Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: European football

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: European football Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European football - 18/9/2012 9:45:19 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Man City, still bad for football?

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 61
RE: European football - 18/9/2012 10:10:04 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

Man City, still bad for football?

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 62
RE: European football - 18/9/2012 10:40:41 PM   
Saltire

What a match, it was a real slow-burner, but once City scored the game opened right up. City were unlucky not to get anything out of the game as their tactics were spot on, but in the end they did 'awaken the beast'!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 63
RE: European football - 18/9/2012 10:50:57 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Ronaldo will get the headlines but Di Maria really impressed tonight and I thought Modric's cameo really gave Madrid more central impetus.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 64
RE: European football - 19/9/2012 9:40:55 AM   
superdan

Nice to see Roberto Mankini exercising his superlative man-management skills again by publicly bollocking his goalie for daring to offer an honest and reasonable opinion.

Post #: 65
RE: European football - 19/9/2012 11:09:21 AM   
Skiba

That's the first time I've seen Kompany look ordinary...Ronaldo skinned him several times (no shame in that I guess) and he ducked out of the way for Ron's goal. Nastasic looked pretty good though.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 66
RE: European football - 19/9/2012 1:12:47 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

What a shame five minutes away from a famous victory, they should have battened down the hatches Chelsea style. I reckon they'll have gained the confidence to revenge themselves upon Real in the return fixture.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 67
RE: European football - 19/9/2012 1:35:28 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

What a shame five minutes away from a famous victory, they should have battened down the hatches Chelsea style. I reckon they'll have gained the confidence to revenge themselves upon Real in the return fixture.

Mark "Tactical Genius" Lawrenson came to the same conclusion last night but I really don't agree. If you look at Ronaldo's goal (and Marcelo's goal, and Benzema's goal to a lesser extent) there's at least six/seven City players inside the box and it's just inviting pressure from a team like Real. They did the same in the first half, giving their opponents far too much space on the ball by standing off (Mancini refers to this in his post-match interview if I recall correctly), and they were lucky not to be a goal or three down by HT. Pressing hard and breaking quickly like they did for much of the second half was their best option, but they were just too conservative at the end of the game against a team who are much more effective at bypassing a deep defensive line than Barca.

Other than that, magnificent game - I couldn't get a stream for the Arsenal match but I'm kind of glad I didn't. I love you Champions League.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 68
RE: European football - 19/9/2012 5:14:37 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Ronaldo will get the headlines but Di Maria really impressed tonight and I thought Modric's cameo really gave Madrid more central impetus.

Di Maria is a wonderful player, he has it all. However he is the most annoying diver in the world and for that I can't like him.

What a bench Madrid had last night though, utterly frightening.

Post #: 69
RE: European football - 19/9/2012 5:37:10 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

Di Maria is a wonderful player, he has it all. However he is the most annoying diver in the world and for that I can't like him.

What a bench Madrid had last night though, utterly frightening.

To be fair there is a long,long line of divers who are just as bad,doesn't make it right though but thats where Football has been heading for the past 10 years , atleast.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 70
RE: European football - 19/9/2012 6:22:40 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Mark "Tactical Genius" Lawrenson came to the same conclusion last night but I really don't agree.

I think if that been Chelsea they would have held on because they would have people like John Terry flinging himself in front of shots as opposed to ducking them like Kompany, plus they would have closed down Real much more effectively than Man City did. In the last five minutes defending a slender lead a good team should be able to see that out really - City weren't closing down quickly enough which is why Real got two crucial shots away.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 71
RE: European football - 19/9/2012 7:40:15 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Mark "Tactical Genius" Lawrenson came to the same conclusion last night but I really don't agree.

I think if that been Chelsea they would have held on because they would have people like John Terry flinging himself in front of shots as opposed to ducking them like Kompany, plus they would have closed down Real much more effectively than Man City did. In the last five minutes defending a slender lead a good team should be able to see that out really - City weren't closing down quickly enough which is why Real got two crucial shots away.

But they weren't even trying to close them down - they tried to do like Chelsea, who drew back into their own box and stood off the attacking players. It works against Barcelona because they struggle to break through a defence that stands off and sits deep (since they usually produce space for their passing game by pulling pressing defenders out of position), but against a team that are so threatening from distance (look at where all Real's goals came from) it's tactical suicide.

Not decided on what game I'm watching tonight (though I suspect the decision has probably been made for me, need to check the tv guide). Probably the United match for EBOUE, though the Juve/Chelsea match should be interesting. If I could get a decent stream I'd probably watch Bayern/Valencia though.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 19/9/2012 7:41:47 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 72
RE: European football - 19/9/2012 8:56:32 PM   
directorscut

Ahahaha. Nani you asshat.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 73
RE: European football - 19/9/2012 10:05:33 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Ahahaha. Nani you asshat.

If Nani wants to stop those comparisons with C.Ronaldo then a better grasp of taking a penalty might be a wise idea.
I dont get that penalty technique to be honest,I think the GK has more of a chance of saving it.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 74
RE: European football - 2/10/2012 8:00:08 PM   
directorscut

Cluj are less shit than I expected them to be.

Post #: 75
RE: European football - 2/10/2012 8:46:11 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

United are shit than I expected them to be.

edited

Post #: 76
RE: European football - 2/10/2012 8:48:09 PM   
directorscut

Nah, I expected them to be pretty shit.

Post #: 77
RE: European football - 2/10/2012 9:00:42 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

edited

Shit maybe, but still 2-1 up courtesy of two excellent goals by RVP.

I hope I don't live to regret saying that

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 78
RE: European football - 2/10/2012 9:43:37 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

edited

Shit maybe, but still 2-1 up courtesy of two excellent goals by RVP.

I hope I don't live to regret saying that

Well , a win is a win and in Europe ,especially away, it is a big plus,but United (like always) make it hard for themselves.
Cleverly and Anderson as a midfield is a far more productive,inventive pairing I think,as I don't think Carrick or Giggs have played well this year and Scholes cant go on forever.

Van Persie seems to be 'in and out' of games yet he is making the difference in goals at the minute and Rooney seems to be playing deeper and deeper over the past few seasons and is very much being evolved into the archetype number 10.

That defence though

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 79
RE: European football - 3/10/2012 12:14:36 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Barca's Puyol Breaks Arm CLICKY!

Post #: 80
RE: European football - 3/10/2012 12:39:35 AM   
directorscut

I didn't need to see that. Poor guy.

On a lighter note the physio looks like Messi. Or maybe Messi is just that good, he can moonlight as the club's physio.

Post #: 81
RE: European football - 3/10/2012 9:35:43 AM   
MOTH

seen that last night - a more pointless broken arm you couldn't hope to see. 2-0 up, cruising, El Clasico on Sunday, Puyol still barrels into box at 100 mph in crazed, hopeflessly optimistic attempt to head ball, ends up landing from great height on his own arm and banjaxing it. To be fair, though, he took it like a man - a cursory signal to bench that his arm was now doublejointed and then lay quietly whilst help arrived. No tears or sobbing or histrionics. Tough bloke.  

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

Post #: 82
RE: European football - 3/10/2012 9:46:40 AM   
impqueen

Crikey that looks awful.

Yes, always.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 83
RE: European football - 3/10/2012 12:28:24 PM   
Arron_

I love Puyol.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 84
RE: European football - 3/10/2012 10:50:00 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arron_

I love Puyol.

How could you not, top defender and top bloke, a real captain. He's had a lot of luck this last year, all of it bad.

(in reply to Arron_)
Post #: 85
RE: European football - 4/10/2012 7:31:21 AM   
boaby

Aye, saw Puyol's "aiya bassa" moment.

Put me off my tea.

Must be handy though to grow up supporting your local team, playing years for them, becoming the talismanic cult captain and for that local team to be Barcelona. Still, betcha he's gutted he wasn't born in Aberdeen. I ken fine I would be. I mean, Carles is a fine plaaar but he'll never feel what Martin Buchan or Russell Anderson have. Poor lad. Then he finds himself prone on foreign turf with an arm looking like a 5 year old drew it.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 86
RE: European football - 4/10/2012 10:56:34 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

I love Puyol.

How could you not, top defender and top bloke, a real captain. He's had a lot of luck this last year, all of it bad.

I've always thought he'd do well in the Premier League - hope he gets better soon

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 87
RE: European football - 4/10/2012 11:18:41 AM   
boaby

quote:

quote:

quote:

I love Puyol.

I've always thought he'd do well in the Premier League - hope he gets better soon

What, even on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke?

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 88
RE: European football - 4/10/2012 11:44:48 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

quote:

quote:

quote:

I love Puyol.

What, even on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke?

That would play havoc with his magnificent barnet.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 89
RE: European football - 4/10/2012 7:37:49 PM   
Saltire

Lol and it is a legendary barnet at that, he's not changed it since he came through La Masia at 17!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: European football Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI