Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: European football

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: European football Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European football - 7/1/2013 10:53:23 PM   
Olaf

Didier actually might have been a good shout for the team of the year after the CL heroics, though the combination of two of the best players in the world being strikers/Falcao being a striker/RVP being a striker/spending half a year in China probably counted against him. Mind you, only being active for half of the calendar year didn't stop Pep getting nominated for best manager and Del Bosque winning it - surely Klopp, Conte (dodgy admittedly), Simeone etc achieved more this year?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 181
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 8:43:45 AM   
jonson

I can't really argue with Messi, he is probably now the best player I have ever seen (and I remember Super Frankie Worthington) but for fuck's sake, he won nothing last year! He's had it 3 times in a row, why did they not at least reward a player who won a European trophy/League title? Seems odd to me.
Sure, vote for the best player on the planet (which I guess is what they are doing) but if you include the National team performances, Messi is nowhere to be seen.
And don't talk to me about the Team of the Year. I realise the standard of the Prremiership is not what it was, but fucking hell, somebody obviously doesn't have SKY.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 182
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 10:08:16 AM   
MOTH

Well, Messi was consistently excellent for Argentina in 2012, scoring 12 goals, including a hat-trick against Brazil, even if he didn't win a trophy. Iniesta's contribution to Spain was arguably greater, but it would still have been pushing it to award him over Messi this year. 2010 was the year it should have gone to a Spanish player.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 183
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 10:43:37 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I think the very set-up of the Ballon is that it is an individual award for a team event. So imo you don't have to be in the best team or have won anything to take home the award.

For the record, my voting would have been Messi, Falcao, Drogba

Which I know misses out a lot of talent, and also would have robbed the world of the great pic of Ronaldo not winning

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 184
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 11:52:56 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Robbie Keane knows his football:

quote:

Captain Republic of Ireland Keane Robbie Messi Lionel Cristiano Ronaldo Iniesta Andrs

They're probably the only three players he's heard of.

Mind, Messi may be a footballing genius but that suit was a fucking disgrace.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 185
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 12:16:22 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I can't really argue with Messi, he is probably now the best player I have ever seen (and I remember Super Frankie Worthington) but for fuck's sake, he won nothing last year! He's had it 3 times in a row, why did they not at least reward a player who won a European trophy/League title? Seems odd to me.
Sure, vote for the best player on the planet (which I guess is what they are doing) but if you include the National team performances, Messi is nowhere to be seen.
And don't talk to me about the Team of the Year. I realise the standard of the Prremiership is not what it was, but fucking hell, somebody obviously doesn't have SKY.

You've hit the nail right on the head my friend, right on the fucking head....

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 186
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 12:17:02 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I'm going to be in a small minority and say that I think Ronaldo probably deserved the award yesterday.
I like Messi,hard not to and his records speaks for itself,but Ronaldo did carry Real Madrid last season and he did perfrom very well in the Euros carrying a much weaker team (especially in comparison with Messi's Argentina).

As its an open vote it does make it difficult for Ronaldo to a degree,we all know that Messi is the darling of World Football at the minute.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 187
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 12:32:29 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

I'm going to be in a small minority and say that I think Ronaldo probably deserved the award yesterday.
I like Messi,hard not to and his records speaks for itself,but Ronaldo did carry Real Madrid last season and he did perfrom very well in the Euros carrying a much weaker team (especially in comparison with Messi's Argentina).

As its an open vote it does make it difficult for Ronaldo to a degree,we all know that Messi is the darling of World Football at the minute.

Yeah everyones in love with the midget right now. Yeah he scored a shit load of goals, but he didn't have anythibg to show for it. Wheras as you say, Ronaldo pretty much single handidly wrestled back the La Liga title from the same free scoring midget and his teams clutches. His winner last season in the Nou Camp sealed the title and showed the world he can match the best. But we all know Uefa and all the people who voted, have a soft spot for the Hobbit.

Post #: 188
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 12:36:45 PM   
Nexus Wookie

And that best 11 line up was a joke. You'd think it was best of La Liga, not Europe/ the world. No players from the Bundesliga? Serie A? Premier League? Really? And they have the likes of Pique and was it Marcelo, in the line up? Ah man. Fuck the Bollocks D'or.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 189
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 7:02:20 PM   
Olaf

World XI based on votes from English-based players. Conclusion: English-based players are plebs

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Post #: 190
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 7:30:27 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

Yeah everyones in love with the midget right now. Yeah he scored a shit load of goals, but he didn't have anythibg to show for it. Wheras as you say, Ronaldo pretty much single handidly wrestled back the La Liga title from the same free scoring midget and his teams clutches. His winner last season in the Nou Camp sealed the title and showed the world he can match the best. But we all know Uefa and all the people who voted, have a soft spot for the Hobbit.

It's an individual award though. Real might have won the league but Messi was freakishly good this year (91 goals and 22 assists in one year??). Not to mention that Messi had a better year on an international level as mentioned above - Ronaldo didn't show up for two out of three group games at the Euros, played amazingly in the next two and choked heroically in the semi-final.

A backlash is always going to be inevitable when one player wins it four years in a row, but are we actually at the stage of being sick of him because he's too good? Focus on the fact that you're able to watch possibly (probably?) the best player of all time at the peak of his abilities, it might be a while until it happens again.

Post #: 191
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 8:33:38 PM   
horribleives

Or alternatively, if you're gonna lambast him, at least lambast him for wearing that ridiculous fucking suit.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 192
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 8:34:01 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

World XI based on votes from English-based players. Conclusion: English-based players are plebs

Whats wrong with this line-up?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 193
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 8:41:36 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Hart in goal is a joke for starters.

Beyond that I can't see much wrong with it myself. Cole is a bit suspect maybe but I haven't seen enough football in the last year to state with any authority that there was a better left back in Europe last year. Up till about 2 or 3 years ago I'd have had Evra ahead of him every single time but then Evra went to shit for 2 and a half seasons. Pique is another one that probably shouldn't be there I imagine.

That front 3 and the midfield looks a bit tasty although I reckon I'd have Pirlo in it ahead of Toure.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 194
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 8:49:03 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Hart in goal is a joke for starters.

Beyond that I can't see much wrong with it myself. Cole is a bit suspect maybe but I haven't seen enough football in the last year to state with any authority that there was a better left back in Europe last year. Up till about 2 or 3 years ago I'd have had Evra ahead of him every single time but then Evra went to shit for 2 and a half seasons. Pique is another one that probably shouldn't be there I imagine.

That front 3 and the midfield looks a bit tasty although I reckon I'd have Pirlo in it ahead of Toure.

Hart was in good form last year and he did become one of City's most consistent players in there title winning team.
Okay, he's going through a wobbler now but its not a total shock why fellow England professionals have chosen him.
Pique gets abit of rough slack from certain supporters,but there is know doubt he's a very accomplished defender and has been an (underrated) integral part for both Barca and Spain.

Personally I think its a well chosen team.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 195
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 8:59:36 PM   
Olaf

Yeah Hart is the main one that came to mind. Neuer would get the nod for me after his performances at both levels this year, though Casillas is always a fairly indisputable choice. Philipp Lahm or Fabio Coentrao at left-back (in England alone Leighton Baines has been better than Cole this year), Chiellini at CB instead of Pique, Piszczek instead of Ramos (whose inclusion I would have accepted at CB, since his best performances this season have been in that position). Toure has been far below his best in the second half of the year so Pirlo would be a better bet. Van Persie has had a great season but I'd still have to with Falcao, though you can't argue with either really.

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Or alternatively, if you're gonna lambast him, at least lambast him for wearing that ridiculous fucking suit.

it was pretty horrifying. 'He could have been the greatest, if he'd only worn a proper suit that time'

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 196
RE: European football - 8/1/2013 9:48:31 PM   
Rinc

When on form Pique is the best centre back in the world imo. But he hasn't been on form this year, in fact it's probably been his poorest year.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 197
RE: European football - 9/1/2013 1:29:55 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

In the last year he has really stepped up for Argentina.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 198
RE: European football - 9/1/2013 1:32:05 PM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

You don't seem bitter lol. Ronaldo wouldn't have achieved the La Liga title last season if it weren't for Di Maria and particularly Ozil so he didn't win the bloody thing single-handed, lets get that straight now.

Post #: 199
RE: European football - 9/1/2013 1:37:30 PM   
Saltire

quote:

And that best 11 line up was a joke. You'd think it was best of La Liga, not Europe/ the world. No players from the Bundesliga? Serie A? Premier League? Really? And they have the likes of Pique and was it Marcelo, in the line up? Ah man. Fuck the Bollocks D'or.

Marcelo was fantastic last season, when he's on form, which he was he's a brilliant attacking full-back. Pique I agree with you however, brilliant defender (and attacker when he moves forward) but he did have a very poor season domestically though I assume he got the votes for how well he linked up with Ramos at the Euro's; you could then choose one of the Juve CB's, Kompany or someone else in that position. I couldn't have Alves in there either on last year's form, I personally would have went with Lahm, and probably I would have replaced Alonso with Ozil who was sensational domestically; though I think Alonso was very consistent domestically and had a good Euro's too so can understand why he's there.

The rest of the team I think is pretty fair imo.

< Message edited by Saltire -- 9/1/2013 1:42:06 PM >

Post #: 200
RE: European football - 9/1/2013 2:47:47 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

quote:

You don't seem bitter lol. Ronaldo wouldn't have achieved the La Liga title last season if it weren't for Di Maria and particularly Ozil so he didn't win the bloody thing single-handed, lets get that straight now.

Lol don't get me wrong, i love the little guy. He truly is a footballing wizard. But i am getting a little tired of seeing his mug shot everywhere! And yes Di Maria and Ozil were brilliant. Those three in particular swung the title in Madrids favour.

You know, i'm not THAT bitter that Ronaldo or even Iniesta didn't win. I take confort from the fact that the only time Ron won the Ballon D'or was when he was playing for us!

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 201
RE: European football - 9/1/2013 2:55:45 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lol don't get me wrong, i love the little guy. He truly is a footballing wizard. But i am getting a little tired of seeing his mug shot everywhere! And yes Di Maria and Ozil were brilliant. Those three in particular swung the title in Madrids favour.

You know, i'm not THAT bitter that Ronaldo or even Iniesta didn't win. I take confort from the fact that the only time Ron won the Ballon D'or was when he was playing for us!

I bet he was thinking the same.
Man Utd= Ego-trip-World Player of the Year award= take me home!!!

Post #: 202
RE: European football - 10/1/2013 9:02:56 AM   
Nexus Wookie

His reaction when the winner was announced was hilarious. His thoughts: "ah that little prick" ! Lol!

Post #: 203
RE: European football - 11/1/2013 12:18:44 PM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Personally I'd have loved to have seen Iniesta win it as he's my favourite player just now even if he didn't have the best season domestically for Barca though he was superb at the Euro's, even if it was just for his contribution to football over the last 7 or 8 years. I think Ronaldo still has a chance to grab another Ballon D'Or but I think he has to leave Real Madrid (which is looking increasingly likely) firstly for it to happen.

Post #: 204
RE: European football - 11/1/2013 12:21:50 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Personally I'd have loved to have seen Iniesta win it as he's my favourite player just now even if he didn't have the best season domestically for Barca though he was superb at the Euro's, even if it was just for his contribution to football over the last 7 or 8 years. I think Ronaldo still has a chance to grab another Ballon D'Or but I think he has to leave Real Madrid (which is looking increasingly likely) firstly for it to happen.

As strange as it sounds you could be right.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 205
RE: European football - 13/1/2013 9:45:07 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I thought that Malaga might have given Barca half a game. But no. The pass from Messi for Fabregas' goal was just sublime. All, in all, 3 games that offered a lot, but I didn't quite get what I was hoping for.

Post #: 206
RE: European football - 14/1/2013 12:18:47 AM   
Saltire

Oh I dunno, the Man U v Liverpool match was pretty decent even though as a Liverpool fan I was left disappointed by the result; but not disheartened as Man U should be miles better than Liverpool just now, but we kept them honest for most of the game. The Arsenal v City match had plenty of drama and had a bit of needle to it which is always good, then Barca proved yet again how brilliant they are once more this season with a comprehensive victory away to a decent Malaga side. All matches were good in their own way in my book.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 207
RE: European football - 14/1/2013 9:52:18 AM   
MOTH

Busquets had a sublime pirouette in the second half to get away from 2 players, he's been utterly outstanding this year.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 208
RE: European football - 14/1/2013 10:18:29 AM   
Professor Moriarty

The big question is whether Barcelona are playing better football since Pep left

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 209
RE: European football - 14/1/2013 11:31:44 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Oh I dunno, the Man U v Liverpool match was pretty decent even though as a Liverpool fan I was left disappointed by the result; but not disheartened as Man U should be miles better than Liverpool just now, but we kept them honest for most of the game. The Arsenal v City match had plenty of drama and had a bit of needle to it which is always good, then Barca proved yet again how brilliant they are once more this season with a comprehensive victory away to a decent Malaga side. All matches were good in their own way in my book.

Do you think Barca might become the La Liga Invincibles? As far as i know they haven't lost a Liga match yet, and looking very strong to end the season unbeaten. I reckon they might just do it! As for yesterdays match. Liverpool put on a good show of strength at the end, but overall contrary to Rodgers analysis, i feel United deserved the victory. I now hope we can go and do a number on Spurs. If we have Wazza back in time, then i'm quite optimistic we can win.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: European football Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI