Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: European football

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: European football Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European football - 14/1/2013 11:36:30 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

The big question is whether Barcelona are playing better football since Pep left

I believe Barca can still keep winning if they have a monkey in charge of the team because they're so good. In order to see if Pep really is as good as everyone believes, then let us see him take on a struggling team like Arsenal or Liverpool. If he can turn their fortunes around then i will brand him the best. But i'm just not convinced yet.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 211
RE: European football - 14/1/2013 6:27:09 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

Oh I dunno, the Man U v Liverpool match was pretty decent even though as a Liverpool fan I was left disappointed by the result; but not disheartened as Man U should be miles better than Liverpool just now, but we kept them honest for most of the game. The Arsenal v City match had plenty of drama and had a bit of needle to it which is always good, then Barca proved yet again how brilliant they are once more this season with a comprehensive victory away to a decent Malaga side. All matches were good in their own way in my book.

Do you think Barca might become the La Liga Invincibles? As far as i know they haven't lost a Liga match yet, and looking very strong to end the season unbeaten. I reckon they might just do it! As for yesterdays match. Liverpool put on a good show of strength at the end, but overall contrary to Rodgers analysis, i feel United deserved the victory. I now hope we can go and do a number on Spurs. If we have Wazza back in time, then i'm quite optimistic we can win.

I think Barcelona can go through the whole season undefeated in La Liga; of course they have to play away to Real Madrid and Valencia yet, but yes the way they are playing just now, they have a chance of doing it. I actually dont think they are playing better now than they did in Guardiola's first season, but they are more direct than they were last season, and the goals and shots are coming in from other players than Messi now making them more deadly. I'd just like to see Villa play more for them (though he is out just now with a hamstring injury I believe).

As for the match at Old Trafford you are right, on balance Man Utd probably did deserve the win, but I felt despite the gap in quality between the two clubs just now, Liverpool held their own and that was more pleasing for me as I was expecting a comprehensive defeat there, giving me hope that progress is definitely being made.

I think the Spurs match away will be a real test for you as I expect them to come at you more, but I still think you'll get a draw there. City are looking good though just now even without Yaya and Aguero; I think the title race is far from over though and it may go the distance once more.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 212
RE: European football - 14/1/2013 6:32:20 PM   
Olaf

why do all of Europe's top clubs want Guardiola? Vilanova is clearly the man.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 213
RE: European football - 14/1/2013 6:36:09 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

I was expecting a comprehensive defeat there, giving me hope that progress is definitely being made.

Hmm,to be honest United should/could have gone into the break being atleast 3-up.
Though Liverpool did do well in the second half.
The OT pitch was awful mind,surprised both teams passed the ball well on that surface.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 214
RE: European football - 14/1/2013 7:03:32 PM   
Olaf

Unai Emery back in La Liga: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-struggling-sevilla-name-emery-coach-place-michel-184847477--sow.html

I always thought that he was unlucky to be sacked by Valencia, though his spell at Spartak was pretty much a disaster. Should have enough about him to improve Sevilla's position, at least.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 215
RE: European football - 14/1/2013 11:03:09 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Unai Emery back in La Liga: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-struggling-sevilla-name-emery-coach-place-michel-184847477--sow.html

I always thought that he was unlucky to be sacked by Valencia, though his spell at Spartak was pretty much a disaster. Should have enough about him to improve Sevilla's position, at least.

Yeah good to see Emery back in La Liga, I think the Valencia hierarchy are inside regretting their decision to let him go.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 216
RE: European football - 14/1/2013 11:22:58 PM   
Olaf

I think they really underestimated how good a job he was doing to get consecutive third-place finishes while selling their best players every season (Villa, Silva, Mata, Alba etc). The fact that Levante have a decent shot of finishing ahead of them this season (didn't they get promoted like two years ago?) pretty effectively demonstrates how stark Valencia's decline has been. It's kind of a funny coincidence that Emery's gone to Sevilla since Betis are pretty much doing the same thing, praying that Real's freefall continues and Rayo continue the 'unfashionable clubs from well-established footballing regions outdoing the local big club' theme (Sociedad having a much better season than Bilbao also comes to mind). Espanyol doesn't count because they're jerks.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 217
RE: European football - 16/1/2013 4:11:07 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Olaf already mentioned it in the Arsenal thread, but I think it might have a more natural home here. Pep to Bayern Munich. I'm really pleased about this actually, a classy team with money to spend but not as silly as Chelsea or PSG. Rafa must be running round his living room whooping and punching the air right now.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 218
RE: European football - 16/1/2013 4:16:59 PM   
MOTH

It's a perfect fit for him in terms of the way the club is run. Rafa Hoenigstein and Sid Lowe in the Guardian had both predicted this a few months ago and suggested it would be much more preferable way to test his methods at another club than heading straight to the PL bearpit.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

Post #: 219
RE: European football - 16/1/2013 4:20:53 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

why do all of Europe's top clubs want Guardiola? Vilanova is clearly the man.

Maybe its 'cos of the fact he looks like Mr. Bean and isn't as sexy as Pep!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 220
RE: European football - 16/1/2013 4:21:02 PM   
Olaf

As a Bundesliga fan my natural response is to hate Bayern with a passion, but I'd prefer Pep going there than to City or Chelsea (I'd imagine Mancini might be joining Rafa in celebrating tonight). And as I said elsewhere, they're probably the best club side in Europe right now along with Barca so it was a natural step.

Also, does this mean the hipster league is going mainstream now? so many conflicting emotions.

Post #: 221
RE: European football - 16/1/2013 4:24:15 PM   
Professor Moriarty

As long as there is a Wurst train running at St Pauli its cool to support the Bundesliga (.... I mean, Division 2 counts... doesn't it???)

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 222
RE: European football - 16/1/2013 4:29:24 PM   
Olaf

2.BL is even more underground than the Bundesliga yo (probably on account of literally being underneath it). what do you mean United/Real is your highlight of the CL last 16? Dortmund/Shakhtar is clearly the superior tie for the aesthetes.

Post #: 223
RE: European football - 16/1/2013 4:33:27 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I go to Germany semi-regularly (4 to 6 times a year). They have the most confusing football show. You think you are watching a match, but then suddenly if there is a goal in a game it cuts away. And it might stay there. Or come back. Or go to another game. Especially if you are not down with the German and drinking its a bit of a mindfuck... and some of those football strips don't help much either.

Used to go to watch Karlsruhe, who are now so underground they are under the 2nd Division!. Ah, happy days of stood on the terraces with the beer van just 20 yards away

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 224
RE: European football - 16/1/2013 5:49:56 PM   
Saltire

Great move for Pep, after the mighty Guillem Balague saying last night a deal was 90% done with them and he comes trumps again for stories! Really glad he's went there over the spoilt plaything that is Chelsea and new upstart Man City. Bayern are already looking strong to win the CL this year yet again, and with him at the helm, they could be looking good in that competition for quite a few years.

Post #: 225
RE: European football - 16/1/2013 7:47:00 PM   
Olaf

I tend to take 80% of Balague's postings with a pinch of salt after he said a deal between Arsenal and Mata was on the verge of being confirmed. And this is what he updated with yesterday...

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 226
RE: European football - 16/1/2013 11:15:26 PM   
Saltire

He did say on the show it was 90% which wasnt a deal at the time, but most of what I hear from him he gets bang on. No journo can get 100% of everything right, but compared to the waffle that is spouted on rumours from our guys, his stuff seems to have more credence about his stories than many of theirs.

Barca sloppy tonight and got punished for it; Malaga equalised to 2 - 2 three minutes from the end of the match despite being down to 10 men. Tut tut.

< Message edited by Saltire -- 16/1/2013 11:16:04 PM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 227
RE: European football - 19/1/2013 6:58:56 PM   
Olaf

quote:

I think they really underestimated how good a job he was doing to get consecutive third-place finishes while selling their best players every season (Villa, Silva, Mata, Alba etc). The fact that Levante have a decent shot of finishing ahead of them this season (didn't they get promoted like two years ago?) pretty effectively demonstrates how stark Valencia's decline has been. It's kind of a funny coincidence that Emery's gone to Sevilla since Betis are pretty much doing the same thing, praying that Real's freefall continues and Rayo continue the 'unfashionable clubs from well-established footballing regions outdoing the local big club' theme (Sociedad having a much better season than Bilbao also comes to mind). Espanyol doesn't count because they're jerks.

quote:

(Sociedad having a much better season than Bilbao also comes to mind)

quote:

Sociedad

2-0 down after 25 minutes ain't no thing. gg Barca

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 228
RE: European football - 19/1/2013 7:25:06 PM   
Saltire

Guess we spoke too soon about Barca going undefeated all season - Pique was a silly silly boy, too much thinking about that photo with Shakira through the week I expect.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 229
RE: European football - 19/1/2013 7:26:52 PM   
Olaf

If my wife was Shakira, I wouldn't leave the house let alone be a professional footballer.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 230
RE: European football - 19/1/2013 8:23:26 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Before the photos I still had myself convinced that they were just really good friends

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 231
RE: European football - 19/1/2013 8:47:26 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Guess we spoke too soon about Barca going undefeated all season - Pique was a silly silly boy, too much thinking about that photo with Shakira through the week I expect.

Yeah we did! But they were looking strong to nab the title of 'La Liga Invincibles'. Still Real Sociedad were worth the win.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 232
RE: European football - 20/1/2013 11:41:54 PM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

Yeah we did! But they were looking strong to nab the title of 'La Liga Invincibles'. Still Real Sociedad were worth the win.

Yeah Sociedad were well worth it in the end; no wins for Barca in two games though, crisis?

Post #: 233
RE: European football - 30/1/2013 7:15:47 PM   
Professor Moriarty

So, are we going Real v Barca, or Arsenal v Liverpool tonight?

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 234
RE: European football - 30/1/2013 7:36:54 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

So, are we going Real v Barca, or Arsenal v Liverpool tonight?

Only one of these games has got the two best players in the world. So for that reason, I'll be watching Carragher vs. Walcott.

Post #: 235
RE: European football - 31/1/2013 9:54:18 AM   
Saltire

I switched over regularly like I do Champions' League matches - missed Giroud's goal but both matches were really good in their own ways.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 236
RE: European football - 3/2/2013 7:12:45 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Not really European, but outside England... Ivory Coast go out of the African Cup of Nations at the QF round. That team has to be one of the most-underperforming of all time.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 237
RE: European football - 3/2/2013 7:18:34 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah Sociedad were well worth it in the end; no wins for Barca in two games though, crisis?

Yeah probably; Messi is going mad too!

@Professor Moriarty, yeah really disappointed with them. And to think they were tournament favourites, but then again who wouldn't call them that especially when they have all those star players in their midst.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 238
RE: European football - 3/2/2013 7:55:36 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Valencia should have won that. Barcelona looking increasingly vulnerable at the back. If they come up against Bayern or a Shakhtar side playing with confidence they could be in trouble in the Champions League.

Post #: 239
RE: European football - 4/2/2013 12:19:53 PM   
Nexus Wookie

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/match-fixing-champions-league-game-1585390

Anyone seen this yet? Thoughts? My own =

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 4/2/2013 12:26:17 PM >

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: European football Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI