but let us be careful of not falling into the usual trap of re-writing a legacy in an overly positive fashion just because somebody has died young or in tragic circumstances.

Agreed - whilst I defended the man's films, I was still very careful to use the term "watchable", because most of his catalogue is just that.

True Romance, Crimson Tide and Spy Game are GREAT films, though.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 40
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 3:40:37 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Absolutely. I don't think his films are brilliant. I do enjoy most of them for what they are.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 41
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 3:55:45 PM   
MonsterCat

He has made his fair share of utter dross, but he also pulled some great stuff out of the bag. Man on Fire is a brilliant film IMHO.

And De Ja Vu and Unstoppable are two of the most immensely entertaining mainstream flicks to come out in the last ten years. Top Gun, which is probably the one film that comes to people's mind when his name is mentioned, is dumb beyond belief, but it's fun and has a certain kitschy appeal to it.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 20/8/2012 3:56:21 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 42
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 4:04:14 PM   
st3veebee

Man on Fire is fantastic and Deja Vu is very watchable. Unstoppable was not great, though.

I still can't get my head around this. 

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 43
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 4:19:41 PM   
Saltire

Dreadful news, whilst he never got the critical acclaim of his brother, he did make some of the most thrilling mainstream action films of the last thirty years that many of us love; he will be missed.

RIP Tony Scott.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 44
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 4:39:23 PM   
paulyboy

Gutted, loved the guy's films personally.

The likes of Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop II, Days of Thunder & The Last Boy Scout formed a real chunk of my childhood action movie obsession. The subsequant likes of Crimson Tide, Enemy of the State, Spy Game, Man On Fire, Deja Vu & Unstoppable all rocked my socks off as well.

What can I say, massive fan of the guy's testosterone fuelled quick cutting style, for my money far more consistant with his output than his brother.

So sad it should all end this way as well, thoughts are with his family.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 45
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 5:07:34 PM   
directorscut

Poor guy.

Poor Ridley.

I like Top Gun.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 46
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 5:13:05 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Man on Fire is fantastic and Deja Vu is very watchable. Unstoppable was not great, though.

I enjoyed Unstoppable far more than I expected to given the subject matter (runaway train? ). Found it to be a well-shot, well-paced thriller with some solid performances. In fact, thinking about it, it's hard to imagine many other directors being able to make a film like that as tense as it was.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 47
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 5:18:54 PM   
FritzlFan

Really sad news. Seemed like a top dude.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 48
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 5:37:39 PM   
UTB

Reports coming in that he had been diagnosed with "inoperable brain cancer" according to ABC News: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/top-gun-director-tony-scott-inoprable-brain-cancer/story?id=17039434#.UDJnqZpYvM9

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 49
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 7:48:43 PM   
Cool Breeze

Very very sad to hear about this.The Last Boy Scout is one of my favourite action films and Crimson Tide is a favourite as well.If it is indeed true that he had inoperable brain cancer then it is hard to imagine how one would react to such news so we shouldnt judge him for what he did.

RIP Mr Scott.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 50
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 9:33:34 PM   
shool

Gutted by this news. Love alot of his films.

RIP Tony

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 51
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 9:40:55 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I think they should read this at his funeral.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 52
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 20/8/2012 10:46:19 PM   
sanchia

It would appear the inoperable brain cancer has now been confirmed.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 53
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 21/8/2012 9:05:38 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

It would appear the inoperable brain cancer has now been confirmed.

Indeed, poor guy... 2 young sons left behing too. He must have been at his wits end to make that decision.

Tragic stuff.

EDIT: actually it sounds like he may not have been ill at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19322540

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 21/8/2012 9:23:38 AM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 54
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 21/8/2012 3:18:35 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

EDIT: actually it sounds like he may not have been ill at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19322540

Well he was certainly very troubled to commit sucide so you could argue he was mentally ill poor soul. My heart goes out to anyone who is that troubled and their loved ones. Could it not be possible he did have inoperable brain cancer but didn`t tell his family? Lots of people saw it happen and it makes you wonder couldn`t someone have pulled over and stopped him? Horrible for everyone involved.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 55
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 21/8/2012 5:14:54 PM   
sanchia

It is strange that they confirmed last night and now they unconfirm?

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 56
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 21/8/2012 5:21:55 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

No, I think Homer nailed it.

No-one's trying to re-write his legacy, many people have genuine affection and admiration for some of his better films. So what?

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 21/8/2012 5:24:26 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 57
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 21/8/2012 5:27:56 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

quote:

No, I think Homer nailed it.

Yeah, I really like The Last Boy Scout, Crimson Tide, Enemy of the State and True Romance, rather than just thinking they 'aren't too bad'. On the contrary, I think they are very good. He made some shit and I don't think he was the greatest director in the world or even a great one at all but those films I mentioned I personally enjoy. And only one of them you can accuse 'nostalgia' being the reason for my doing so......

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 58
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 21/8/2012 5:45:32 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

It is strange that they confirmed last night and now they unconfirm?

I guess it's just rumours and educated guesses more than anything at the moment. Sad really as I can only imagine how devasting his death is for the family full stop, without the pressure of confirming/denying/fending off the media speculation.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 59
RE: Tony Scott dies. - 8/9/2012 10:39:37 PM   
m_er

rip

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Tony Scott dies. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI